closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stowa Flieger Chrono

Stowa Flieger Chrono

What do you think?

Personally, I've never understood the purpose of 30 mins chrono, but that's another subject ;)

More info on this and other new Stowa models: http://www.basel2011.com

Craftsman

Re: Stowa Flieger Chrono

That's a rather tasty looking watch 8)

Journeyman

Personally, I don't like the blue edging to the hands.

I think it looks terrific. However be interested to see what price they are expecting for this.

regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by mhocking
    Personally, I don't like the blue edging to the hands.
    Bare in mind that these are quality heat-blued hands and in reality they look very dark in normal light, it is just common to show them in picture at an angle that highlights the colour.

Master

i was waiting on this

not sure

i prefer more traditional chronos

I really like Stowa's other chronos and fliegers but I'm not sure i like the layout on this one. :?

A clean machine in spite of being a chrono.

A lack of writing combined with relatively discreet numbers makes it look uncluttered in spite of the subdial.

I am not how ever sure, that I am sold on the idea of combining a Flieger and a chrono.

My only question is: "Why?"

Less is (still) more.

I think this is on the money. Great design and layout. Credit to Jörg... he's out done the dozens of other 'flieger chronos' out there.

-flugzeit

To me it's absolutely gorgeous. Size is something else ...
    Cheers
    Brane

Much deeper case than the current fliegers. I'd still rather have that case and a cleaner dial.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

I am not how ever sure, that I am sold on the idea of combining a Flieger and a chrono.

Less is (still) more.

I am inclined to agree.

The Flieger Original is, IMHO, a classic watch. Simple, functional but balanced.

Not so this particular offering.

I have a couple of Stowas and rate them highly, but I will not be ordering this model.

what do people think to the 1938 chrono? looks lovely!

Wish i knew a ballpark figure for price, then i could get saving!!

Blog Entries

Thumbs-up from me :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesN
    what do people think to the 1938 chrono? looks lovely!

Wish i knew a ballpark figure for price, then i could get saving!!
    They are indeed very very lovely, a dressy complement to Eddie's PRS5. However at 50mm lug-to-lug and 15mm high they are on the big side. Price is available on Stowa's website: from €1700 new.

Looks good, but somewhat generic. You could stick a logo from any number of manufacturers on it from any number of price ranges and none would look out of place.

Master

I like both the 1938 chronos (though not enough to buy them at retail), and I am a bit ambivalent on this one.

However, good for Jorg for trying something different.

I like it a lot, and the 1938 as well, except for them being yet more 7750 based chronos.

I would really like Stowa to make a regulator, I think they could produce a fabulous example.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius
    I like it a lot, and the 1938 as well, except for them being yet more 7750 based chronos.
    I would really like Stowa to make a regulator, I think they could produce a fabulous example.
    Well, Jörg would probably have to think about removing some dials from the traditional regulator layout to get things more interesting... oh, wait, he's already got one:

You can call this a Regulateur - Re-Interpreted! :)

Been reflecting on this for a few days... and I'll come straight out with it: the new Stowa Flieger Chronograph is overpriced, IMO. I love it, but don't think its worth more than € 850 to € 1,050 (maybe a little more) but that's it. There are just so many wonderful used flieger and military chronos out there at or under the price the new Stowa is being pitched at which more or less rules it out for me.

-flugzeit

It looks great! I like the blue hands on this dial, the crown is nice and the dial is clean for a chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit
    Been reflecting on this for a few days... and I'll come straight out with it: the new Stowa Flieger Chronograph is overpriced, IMO. I love it, but don't think its worth more than € 850 to € 1,050 (maybe a little more) but that's it. There are just so many wonderful used flieger and military chronos out there at or under the price the new Stowa is being pitched at which more or less rules it out for me.

-flugzeit
    I don't think there are many Valjoux 7753 chronos available in the €850-1,050 price range, are there?

Onion crown aside, I like 8)
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Really not too sure. This just seems a little unbalanced. Much prefer the 1938 in the other thread.

quite like the watch.
    But don't like the company. As they are one of the current breed of firms using / owning an old name to give false sense of history.
    when the current restarted company has no real links to the original that went bust years ago

Master

I thought Jorg Schauer bought the company from Werner Storz? Did Stowa go bankrupt prior to that, and does it really make a difference if there's continuity of ownership?

What do you think of Eddie's Smiths and Precista watches, as a matter of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by jnike
    Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit

-flugzeit
    I don't think there are many Valjoux 7753 chronos available in the €850-1,050 price range, are there?
    Yes... plenty of them, and a lot of these for sub US$1,000. OK, the Val. 7753 comes at a premium to the more common Val. 7750 but the price differential between the movements (and this is leaving aside commercial or bulk terms) is of the order of about US$200. I think the price of the new Stowa models is more about trying to take the brand up a notch, and good luck to them. I don't think this model (design or specs) commands the premium they are asking, however.

-flugzeit

You're absolutely right Cody.

1,700 would make an OK AD price – if there was an AD chain. But 1,700 is quite steep for a direkt seller. Not that I dislike Stowa, actually I really like Jörg's products. But the upmarket trend is a bit too much for me. Small = beautiful = exclusive? Not always.

Perhaps it's the influence of "Vorwerk Ventures"?
    http://www.vorwerk.com/html/press_relea ... ,2009.html
    (Old news, I know, but still...)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    You're absolutely right Cody.

1,700 would make an OK AD price – if there was an AD chain. But 1,700 is quite steep for a direkt seller. Not that I dislike Stowa, actually I really like Jörg's products. But the upmarket trend is a bit too much for me. Small = beautiful = exclusive? Not always.

Perhaps it's the influence of "Vorwerk Ventures"?
    http://www.vorwerk.com/html/press_relea ... ,2009.html
    (Old news, I know, but still...)
    I agree. Some of my "old" Schauers and Stowas were bought at fine prices off the German ebay. At that time, you could have bought one of the twin dialled Marine Chronmeters for £350/400 (and I kept putting it off)

Banned

this one is the nicest STOWA ever!!. it would be even more lovely as a monopusher.

Journeyman

Stowa are very good as far as watch face layout is concerned. The sizing of the numerals and their relation to each other is always precise and considered. This is a good example of that precision and attention to detail. It gets my tick

I'll be (in) the minority. This one does absolutely nothing for me. They have taken a classic watch and effed it up with a goofy-looking chrono function. Either buy a chrono or don't. The half-way thing fails in my book. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    A clean machine in spite of being a chrono.

A lack of writing combined with relatively discreet numbers makes it look uncluttered in spite of the subdial.

Less is (still) more.
    Can't fault this reply. I expect there is a market for it and I wish Jorg luck but I just wouldn't know what to say if a friend expressed an interest. And this comes from someone who loves the 'less is more' approach of Stowa watches

Journeyman

A nice one but i prefer the symmetry of a traditional tri-compax.

thumbs up from me as well as regular Flieger owner. My only downer is the hands always seem a little small uunless the light is catching the bluing on them.