closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submariner alternative or save for the Rolex?

Craftsman

Re: Submariner alternative or save for the Rolex?

Save

Bought brand new yesterday from a AD in south London. Apologies for the quality of the (mobile phone) picture.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin
    Bought brand new yesterday from a AD in south London. Apologies for the quality of the (mobile phone) picture.
    That looks great, I definitely want one :)

I'll have to start saving :wink:

If there's a realistic chance you'll be able to save up for it then that's what you should do. I'm not very good at saving - I really want a GO but once I have enough for a Seiko 600m SD diver (or even a Speedy Pro) in the piggy bank I'll probably end up getting one! Then I'll be back to square one...

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc
    If there's a realistic chance you'll be able to save up for it then that's what you should do. I'm not very good at saving - I really want a GO but once I have enough for a Seiko 600m SD diver (or even a Speedy Pro) in the piggy bank I'll probably end up getting one! Then I'll be back to square one...

I know exactly what you mean, i bought my Speedy on interest free, if I'd have had to save for it I probably wouldn't have one by now :wink:

Master

Start saving those pennies :wink:

Master

Depends how much of a stretch it would be to save up for the real thing. If it's a case of hard scrimping you might find that you're afraid to wear a precious watch in case it gets damaged.
    Maybe it would be best to go for something that you can easily afford :?:
    Just a thought :wink:

Firstly, whatever anybody says here, only you know whether another 'diver' will satisfy your urge. The very fact that you are thinking about a Sub suggests that this is really the one you want, and as such I doubt anything else will scratch the itch.

Re PO, SM's etc, I bought a 42mm PO to wear alongside my Speedy, and I have to say it wasn't long before I regretted my decision. There's no doubting the quality of the watch, especially the bracelet, but in the end it just didn't feel special enough... very hard to quantify why, just didn't sing to me. And that's coming from an Omega nut... Sold it and bought a vintage Sub, which I loved, but for reasons still not entirely clear to myself, after a year or so I sold it :(

Anyway, long story short, that was about 8 months ago, and rarely a day has gone by when I haven't thought of getting another... Subs have that effect on you. So, I've just agreed a deal on another 5513 from the States, will post some pics on arrival.

Get the Sub, IMO when it comes to dive watches, nothing else comes close. And I'm not a Rolex man, in fact there isn't one model in the current line-up that I aspire to.

The Sub is just 'another Diver's watch' and imo does not compare to the 2254 despite what the Rolex addicts on this board say! :D

If you want to get a Sub then get the two tone Sub, black or blue depending on your preferences. This is a GREAT watch and more than just 'another diver' :)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy
    The Sub is just 'another Diver's watch' and imo does not compare to the 2254 despite what the Rolex addicts on this board say! :D
    Got both.........Rolex is better. :P
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

In what way does it not compare?

The dial, Omega has nice wavy pattern and LEGENDARY lume on hour markers and hands very legible to tell the time. Rolex dial is matte black and legibility is ok

The bracelet on the Rolex, well enough said its acceptable and the Speedy is better made and feels substantial.

On the wrist the 2254 felt 'better' than the Sub

Relative value, having owned both previously, the Sub is not 2.5times better than the 2254 :D

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah

Master

I have both and came to the opposite conclusion :lol:

The Sub is an infinitely more comfortable watch to wear and just looks more classic. Lume excellent without being OTT. Bracelet lovely and easy to adjust. Nice bezel action, looks perfect for every occasion, has superb timekeeping. If I could only have one watch it would be a 14060...but it would be boring here if we all agreed with each other.

Back on topic, the OP states he has had a Seamaster previously, which he doesn't seem to miss.

In terms of relative values, both a pre-owned Sub and a 2254 should hold their worth very well if purchased at the right price.

However it's pretty clear that anything other a Sub will feel "inferior" and won't satisfy his desire for one.

There's no alternative for a SS Sub unless you consider the two tone version :D

Best to try the Sub at as many ADs as possible over a period of 3 weeks. This will give you a small insight into whether you 'really' like the Sub or not?

Worst thing is to buy the Sub and then not like it as your expectations exceeded the hype. The Sub is fantastic watch :D Just make sure you really want it !

Master

I have no doubt that the OP should save for the Sub. If I were him I would try one on before he starts saving as the sub certainly feels lightweight when compared to a PO or SMP. That puts some people off but as in all sorts of engineering heavier isn't awlays stronger.

I would LOVE someone to do a scientific test for strength between the two braclets. Yes the Rolex offering is lighter but surely the most important thing is how the links are held together. I'm very biased as I have the sub but I have also handled all sorts of SMPs at length and my guess is Rolex just have a more efficient design of bracelet therefore they don't need to make it overly heavy.

People also never mention the fact that the SMP clasp is secured with what looks like two paperclips. Hard to explain but those who have seen them know what I mean. If one very thin bit of metal is bent then your clasp is undone and your watch could be gone! Rolex have the fliplock so its the click in then the flip over to protect that.

The SMP and PO are no doubt very good watches but they are not a Rolex. And its as simple as that for some people, me included.

The dial, Omega has nice wavy pattern and LEGENDARY lume on hour markers and hands very legible to tell the time. Rolex dial is matte black and legibility is ok
    Sub dials haven't been matt black for a long time. :wink:

The bracelet on the Rolex, well enough said its acceptable and the Speedy is better made and feels substantial.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Yes the SMP bracelet feels more substantial because it is heavier and some people make the mistake of equating weight with strength.

The fliplock clasp on the Rolex will never come open whereas the clasp on the SMP is held shut by a bent spring which can and does loosen with age and inadvertently open.

The Rolex bracelet links are held together with screws. A far better (and more owner expedient) idea than the rods and collets of the Omega.

So in the real world the Rolex bracelet is superior.

On the wrist the 2254 felt 'better' than the Sub
    Your perception and nothing wrong with that..

Relative value, having owned both previously, the Sub is not 2.5times better than the 2254 :D
    The Sub is probably the cheapest all in house Swiss manufacture watch you can buy. Can't really compare it with a Swatch ETA IMO. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Nicely put Neil.... :)
    Cheers..
    Jase

We all have our own mind in what is a superior bracelet

I would not say Rolex is much better then some of the other on the marked I used a Seamaster in five years and a Oris CC in three they never went up
    and they have had a much better feel then they old Rolex brachelet.

Your hear it every time a Rolex bracelet take a beating the fans says it does whats it is meant to do,
    I just think when you give that kind of money as a Rolex cost then you can ask for more,Rolex cut see it to thats is why the news once is much better.

If you want a bracelet that is superior then take a look at what IWC,SEIKO,PP,AP,VC,GP and JLC make THATS superior

Does make me laugh all these references to Rolex's crappy bracelet, i.e. the 93150 (solid link) and 9315 (folded link) before it, of which many tens of thousands have no doubt been produced and most are probably still doing sterling service attached to some form of 20mm lugged Rolex sports watch somehwere in the world... (just check the clasp gate & rivet is secure :lol: )

The 1498 bracelet on my Speedy Pro is shinier, feels heavier (and must therefore be better quality :roll: ) and generally looks more expensive than my 93150, but you know what, it isn't as good. By that I mean it doesn't work as well. The button clasp is never going to be as secure as a fliplock, and the micro adjustment is a joke - just two holes compared to the nine on the 91350, so far more difficult to get a cosy fit if you're between links or even half links.

Yes, it's a little rattly, yes it's quite light (which I like) and yes the rear edge of the fliplock can catch on things, but ultimately it just does what it says on the tin, no bling, no unnecessary features, easy to adjust. A 'tool' bracelet for a 'tool' watch (yes, I know only about 0.001% are actually used by divers, but the fact is it would be quite comfortable at 1000 ft even if you wouldn't...).

Dons nomex overalls and awaits a flaming from the Rolex haters and / or non-owners.

Good if what I said make you laugh 8)
    to many people take watches way to serious :roll:

Bear in mind I did'nt at any time said the heavyer is better
    but if people take there Rolex glasses of,they will see that many brand makes better a bracelet then the old once from Rolex.

But Rolex fans is not know to be the best to take that some one talking bad about there brand
    or am I way off :wink:

I think Rolex makes som great watches but I many years there bracelet wasen't up to what you cut demand in this price range IMHO

I think you're the one that needs to chill out a bit, old boy.

If you'd actually bothered to take the time to read the thread in its entirety, then you'd have seen various other direct and indirect references to the apparent sub-standard nature of the Rolex bracelet (read 93150), which is why I said all these references... Don't flatter yourself that you alone are worthy of a response :roll:

So, since none of my previous post was actually addressed at you specifically or indeed anything you said, it's not really worth addressing the other oddities within your post.

Have a good evening :wink:

You to :wink:

I love how these rolex vs the rest of the world debates ALWAYS pan out in EVERY forum. Its a testament to the Rolex marketing strategy that their followers are programmed so thoroughly. You could tell these guys that a virgin birth was possible and, as long as the kid wore a rolex, the fools would believe it!
    That said, get past the inbred fanboyism and the uneducated brand worship and youll actually find that rolex make some pretty good watches. Sure, they have certain models/ranges specifically targetted at the gullible, but theyre also turning out some really good stuff too considering theyre hardly at the top-end of swiss watch manufacturers.
    Technologically and engineering-wise they make a very good account of themselves - you only have to take a look at the deepsea to see what the brand is capable of when they try. The rubbish they churn out at too much cost to the consumer funds the good stuff.
    The sub is a bit of a breadwinner for rolex, often bought just to own a rollie, but hack off the old codgers magnifier, up the depth rating and you got a seadweller - rolex can make great watches when they pull their fingers out.
    What Im driving at is, theres a lot of bullshit and brainwashing within the cult of rolex, but like all organised religion, theres a lot of wealth and investment flying around too and its not all bad!

Journeyman

Save like hell, flip the Speedy, sell the kids, kick the dog... but go for the Sub... you'll regret it everyday until you finally get one on your wrist!

The problem you'll then have... you'll want a Dweller instead! ;-)

BTW... you'd be amazed how dressy a Sub looks with a suit and tie... the equal of any Speedmaster!

Good luck in your quest.

Mark

can you elaborate :D

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo
    ............ Sure, they have certain models/ranges specifically targetted at the gullible, but theyre also turning out some really good stuff too considering theyre hardly at the top-end of swiss watch manufacturers.
    Technologically and engineering-wise they make a very good account of themselves - you only have to take a look at the deepsea to see what the brand is capable of when they try. The rubbish they churn out at too much cost to the consumer funds the good stuff................

I love how these rolex vs the rest of the world debates ALWAYS pan out in EVERY forum. Its a testament to the Rolex marketing strategy that their followers are programmed so thoroughly. You could tell these guys that a virgin birth was possible and, as long as the kid wore a rolex, the fools would believe it!
    That said, get past the inbred fanboyism and the uneducated brand worship and youll actually find that rolex make some pretty good watches. Sure, they have certain models/ranges specifically targetted at the gullible, but theyre also turning out some really good stuff too considering theyre hardly at the top-end of swiss watch manufacturers.
    Technologically and engineering-wise they make a very good account of themselves - you only have to take a look at the deepsea to see what the brand is capable of when they try. The rubbish they churn out at too much cost to the consumer funds the good stuff.
    The sub is a bit of a breadwinner for rolex, often bought just to own a rollie, but hack off the old codgers magnifier, up the depth rating and you got a seadweller - rolex can make great watches when they pull their fingers out.
    What Im driving at is, theres a lot of bullshit and brainwashing within the cult of rolex, but like all organised religion, theres a lot of wealth and investment flying around too and its not all bad!
    And of course you are the only one that can see through all the apparent "BS and brainwashing"?

The rest of us owners are just divs? :roll:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

If you're going to have to pauper yourself to afford a watch that's going to cost £1000s have a think about whether you'll b comfortable wearing it 'out & about'. Some will be; others will relegate the watch to being a 'safe queen'. Only you know which you are!

My advice - if I were you I'd buy a decent SubAlt at the right price; wear it & see whether it scratches your itch. If it doesn't, if you look after it you'll probably be able to sell it (losing nowt) should you decide to go for the Rollie. You'll have worn a half-decent watch for X years for next to nothing! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by MPH2OSkier
    Save like hell, flip the Speedy, sell the kids, kick the dog... but go for the Sub... you'll regret it everyday until you finally get one on your wrist!

The problem you'll then have... you'll want a Dweller instead! ;-)

BTW... you'd be amazed how dressy a Sub looks with a suit and tie... the equal of any Speedmaster!

Good luck in your quest.

Mark
    I was thinking about this yesterday, I could sell my Speedmaster in order to get the money for the Rolex quicker but the thing is I've always loved the Speedy since I got into watches and I finally got one when I was 40, I love all the history and moon landing association and with me being born in 1969 I don't think I could ever sell mine. I think the Speedy is perfect, well apart from only having 50m water resistance and this is why I want to add a diver and a Submariner in particular, so I'd have to get the Sub to go with my Speedy but not in place of it :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by MAW
    If you're going to have to pauper yourself to afford a watch that's going to cost £1000s have a think about whether you'll b comfortable wearing it 'out & about'. Some will be; others will relegate the watch to being a 'safe queen'. Only you know which you are!

My advice - if I were you I'd buy a decent SubAlt at the right price; wear it & see whether it scratches your itch. If it doesn't, if you look after it you'll probably be able to sell it (losing nowt) should you decide to go for the Rollie. You'll have worn a half-decent watch for X years for next to nothing! 8)
    Yes, good advice and that's what I'll do first.

Thanks to Minkle (Mike) I'm going to be able to try a Glycine Combat Sub, Mike sent me a message asking me if I'd like to try out his Glycine before I made any decisions and it will be with me shortly 8)
    What a fantastic thing to do, I've heard a few gestures like this recently too and that's what makes this the best forum out there :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II

I was thinking about this yesterday, I could sell my Speedmaster in order to get the money for the Rolex quicker but the thing is I've always loved the Speedy since I got into watches and I finally got one when I was 40, I love all the history and moon landing association and with me being born in 1969 I don't think I could ever sell mine. I think the Speedy is perfect, well apart from only having 50m water resistance and this is why I want to add a diver and a Submariner in particular, so I'd have to get the Sub to go with my Speedy but not in place of it :wink:
    Is the right answer.

Then you will own the two classics. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

............ Sure, they have certain models/ranges specifically targetted at the gullible, but theyre also turning out some really good stuff too considering theyre hardly at the top-end of swiss watch manufacturers.
    Technologically and engineering-wise they make a very good account of themselves - you only have to take a look at the deepsea to see what the brand is capable of when they try. The rubbish they churn out at too much cost to the consumer funds the good stuff................
    Well, thatd amount to me calling specific watches, actually owned by forum members, rubbish, which is cruel.
    And itd just set a lot of people to thinking that Im anti rolex, which Im not - as I say, some of their watches are rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    And of course you are the only one that can see through all the apparent "BS and brainwashing"?

The rest of us owners are just divs? :roll:
    Absolutely not. There are many posts on many forums that allude to it and Im sure a lot of rolex owners can see through the BS and brainwashing, yourself included, but , theyll also recognise that, if you want a thing enough youll find a way to afford it whether its "worth it" or not. As I also said, theres a lot that rolex do thats really quite good.

Get a Tudor. Far cooler, you won't get asked if it's real and you can get snowflake, rather than those ghastly Mercedes hands.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Buy a used Steinhart now, save for the Rolex, then sell the Steinhart (you'll get most of your money back). I bought a Sub ND first, then a Steinhart LV. The Steinhart is a real bargain new, even better at £250 for a minty used one.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    x2 Except my Steinhart was a TAG. I saved long and hard for two years to buy a Sub and the satisfaction when you eventually walk out the AD with it on the wrist is worth waiting for - trust me. Here's mine taken yesterday - some slight encouragement. Good luck!

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Well, thatd amount to me calling specific watches, actually owned by forum members, rubbish, which is cruel.
    Oh go on.

I'm sure all the poor saps that have bought the "rubbish" would love to be educated by an expert so they didn't make the same mistake again.

Forums are all about learning.

And itd just set a lot of people to thinking that Im anti rolex, which Im not - as I say, some of their watches are rather good.
    I don't know how anyone could think that if you are just giving us the benefit of your expertise?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Now now. Tsk!

I would imagine that the stuff made out of precious metals and studded with jewellery is where Rolex make huge margins. The SS models are a hell of a lot closer to value for money, even if what it costs to make them and their markup remains shrouded in mystery as they do not have to publish that sort of thing. To the OP, I'd be leaning towards an ND Sub or an older SD - I find the cyclops in particular, and to a lesser extent the date window, annoying considering that I would spend half my life twirling crowns if I were to have them all showing the correct date when I get around to wearing my too many watches. Also I just prefer the simplicity of the ND dial.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble
    I would imagine that the stuff made out of precious metals and studded with jewellery is where Rolex make huge margins.
    I would agree and all the big makers do it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The Rolex sports models are just fantastic - way beyond marketing.

I've tried dozens of brands and come back to the subs and explorers every time - vintage or new they just work and work well - crowns just do what they're meant to (a very telling sign IMHO), they keep good time, they're solid and they just work.

Simple.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    Quote Originally Posted by MAW

Yes, good advice and that's what I'll do first.

Thanks to Minkle (Mike) I'm going to be able to try a Glycine Combat Sub, Mike sent me a message asking me if I'd like to try out his Glycine before I made any decisions and it will be with me shortly 8)
    What a fantastic thing to do, I've heard a few gestures like this recently too and that's what makes this the best forum out there :)

And you'll probably still want to try a sub, save up, buy a 2nd hand one wisely and you'll shouldn't lose out if you do decide to sell.

https://sites.google.com/site/roland...tierte-edition

Roland Kemmner's 007, he's only hoing to make 50 of them , and if I recall thats not much over 200 euro each

I would imagine that the stuff made out of precious metals and studded with jewellery is where Rolex make huge margins.
    But why, when all the other big makers in the ADs look gold, do rolexes manage to look xmas tree decoration metallic yellow? Genuine question.

Master

Yes the SMP bracelet feels more substantial because it is heavier and some people make the mistake of equating weight with strength.

The fliplock clasp on the Rolex will never come open whereas the clasp on the SMP is held shut by a bent spring which can and does loosen with age and inadvertently open.

The Rolex bracelet links are held together with screws. A far better (and more owner expedient) idea than the rods and collets of the Omega.

Well, an £8 NATO is superior on these terms (and for that matter, significantly superior to the bracelet on my Rolex GMT, as well).

Got all this for the price of a brand new Rolex.

All used and vintage but I got three classics for the price of one.I was even offered a trade for a Rolex for my Eterna Kontiki Super IDF I turned it down.You get a lot for less money with the Tudor Submariner same case as a Rolex just a different movement dial and hands.I just like the snowflake hands better than the mercedes hands.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover

Well, an £8 NATO is superior on these terms (and for that matter, significantly superior to the bracelet on my Rolex GMT, as well).
    I was comparing bracelets.

Can you get a NATO bracelet? :roll:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

But why, when all the other big makers in the ADs look gold, do rolexes manage to look xmas tree decoration metallic yellow? Genuine question.
    18k Gold is 18k gold, the alloys can be slightly different to give a different hue.

TBH I have never seen Rolex yellow gold as looking different to anyone elses but obviously you think you can

I realise they struggle to look as stylish as these. :lol:

As I said before all makers do that sort of stuff as there must be a ready market.

Not WIS of course.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    Got all this for the price of a brand new Rolex.

All used and vintage but I got three classics for the price of one.I was even offered a trade for a Rolex for my Eterna Kontiki Super IDF I turned it down.You get a lot for less money with the Tudor Submariner same case as a Rolex just a different movement dial and hands.I just like the snowflake hands better than the mercedes hands.
    I agree. A far better option and three classics.