closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which GMT?

Journeyman

Which GMT?

Good Sunday Morning to all you TZ'ers!

I suspect this post will see me swamped with pictures and opinions but I would like your collective views...

I need a dual time zone watch for business and was wondering what choice of GMT watch you would make if you had an open choice?

Suggest away...

Mark

Re: Which GMT?

Were I to pick a GMT right now, I would go for a Speedbird PRS-22 GMT

rolex gmt as i,m a rolex man :)

Master

Budget?

Speedbird for - unless the Dread is out v soon ;)

But a GMTIIc would be near the top of the list behind an Explorer II if price is not so much of an issue.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by a900ss
    Budget?
    Good question! Budget is not too restrictive... I'm considering PAM233, the new Explorer II (white dial/orange hand), GMTII... and things of that ilk. I'd say anything up to £8K, possibly more if a bargain AP or Patek came up!

Holy grail bar has now been raised by the new PP Aquanaut!

Master

Well I've got the GMTc and I love it.

Some people don't like the polished centre links (PCL's) but I'm really starting to like mine. I think it breaks up the bracelet without being too blingy. Changing time zones on the GMTc is a piece of cake and the 'comfort link' on the bracelet is very handy for wrists that swell slightly whilst flying or in warmer climates. It's also got a decent WR if that is necessary.

Good luck.

My considered choice is this MM600. It's a top quality high end piece but one that neither labels you a a flash git nor attracts hotel room burglars or muggers. Unless they are WIS too, in which case taking away their laptop or shouting "BREMONT" should be enough to momentarily disorientate them so you can make your escape.

It's a bit chunky for a business suit though. My other choices would be a new exp ii or a vintage GMT.

The modern watches above have an independently adjustable hour hand, which is so convenient that they make GMT watches without them a non-starter for me now.

Master

Given the choice it has to be this one or a close relative IMO - the definitive, iconic GMT by which others are measured.

Master

I'd go for a Glycine Airman of some kind....like a Base 22... :) it's on the left on the picture (the other one is nice too, but I prefer the Glycine...). :D

/erik

Master

The Fortis GMT Cosmonaut Chrono (603.22.11) is not a bad choice - though sub-optimal if your business travel takes you halfway round the world, it'd be a good choice for the 5 European countries in 5 days roadshow. Low profile enough to fit under a business short cuff; discreet and smart enough not to shout the wrong message to your business associates; 24hr display and quick-set permanent hour hand.

I reviewed it here: http://horologyclub.com/forum/viewto...1284ee432336cd

how about either of these two?

Or a Pam98

Good luck hunting!

Master

Take some pigeons and garnish with a cat.

My choice for functionality,

My choice for looks,

Master

It really HAS to be the Rolex GMT-II for sheer usability.

The mix of adjustable 12-hour hand (the mechanical watch patent of which I believe Rolex guards jealously), and rotating bezel make it the perfect travel & time zone tracker.

So... Unless you absolutely require a different look, go with the 500lb gorilla of this type of watch.

Mike.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    The mix of adjustable 12-hour hand (the mechanical watch patent of which I believe Rolex guards jealously), and rotating bezel make it the perfect travel & time zone tracker.
    I think you have the same function with a independently adjustable 12H hand on the Glycine Airman Base 22 in GA-version... :)

Cheers,

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Hitherto not big on Chopard but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, that is good looking! :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denke
    I think you have the same function with a independently adjustable 12H hand on the Glycine Airman Base 22 in GA-version... :)
    Ah. I stand corrected. I thought the Glycine Airman had two 24-hour hands.

Mike.

Journeyman

Which GMT?

JLC Reverso Squadra Hometime

Master

Ah. I stand corrected. I thought the Glycine Airman had two 24-hour hands.

Mike.
    The first models came as a pure 24H watch with a 24H hand and a rotating bezel to set a second time zone. Later on they started to produce Airmans with a more traditional GMT function (12H hand and a extra adjustable 24H hand). With the Base 22 there's a third way with a independently adjustable 12H hand. :)

Cheers,

Erik

Oris xxl worldtimer!

Master

I m a bit biased but here you go ,and soon to be reunited with me after a 6 month sabbatical at Bexley .

Journeyman

Rolex GMT-II :D

Master

I have no need for at dual timezone watch, but still I own this

857bracelet_1_800 by Seamus25, on Flickr

Master

Personally I only like GMTs with quick set hour hands so for me it would be a Rolex GMT II of some description or a Seamaster GMT.

I'd go for an Explorer II, GMT II or seamaster GMT, or for something a little off the wall, a JLC grande date GMT, a stunner of a watch

Master

Steve McQueen, Rolex Explorer II, you'll need to throw a bit more money at it though.....

