closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Other Women like Mid Sized Rolex Datejust?

Do Other Women like Mid Sized Rolex Datejust?

My husband spends his whole life on this forum and as my name is in his forum title I thought I would make a post about the possibility of getting a 36mm Rolex Datejust for my Birthday.

I tend to borrow most of his watches (mostly to annoy him) and I really like bigger watches. I am 5'11" and an ex GB athlete and so big heart rate monitors were common place. I love the blue dial Rolex Datejusts (if Rob can get one) but what I want to know is:

Do other women (I have been told there are some on this forum) like bigger watches and is this making mid sized watches a niche market (too small for men and only a handful of women who like them)?

I hope this is OK for my first post.

Vikky

Grand Master

Re: Do Other Women like Mid Sized Rolex Datejust?

My wife wears this

Looks great

His & Hers!

RIAC

Hi V

My wife had a mid size a few years ago but very firmly prefers larger

The current fave:-

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I have seen women wearing big blingy watches but they look cheap to me. I saw a woman wearing a Pepsi GMT and I thought it suited her and made her more attractive :) ......to me...
    Go for a 40mm, you know it makes sense!

I have worn one of my husband's Panerais (a blue one!) and that is 44mm but I don't like the 40mm Rolexes as they just look to manly.

The ladies Rolexes are far too small even 31mm but the 36mm seems to be perfect but trying to get one with a blue dial, white gold bezel and roman numerals is proving too much even for Rob (either that or he is spending even more time than normal on forums!).

I love the Breitling above but I just don't do gold watches and sorry the Rolex with Gold and steel just doesn't work with me.

Vikky

Quote Originally Posted by vikkyrob
    I have worn one of my husband's Panerais (a blue one!) and that is 44mm but I don't like the 40mm Rolexes as they just look to manly.

The ladies Rolexes are far too small even 31mm but the 36mm seems to be perfect but trying to get one with a blue dial, white gold bezel and roman numerals is proving too much even for Rob (either that or he is spending even more time than normal on forums!).

I love the Breitling above but I just don't do gold watches and sorry the Rolex with Gold and steel just doesn't work with me.

Vikky
    It's not gold - it's SS!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My husband spends his whole life on this forum and as my name is in his forum title I thought I would make a post about the possibility of getting a 36mm Rolex Datejust for my Birthday.

I tend to borrow most of his watches (mostly to annoy him) and I really like bigger watches. I am 5'11" and an ex GB athlete and so big heart rate monitors were common place. I love the blue dial Rolex Datejusts (if Rob can get one) but what I want to know is:

Do other women (I have been told there are some on this forum) like bigger watches and is this making mid sized watches a niche market (too small for men and only a handful of women who like them)?

I hope this is OK for my first post.

Vikky
    hi vikky and welcome to the forum . nice to have another woman on board. which discipline did you compete in? all the best . dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master

As a fairly small-wristed man I`m happy with the 36mm Rolex offerings although I wear a 40mm Sub quite often.

I guess it's all a matter of taste and preference, but to me a big watch on a small wrist looks wrong whether it's on a man or a woman.

Maybe I`m old-fashioned (age 53) but I think smaller watches look more feminine....but I don`t like to see women drinking pints either :) .

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Vikky
    It's not gold - it's SS!
    I think Vikky's referring to the bi-metal Datejust that 100thmonkey posted and which most definitely contains gold!

Master

I believe some do .. though my own spouse has a small number of inexpensive watches and they're nearly all of the size usually indicated by the term "ladies' watch" and I suppose that's more typical.

Personally I really get on with mid-sized watches; a lot of mine are about 34-36mm or so including my favourite watch, an IWC Mk XII. I also chose the mid-sized Seamaster when I bought one. I'm quite happy with larger watches like a Rolex GMT or a Speedmaster but I think that my Rolex Date suits my 7" wrist more than a Datejust would.

Grand Master

Have you considered this http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159238

ps no connection to seller
    RIAC

Master

Hi Vikky

There aren't many females here but there are plenty of women...
    I wear 40mm plus.

