closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughters 21st / graduation watch

Daughters 21st / graduation watch

Hi guys,

First real post for me, I am looking for suggestions for a watch for my daughters 21st and graduation. She is a girl who does not go for very girlie things but is still very much a girl. I was thing of a Seamaster mid size, any other ideas?

Stuart

Master

Re: Daughters 21st / graduation watch

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure she even wants a watch?

What's the budget?

Perfect choice - have bought four women in my life a Seamaster and every single one of them is still wearing the same watch today - I'd say that was a success. The only other choices for me that look great and cost a lot more are the Rolex explorer, 14060 submariner or a Daytona.

&

Don't about what she wants - buying presents is a personal thing and it is about what YOU want to give - only watches and jewellery can be a personal thing - all the same I think a Seamaster mid size is a great choice. Just be careful the mid size has been withdrawn from the UK market - you can get one if you shop around but I have to try a few places before Christmas this year to track down a black co-axial in time.
    It's just a matter of time...

My son wanted an iPhone4 for his 21st. I bought him a TAG Heuer Aquaracer Alarm. Two reasons for doing so really, he kept saying he used the alarm on his current phone "all the time" so it was a nod to that, and my Tag Heuer set me on the road to WISdom 16 years ago. He got the watch and absolutely loves it, he see's the significance behind it (the fact a Tag was my first "good" watch) and in fact he has now started a small collection (three watches) of his own.
    I think watches for "significant" milestones (male or female) such as 21st's or graduations are so fitting. Generally a lot of thought goes into choosing the watch to buy and it's something that will last forever. Unlike an iPhone4! :)

Master

Mid-size SM is a nice idea. I have a mid-size JBSM that I do not wear as my eyes are not what they were. Bought in Australia in 1998 has had a recent full service Feb. this year. Model ref; 2551 8000. Looking for £600 for it. Can e-mail you some pics if you are interested.
    Best Regards Martyndogs.

According to my mrs, who's actually not really that in to watches, the two classics for women are the Cartier Tank and the Longines Le Grande Classique. Both are very nice, but again, it depends on your budget and whether you'd be happy giving her a quartz or automatic.

I also think a Sub (14060) is a nice choice for a woman, provided she's happy wearing a bigger watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SAW4H
    Hi guys,

First real post for me, I am looking for suggestions for a watch for my daughters 21st and graduation. She is a girl who does not go for very girlie things but is still very much a girl. I was thing of a Seamaster mid size, any other ideas?

Stuart
    SBCM023 is more accurate than the Seamaster, and also a perpetual calendar, and much, much cheaper :)

However both are IMHO completely not girl-watches (and also unlikely to be 'graduation watches').

If she is quite technical she might appreciate a lot more a very rare perpetual calendar and ultra-high-accuracy model - to my knowledge no Swiss company was able to sell such a caliber, and there were just one from Seiko (search for Exceline SWDN009 - there are still some NOS models) and one from Citizen (caliber E410 - see a picture with two E510 at http://caranfil.org/tz/R0017434c.jpg). The finish and quality in those high-end Japanese models is clearly over anything available from the Swiss under 1000-2000 EUR.

Master

Bought my wife a JLC Reverso for an engagement present - I'd suggested the Cartier but she picked out the Reverso. She still wears it daily, 14 years on.

Cartier Tank stainless steel .A classic and most women will love it.Not all women will want a SMP .Best to ask her.

She's 21 and graduating - get her something that will last her years and remind her of you. A nice automatic swiss watch would be my first choice - that's what my kids are getting whether they like it or not ;)

Master

as far as i can tell, all women like the Chanel J12

In the presence of so many experts Im not going to tell you what watch to buy. What I will say is, try to make your final choice something that has at least a touch of femininity - and/or, failing that, a luxury feel that isnt just 'technical' - unless shes a complete tomboy.
    And the most important thing of all, remember that this present is for her - not for you! You dont want it to be something shes only wearing to keep you happy and, worse still, her having to fib to you because she doesnt want to offend/upset you. Hope you find the perfect present!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Stowa Antea Ks with the bracelet... pure class and a display back..

Blog Entries

Rolex ladies DateJust. Classic, timeless. Depends on your budget of course.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Of course, budget will have a big factor...

Cartier or Rolex ladies DJ IMO but for Gawds sake ask her.

Nothing worse than a surprise present that is not exactly what you want and you have to pretend to like it especially given the amount of money involved.

She may even want something plastic. :shock:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've never had a problem buying watches for other people and everyone still wears the watch I bought them - I am far from an ogre.

The one thing I always keep in mind is - I am buying the present and I'll buy whatever I want to buy - I am never upset if someone does not like or appreciate a present I have bought them. It is all well and good buying someone something they would ask for - but generally I find a lot of people just wouldn't have the balls/audacity to ask for an expensive watch.

Virtually everyone I have bought an expensive watch for would never have spent that kind of money themselves (with a couple of exceptions).

I've bought close to 10 watches for others - I have never asked their opinion and they were all delighted - maybe I have good taste in watches - maybe I'm very lucky - or maybe I just know a little bit about the people I'm close to and have known for years or most of my life?]

Buy whatever you are happy buying - it is after all first and foremost a present from you.

Good luck - I am sure you don't need it and all will go very well.

Thanks for all your input. She has asked for a watch and I was thinking up to £1500 for the budget. I was not aware that the mid size SM was no longer available.

Stuart

Thanks for all your input. She has asked for a watch and I was thinking up to £1500 for the budget. I was not aware that the mid size SM was no longer available.

Stuart
    For that budget.Cartier Tank. You wouldn't go wrong.

Journeyman

What About a Classic Cartier? or even better Rolex Airking!
    :roll: :roll: :roll:

Master

Just shown the wife most of the watches mentioned, thinking she'd opt for the ladies dj but no she went for the J12.

How 'bout a Rolex Air King with a more feminine coloured dial...? Think they do a nice salmon colour...

Stuart
    The mid SMP300 is a great watch and she could use it for everything without worry - no huge servicing bills like Cartier and not as fragile either. Also not so girly that she wouldn't wear it in jeans or a dress.

The mid size is said to be leaving the UK and US markets - but will still be in production. So you will be able to find one and they will be in stock somewhere for the next year. Co-axial movement with 3 year warranty - if you get a good discount you could buy new and be happy you've got a great watch that will last her virtually a lifetime.

For the price it would be my number one choice. it is a great brand - my second favourite for some reason, is well known, well respected and easily fix without too much fuss/expense if anything needs to be done. The quartz version should be under £1000 with a good discount but I'd go auto if she likes the idea of a nice watch.

For more I'd go for the Explorer - but it doesn't quite have the do anything fit in anywhere looks and functionality. Similarly the Submariner doesn't have a date.

You should of course go with your gut feel and buy what you like.

All the talk of Rolex are generally the lower end and second hand - maybe not the best of ideas for girl's 21st - women prefer to be the first owner a lot more than men and a newer Datejust or Airking whilst nice is way over budget and again doesn't provide a do anything watch imo. Don't get me wrong I'm Rolex through and through - but they really don;t cater too well in sports watches for women.

Master

What about one of those e-ink things that 'Cilla sells?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bloater
    Just shown the wife most of the watches mentioned, thinking she'd opt for the ladies dj but no she went for the J12.
    Told you so! :lol:

Nice as the Chanel's are - they have recently been on sale at my AD - virtually all models - but still they were well over £1500 and close to double that or a lot more retail.

Also Ceramic and possibly not as durable.

Master

If budget was higher then I would suggest a Rolex Datejust (ladies or mid size). with the £1500 budget then Omega strikes me as the way to go. Either mid size SMP as you have suggested, or how about an Aqua Terra, or for more Dressy alternative a Constelation.

Like Scott, I've bought a fair few watches for other half, mum and sister in law, and majority have been Omega and seem to have gone down well!

Master

Well, iam 25 and still a student. I do a study with about 80% female which are all around 20/25.

I noticed most girls like chronograph daytona look'a'likes all steel or polished steel.
    Big watches, panarai look a likes or some sort of diver watches. Big watches are IN i guess.

You say she's not that girl but yet still very female. I think you should look for a breitling abyss.
    Check out her favourite colour.

It fits the budget to.

Master

The women in my life have all knocked the seven bells out of watches. So, for example, I remember noticing that my first wife's IWC was missing its bezel and crystal. 'Yes', she said, 'Newton [a horse] leant on my arm and the wall.' A good explanation, but she showed no remorse for the damage.

My daughter, also horsey, has destroyed so many watches that she doesn't wear one anymore.

And my present wife's comment, God bless her, when I found that the movement of her gold Omega de Ville was rusted solid, was, ''I thought gold was waterproof.'

So, to the point. If your daughter's a delicate angel, buy her a (secondhand) Rolex in good condition, which will last her for decades. If she ain't, buy her a ten quid Casio and give her £1,490. She'll love you all the more for it.

Master

My opinion rolex isnt the thing for a 21 yr old. Gives question and people will think stuff about it.

Craftsman

All women love gold, especially 18ct

here are a couple which you may not have thought about

1. IWC automatic cal 8541B

2. IWC automatic cal 8541B

One of the the most relaible watch movements ever encased in precious metal.

Ivan
    iwcforme

Yes I agree, no to the Rolex, although I love my daydate, not quite right for a 21 year old. Gold is out too, she only goes for silver jewellery. I would have gone for the cheap watch and a big cheque had she not asked for a watch. Still like the mid SM and please to hear I can still get it. The quartz option would work, I have no problem with them, and if is good for Harry why not?

Stuart

Breitling, may a bit too butch? Still thing the SM is more elegant but just as tough.

Stuart

Master

Looking around right now and i spot on about no goldcolour watches on the ladies here.

:mrgreen:

A watch you buy her may determine the types of guy she may attract…..

Rolex isn’t a watch to 21st year girl. Yuck…..

These are my personal selections….

Pequignet Moorea Quartz Chrono Ladies A PQ-007
    Or
    IWC Mark XVI and change the strap for something bit girlie
    Or
    Nomos Club
    Or
    Mondaine Ladies

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat
    Looking around right now and i spot on about no goldcolour watches on the ladies here.

Same here (well not "here"as I'm home alone just now but...!) not one female under 40 that I know or have seen recently has any item of gold jewellery or watches. It's just not worn these days.

Get her a Toy Watch and a shed load of Pandora tat. :lol:

Master

Iam at college lessons with aprox 300 girls. SPOT ON! :D

Im inclined to agree. The trouble with those of us with such a potentially obsessive hobby is that they tend to inflict it upon those around them, which forces people to play along with them which, in turn, leads them to delude themselves that these people actually give a ****! Its not, I have to say, quite as wrong as trying to inflict a faith upon someone - but these people can get almost as carried away with their opinions and it can be just as presumptuous/embarrassing.
    That said, I would say to the OP that, as your daughter has actually asked for a watch, then thats ok. The fact that its such an open discussion between you and her, rather than it just being something youve decided does your parenting skills credit and leaves plenty of scope for you to discuss what style of watch she appreciates. Ask her, dont tell her. But Im sure you already know that.
    Its been interesting to read the replies on here from the ladies. It would appear, with the odd exception, that what watches we fellas THINK they like bears little resemblance to what they ACTUALLY like!

[quote=Tai Mi Shu]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Time Cat":1ha4diyz

Same here (well not "here"as I'm home alone just now but...!) not one female under 40 that I know or have seen recently has any item of gold jewellery or watches. It's just not worn these days.[/quote:1ha4diyz]

Vic is Correct.

I have a lot of 21 year old girls around my house :lol: (2X son's many girlfriends) and they only ever wear silver and as far as I can see all watches if they wear them (which not many do) are plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu

Get her a Toy Watch and a shed load of Pandora tat. :lol:
    Good choice IMO.

Although I suggested Rolex and Cartier earlier (which is what my wife would wear) I can't really see a young girl wanting that old dears stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Recently bought my wife (not really into watches :roll: ) a SS 24mm Rolex oyster (176200) and she loves it. Can wear it all the time and goes with everything. Should be able to find something that suits on Blowers*

* disclaimer: other watch shops are available :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C

Although I suggested Rolex and Cartier earlier (which is what my wife would wear) I can't really see a young girl wanting that old dears stuff.
    Yep, Toy Watch and iPad 2/iPhone 4 or whatever is "must-have" these days.
    And a tattoo. She'd suit a tattoo. :wink:

Master

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here.
    I was lucky enough to be get some gifts like this for my 18th & 21st's. I'm 28 now btw.

TBH I regret steering my parents towards what was fashionable at the time.
    For my 18th I got watch. The first time my parents had ever spent over £100 on a watch and they thought I was nuts.
    I choose a Pulsar Spoon, which I still have, but will it ever get worn again, probably not.
    21st, similar story, but this time with a guitar, again, thinking it would be something that would last forever and again I still have it, but can't remember the last time I played it.

What about something a bit more classic, yes it might not be as popular a decision now but in 10yrs she still love it.

How about something fairly classic from Tiffany's or any other jewelers?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008

My thought with the Toy Watch and Pandora is it's "cool" now so it's a winner as a gift. But she can keep them for years and when she looks back at them in (say) twenty years they will be the items that define a whole generation of people.

She should be able to look back at them with fond memories of who or what she did whilst wearing them. ;)

[quote=Tai Mi Shu]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":3qsgsh6t

Yep, Toy Watch and iPad 2/iPhone 4 or whatever is "must-have" these days.
    And a tattoo. She'd suit a tattoo. :wink:[/quote:3qsgsh6t]

Now you're just trying to drum up business. :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008

She should be able to look back at them with fond memories of who or what she did whilst wearing them. ;)
    Put it this way... My second choice was a Seiko 007.
    Wish I'd been brave enough to pick the classic. nuff said.

A good friend who's mid 30's still wears her silver Tiffany bracelet that was a 21st present.

Master

Best option is ask her what she likes and show some pictures of watches.

And ask what she prefers, money+present and small watch or just one 'super'-watch...

My parents will never be able to give me the right watch i guess, if they don't ask anything. Even if they spent the budget that i spent.

Master

A Rolex ain't old for a 21-year-old woman. Several of my friends have given them to their daughters for their twenty-firsts.

And women are just as vulnerable to big name watch advertising as any man and Rolex tops the list. If you don't believe this, do some simple market research. Ask each woman in your life to name 3 watch brands. The first will be Rolex, the second will be Omega and the third will be 'Er ...'.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    ...and the third will be 'Er ...'.
    Chanel, Gucci or Cartier.

Stick to your original plain - she asked for a watch and you have chosen a very nice one - track one down for a good discount - should be less than £1k new for the quartz version with a fair discount and you will both be very happy.