Master

Cheers,

Erik
    Yes, my Oris World Timer does the same thing, albeit in a different way. Has pushers to set the main hour hand by + or - an hour while the second timezone is shown in a subdial. Not a 24H hand in the subdial, but it has a handy day / night window.

Quite a complicated movement, really.

Master

A tritium dialled Rolex GMT with Pepsi bezel.

I've recently been aware of the Omega De Ville Co-axial GMT. To me this looks so classy - ideal as a business/dress watch.

http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmi...8333132-20.png

Unfortunately no longer available but I'd like a second-hand one someday :lol:

BTW - is it ok to include the actual picture rather than link in posts like this?

Quote Originally Posted by MPH2OSkier
    Good Sunday Morning to all you TZ'ers!

I suspect this post will see me swamped with pictures and opinions but I would like your collective views...

I need a dual time zone watch for business and was wondering what choice of GMT watch you would make if you had an open choice?

Suggest away...

Mark
    For something a little different, you could do a lot worse than this shameless plug :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164002

Craftsman

Well...I go with GMT master nowdays:

Before that my absolut favourite was this one:

Independent hour hand, 300m water resistance and lume that glows like torch.
    Because of Rolex, Omega is not getting so much wrist time I wondering to sell it...PM if interested.

-OD

Classy, easy to read...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    The Fortis GMT Cosmonaut Chrono (603.22.11) is not a bad choice - though sub-optimal if your business travel takes you halfway round the world, it'd be a good choice for the 5 European countries in 5 days roadshow. Low profile enough to fit under a business short cuff; discreet and smart enough not to shout the wrong message to your business associates; 24hr display and quick-set permanent hour hand.

I like this but puzzled as to why sub-optimal for 12h(?) time difference.

Thought about it for a long time,eventually went for this one,

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    Thought about it for a long time,eventually went for this one,

:shock: Good Choice! that PAM 029 is certainly one of my GMT grails.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh
    Steve McQueen, Rolex Explorer II, you'll need to throw a bit more money at it though.....

Not a good choice because the hour hand does not move independently of the pointer hand.

My GMTc seems to be my holiday watch at the moment.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack

I like this but puzzled as to why sub-optimal for 12h(?) time difference.
    The configuration of the hands means that you get a quick-set permanent hour hand (excellent) which is very rare in a chrono - the only ones I know that offer this are the Omega GMT Chronos (Seamaster AT GMT, Solar Impulse, Speedmaster GMT) and the Breitling M-1. However, the 24 hour display at 3 and the date display are linked so that the date changes when the 24 hr hand is at 24. Now, if you fly from London to Paris and reset the main hour hand by an hour, the date will change 1 hour later (vs local time) than it should - ie, at 2400 London time, which is 0100 Paris time. OTOH, if you fly from, say, London to Auckland, it will change 11 hours later - meaning you spend almost half the day with the watch showing the date at home rather than where you are now. For a few hours time difference I see no problem, so for a trip to all the major Australian centres (+10, +9, +8) or Hong Kong, no problem; for my 2 weeks from Sydney to London, not a major problem, but sub-optimal.

I do like the watch- it's an excellent size for a business watch and has a superbly clear display, something Fortis do well. But since I tend to spend 3-4 weeks a year dealing with a 8-11 time difference from home, I've decided to go with the Omega Seamaster GMT or Rolex GMT II solution, and accept that I have to lose the chrono functionality. So the Fortis is up for sale or trade.

Spring Drive GMT/chrono have a quick set hour hand and you can turn the date back too.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748
    Not a good choice because the hour hand does not move independently of the pointer hand.
    Yes, often wondered about that. Doesn't seem very useful unless you can move either the 24h bezel or the 24h hand.

That rollie called Gmt. :D

ish

Girard Perregaux WW.TC Chronograph might do the trick :P

[attachment=0:vplvzhl5]Girard.jpg[/attachment:vplvzhl5]

http://www.girard-perregaux.com/collect ... e=1&id=245

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748
    Yes, often wondered about that. Doesn't seem very useful unless you can move either the 24h bezel or the 24h hand.
    Wasn't this watch originally advertised as useful for cave explorers? Basically, the 24hr hand lets you know if it is AM or PM, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Wasn't this watch originally advertised as useful for cave explorers? Basically, the 24hr hand lets you know if it is AM or PM, nothing more.
    This is true but my guess is when Rolex first made it somebody made a mistake not realising that a GMT hand went round once for every two of the hour hand!
    Realising their mistake after it had gone into production some bright spark came up with the idea of selling it as a 24hr hand. In reality would a cave explorer really be down a cave long enough to lose track of time?
    Would a cave explorer buy an expensive Rolex when there are cheaper watches available more suitable like a G-Shock?