closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the new Rolexes from Basel - NOW OFFICIAL PICS

Re: Here are the new Rolexes from Basel ???

A 42mm Explorer with white dial sounds good to me. The price may not be as welcoming.

Master

Love the Black explorer...looks like I've a new grail....

Craftsman

The new ExpII looks good to me (love tha maxi dial) but at 42mm and no doubt with a disturbingly disproportionate price hike :shock: I reckon I'll keep saving for the current version!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja
    The price may not be as welcoming.
    This I find increasingly hilarious too.

If Rolex is supposed to be symbol of having it made than why all this moaning about price?

The brand image hangs from it being exclusively priced.
    The príce is the excluding statement :idea:

Master

Let the stampede for "the last" Explorer 2's commence!! :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by entity999
    I reckon I'll keep saving for the current version!
    Which will thus by default be the poor man´s version, defeating the purpose and making it the wannabee watch.

Come on guys, don´t you séé???
    What is just about the only added value of the brand?

The superlative price strategy :!:

If you want wátch value for money you are looking in the wrong display cases :idea:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

If Rolex is supposed to be symbol of having it made than why all this moaning about price?

I'll happily moan about the price because I just like the ExpII as a watch and wouldn't buy one "as a symbol of having made it" so I don't think your supposition applies in all cases!

Master

Which will thus by default be the poor man´s version, defeating the purpose and making it the wannabee watch.
    You only have to compare the price of good 16710s and 16750s to 116710s to know that is nonsense. :roll:

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll happily moan about the price because I just like the ExpII as a watch and wouldn't buy one "as a symbol of having made it" so I don't think your supposition applies in all cases!
    Well, as long as you believe it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    You only have to compare the price of good 16710s and 16750s to 116710s to know that is nonsense. :roll:
    True, there are many wannabee Rolexes :mrgreen:

Craftsman

Please see prior comments re my motivations for potential Rolex purchase :roll: .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    True, there are many wannabee Rolexes :mrgreen:
    You are the worst person I've never met.

I don't find my comment hilarious. I really don't care about whether other people think I have made it or not as I wear a watch for me and not for other people. For example, I am just as happy (if not more happy) wearing a £150 Seiko as I am a £5K IWC. For me personally, the moan about the price is not about the brand name on the dial and is everything to do with the overall build, quality and finish at the price point. For that reason alone, it may be a considered purchase that will never come to fruition.

Huertecilla, I think to be understood first you have to seek understanding. It looks from here as if you're trolling with unnecessary, irrelevant and presumptuous posts.

I'm neither a lover nor a hater, but it would be nice to see at least one thread go by without umpteen posts of personal crusading.

Your other Seiko related posts are genuinely interesting, but this stuff is just gush.

HAGD

Master

WUS has some more pix from the press day display... if anyone's interested

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f79/rolex-520241.html

Craftsman

Well, as long as you believe it.
    As it turns out I do and thank you for allowing me to have my opinion.

Re: the new Rolexes from Basel - NOW OFFICIAL PICS

I did fear the worst for the Exp2 and to be fair it could have been a lot worse considering how tacky looking the Rolex offerings have been over the last few years.

It's definitely not for me (really pleased I have a V serial Exp2 old style) because of the size. I really don't enjoy watches over 40mm and the best thing about the old Exp2 is how unobtrusive, light and comfortable it is - not to mention understated. I'm determined to never buy another Rolex at the now silly prices so I'm thankful that they made it so easy for me to say no. Had it been 40mm I might have been wavering although I'm no fan of the crude hands and dial.

As regards the others, they are typical 'New Rolex" - really quite naff.

I agree with the other poster who said rather than destroy themselves as a brand by wiping out all their classic models I would prefer Rolex if they just said we are going to also do some modern models - Oyster Quartz etc. They only seem to want to cater for the tastes of footballers these days.