Vicky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Have you considered this http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159238

ps no connection to seller
    I'll second this, my fiance is wearing one as we speak and she's only 5ft 6" and 8st!

Admittedly, she also had this.

I like the look of Cartier but I have had a Cartier Ballon Bleu and it was nothing but problems. I really fancy a Datejust or any mid size Rolex with a blue dial (or blue in it). I am amazed at how quickly people reply, I can see why it is so addictive (although I know very little about watches). I am trying to put my 11 week baby to bed and I keep finding myself dashing back to read the comments.

P.S to the question asked, I was GB 400m no.1 U21 and 3rd in the junior European champs in Slovinia in 1993, but a dislocated knee Ended my career at it's peak. :cry:

Journeyman

Personally I really dislike this fashion for huge watches. Men's watches at 45-50mm look like clown's watches to me, that or something out of a fairground pick-and-grab machine! Master craftsmen spent a century miniaturising the movements of fine watches only for the marketing men to convince footballers and bling boys that over-sized is good because it creates a bigger space for the logo, now everyone wants one. :lol:

Women's watches need be no bigger than 25-30mm and mens around 35-40mm look just fine to me. If size is important to you then fine but consider there is an alternative to following the flock you know. ;)

Grand Master

Do Other Women like Mid Sized Rolex Datejust?

I agree entirely. Now Bring forth a small child for I need my chimney sweeping!

How Victorian.
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rich5ltr
    Women's watches need be no bigger than 25-30mm and mens around 35-40mm look just fine to me. If size is important to you then fine but consider there is an alternative to following the flock you know. ;)
    :roll: :roll:

My daughter fancies a Datejust (I think it's a 178274) with a pink dial, but I think the price is putting her off :)

Master

My wife wears one of those slightly smaller sized Tudor subs pretty much all the time. She tried it on once and that was it, it was hers.

I think the sort of thing you might be looking for is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000 with the blue dial, like this one?
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/oyster ... chTypeId=U
    ...not great pictures from that seller, I have seen some before on the net that make it look really stunning.

This is the watch I after in 36mm but I am fully aware that I will have to compromise as I am wanting (budget constraint unfortunately) a second hand model.

I agree that fashion has gone mad but I have a 26mm Tag and it is just too small (maybe my eye sight is going at 35 years old!)

looks nice.must admit i like bigger watches on women,wife has a 34mm tudor ranger and daughter a 36mm mid sub

Hi Vikky

I know you may not have thought of this, but at 40mm and a pretty unsiex design I think it would look fantastic on a woman... it's also a very, very good watch.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161436

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Hi Vikky

I know you may not have thought of this, but at 40mm and a pretty unsiex design I think it would look fantastic on a woman... it's also a very, very good watch.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161436
    And the lack of bezel makes them come up small!
    RIAC

I love JLC and my husband has just bought a JLC Grand Date Reverso (that is what he is telling me). I have an IWC Jubilee 34mm which has a clear back on it and I have been told that these watches, which were limited to 1000 pieces in 1993, although IWC use a modified JLC movement.

I am looking for an everyday watch, which is waterproof and baby proof, and the Rolex seems to fit the bill nicely.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    :roll: :roll:
    Sorry, why the double rolleyes? Is it against the rules to express an opinion that differs from the usual on this forum?

Grand Master

Personally I really dislike this fashion for huge watches. Men's watches at 45-50mm look like clown's watches to me, that or something out of a fairground pick-and-grab machine! Master craftsmen spent a century miniaturising the movements of fine watches only for the marketing men to convince footballers and bling boys that over-sized is good because it creates a bigger space for the logo, now everyone wants one. :lol:

The flock dont wear big watches, people with big wrists wear big watches and people who like big watches wear big watches!

Whilst we respect your opinion it is tainted with a contempt and disregard for larger units and considers those who wear them to be sheep, bling boys, or celebrities.

I dont think you intended causing offence but it might of done that
    RIAC

Current girlfriend and the last few wear/wore larger watches from 36mm to 42mm - Rolex Explorer, Daytona and a few sports watches.

I think the DJ is a good size on the current fashion has pushed them out of younger male wearers - I mostly wear 40mm-44mm these days - but the GF wants to borrow watches up to 40mm and they look ok too.

It really is the distance between the 12 o'clock lug and the 6 O'clock lug that matters and as long as the watch head doesn't stick out either side of your wrist then the watch is a wearable size.
    It's just a matter of time...

Current girlfriend and the last few wear/wore larger watches from 36mm to 42mm - Rolex Explorer, Daytona and a few sports watches.

I think the DJ is a good size on the current fashion has pushed them out of younger male wearers - I mostly wear 40mm-44mm these days - but the GF wants to borrow watches up to 40mm and they look ok too.

It really is the distance between the 12 o'clock lug and the 6 O'clock lug that matters and as long as the watch head doesn't stick out either side of your wrist then the watch is a wearable size.

Journeyman

I don't think you intended causing offence but it might of done that
    I did not intend offence but so often I read threads about people being concerned that a 45mm watch will look silly on their wrist but then satisfy themselves that it will be ok because it "wears small", this remark alone suggests they are self conscious that the watch is too large. The "Clown's watch" comment was a running joke about a 50mm watch on another forum. It is however a fact that, for whatever reason, in the last 10 years watch sizes have increased enormously and I've yet to hear a logical reason for this other than fashion. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Here's one that's 38mm but very nice, these can used for any occasion.

http://www.peterburrowes.co.uk/watches/h0685.html

Nice watch but Jordan (Katie Price) has one. Enough to put anyone off one!!!

Grand Master

I don't think you intended causing offence but it might of done that
    I did not intend offence but so often I read threads about people being concerned that a 45mm watch will look silly on their wrist but then satisfy themselves that it will be ok because it "wears small", this remark alone suggests they are self conscious that the watch is too large. The "Clown's watch" comment was a running joke about a 50mm watch on another forum. It is however a fact that, for whatever reason, in the last 10 years watch sizes have increased enormously and I've yet to hear a logical reason for this other than fashion. Sorry if I offended anyone.

42 is the new 40. The truth told if you didnt advertise what size a watch actually was and just put it on your wrist not knowing you will find that its a different perception. Look at DSSD, its only big because you compare it to those before, does anyone mention that Bell & Ross are big! Nope not a single thread.

50mm is top of the scale (right now) but 42-47mm is perfectly acceptable and no 'Big Top' required
    RIAC

Journeyman

50mm is top of the scale (right now) but 42-47mm is perfectly acceptable and no 'Big Top' required
    Ah, that was a thread about a chap on eBay who converts pocket watches to wear on the wrist by fitting lugs and a strap. Opinion was divided...

Nice watch but Jordan (Katie Price) has one. Enough to put anyone off one!!!

Don't worry, her watch will no doubt be like others bits of her, and could very well be fake :lol:

I think you've made a very good choice - both in brand, its use, styling and the size. I am sure it will suit your needs well and it is quite an acceptable size - you won't get strange looks; well maybe from watch geeks if they notice it ;)

Grand Master

Ah, that was a thread about a chap on eBay who converts pocket watches to wear on the wrist by fitting lugs and a strap. Opinion was divided...

Is his name 'Guido' ??
    RIAC

Journeyman

I believe it was.

Grand Master

The flock dont wear big watches, people with big wrists wear big watches and people who like big watches wear big watches!

Whilst we respect your opinion it is tainted with a contempt and disregard for larger units and considers those who wear them to be sheep, bling boys, or celebrities.

