closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Mille Miglia (Chopard)?

Which Mille Miglia (Chopard)?

Often, when I think of a brand that I might consider buying, I like to get the quintessential piece of their collection in the knowledge that I might not have another of the same brand in future. Obviously the watch would have to sing to me too.

Was looking at some Chopard watches the other day. The Mille Miglia range are a nice sport look with some lovely rubber straps(steel bracelet also available).

Which one would you get? I think these dials come in the opposing colour too (white or black).

Around 4k for this Power reserve:

Just over 3 grand for these: (the one I'm favouring as the original and best).

Chrono: somewhere in region of 4 and 5

Re: Which Mille Miglia (Chopard)?

Tried one of these on (they wear quite big) like them, prefer the black power reserve one best :) .

Let us know if/what you get.

Digger

Third photo for me, tried this on a couple of times now and it's a real favourite of mine.

I like the original dial best and I would buy secondhand and not new as they do lose their value fast. You should easily pick up a 1-2 year example for 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt
    I like the original dial best and I would buy secondhand and not new as they do lose their value fast. You should easily pick up a 1-2 year example for 2k.
    Iconic watches are advertising them at £2400 new. Now I know they are going to have to source one but if they can get one and sell you one at £2400 then that's a very good price

Thanks for the contributions so far, guys - we see a bit of a spread.

I agree...2400 is a very good price! The way it wears and the build quality suggests a very nice piece there. You see other watches at twice the price for something of this quality.

Chopard were originally a watch house before their jewellery lines lest we forget!

Master

The titanium chronos are quite nice.................................... :wink: :wink:

Master

I have this one, absolutely love it. I know they sell second hand for a more than reasonable price. You'll get an exceptionable watch in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet
    The titanium chronos are quite nice.................................... :wink: :wink:

Cheeky! But quite right. The one you have for sale is really quite stunning. An associate has one and it looks amazing. I much prefer it to the selection above - sorry OP
    Gray

Chrono for me

I'd vote for the power reserve. Used to have the Chrono GMT which was a nice piece but traded it for a PAM. Agree with the point on looking for second hand as the depreciation is steep...

Master
    Blog Entries

XL no power reserve. Nice clean dial. Make sure you grab a nice leather strap too :-). Had a few they're terrific. The other dials are too busy IMO.

Master

I'd choose the standard Gran Turismo XL with a black dial. Simple and iconic, IMO.

I've handled a few of these in an Italian AD and they feel pretty well-made from my cursory inspection.

For me, the original Chrono (smaller one) or the new Chrono; for the money I'd want the nice dial details and so on. The power reserve looks retarded IMO.

I'd vote for one of the titan chrono's as well. I'd would say this mind as i own a Racing Colour Rosso Corsa version :lol:

Grand Master

Te standard XL's pop up for well under £2k and thats the one I would choose from that bunch, although they are all nice
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchman
    I'd vote for one of the titan chrono's as well. I'd would say this mind as i own a Racing Colour Rosso Corsa version :lol:
    And here it is

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z56su9.jpg

Journeyman

The chrono hands down!!

- Morten

I had the plaint black GTXL, it was OK. I thought the rubber strap was ghastly, but that's just me. I like the power reserve, too. I think my favourite is the Ana-digi thing they do, but that doesn't sound very WIS to me :S

I was lucky enough to drive in the race in 2008 and have one of the limited-editions done for that year with my race car's number as the serial number. So I didn't have much choice about which model to have, but nonetheless I love it and would recommend it - I like it so much I got married in it! At 44mm it's pretty big and borderline-bling but it looks good and always gets great comments when I wear it. Personally I love the rubber tyre-tread strap but you can also get a really nice leather rallye for it, reasonably priced. Given the motorsport connection I'd definitely go for a chrono, though. And the polished cases need looking after. Agree about buying one used to save some (lots of!) cash - if you can find one - but make sure you get the full set - worth having!

Here's mine being used to time something fairly quick, and with the lovely tyre pressure gauge it comes with!

Master

^^ Lovely pic in the Veyron SS!
    What did you compete in, in the Mille Miglia?

I really like the original GT, as it's not overly chunky despite it's size, and not too cluttered.

I generally dislike power reserve dials, as they can look a bit gimmicky and can make the dial look a bit busy. This one is certainly gimmicky, but for some odd reason I quite like it! I suppose the motoring racing conceit, with power reserve as speedometer and rubber strap as tyre tread is quite fitting and ties in the the Mille Migla theme.

I can't make up my mind about the chrono. I always have a bit of a love / hate relationship with chronos, as I appreciate the aesthetic and the mechanics, but can't dispel the nagging feeling that the dial is a bit too messy. But hey, that's just me.

Any of them would make a fine addition to your wrist. I've never had the good fortune to own a Chopard piece, but I've tried one on, and even on my skinny wrist it looked great. Good luck with your decision, it's a great dilemma (or indeed trilemma) to have.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wrists
    but make sure you get the full set - worth having!
    Hi 2wrists,

Did you compete in the Mille Migla? That's pretty cool! What sort of car did you drive? This year's race will be on soon. You're not in it are you?

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what did you mean by "the full set"?

Cheers guys. Some good comments there and who would have thought we'd have someone who has actually taken part in the famous race?!

Yet to see any watch in titanium that I like the look of - sorry gray and stiglet. The colour of the metal just takes away from the watch imo.

I agree the watch does wear big but it doesn't make a 'big' statement.

The quality is definitely tangible. Feels like a substantial and well-made piece. Eye-catching without being a head-turner which is what I like.

I like chronos usually but this particular one is a tad too busy for me. I like the power reserve in the white but I'm still favouring the orginal GT XL.

Someone said they thought the rubber strap was hideous - fair enough - but to me it feels solid and substantial, a bit like a car tyre - perhaps that was the intention.

I have the GT XL and while I do like the rubber tyre strap, I much prefer this:

Either way, its a cracking watch!

I had a GTXL with white face and power reserve. Really liked it and it got a lot of nice comments. I always wore it on a thick, tan leather strap. Agree about getting one second hand: mine was a few months old and way below list.

Go for it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chomega

In an article that I never got around to publishing, I declared 'that' to be most iconic watch* to come out of the noughties. Great movement, great design, great wrist presence, and by a top maker. If you can afford the power reserve even better.

john

* In the affordable >£2.5K section.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SquashyViscount
    but make sure you get the full set - worth having!
    Hi 2wrists,

Did you compete in the Mille Migla? That's pretty cool! What sort of car did you drive? This year's race will be on soon. You're not in it are you?

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what did you mean by "the full set"?
    The 'full set' usually means box, papers, hang tags, etc, but in this case needs to include the outer box with the tyre pressure gauge...

Not in it this year, sadly...

Wow, so does it still come with the gauge, do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

In an article that I never got around to publishing, I declared 'that' to be most iconic watch* to come out of the noughties. Great movement, great design, great wrist presence, and by a top maker. If you can afford the power reserve even better.

john

That's quite a statement. Would be curious to see that article if you feel you still want to publish it. :wink:

Could you tell us more about the movement..is it LUC? Or is that reserved for the higher-end ones? I've been interested in Chopard watches for a couple of years now (from an aesthetic and heritage point of view) but don't know an awful lot.

Pretty much all the new Mille Miglias are ETA 7750 or ETA Valgrantes based movements, unlike the smaller previous generation, which were pretty much all 2894/2892 based.

The LUC movements are for the moment only in the LUC line (starting at about GBP4500), though I understand that Chopard will be bringing LUC movements to Mille Miglias at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john

That's quite a statement. Would be curious to see that article if you feel you still want to publish it. :wink:

Could you tell us more about the movement..is it LUC? Or is that reserved for the higher-end ones? I've been interested in Chopard watches for a couple of years now (from an aesthetic and heritage point of view) but don't know an awful lot.
    No. The LUC movements are for the higher end of their range. The mid-range Mille Miglia use ETA movs. The GT XL uses the ETA Valgranges caliber A07.111 which is a new large size mov.

http://www.valgranges.ch/html/en/

john

PS Don't hold your breath about any articles of mine as I don't write that much anymore.

A year ago you could have had (an as new) one these for around £1K.

john

^ ^Thanks for the pics.

You were selling one? Or you know a good source?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    I have this one, absolutely love it. I know they sell second hand for a more than reasonable price. You'll get an exceptionable watch in the end.

One of my all time favourite watches after trying on a gold version. I just wish they made it at least 100M WR as then it really would be a watch I could wear for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    ^ ^Thanks for the pics.

You were selling one? Or you know a good source?
    No sorry. But they do come up fairly frequently as it is a gateway watch and people sell them on after they've moved up.

john

The 'full set' usually means box, papers, hang tags, etc, but in this case needs to include the outer box with the tyre pressure gauge...
    I suppose I should have guessed box, papers, etc., but I never would have expected a tyre pressure gauge to be part of a watch set! I thought maybe it came with a couple of interchangeable straps. Thank you for the info.