closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Becareful what you post

Becareful what you post

Facebook, Forum and Twitter users, who can see your posts?? What’s the worst piece of information that you could post on a social networking site?
    Increasingly with the availability of your Twitter, Forums and Facebook on your mobile phone, as well people’s desire to share their experiences as they happened. On holiday posting pictures as you travel seams innocent enough, until you consider that everyone can see these.......how well do you know everyone you are connected too?
    You are hundreds of miles away posting merrily, but at home an unscrupulous individual is gathering that information to target your house, as an example within 4 hours of a friend of an acquaintance posting their holiday picture. We had their home address and the duration of their holiday... would maybe control your excitement until you return to post pictures of your amazing holiday.

Taken from a larger article that was produced by the IT Security company that I work for.....

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Re: Becareful what you post

It's a information age....

And, information can be used for good, or evil.

It seems to be becoming the norm to share everything with everyone with no consideration about the risks and impacts. The whole online social networking phenomenon to be honest makes me very nervouos (prob why i avoid them). Look at the recent issues with the Sony Playstation network.

Nothing wrong with social networking online, but hey how about social networking in person?

Right off to update twitter, facebook, myspace, bebo, blog, webpage, latitiude with my whereabouts and bank details :wink:

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

I'm not going to share my thoughts on this.......
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    I'm not going to share my thoughts on this.......
    :lol: :lol:

I have a number of "friends" (acquaintances) who live their whole life through facebook, to the extent that i'm tempted to live a whole day via the medium of facebook:

"tiny73 is in trap 1"
    "tiny73 is straining a little"
    "tiny73 now has a neighbour in trap 2"
    "tiny73 has finished in the lavatory now"
    "tiny73 has picked his pen up"
    "tiny73 has just wriotten the word "cheese" on his to-do list"

etc etc but for a whole day...

Master

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum; I think my Facebook status still says that having the bathroom out of action due to builders being in is a bit of a drag, which it was - in the summer of 2009.

For me, it's useful for sharing photos with friends and family and getting in touch with old friends (although only occasionally as I'm already in touch with most of the people I actually want to be) - the idea of going on there every day, providing information about where I am and how long I'll be there for just seems absolutely barking.

Master

I think one just needs to use some common sense. I see far too many people posting images/information which I wouldn't dream of doing online. Modern technology - good and bad as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73
    I have a number of "friends" (acquaintances) who live their whole life through facebook, to the extent that i'm tempted to live a whole day via the medium of facebook:

"tiny73 is in trap 1"
    "tiny73 is straining a little"
    "tiny73 now has a neighbour in trap 2"
    "tiny73 has finished in the lavatory now"
    "tiny73 has picked his pen up"
    "tiny73 has just wriotten the word "cheese" on his to-do list"

etc etc but for a whole day...
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for making me laugh and that's pretty much my thoughts on tw&tbook.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. I'm currently listening to an inane account fondler talking absolute waffle.

Thomas Reid

What's facebook?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

I know that's a rhetorical question, but to me it's an incomprehensible, poorly designed site full of pointless gewgaws and mostly populated by idiots who, were it not for the internet, would properly have been deprived of a public platform. On the other hand, it's a way of sharing photos that many of my friends, family and wife's family have registered for, so from that aspect it's useful.

I don't get the exhibitionist element though - the need to tell everybody everything, in real time. Bizarre :?

I still can't get over the monetary values they place on Facebook. Far too much hype.

After spending 30+ years in IT in most aspects I still can't get over the fact that for all the billions spent in R&D, technological advancements etc the greatest majority use seems to be is to play games and engage in inane chatter (i.e filling a vacuum, as does expanding bandwidth on TV and radio). Glad I'm retired and out of it so I can practice being a grumpy old git.

None of Facebook, twitter etc for me thanks.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    What's facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    What's facebook?
    :lol: Now that kind of facebook I can identify with, although that chaps myopia is a little severe I must say :lol:

Cheers,
    Gary

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brigant
    After spending 30+ years in IT in most aspects I still can't get over the fact that for all the billions spent in R&D, technological advancements etc the greatest majority use seems to be is to play games and engage in inane chatter (i.e filling a vacuum, as does expanding bandwidth on TV and radio). Glad I'm retired and out of it so I can practice being a grumpy old git.

None of Facebook, twitter etc for me thanks.

Yeah, i tend to read up on subjects on the internet, from the usual wikipedia information, through to dissertations and releases related to my work and fields i'm interested in. It always annoys me when people ask me a question on certain things when they have a laptop, internet connection and almost all of the information mankind has found at their fingertips, but just see the internet as facebook/twitter/watch forums :D/etc.

I had one of those at work today, someone looking for an answer to an engineering query that required a formula and a quick brief on the subject before carrying it out, 10 seconds on google and i'd found the formula, a discussion forum on the subject and posts relating to a similar query, i still can't understand how in this day and age we have it all at our fingertips, but some people still can't problem solve effectively.

Aerse book? Twatter? Me face? Wo for you speek of meester? ees for the yung peersons of little breen....

When I were a lad, the pub was my "facebook" or "off my face book" on occasion.

Master

All the social networking sites like the ones mentioned are a virus, people leave jigsaws about there life and they can be put together very easily to give a good all round picture,

Forums are different because there big gaps in the required information,

I do not use them and find what I have seen very tiresome have they got nothing better to do,

Example wife is bursar at school, mum rings in sick for 2 children, later that day picture on Facebook of children enjoying a dip in the pool in Spain. They have to go as unauthorised absence and the LEA has to be informed.

There are many more examples of people getting found out,

What A tangled web we weave when we first set out to deceive

Mark

Master

Quote Originally Posted by "

I had one of those at work today, someone looking for an answer to an engineering query that required a formula and a quick brief on the subject before carrying it out, 10 seconds on google and i'd found the formula, a discussion forum on the subject and posts relating to a similar query, i still can't understand how in this day and age we have it all at our fingertips, but some people still can't problem solve effectively.

TBH that sounds like elitism and not very team spirited, but then again in the world of work it's become cut throat and people are starting to defend the information they have to enrich the workforce, and try to keep people who could threaten them in there place.

Mark

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk
    TBH that sounds like elitism and not very team spirited, but then again in the world of work it's become cut throat and people are starting to defend the information they have to enrich the workforce, and try to keep people who could threaten them in there place.
    How on earth is that elitism? And whats team spirit got to do with it? One found the answer on the web by putting in some effort; the other couldn't be bothered. Seems just plain old laziness to me.

Quote Originally Posted by UJJWALDEY8165
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk
    How on earth is that elitism? And what's team spirit got to do with it? One found the answer on the web by putting in some effort; the other couldn't be bothered. Seems just plain old laziness to me.
    Laziness might not have come into at all. I think Argee1977 summed it up perfectly well - "some people still can't problem solve effectively."

I also fixed your typo as you were obviously too lazy to proof-read what you wrote. :wink:
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

I read that as laziness - or not willing to do the job properly; rather than inability to do it

And no, I dont proof read every word I write here. If what I do write is difficult for you to follow, Murraymint, i suggest you put me on ignore ( rather than proof reading my posts) ; as i am going to put you on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by UJJWALDEY8165
    I read that as laziness - or not willing to do the job properly; rather than inability to do it

And no, I dont proof read every word I write here. If what I do write is difficult for you to follow, Murraymint, i suggest you put me on ignore ( rather than proof reading my posts) ; as i am going to put you on ignore.
    That's a bit harsh, it was only a difference of opinion and I did end my comment with a smilie.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Facebook? Secure?!?

Try: Youropenbook.org

Snoop away...... :lol:

TTPS

Very good point - I tend to avoid social networking sites, but even forums can yield 'useful' information to a prowler. It's a symptom (Sad one) of the times we live in the we have to think like this...

Agree1977 is right - it amazes me how many people can't be bothered to find things out for themselves. The flip side is that those of us who do make the effort can quickly become the "expert" in an obscure subject (and yes, I use the term expert cautiously)

they should have called it facilebook