I dont think you intended causing offence but it might of done that
    Have to agree with Rich5ltr on this one...there is a strong element of fashion with the big watch thing and folks do get drawn into it rather than consider whether the watch looks right on them or not. Can`t see why anyone would find his comment offensive, he's expressed his opinion robustly and there's nothing wrong in that. Fashion has now created a perception that a watch must fill the wrist completely; personally I disagree with this and I refuse (at the age of 53) to be influenced by the fashion thing....I`ll continue to stick with my own good taste.

As for bling boys and celebrities.....they do seem to like big watches.

Paul

I think the height/ depth of the watch has quite a big bearing on how it wears, more so in some ways than the width.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli
    I think the height/ depth of the watch has quite a big bearing on how it wears, more so in some ways than the width.

Yes, looking at the Deepsea, the height of the watch and perhaps the 20mm bracelet are the only negative points, 4mm less height and 22mm bracelet would have been better, imo.

Grand Master

If the big watch thing is a Fashion then its done better than any fashion previously! Its been almost a decade now of the size, it really is nothing new, when watch makers took gents watches from 36mm to 40mm there was probably the same outcry. It really is not a fashion its a choice of styles, I dont wear them big becasue its trendy I wear them because small, to me, looks lost, weak, and a bit gay!
    RIAC

Never mind what others say..just go for what you feel comfortable. This Seiko is 41mm (pic from the web)

Lady in a jewellers near me used to wear a Milgauss & now wears a Rolex with the decorated dial that I thought looked really good, fair size but looks more feminine with the decoration - only problem would be resale may be a much more limited market if want to change later.

Craftsman

If you are after the 36mm bi-metal DJ you should just get it.

Speaking from experience and I am a woman 2 inches shorter than you, the larger DJ will look right on your wrist thanks to your height. I have been wearing a Rolex SD for more than10 years and never looked at the ladies DJs or the 36mm to be honest. I did try the very DJ you are after and found it kind of insubstantial and a bit of a let down but the blue dial with romans and bi-metal is a killer combo imo!

Get your hubby to get you one ASAP and enjoy it. Small ladies watches are for our mothers.....and mine still insists on squinting to tell the time, then gives up and asks me! :D

Congrats on the baby!

my girlfriend wears a 50mm TW steel on occasion and is 5,2". is a bit excessive that one, but she quite suits a GMTIIc

No offence to the OP or the other ladies who frequent this forum but the build of the wearer will also have a bearing on the dimensions of the watch. A girl I went out with many many moons ago was an international rower. She was broader shouldered and more muscly than I am so could easily wear a bigger watch. My wife on the other hand suits something a lot more traditionally feminine.

Thanks for all the advice. I have spent the day (beauty of maternity leave) scowering the internet trying to find a suitable Rolex DJ but even with the list left by my husband it is proving to be a nightmare unless I buy new. I know Rob has put out WTBs on various forums but there seems to be nothing out there at the moment. I am sure it will be like buses, once one arrives they all will!

Hi Vicky my wife has a tu tone (Buckley dialled) oyster date - for hi days and holidays and a Cartier santos (mens size) for work.

She also tends to gravitate towards my rolex explorer 2 when the mood/ outfit demands. :roll:

All look great on her.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I would be tempted to phone round a few AD's and try and see what price you could pick one up for.

I got this for my wife on her 40th, a (erm couple) of years back

a 1969 (Birth year) Datejust

This is it prior to a spa treatment.

Once done, it has a nice amount of attractive shine on the bracelet an WG bezel, and is a really nice piece. The case shape is extraordinarily comfortable, and the whole thing is very light. All this makes its 36mm wear small (I think).

Prior to that she had only worn ladies watches, mostly an Oris ladies Big Crown I had found her a couple of years before.
    She was impressed when she opened the package with the DJ in, but a litle daunted by the size, as even her dive watch wasn't that big.

However, about 8 people at work noticed (and commented on) the watch on her first day wearing it, and it has been welded to her wrist ever since (except when I am polishing out the inevitable scratches from the plexi). She loves it.

So I guess that I would add that going for a vintage one makes sense, especially on jubilee, as everything is significantly more refined (and possibly feminine??) than more recent models.

D