closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the score with sales corner buying?

Master

What's the score with sales corner buying?

I wondered what the guidelines are in the following situation. Please note I am not having a go or trying to cause an argument; I'm just trying to clarify for myself.

Twice now, I have been the definite first to PM sellers about watches advertised on SC. I know I've been the first because the thread has literally just been posted in both cases.

So both times, I PMd the sellers to ask a question that wasn't really answered in the descriptions. I've then had a reply answering my question. I've then considered the deal over the next 2-5mins and in both cases asked for a discount... Nothing major but the answers to my questions both warrantied a discount in my view. Everyone asks me for a discount when I sell something on here so I don't see anything wrong with it either :)

I've then, in both cases, had a reply to say that a full price offer has been made and accepted via a pm that was received after my question was asked and replied to.

Now that's fine and I understand the seller wanting to attain the full value. However, is it not fairer for the seller to give the first interested party a chance to also offer full price if they decide to? Both times, a discount would have been nice but then again I would have considered full price if I would have been at least given the option.

Re: What's the score with sales corner buying?

No. The first person to offer the asking price entitled to make the purchase.

As I understand your post, you did not do that and someone else beat you to it.

Craftsman

I never ask for a discount and I use the PM it is quicker than the email ... simples

I don't really follow your point. If a seller accepts and confirms acceptance of an offer the deal is done. Until then it's for sale until a seller accepts and confirms acceptance of an offer and so on round the loop. You can ask questions, make offers and chat to a seller but until a seller accepts and confirms acceptance of an offer it's not even remotely your purchase :?
    Gray

Master

Quote Originally Posted by whoami

Well I guess I need to change my way of selling then as I always give someone the benefit of a chance to make a decision under similar circumstances. To me, the first person to email should get first choice but if that's wrong then no problem.

If someone is polite and generous enough to make a full price offer, they deserve the deal. If this has happened to you twice, I respectfully suggest that you need to stop trying to haggle so much.

Grand Master

It tends to always come down to accepting an offer, it's just unlucky that while you've put in a lower offer, someone has put in the full price offer. On another day you'll find that your offer might be the best, a bit like any auction or bidding process.

I tend to find that if it's a popular watch, that is at a good price it'll go quickly, you just do not have time to try and get the discount, but on other occasions you'll see a watch that's not shifting and putting in a lower offer will work a lot more effectively.

Master

Gosh. Point taken... I guess I just sell differently to you all. If I was selling something in reality and had a person asking me a question whilst someone else came up and offered me full price, I would ask the first person if they are interested at full price. If not, fine but if they were then I don't see any harm in giving them a chance.

To the person telling me not to haggle, that's fine, it's your opinion and I have no problem with that but does that mean everything on TZ sells for the price it's advertised at?

Anyway, thanks for the responses and I've cleared up how things work around here :)

Master

I think that the sellers may view it as potentially a "tyre kicker" versus a straight sale at the asking price. There is no universally accepted model of buyer and seller but I can see why someone would go with the straight offer. If it was someone I knew and trusted on the board who had contacted me first then I would probably hold on and tell them I had a full-price offer and let them have the first option at getting the watch/food processor/inlet manifold for a 1957 Yamabotsu 558ZR.

First 'I'll take' gets it for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    I think that the sellers may view it as potentially a "tyre kicker" versus a straight sale at the asking price. There is no universally accepted model of buyer and seller but I can see why someone would go with the straight offer. If it was someone I knew and trusted on the board who had contacted me first then I would probably hold on and tell them I had a full-price offer and let them have the first option at getting the watch/food processor/inlet manifold for a 1957 Yamabotsu 558ZR.
    Yes I can understand that and it's a good way of putting things.

However, in the first case, my question was about condition and the watch had a load of scratches that weren't mentioned in the thread. I asked for a discount so I could get it polished.

The second time was from a guy who literally lives 10mins from me. He would have had to pay postage costs etc but if he'd dealt with me, he could have had the cash that day within a few hours.

So I wasn't being a tyre kicker, just trying to attain a deal that I thought reasonable under both sets of circumstances. I wasn't looking to get 50% off either :-D Just a small amount to sweeten the deal.