Grand Master

It would be good if Rolex did a new sports model, if they're so intent on not changing things too much. The clownmaster is a bit of a weird one, same with the daytonas, but the exp2 do look good, but then again they don't really look different and i like the older ones better :lol:

EXP II
    White is striking as it was previously
    Black looks like a 'Franken' watch, someone has taken the 1970's insides (think Steve McQueen Explorer) and stuck them into a 2010 case.
    YM II, that is just plain awful. I'll stick with my YM 1 thanks

And what is this obsession with new model bigger must be better?
    I've always thought 40mm is enough.
    Anything larger goes away from the point of a high end Swiss watch. The Original premise was to shrink a pocket watch movement with all its complications to wrist size.
    So now we get large watch case, small movement, so we pay for air rather than clever compact engineering

Just like the car industry.
    Or are Rolex catering for their larger markets like fat american business men, who only get fatter?

Those new Explorer IIs look rather nice, actually. The less said about the YM the better, though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Re: Here are the new Rolexes from Basel

Just finished ´packing´ the minimalistic bag for the congress this weekend
    I expect a full report :P

I like the look of the white Exp II & could be tempted to get one when they're released.

Dan

Master

All rather disappointing really.

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    What were you hoping for?

Grand Master

Re: Here are the new Rolexes from Basel

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    They're all a bit naff aren't they?
    Naff said.
    A wondrous combination of bland & naff.

Basically a collection of old fashioned anachronisms tarted up with must have modern accents into a nón style line up.
    They are really digging a style barbarian hole for themselves.
    Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc blah
    I bet Rolex will be crying all the way to to the bank.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift
    I did fear the worst for the Exp2 and to be fair it could have been a lot worse considering how tacky looking the Rolex offerings have been over the last few years.

It's definitely not for me (really pleased I have a V serial Exp2 old style) because of the size. I really don't enjoy watches over 40mm and the best thing about the old Exp2 is how unobtrusive, light and comfortable it is - not to mention understated. I'm determined to never buy another Rolex at the now silly prices so I'm thankful that they made it so easy for me to say no. Had it been 40mm I might have been wavering although I'm no fan of the crude hands and dial.

The YachtMaster already got the crap kicked out of it by The Internet; and the new gold Daytona is just another Daytona, "naff" before and "naff" after esp. on a forum highly taken with bead-blasted military watches, preferably sterile, and even better if it's worn by the 2nd gunman on the balcony :). 99.99% of the public will not be able to tell the difference between this one and the old one. Only some old bluffers on the internet think there is a gulf of difference between the new Explorer II and the old, and that everyone should pay heed to that difference .

FWIW I think Rolex is to be congratulated for keeping it to 42mm; I bet it will feel smaller than a typical 42mm dive watch with a black bezel, and it's slimmer. Since no-one has a problem with a 42mm Omega, for example, I don't see why a beefed up case is a big deal - unless, of course, you just really dislike Rolex.

I mean, Rolex makes a bigger watch with the same hands: hands too small, yada yada. A bigger watch with bigger hands: crude and naff, blah blah.

I bet Rolex will be weeping buckets in shame as it waddles down to the bank, every pocket stuffed to overflowing with cash :crybaby:

Why is noone discussing the new special edition?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swatch
    Why is noone discussing the new special edition?

I'm sure it will be discussed now. Only Rolex makes gold watches with all diamonds in, apparently.

I think the white ExpII looks the biz. That maxi dial is striking 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PCP
    Something a bit more tasteful and not supersized for the sake of being supersized. Those explorers just look a bit silly and tacky IMO.

I'm still in shock at how bad the YM looks.

Still my bank balance will be rather healthier and I won't have to send the boy away to be a chimney sweep's apprentice :lol:

With the "upgraded" designs and prices I couldn't see myself ever buying a brand new Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift

The YachtMaster already got the crap kicked out of it by The Internet; and the new gold Daytona is just another Daytona, "naff" before and "naff" after esp. on a forum highly taken with bead-blasted military watches, preferably sterile, and even better if it's worn by the 2nd gunman on the balcony :). 99.99% of the public will not be able to tell the difference between this one and the old one. Only some old bluffers on the internet think there is a gulf of difference between the new Explorer II and the old, and that everyone should pay heed to that difference .

FWIW I think Rolex is to be congratulated for keeping it to 42mm; I bet it will feel smaller than a typical 42mm dive watch with a black bezel, and it's slimmer. Since no-one has a problem with a 42mm Omega, for example, I don't see why a beefed up case is a big deal - unless, of course, you just really dislike Rolex.

I mean, Rolex makes a bigger watch with the same hands: hands too small, yada yada. A bigger watch with bigger hands: crude and naff, blah blah.

