closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: help with tz running costs

help with tz running costs

just noticed roy has installed an option on another yorkshire based watch forum where people can donate to help with forum running costs. think this could be a good idea over here- what does everyone else think?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Re: help with tz running costs

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    just noticed roy has installed an option on another yorkshire based watch forum where people can donate to help with forum running costs. think this could be a good idea over here- what does everyone else think?
    Happens on some other sites, and would be fine with me. Donations usually carry some sort of benefit over and above "standard" membership - worth a thought...

Stinks of desperation.

A forum as an adjunct to a watch selling business can be a very effective advertising medium. I don't mean as product placement but just the fact of where the forum is.

I could possibly understand if somebody is running a forum as a hobby but not when business related.

I know Eddie and he is certainly not that cheesey.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Agreed, as soon as people start "donating" they're going to feel they "own" a bit of the place and want more of a say. I doubt it's even crossed Eddies mind, he's a fair realistic chap and this is the best UK watch forum by a mile with no need of change.

RLT = Mod's lording it left right and centre and a dull dull dull sales area too... can't believe anyone would want to pay for that?!

@neil, i dont think its either cheesy or 'smacks of desperation' , i think it would just provide an opportunity to directly contribute to the running costs of the forum which i presume must be considerable
    @jon, no shortage of those that think they 'own' the place as it is :wink:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Happens on some other sites, and would be fine with me. Donations usually carry some sort of benefit over and above "standard" membership - worth a thought...
    Then we can have somewhere even more exclusive than the Bullingdon? :blackeye:
    Don't like the idea of sponsorship and there's no shortage of examples of what happens when you go down that route. Like the idea of being able to make Wikipedia-style running cost contrubutions.

But how much does it actually cost though? Domain name, forum software, hosting +bandwidth...? I've always assumed the one-off set up costs are quite high but then average monthly running costs are low, especially if you're not coughing up for any SEO or Google gubbins. I have to wonder if RLT using it asa source of revenue (WUS style) or actually for admin costs?

Hope this doesn't sound like Daily Wail whinging.

@jon, no shortage of those that think they 'own' the place as it is :wink:
    Possibly true, no need to encourage any more than :P

Thomas Reid

I suggest that Eddie be Apple like and take a 30% cut on the price of everything (app) sold on SC. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I think it's very fortunate that we have people who are willing to put in the effort and set up forums for us all to enjoy. I wouldn't like to think that they were significantly out of pocket as a result. If they feel that they could do with financial help towards the running costs I am fine with that. If they feel that they can cover the costs without help I am even finer with that!
    I will chip in the dregs of my Paypal a/c to RLT (if I ever sell anything that is) and would do the same on here if Our Beloved Leader felt it would help.
    I enjoy both TZ and TWF, though I haven't been disciplined on here yet; but I am working on it.

Both good for people like me who are new to watches. No such thing as too much info.

Every order I receive contributes to the cost of the forum, I don't need more than that. I could make a tidy profit out of the forum if I allowed advertising but I don't want that either. It's fine the way it is for me.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I suggest that Eddie be Apple like and take a 30% cut on the price of everything (app) sold on SC. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    How about a £1 charge for every argument in the Bearpit? :lol:
    I can't remember if i read it on this forum or not but a single one-off charge for using SC would be an interesting experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    A single one-off charge for using SC would be an interesting experiment.
    I think that's an excellent idea.

Thomas Reid

I would look to a solicitor for advice, but I suspect that if he charges anything for using the Sales Corner, it changes his legal position.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Best wishes,
    Bob
    How about a £1 charge for every argument in the Bearpit? :lol:
    I can't remember if i read it on this forum or not but a single one-off charge for using SC would be an interesting experiment.

Good idea especially if it goes to charity (or Eddies choice).

However recently perhaps a better suggestion would be a swear box, as some members seem to have developed potty mouth. All money to a charity of Eddies choice

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Happy to donate if Eddie would like the assistance, otherwise I like the place just the way it is. :)

Another way to help is to make sure you buy as many Timefactors watches as you can afford. I try to buy one of each release that I like the look of. If I drop £50/£100 if I sell it I just consider that my fee for using this place.

I am sure Eddie won't mind me mentioning this (if you do then please delete it)

A while ago I offered a small donation to the forum and Eddie politely refused but pointed me to an animal charity that he supports.
    The Alexandra Bastedo Champions Animal Sanctuary <<<clicky
    If you guys are in a donating mood then it's a very worthy cause.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Every order I receive contributes to the cost of the forum, I don't need more than that. I could make a tidy profit out of the forum if I allowed advertising but I don't want that either. It's fine the way it is for me.

