closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer 2 Some New Pictures, 42mm in size

Re: Rolex Explorer 2 Some New Pictures, 42mm in size

Need to see it in hand. I loved pictures of the GMTIIc but when I had it in hand thought it hideous. I like the updated Sub so the Explorer may be a winner in black, don't like the white chavvy number though

I think it looks fantastic, a massive improvement on the old version.

I wonder what second hand prices will be like in a year...

Master

Re: Rolex Explorer 2 New Pictures, 42mm in size

Quote Originally Posted by mark563
    Another picture showing the new Black model, very nice, hope they bring out a SD in the 42mm case next year, one can dream :lol:

That looks ace.

Master

Mmm Mmm. FWIW I think that looks stunning, this could be the first Rolex Ive ever seen that Ive actually want to go and try on, but fear it may still be a little on the small side for me :(

this may have been posted but i wasnt going to look through 7 pages of this thread to check.

£5180 is the list :shock: :? :(

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    Are people phoning their ADs to ask if they can be taken off the list? :D

i NEED one :D

chris

Master

The prices really are comedy now aren't they... not in a good way.

I still think that Rolex are the best value for money mainstream brand available when all is considered, but it really is becoming hard to justify the money.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3

I still think that Rolex are the best value for money mainstream brand available when all is considered, but it really is becoming hard to justify the money.

it is crazy, didn't stop me ordering one though :roll:

As long as people keep buying the price will continue to rise until it reaches a point sales suffer but at 1 million plus chronometre certs issued for Rolex last year :shock: i can't really see that happening anytime soon

Master

Totally agree, it really is getting ridiculous now. When the DSSD was released i remember moaning to a friend at work that just over 4k was utterly stupid money for a watch, that they'd never sell and that Rolex would be forced to drop their price within 6 months. Didn't quite work out that way though :lol:

Absolutely love this watch having got used to it for a while. I doubt I'll be going on any AD's lists unless I find a new client or two but I'll undoubtedly end up with one when pre-loved examples make an appearance.

(First dibs please Vicky ;) )

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swatch
    Are people phoning their ADs to ask if they can be taken off the list? :D
    I will be popping in later today to withdraw interest. There are much better watches to spend north of five large on.
    Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    I will be popping in later today to withdraw interest. There are much better watches to spend north of five large on.
    Crazy!
    Sensible. You'll probably be able to bag a new on on SC for a significant saving pretty soon after launch knowing the folk round here!

Whilst I really like the look of the EXPII 42mm that's a serious hike from the previous version. Guess I'll have to start saving...

So priced between the 116610LN and the 116610LV? I'm surprised it is almost £300 more than the GMT IIC.

Eck major money.. I will stay with the "old" version and a GMT II I think!

Only worth paying top list price if you are going to keep it forever and you have £5k+ to spare and don't have anything better to spend it on, imo of course. I could be persuaded to px my GMTc if they gave what I paid for it, which is unlikely.
    I wonder how long it will take before the AD's are discounting it?

Hello watch-nut,

I'm not saying that the price is wrong but do you mind me asking where you got it from?

The reason I ask is that I popped into an AD on Sunday to confirm my place on the list and they didn't have any details about the watch, ie no SKU, no price, nada. I was told by the Manager that they only find out this info when the Rolex UK team return from Basel.

Master

Price is steep to say the least and, IMO, the watch isn't that significantly different or that much of an improvement on the old one to warrant the increase :shock:

Mind you, I would say that wouldn't I (lovingly looking at my Explorer II :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Is that really £5180 - omg this is going to cost a lot.

Oh well it's only money and I guess it simply means more will have to be sold to cover the cost.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    So priced between the 116610LN and the 116610LV? I'm surprised it is almost £300 more than the GMT IIC.
    Keep in mind the prices quoted are being calculated based on a Euro figure, and generally Rolexs work out cheaper in the UK at current exchange rates, so I wouldn't read too much into the position of £5,180 compared to current UK Rolex prices, focus more on where the Euros price sits compared to the rest of the range in Euros.

So a jump of nearly £1K?
    At what price point would the watches be unsaleable? Somehow I think £5k+ isn't it.

About the same increase from old as all the newer range then.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748
    http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/3/28/exclusive-hand-on-with-the-new-rolex-explorer-ii-orange-hand.html
    The white dial does look good on the wrist shot.

So lets start some rumours; I heard there's a new SD coming out sharing this 42mm case...

Does anyone know the Date for Uk Release?...........or a definate List Price?

Thx

Juice

Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    Does anyone know the Date for Uk Release?...........or a definate List Price?
    I asked an AD a couple of days ago and they still hadn't been given any details, ie no release date, no list price. But the manager who I spoke to estimates that it will be available around October time.

Love the white dialed :)

Grand Master

My initial reaction is the same as when I saw the Sub C initially; I prefer the old version for the same reasons I prefer the old Sub.

I`m sure this will prove to be more popular due to the size increase/chunky case and I assume the bracelet's improved too.

I`m also sure the price will have risen :(

Last of the old models at the 'right' price may be a good buy?

Paul

I like it just the way it has been designed. The 42mm case, white maxi dial and fat hands make this one of my all time favourite Rolex's.

Thanks for the info......

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja
    I like it just the way it has been designed. The 42mm case, white maxi dial and fat hands make this one of my all time favourite Rolex's.
    Me too - red writing and SEA-DWELLER SUBMARINER 2000 on the dial ;)

I'm still waiting for details of the new release - seeing AD either Tues/Wed and should have full details.

Verrrrry cool - especially the black dial, as it make the thick minutes hands look a little less thicker than on the white dialled one.

Any danger of these becoming flavour of the month for...eh...a month or two, before the initial novelty wears off (remember the Vintage Tudor chrono reissue fuss?)

TTPS

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    I think the hands are just too FAT!
    Yes, I'm worried about the visibility when the hands are not arrange for photos at 10 past 10.

A couple of pictures of the new white with the black model, think I like them both :lol: and also a comparison against the old models, quite an improvement in my opinion.

I realise I am probably the odd one out here but the new designs just look "bloated" IMO.

My reasons are:

1. The fat hands are horrible with no sense of proportion and will probably look very strange when in close proximity to each other.

2. The bezel font is nasty and "comic book" looking compared to the previous model.

3. If the price is what has been quoted around the £5K mark.............. :shock:

Yet again with Rolex the previous elegance of design has been ditched at the new altar of clunkiness. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    A couple of pictures of the new white with the black model, think I like them both :lol: and also a comparison against the old models, quite an improvement in my opinion.

I realise I am probably the odd one out here but the new designs just look "bloated" IMO.

My reasons are:

1. The fat hands are horrible with no sense of proportion and will probably look very strange when in close proximity to each other.

2. The bezel font is nasty and "comic book" looking compared to the previous model.

3. If the price is what has been quoted around the £5K mark.............. :shock:

Yet again with Rolex the previous elegance of design has been ditched at the new altar of clunkiness. :?
    Maybe Rolex will get a few requests to swap out the hands from the old model? I'm sure they will say no, but they would look better. I hadn't really noticed the fat font on the bezel until you mentioned it, but now that you do...
    I do like the look with the 24-hr hand though with a nod to history.
    Might be a case of how it looks in the metal.

Craftsman

Nice to see the comparison shots above. On its own, I liked the look of the new version but seeing them side by side and the new verison seems to me to have lost some finesse and the dial overall looks rather busy in the pics. Strangely, the new maxi hands made me think of the chunky hands on the Seiko Sumo (more the amamount of dial space they occupy rather than the actual shape!)

I'll still be interested to see the new verison in the flesh but according to my AD it'll be towards the year end, and they too had no idea on price.

As I've said elsewhere:

The new model takes the the "current" Explorer II, exposes it to the now de riguer jumbo-fication with which Rolex seems so enamoured, and beefs it up to 42mm. In doing so, the boys and girls at Rolex appear to have increased the flair on the lugs, widening them significantly, and lending them the same, heavy shouldered look that was so evident in the supersized Explorer from last year. It now looks squatter than ever, as if it's carrying too much weight and has spilled out over the top of its impeccably-tailored hiking trousers. For me, the orange hand looks similarly mismatched; a sore thumb against a polar white background. The black-dialled version (which was strangely missing in the official Rolex press pack) looks slightly better. But only just...

Craftsman

The comparison shots don't trouble me so much. Yes, that clunky case is still there, but the rest looks good (or near as the same as makes no difference). At least this looks like a Rolex, mostly. In contrast, the DSSD with its glidelock clasp, thin bracelet and maxi markers looks like the ugly step child of a MM300 and a Seadweller*. The Explorer II retains the essential features that made it a desirable watch- so three cheers to Rolex.

*both of which I really like, just not their semi-progeny

Some of the comments make me laugh....

I think the hands are just too FAT!
    The fat hands are horrible with no sense of proportion and will probably look very strange when in close proximity to each other.
    Yes, I'm worried about the visibility when the hands are not arrange for photos at 10 past 10.
    A millimetre or 2 isn't going to make much difference is it? To me it looks in keeping with the bigger size.

Worried, nothing to worry about with a Rolex on your wrist! Your eyes should be good enough to read the time from.

When you compare some of the older Sub's from the 60's and 70's to today's they have increased a lot of the sizes and I think it's just following or making the trends.

After a short while when I change from a GMT2 to a 2c I hardly notice the increase in size and it certainly does not make the way it feels on the wrist any different.

Those that don't like it can fill their boots when all the current models hit the sales threads....it's starting already!

Some of the comments make me laugh....
    Laugh away then....... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    The fat hands are horrible with no sense of proportion and will probably look very strange when in close proximity to each other.

A millimetre or 2 isn't going to make much difference is it? To me it looks in keeping with the bigger size.
    A millimetre or 2 can make a fantastic difference on a watch but those hands are not just in keeping they go far above that.

Those that don't like it can fill their boots when all the current models hit the sales threads....it's starting already!
    Already have enough older models thank you and have not been seduced into the new lumpen versions. :P

Newer is not always better. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The Exp II looks great, the size may be a little on the large size for me, dial look amazing including the hands. The lume must be stunning

God i love the Black one...........

New white model looks like the one to get, very nice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    New white model looks like the one to get, very nice imo.
    Yes indeed - I will be wearing one as my weekend watch (obviously when I am out exploring too) as soon as it turns up - first on my AD's list and looking forward to it :)

I'll be buying the older style.

personally i'm not a fan of the 'maxi' style on the new explorers. I much prefer the elegance and finesse of the original.

The maxi dial on my 'old school' LV is definitely an improvement on the standard models in terms of clarity IMHO, but I'm afraid the comparison shots of the new Exp II expose how Rolex has again changed an elegant but chunky icon into a bloated ham-fisted nod to current fashion-watch trends :twisted:

Rant over, but I know there isn't one of these new models in my future - although I have a feeling the older style watches will be far more collectible now. Rolex, having been a favourite brand of mine since I first saw the ads in National Geographic as a kid is now off my radar :roll:

I saw my AD yesterday and I am now no. 2 on the list for a black face. Should know price and approx arrival times fairly soon as the Rolex rep is paying a visit next week. If I don't like it there will be no probs.

Peter

Has anyone heard any further (confirmed) details about either a UK release date or the official UK price for the new Explorer II?