I bet Rolex will be weeping buckets in shame as it waddles down to the bank, every pocket stuffed to overflowing with cash :crybaby:
    :mrgreen:

Something a bit more tasteful and not supersized for the sake of being supersized. Those explorers just look a bit silly and tacky IMO.

Still my bank balance will be rather healthier and I won't have to send the boy away to be a chimney sweep's apprentice :lol:

With the "upgraded" designs and prices I couldn't see myself ever buying a brand new Rolex.

You aren't wrong about the YM, it really is the pits, but can I ask what you find tasteless about the Explorer? A case which is larger than the old one by a mere 2mm isn't exactly huge, is it?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    You aren't wrong about the YM, it really is the pits, but can I ask what you find tasteless about the Explorer? A case which is larger than the old one by a mere 2mm isn't exactly huge, is it?
    From the pics it somehow looks a bit "plasticky" - can't put my finger on it. The 2mm can make quite a difference I think.

I may well change my mind when I see them in the metal. I felt the same way about the new Sub C, but have to admit that it looked far nicer on my wrist in the AD than I had imagined.

I rather like the Explorer, not a great departure in looks from the outgoing model, and the size is more to my tastes (and seems to be so in the wider world too), so there is a pretty good argument for a size increase.
    Agree on the YM, but I'm imaging a SS Daytona with with ceramic bezel, white dial and black subdials......yep, that seems to work for me...

Black Explorer is good, enough hints of the original to make it worthwhile :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like this pic -

[image]http://pics.r-l-x.de/picserv/files/2/forum/BASEL_2011/201470.jpg[\image]

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I like this pic -

Very nice 8)

Its case doesn't look as beefed-up as the GMTIIc case, and the Twinlock crown and modestly sized guards suit it well.

If they had omitted the ROLEXROLEXROLEX rehaut it would have been perfect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ta, my picture posting effort was pretty limp. :wink:

Master

This is the first of the recent model Rolex's that I like. I think they got it pretty much perfect, no polished links, no mega shiny ceramic bezel, no overly thick ugly lugs. A big triplock crown would have been nice but probably wouldn't have looked right.

I am just praying the price is not insanely high.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH

I fear the gods of Switzerland are deaf to your supplications.

The current ExpII retails for €5,000 or thereabouts these days – how much more than that can the new one be? Five hundred? A grand? I'd pay that just for the maxi dial 8)

Master

:lol: I fear you are right Simon, real shame as I badly miss having a Rolex and would love to have a new one as a watch for life but the prices are now just so silly.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I like this pic -

Very nice 8)

Its case doesn't look as beefed-up as the GMTIIc case, and the Twinlock crown and modestly sized guards suit it well.

If they had omitted the ROLEXROLEXROLEX rehaut it would have been perfect.

I have just decided that i need one of these.

Craftsman

The ExpII in white is really growing on me fast. However, what is going on with the YM? It looks like a toy. What a waste of effort.

Craftsman

Is the orange hand in the new Explorer II still just a 24-hr hand, or is it now independent from the hour hand (I know the hour hand is not independent like in the GMT II)?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath
    Is the orange hand in the new Explorer II still just a 24-hr hand, or is it now independent from the hour hand (I know the hour hand is not independent like in the GMT II)?
    Yes. Think of it as a GMT-II with a fixed bezel.

I must admit I'm rather taken with the new orange 24~hour hand. Not the watch so much, just the hand. I wonder if I could get one for my GMT-IIc? :bom:

Mike.

Master

Does anyone have a link to photos of this quality of the black one? Thanks! :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath
    Yes. Think of it as a GMT-II with a fixed bezel.

I must admit I'm rather taken with the new orange 24~hour hand. Not the watch so much, just the hand. I wonder if I could get one for my GMT-IIc? :bom:

Mike.
    Thanks!
    The white dial one is very nice, I must say.

Rolex4ever

I really like the new Exp II. The 42mm case is a good move to keep up with new times. The Daytona everose gold must be stunning in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex4ever
    I really like the new Exp II. The 42mm case is a good move to keep up with new times. The Daytona everose gold must be stunning in the flesh.
    I agree the EXP II Maxi/Retro is fantastic. The rest do not appeal - same with the prices.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations