closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 30 yr old Rolex

Craftsman

30 yr old Rolex

I have been offered a 30 year old Rolex Datejust, just serviced, for approx £1,300. No papers but local AD has confirmed authenticity.

Questions:-
    a. will the watch be accurate seen as it has been serviced?
    b. would you buy it if in my shoes?

Cheers

Mini

Re: 30 yr old Rolex

Nothing to fear about a 30 year old Rolex. The one I am wearing as I type is 35 years old and it operates within spec.

Price seems about right therefore if you like it buy it.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

is it at Jopsons ?

Master

If its been serviced, there will (should) be a 12 month guarantee on the work.
    So yes, it should keep time and be as accurate as a new one (or close to!)
    Some watchies don't guarantee vintage (25 years+) watches for accuracy, but an 80's Rolex Datejust should be within a couple of minutes a week easy.

And Yes, I'd probably buy it for that - should hold its value there with no trouble at all if you ever get bored of it.
    Offer a grand! :D

What year?? (Say 1982!!!!!) Flip it to me! :wink:

Blog Entries

Serviced by Rolex or other?

Craftsman

its a 1984/85 model, on an Oyster strap.

Guess I've got some thinking to do tonight, though I suspect i'll take the plunge and go for it!!

Bluetinfloor - it aint from Jopsons. I was in there recently but they don't have a lot of pre-owned stuff. I seriously considered buying a brand new Rolex, but after speaking to people (and reading various TZ posts) i have decided to buy pre-owned. It just seems the more sensible thing to do.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by moynan66
    Bluetinfloor - it aint from Jopsons. I was in there recently but they don't have a lot of pre-owned stuff.
    ok - just that if they had carried out the service it would have been to Rolex standards

Good luck anyway - if you like it buy it, the price will allow you sell on for little loss if you want to at a later date - in fact such behaviour is mandatory :D

Personally, I'd buy newer - there should be a few about and you could get boxed and papers and maybe a service for not much more.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by moynan66
    I seriously considered buying a brand new Rolex, but after speaking to people (and reading various TZ posts) i have decided to buy pre-owned. It just seems the more sensible thing to do.
    Agree with that have bought all my watches pre-owned (apart from a luminox) originally was looking at a new quartz Tag Heur but the shop also sold pre-owned & ended up with a lovely Zenith Rainbow which (if it ever comes back from being serviced) was certainly the better choice !

I have a Datejust which I bought new i 1984. It's had 2 services in that time, the last @ 15yrs ago. I wore it for a week recently after many months in it's box and it performed just as it always has, ie. + 1.5 secs per day.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

I have a 38 year old (birthyear) DJ, serviced at Bexley last year, it is spot on

Journeyman

I've had my DJ for 46 years.

If anyone has a DJ they are looking to get rid of please let me know as its the wife's birthday next week and that is what she is after.

Cheers

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by pedantic10
    I've had my DJ for 46 years.
    You've had your moneys worth then. :)

One of mine is a '65 so that makes it 46 years old too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Personally, I'd buy newer - there should be a few about and you could get boxed and papers and maybe a service for not much more.
    +1...for maybe £1600 you could get something around 10yrs old without box & papers or a little more if B & P are present. The later models with sapphire crystals are a bit more durable for everyday wear. B & P are nice to have and put the price up a bit, but my over-riding concern is the condition (and authenticity) of the watch itself; I bought a really mint Datejust without B & P a few years back in preference to a medioce example with B & P present. Check whether all the bracelet links are present because spare ones usually get lost with the box!

Ensure the one you're looking at is in excellent condition cosmetically before buying. If it's a fluted bezel have a look at the 'peaks' of the flutes, they should be nice and sharp. Also check the condition of the bracelet and clasp; even the Oysters get stretched and sloppy eventually, although the Jubilee bracelets are worse for this.

Good luck,

Paul

Good value for an oyster i believe

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    +1...for maybe £1600 you could get something around 10yrs old without box & papers or a little more if B & P are present. The later models with sapphire crystals are a bit more durable for everyday wear. B & P are nice to have and put the price up a bit, but my over-riding concern is the condition (and authenticity) of the watch itself; I bought a really mint Datejust without B & P a few years back in preference to a medioce example with B & P present. Check whether all the bracelet links are present because spare ones usually get lost with the box!

Ensure the one you're looking at is in excellent condition cosmetically before buying. If it's a fluted bezel have a look at the 'peaks' of the flutes, they should be nice and sharp. Also check the condition of the bracelet and clasp; even the Oysters get stretched and sloppy eventually, although the Jubilee bracelets are worse for this.

Good luck,

Paul
    Many thanks for all the sound advice - i didnt realise the earlier models never had a sapphire crystal face, which concerns me a little seen as i'll be wearing daily (banging on a desk no doubt!)

Paul -where would you suggest looking in order to buy a later model for approx £1,600

Cheers again

Mini

Great deal as knowing that in 15 years your 1,300 will be worth almost the double