closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT or Exp II

GMT or Exp II

I'm tempted by one of these. What are peoples experiences? Is there one I should go for over the other?

Re: GMT or Exp II

Depends on which model of each.

But if it is a choice then here is my list

1675 v 1655 - it's the ExpII

16750 v 16550 - it's the GMT - unless the ExpII is a cream dial

16710 v 16570 - ExpII every time - I wouldn't touch the GMTII's

116710 v 16570 - this choice comes down to price - ExpII's currently available for a lot less and if you don't like the new ceramic then the ExpII's the one for you. I'd have them even and if they were the same price then I'd be taking the GMTIIc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries

The GMT 2 is a far more versatile watch I'm my opinion. The moving bezel just gives an extra practicality.
    The explorer is less often seen though so perhaps a little less screamy on the wrist.

Master

I was initially after a GMTII in preference over the ExpII, but couldn't find one in budget. Now I have a late model ExpII on my wrist I'm pleased it worked out this way. The ExpII is a little less obviously Rolex, which I like, and seems to be a bit dressier with the brushed bezel and the way it catches the light. I also suspect the ExpII might be the "buy of the moment", with the new version due out later in the year and the associated price increases which will inflate the values of the current version. The same happened with the GMTII values once the GMTIIC came out...

Ant

I like them in equal measure. The white EXPII is a pleasant change to all the black dialled watches that I own. The stainless steel bezel definately gives the watch a robustness and toolish feel to it. I also feel it is a relative bargain at the moment.

Depends on your budget and your taste. For me it's Pepsi all the way.
    Gray

Both. If i had to choose....GMT Master. Red/Blue.

Grand Master

Had both, much preferred the explorer 2, i feel that it was just a triplock crown and a nice bracelet away from being almost perfect, the bezel is infinitely better than the tin can one on the GMT II, it looks nicer as well, and to be honest, a rotating bezel is only really useful if you're suddenly going to need to track two timezones, i didn't even need to track one :lol:

Now the GMT IIc is a little different, maxi dial, triplock, nice bracelet, but the bezel again is a little shiny for my liking, and it's priced well above what you'd pay for an explorer 2.

I have a 16750 and a 16550 - love them

Pays your money take your choice.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Lip smacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool walking, high talking, fast living, ever giving - PEPSI GMT

Although I'm having a bit of a "fling" with chronos at the moment (Type XX and Dayona) I know that I'll be coming back to my old plexi GMT.......... a classic!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Had both, much preferred the explorer 2, i feel that it was just a triplock crown and a nice bracelet away from being almost perfect, the bezel is infinitely better than the tin can one on the GMT II, it looks nicer as well, and to be honest, a rotating bezel is only really useful if you're suddenly going to need to track two timezones, i didn't even need to track one :lol:

Now the GMT IIc is a little different, maxi dial, triplock, nice bracelet, but the bezel again is a little shiny for my liking, and it's priced well above what you'd pay for an explorer 2.
    +1

Blog Entries

What's nice with ceramic is that it takes different colours depending on the lighting conditions.
    It goes from light grey to deep black which is great. I am also looking forward to how it is going to age!

The gmtcci is extremely comfortable despite the maxi case (not so maxi anymore..he he) and is very versatile.
    I never hesitate to bring it to the sea nor to the mountains and it definitively follows me during my evenings. Mine has been to +3500m and down to -10m and I have never had any issues.

The polished links will get scratches but with time will gently but surely give them a brushed finish.

Master

GMT every time for me.

Have no experience from either of the two. Regarding the looks, the GMT is much better, IMHO. Also, it is much more popular, from what I have read, so this must mean something.

I would go with GMT pepsi or GMT II Pepsi, no Explorer II and no Ceramic models.

Capt. Serdal

Craftsman

explorer II white for me

Journeyman

GMT or Exp II

I'm waiting for the new Exp II Orange hand to hit the ground... but the current White Dial would be my choice. White is very classy and stands out... and they're well priced at the moment compared to GMT's.

Craftsman

GMT ftw.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Master

Had the exact same dilemma. Came very close to a black faced ExpII, and still feel it's a beautiful watch.

For me however, in the final analysis, I opted for the GMTII because:

It's my one and only Rolex, and so I liked the "classic sports Rolex" look with the rotating bezel etc.

It's more versatile with the ability to change the bezel to different colours.

I felt that the ExpII looked a little small as the pale coloured s/s bezel "shrinks" the watch. Having said that, I love the "machined" quality to the brushed stainless against the black dial.

Here's mine. It came with a Pepsi bezel fitted and its original Coke bezel separately. I switched it back to the Coke because, whilst the Pepsi is iconic, for me it was just a touch "Fisher Price" with it's brighter colours, I prefer the more muted (but still adding a dash of colour) Coke.

This is how it looks now:

And this is how it looked before:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic

116710 v 16570 - this choice comes down to price - ExpII's currently available for a lot less and if you don't like the new ceramic then the ExpII's the one for you. I'd have them even and if they were the same price then I'd be taking the GMTIIc.

I'm curious, why wouldn't you touch a GMTII?

Quote Originally Posted by Ari

Far many of them about and offers nothing for me that the much rarer 16750 did for less money (now worth more!) So for me by a Master or skip a model and buy a Master II Ceramic.
    It's just a matter of time...

I know, I love the GMT, would only have an explorer second to it.

I bought an EXP II over GMT II.
    For 2 reasons, I don't like the 24hr bezel on the GMT II, the fixed bezel on the EXP II for me seems to flow better with the watch case
    And secondly, purely to add symmetry to my Rolexes. Although that was by chance, or subliminal.
    I now have a YM I , Sub-date with rotating bezels & EXP II, Daytona with fixed engraved bezels

gmt for ever :)

Buy an extra bracelet and insert and the GMT is almost like having 2 different watches.

funnily enough, i'm wrestling with this question at the moment.
    I have a GMTII, and always thought the Exp.II just lacked a little something. Now, and for no apparent reason, I keep seeing good photos of the Explorers and they seem tempting. Can you still pick them up in ADs? Not to buy of course (there's an SC for that!) just to try one on next to my GMT - anyone got any good piccies of the two in comparison?
    Although there is something to be said for the versatility of the GMT, as already mentioned. A couple of bezels, a NATO or two, and you've half a dozen watches in one.

Anyone know when they started fitting the Parachrom Bleu mainspring in the ExplorerII? I heard it was one of the earlier models to get it, but could have dreamt that :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by serdal22
    I would go with GMT pepsi or GMT II Pepsi, no Explorer II and no Ceramic models.

Capt. Serdal
    second that

That's a really nice piece mate. I think I'll probably end up trying both :mrgreen:

Had the exact same dilemma. Came very close to a black faced ExpII, and still feel it's a beautiful watch.

For me however, in the final analysis, I opted for the GMTII because:

It's my one and only Rolex, and so I liked the "classic sports Rolex" look with the rotating bezel etc.

It's more versatile with the ability to change the bezel to different colours.

I felt that the ExpII looked a little small as the pale coloured s/s bezel "shrinks" the watch. Having said that, I love the "machined" quality to the brushed stainless against the black dial.

Here's mine. It came with a Pepsi bezel fitted and its original Coke bezel separately. I switched it back to the Coke because, whilst the Pepsi is iconic, for me it was just a touch "Fisher Price" with it's brighter colours, I prefer the more muted (but still adding a dash of colour) Coke.

This is how it looks now:

And this is how it looked before:

I cant comment on an Explorer, however I picked up a Bi Metal GMT II on Sunday and I am very impressed. As a first Rolex I think It fits the bill.

I have been keeping an eye on used prices and have to say the Explorers do seem to be steadily increasing, having said that GMT II's seem to be the more desirable in most people eyes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists
    funnily enough, i'm wrestling with this question at the moment.
    I have a GMTII, and always thought the Exp.II just lacked a little something. Now, and for no apparent reason, I keep seeing good photos of the Explorers and they seem tempting. Can you still pick them up in ADs? Not to buy of course (there's an SC for that!) just to try one on next to my GMT - anyone got any good piccies of the two in comparison?
    Although there is something to be said for the versatility of the GMT, as already mentioned. A couple of bezels, a NATO or two, and you've half a dozen watches in one.

Anyone know when they started fitting the Parachrom Bleu mainspring in the ExplorerII? I heard it was one of the earlier models to get it, but could have dreamt that :lol:

I'm not sure about the ex2 but on the gmt2 17610 the new movement was fitted after 2007. The 3185 was used before an the new 3186 from 2007 until the GMT2C came out.

You tell on the GMT2 if it's the newer movement as it has II instead of the roman numerals.

GMT for me. 8)

I went for the GMT IIC, but it was either this or a Sea Dweller. Since then, a mate has got a brown faced Sub and am loving that (maybe more than mine).