Eddie
    Has Eddie not already answered the OP question?

I am with Eddie on this one. I pay for the bike forum myself & although its very nice to be appreciated it leaves things wide open.

If you need to ban or suspend a forum member it makes it awkward plus there will be a separate account needed & a loads of bollocks drawn up and more arse covering in the smallprint.
    Then theres the matter of owing them the world for a tenner

I cant be arsed as much as Eddie

Master

Perhaps all those who ask "Where to buy a NATO?" or those who sell NATO's that Eddie has in stock could have a word with themselves.

What is it with this NATO stuff ?

I don't get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by london lad

A while ago I offered a small donation to the forum and Eddie politely refused but pointed me to an animal charity that he supports.
    Small world, this is just up the road from us in West Chiltington and I am going to see if can volunteer (min 3 hours / week is required ) when back in UK - she (and her little helpers :lol: ) does an amazing job :mrgreen:
    Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren

Small world, this is just up the road from us in West Chiltington and I am going to see if can volunteer (min 3 hours / week is required ) when back in UK - she (and her little helpers :lol: ) does an amazing job :mrgreen:
    Cheers, Peter
    When you go and see her, don't forget to mention TZ-UK and me.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Perhaps all those who ask "Where to buy a NATO?" or those who sell NATO's that Eddie has in stock could have a word with themselves.
    Remove your nose FFS it is getting weird :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    FFS it is getting weird :roll:
    I don't think there's anything weird about implying people should support the person/business behind this free resource, probably one we all agree is the best of its kind.

Not that I expect you to agree of course.

What is weird is you following almost every post with your sad little insults.

Just for the record as I don't do "threatening PM's", I'm not ex-Army (almost was in my boy days but that's another story!) but as you have a problem with me you're more than welcome to come to my Studio where we can discuss your insults like grown ups.

I'm certain you'll soon change the (Edit: swearing removed - Apologies) record after we've met so I look foward to meeting you soon Hero. Otherwise they're just words from a vile and ignorant person.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    FFS it is getting weird :roll:
    I don't think there's anything weird about implying people should support the person/business behind this free resource, probably one we all agree is the best of its kind.

Not that I expect you to agree of course.

What is weird is you following almost every post with your sad little insults.

Just for the record as I don't do "threatening PM's", I'm not ex-Army (almost was in my boy days but that's another story!) but as you have a problem with me you're more than welcome to come to my Studio where we can discuss your insults like grown ups.

I'm certain you'll soon change the record after we've met so I look foward to meeting you soon Hero. Otherwise they're just words from a vile and ignorant person.
    Lovely language in G&D :roll: Well done you, you suck up at every opportunity yet can't adhere to the sites simple rules. Oh and as for following commenting on peoples post "Have you looked at your own replies" Hypocrite (note spelling)

George & Dragon
    Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion

Master

Well done you, you suck up at every opportunity yet can't adhere to the sites simple rules.

George & Dragon
    Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion
    Bad language removed. Now about your "Friendly Banter"? :roll:
    Hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Agreed, as soon as people start "donating" they're going to feel they "own" a bit of the place and want more of a say. I doubt it's even crossed Eddies mind, he's a fair realistic chap and this is the best UK watch forum by a mile with no need of change.

RLT = Mod's lording it left right and centre and a dull dull dull sales area too... can't believe anyone would want to pay for that?!
    Cheers for that Jon, its not so dull that you dont post your sales in there too though..... :roll:
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned

HAGWE

Jesus wept...

help with tz running costs

Is it me or are there some serious hormonal issues going on here?

Craftsman

Eddie has answered it well, for his site, his business, his forum.
    Just as an aside to the earlier post suggesting getting members to donate gave them some sense of ownership; I help moderate a totally non-watch related forum :D where we rely (mostly) on donations to keep it afloat. Donating gives you nothing more than a natty little added line under your avatar. Acting like a goose, regardless of how much you gave, is met with the same response. Our biggest individual donor found this out!! Donating does not grant any moderating leeway either. I do both, and I get put in my place by the other mods should the need arise. All in all it can still work.
    As a further aside, jeez there are a lot of personal squabbles infiltrating threads they ought not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren

Cheers, Peter
    When you go and see her, don't forget to mention TZ-UK and me.

Eddie
    Indeed will do - in fact it was reading about her on here that kickstarted my brain
    ( what's left of it - el vino takes its toll :lol: ) that I had forgotten to phone them before we left this time ....
    Cheers, Peter

If anyone wants to help Eddie with forum running costs, then I suggest that they buy a few NATO straps or similar each month. Maybe Eddie could join the fun by listing stock that's been hanging around for a while. :wink: