closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Rolex dial change question

Master

Another Rolex dial change question

Hi all,

I love my 1967 or 1968 Oyster Perpetual Date to death, but never wear it for the simple reason that the metal hands only rarely emerge from the silver background of the dial enough for me to read the time at a glance.

I'll never sell it as it has great sentimental value. Prompted by a recent thread I've begun to think about changing the dial. Will Rolex do this? How much might it cost? Can anyone suggest a source of a classic black dial with metal batons? A quick google and look on fleabay yielded no perfect matches. And when buying one, is there anything I need to look out for (i.e. date and match to particular movement)?

Thanks!

Re: Another Rolex dial change question

Would have a look at the vintagerolexforum for such a dial. Rolex won't have any left.

Will cost about 100-150 GBP, change can do every watchmaker for about 20 GBP.

Putting a WTB on Vintage Rolex Forum is probably your best bet, as mentioned.

If you are in Brighton at any point then the new vintage Rolex shop in the lanes has loads of loose dials. Discussed here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167926&hilit=+Brighton

Master

Thanks all! Most helpful!

Had the same thing with an Air King Date, even struggled with me glasses on :bounce:

Suffice to say that the cost of a redial (and don't even think about the AD route) meant Bye Bye. Prepare yourself.

Master
    Good lord--I started this thread, and search, nearly seven years ago.

I never managed to find a dial--through the people in Brighton (kind of a nightmare), on the Rolex forum or on ebay. But this has now turned up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-OYS...oAAOSwItJaegrs

It's a lot of money, and I certainly don't need the very worn case. The dial looks to be the matt black version. I guess I should ask for a photo of the back of the dial to check the feet. But are there any opinions from the experts?

If it's got sentimental value and you change it in this way, is it still that same watch, with all sentiments in tact? I would think not personally... And then, if it were now a different watch anyway, would you be able to then part with it in a sale? I think it's a slippery slope modifying the memories away like this!

But, if you will never wear it unless you do this, then that would be unthinkable at the same time.

It's quite a bit of cash too, not a wise investment for your watch at all, will actually reduce its value realistically, but you say you would never come to sell it.

Sounds like you're not strapped for cash though so I say do it and wear it.

Grand Master
    Swapping to the black dial might not make it much easier to read.

Maybe you're better spending the money on glasses? I wouldn`t mess with the watch, simply accept that it's hard to read.

I have problems with some of mine, it's an age/ eyesight thing with me and possibly it's the same for you.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Swapping to the black dial might not make it much easier to read.
    True.

Personally, I'd be swapping out the handset instead of the dial if legibility was the main concern; it's simpler, cheaper and more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    True.

Personally, I'd be swapping out the handset instead of the dial if legibility was the main concern; it's simpler, cheaper and more effective.
    A Datejust like that would look good with Mercedes hands... be a shame to change the lovely grey dial.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 26th February 2018 at 18:02.

Craftsman
    I'd rather sell it and buy one with the dial you want.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    True.

Agree