Craftsman

Personally nothing annoys me more than someone trying to justify a discount :lol: I would have passed you over as well :lol:

Banned

Maybe third time lucky OP?

You bid and you take the chance of acceptance or losing the item. No biggy for bidder or seller.

If your price was fair 'to you' then missing it should be a chip off the old block. If you were trying it on, you'd be kicking yourself and posting about the subject on Watch Talk :wink:

Grand Master

With most sales, you're looking for the easiest deal going, to sit on a full offer, whilst going to the first bidder to ask if he wants to pay full price just causes more problems, not to mention how does that first bidder know he's not getting played, what happens if he doesn't reply for a day, then the first full offer guy disappears, then you have to do the whole thing again, you could cause a lot of animosity and wasting of time when you have exactly what you're after, it just seems to be wasting your time, and others.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Maybe third time lucky OP?

You bid and you take the chance of acceptance or losing the item. No biggy for bidder or seller.

If your price was fair 'to you' then missing it should be a chip off the old block. If you were trying it on, you'd be kicking yourself and posting about the subject on Watch Talk :wink:
    Believe me, I am not kicking myself?! It's a watch... Obviously I would have liked it but this thread, as stated, was to attain how things officially/unofficially work on here.

I understand this now so my questions have been answered. Thanks.

Kicking myself lol.

Banned

Personally, if I feel that the watch is worth the price then I pay it. If I ask a question then I'd make an offer of the full asking on the basis that I'm happy with the answer. In the example you've given, you wanted a discount because of some scratches, if the price of the watch wasn't worth it with the scratches then there's no problem surely?

If someone asks questions without making a conditional offer, then it's fair game.

There is an obvious risk when asking for discount.

Someone might offer the asking price.

Same with ebay listings that have a "buy-it-now" and "make-offer" options.

I think courtesy comes in if more than one offers to buy the watch at the same price. Then it should be first come first serve.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    Now that's fine and I understand the seller wanting to attain the full value. However, is it not fairer for the seller to give the first interested party a chance to also offer full price if they decide to? Both times, a discount would have been nice but then again I would have considered full price if I would have been at least given the option.
    You had a chance to offer full price and chose not to.

Master

Think back to when you were selling a SuperOcean II...

If you really really want the watch, (which you probably did, hence this thread), trying to haggle off a few quid can be counter productive. I find if its overpriced, and therefore right for making an offer on, the watch doesn't sell quickly. Well priced watches on here can go in seconds, so if you want it, you need to be quick and offer the right price.

Personally, I'm happy to make and accept offers, but if someone makes me an offer, and someone else offers full price, I know which deal I am going to choose to do 9 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami

This. The first response you got summed it up perfectly.

Also, imo, the seller has the right to sell his belongings to whomever he wants.

Master

First person to make an acceptable offer wins as far as I'm concerned. I'd accept that both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    First person to make an acceptable offer wins as far as I'm concerned. I'd accept that both ways.
    +1

Master

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    We did have this question a couple of months ago. It's up to the seller of course, but to my mind the fair thing to do is to do the deal with the first person who offers the actual asking price.

I learnt the hard way if you really want the watch, and it's fresh on SC, then pay the asking price. I PM'd on a beautiful piece - expensive for what it was - but in fantastic condition. I thought I would ask for a small percentage off, after all if you don't ask you don't get. In this case I did ask and didn't get as the seller PM'd me back saying he was holding out for the full price. I PM'd straight back saying "oh go on then I'll have it" and got the reply sorry it's just gone. This was in the space of about 2 minutes!
    Now, if I want a watch and it's has been hanging around SC for a couple of days I'll make an offer, if it's fresh up I'll pay the asking price. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    I learnt the hard way if you really want the watch, and it's fresh on SC, then pay the asking price. I PM'd on a beautiful piece - expensive for what it was - but in fantastic condition. I thought I would ask for a small percentage off, after all if you don't ask you don't get. In this case I did ask and didn't get as the seller PM'd me back saying he was holding out for the full price. I PM'd straight back saying "oh go on then I'll have it" and got the reply sorry it's just gone. This was in the space of about 2 minutes!
    Now, if I want a watch and it's has been hanging around SC for a couple of days I'll make an offer, if it's fresh up I'll pay the asking price. :thumbup:
    Have to agree. Every watch I make an offer for is a calculated risk - I know I'm taking a chance that it'll go.

Having said that, I do understand the point of your question. If someone I know well makes an offer on one of my sales, I'll almost always give him the option of paying full/a higher price before I accept a subsequent offer at that figure.

Master

It has happened to me at both ends of a deal but when I sell stuff, it depends on how much I am loosing (generally) on the watch.
    If I have priced the watch fairly cheap, I would accept the full asking price above any other offers but if I am making any profit at all, I tend to be more flexible.

I'm a bit green when it comes to this malarky but If I wanted the watch,I'd pay what the seller asked because these watches don't hang around for long.As they say...money talks!

Master

The first PM to confirm "I'll take it." in my view.

As an aside, I've occasionally been frustrated when trying to buy a watch when I've asked simple questions that the seller couldn't be bothered to answer. Thankfully a minority and I suppose it's been a helpful indicator to know who I don't want to deal with in the future. Pleased to say that the majority of sellers I've encountered go out of their way to be helpful.

Another vote for "first person to offer full asking price gets it" here.

On the flip side, I've lost count of the number of times I've agreed deals with people on pieces I've been selling on here, only then to receive a full price offer 5 mins after the deal has been agreed. Frustrating, but obviously if you've agreed a deal you stick to it.

However as a result, I tend to have little sympathy for people who haggle on what I know is a well-priced watch - you snooze, you lose :wink:

If the law of the UK is as where I live it's simple.

1. the advertisement of the watch for sale is just information, not a binding offer by the seller

2. people may respond to the ad by offering to buy the watch, at whatever price they seem fit

3. the seller may choose to accept any one of the offers to buy the watch he or she wants

4. when the seller responds to the chosen buyer and tells him or she that he accepts the offer to buy, the deal is legal.

Of course this all requires that the description is correct (and 1000 other parameters), but if the description is lacking, for example bad photos and no condition description, the buyer can only blame himself. With a small and hard to reach exception that the price was totally wrong given the condition of the item - but this exception is hard to win with in court - as it should.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Excellent buyers perspective!
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    +1.

although, to the OP, I don't see anything wrong in making an offer on a perspective purchase. I mean SC is not an AD where the price you see is the price you pay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yeth
    +1.

although, to the OP, I don't see anything wrong in making an offer on a perspective purchase. I mean SC is not an AD where the price you see is the price you pay.
    Not in my book! Knowing the grotesque markup that AD's put on watches, I would never pay ticket price/RRP. If AD's will not negotiate then I walk, as simple as that! AD's need sales more than I need new watches. :twisted:

Re selling, it is fine to make realistic offers and ask realistic questions, nothing wrong with that. BUT, doing so runs the risk of you being pipped by the guy who says "I'll take it at asking". End of the day though, Fjankxbug Lamsinuffgrot with a feedback of '0' says he will buy it at asking (thankee) and do I accept Western Union, I know who is not bloody getting it! 8)

Master

Succinctly put Village.

Don't you just love Flow Charts.

scooter

Journeyman

I think if I had someone asking legitimate questions, and then someone came along and offered full price, then I'd let the original customer know I'd been offered full price. If he then offered full price I'd sell to him. Obviously this relies on an element of trust for the seller to not just claim he has a full price offer.

these days im, the same with most guys first guy nearest or on the asking gets it plain and simple

if you havbe a guy itnerested but still dilly dallying and yet recive a full asking offer to buy

off course you are not gonna wait for the one asking the questions to come back

as theres still no guranteee they will buy in the first place

just my 2 c worth

have a great sunday everyone

Al

I have tried in the past to haggle on price for watches in SC. In my experiance sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. However, if you haggle you do risk missing out on the watch if someone else beats you too it with a full price offer.

Usually I find the deals offered on SC are fair at the asking price anyway as they are offered for sale from watch mad individuals like me who want to pass the watch on at a fair asking price.

Personally I have learnt to be quick. If you want it, PM and buy it. Otherwise you tend to miss out.

Seller's perogative I'd say, I don't think that you could put a hard and fast rule on it.

When I'm selling there's always the odd person that will ask a few questions, come back and ask a few more then nothing. I'm selling a watch and the first person that says he will take it then its theirs.

To many time wasters about, just because someone taking a little interest doesn't mean there going to buy.

Blog Entries

Is this really a thread.... :roll:

Simple fact is, if the bid is acceptable and the seller wants to sell to you (ie you haven't called him a cock in a recent thread - not that I'm saying you had/ or ever have) you get it, however it's entirely up to the seller whom he or she wants to sell it too. Simples

phew what a can of worm's you opened up. for what it's worth i agree on if you snooze you lose!!

Hi

As far as I'm conerned , it's the 1st acceptable & firm offer that gets it....problem I'm having on SC at the moment is no bugger offering :lol:

cheers Neil

This is the reason I hate the system of 'behind the scenes' dealing by PM that seems to be the norm on TZUK.

On all the other forums I frequent the first to post 'I'll take it' in the sales thread get the item.
    Offers and questions can be dealt with by PM (but don't act as 'place holders') If you strike a deal then you post 'I'll take it as per our PMs' in the sales thread.

Very simple and avoids all problems or disputes.

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    This is the reason I hate the system of 'behind the scenes' dealing by PM that seems to be the norm on TZUK.

On all the other forums I frequent the first to post 'I'll take it' in the sales thread get the item.Offers and questions can be dealt with by PM (but don't act as 'place holders') If you strike a deal then you post 'I'll take it as per our PMs' in the sales thread.

I don't see how that can work, for example:

Someone posts - "I'll take it"

Seller posts - " Sorry, I sold it via PM" "Sorry, I sold it on another forum" "Sorry, I sold it down the pub" "Sorry, I hate you" "Sorry, I don't post to your noddy country" "Sorry, etc..."

There isn't anybody that can make the decision something is sold but the seller and I can't see forum moderation sorting it out as it's a private matter :scratch:

Sounds a bit bonkers to me
    Gray

On all the other forums I frequent the first to post 'I'll take it' in the sales thread get the item.Offers and questions can be dealt with by PM (but don't act as 'place holders') If you strike a deal then you post 'I'll take it as per our PMs' in the sales thread.

Seller posts - " Sorry, I sold it via PM" "Sorry, I sold it on another forum" "Sorry, I sold it down the pub" "Sorry, I hate you" "Sorry, I don't post to your noddy country" "Sorry, etc..."

There isn't anybody that can make the decision something is sold but the seller and I can't see forum moderation sorting it out as it's a private matter :scratch:

Well you are missing the whole point, you can't buy it by PM, you have to post in the thread!!! and if the seller sell 'down the pub' he marks the add 'sold' Simples!

Works on the majority of forums just fine.

Seller posts - " Sorry, I sold it via [s:dt25i4i5]PM[/s:dt25i4i5] email" "Sorry, I sold it on another forum" "Sorry, I sold it down the pub" "Sorry, I hate you" "Sorry, I don't post to your noddy country" "Sorry, etc..."

Well you are missing the whole point, you can't buy it by PM, you have to post in the thread!!! and if the seller sell 'down the pub' he marks the add 'sold' Simples!

Fixed that :wink:

SC works just fine here, this thread is more about user malfunction :lol:
    Gray

Seller posts - " Sorry, I sold it via [s:1xv749fk]PM[/s:1xv749fk] email" "Sorry, I sold it on another forum" "Sorry, I sold it down the pub" "Sorry, I hate you" "Sorry, I don't post to your noddy country" "Sorry, etc..."

Fixed that :wink:

SC works just fine here, this thread is more about user malfunction :lol:
    You are still totally missing the point, I'll try once more, the buyer has to post in the sales thread :roll:

Yes SC works fine but it's still very frustrating (compared to other forums) when you post 'I'll take it' only to find it's been sold by a 'behind the scenes' PM deal. The method used on most other forums is simpler and has less chance of misunderstanding or conflict.

You are still totally missing the point, I'll try once more, the buyer has to post in the sales thread :roll:

No they don't. They have to agree a deal with the seller by whatever means they want. The seller decides when it's sold.

I've seen plenty of stuff sold without a single post in the sales thread.