closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Credor fans or owners for that matter?

Master

Any Credor fans or owners for that matter?

I have just spotted this on Higuchi's website and it's at a reasonable price if Credor are all that they are cracked up to be. I just wondered if any of you had any opinions and or thoughts on this model or Credor as a whole? I really like it and it works out at about £1400 before import.

Re: Any Credor fans or owners for that matter?

Stunning. Credor is meant to be Seiko's premier line, is it not?

Very nice 8)

Is it powered by some kind of thermo-compensated quartz? AFAIK mechanical Credors are a lot more expensive than £1400.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Very nice 8)

Is it powered by some kind of thermo-compensated quartz? AFAIK mechanical Credors are a lot more expensive than £1400.
    This one is definitely a mechanical and Higuchi is asking 188,000 Yen incl shipping and it's 262,500 list.

Not bad and bloody gorgeous and yes, I thought Credor was the top end Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by stix

Gorgeous indeed. Go for it. Pull the trigger :D

Very cool. Don't Citizen have a high-end alternative? Campanola I think it's called.

EDIT: Campanola still have Citizen on the dial, not the same at all!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG

Gorgeous indeed. Go for it. Pull the trigger :D
    :D I think I'll keep teasing myself about it for now..........

What movement is it? I can't find a pic of it anywhere.

Master

Had a chance last year to have a look at these in Japan. This model is particularly very nice and understated. Not like some of the more fashion Credors. Same as on all Grand Seiko their movements have a wonderful finish to them. One can expect to get a 20-25% discount on list price in Japan which makes them ok value. Looking at that particular model the movement, 4L75A is of very thin construction and design related to the Grand Seiko 9S55. But compared to the Grand Seiko it is only regulated to +10/-15 seconds per day.
    But...... lately since my watch-making skills have been progressing little by little I have become more critical. While the movements are well designed and put together Seiko has kept them rather simple. All the Grand Seiko and Credor movements are of regulated balance type and for the money that the top end Credors and Grand Seiko now cost I would like to see a free sprung balance for long term accuracy. While Grand Seiko probably have some of the best regulated movements off the shelf, a free sprung balance helps to keep it that way long term.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    Had a chance last year to have a look at these in Japan. This model is particularly very nice and understated. Not like some of the more fashion Credors. Same as on all Grand Seiko their movements have a wonderful finish to them. One can expect to get a 20-25% discount on list price in Japan which makes them ok value. Looking at that particular model the movement, 4L75A is of very thin construction and design related to the Grand Seiko 9S55. But compared to the Grand Seiko it is only regulated to +10/-15 seconds per day.
    But...... lately since my watch-making skills have been progressing little by little I have become more critical. While the movements are well designed and put together Seiko has kept them rather simple. All the Grand Seiko and Credor movements are of regulated balance type and for the money that the top end Credors and Grand Seiko now cost I would like to see a free sprung balance for long term accuracy. While Grand Seiko probably have some of the best regulated movements off the shelf, a free sprung balance helps to keep it that way long term.
    Thanks for your feedback but can you explain a little about the "free sprung balance"?

...... and yes, I thought Credor was the top end Seiko.
    I wouldn't class Credor higher that Grand Seiko. I'd say that Grand Seiko is the main line with Credor branching off and often sharing movements with GS.

The tint of the blue of the hands (in the pic above) is gorgeous.

.........While the movements are well designed and put together Seiko has kept them rather simple. All the Grand Seiko and Credor movements are of regulated balance type and for the money that the top end Credors and Grand Seiko now cost I would like to see a free sprung balance for long term accuracy. While Grand Seiko probably have some of the best regulated movements off the shelf, a free sprung balance helps to keep it that way long term.
    Well said.

john
    Every watch a story.

Master

Thanks for your feedback but can you explain a little about the "free sprung balance"?
    Sorted thanks after reading the following:

http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forum ... 7501/s--8/

The trouble with some Jap stuff is that is sometimes difficult to quantify using their names only. You have to look at the case materials and what is inside.

They used to make cheap quartz Credors. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sorted thanks after reading the following:

http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forum ... 7501/s--8/
    I think that's the type of balance that a backward old firm called Rolex have used for quite a while? :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    The trouble with some Jap stuff is that is sometimes difficult to quantify using their names only. You have to look at the case materials and what is inside.

They used to make cheap quartz Credors. :wink:
    Yes they did. Really cheap stuff that was being sold from Indian clothes shops.

john
    Every watch a story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    ...... and yes, I thought Credor was the top end Seiko.
    I wouldn't class Credor higher that Grand Seiko. I'd say that Grand Seiko is the main line with Credor branching off and often sharing movements with GS.
    As I understand it, the Grand Seiko line was launched as a swansong to the (as they then believed) 'outgoing' mechanical watch movements to showcase the real talent of Seiko as a watchmaker equal to the best Swiss watchmakers. Credor was started as a company intially to showcase their talents with the 'new' quartz technology. Since then, both marques have digressed to include watches with both types of movement. So far as I know, Credor have never made 'cheap quartz watches' to quote another poster on this thread. For some obscure reason, I (a hairy-arsed bloke) bought a ladies Credor with a quartz movement that was produced between 1985 and 1992. It is finished in steel and 22ct gold plate but, is absolutely exquisite in its detail (it's a very small watch). I emailed Seiko Sonnerie and asked them about the watch and evidently, it retailed in 1985 for 240,000 yen (mind you, I don't think I'll hang on to it for long as I've since realised what a silly purchase it was for a hairy-arsed bloke).

Recently, Credor has been earmarked as their top brand and it is now possible to buy their Credor Spring Drive for 15,000,000 yen (plus taxes and relevant import duty etc). I think I'll pass :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    So far as I know, Credor have never made 'cheap quartz watches' to quote another poster on this thread.
    Shows what you know. :P

They did and I have seen them.

If you want to know more I suggest you get in touch with PeteW the acknowledged expert on all things Seiko who runs GMT+9.

Tell him Neil sent you. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

So far as I know, Credor have never made 'cheap quartz watches' to quote another poster on this thread.

If you want to know more I suggest you get in touch with PeteW the acknowledged expert on all things Seiko who runs GMT+9.

I do confess that I certainly don't know everything and am always willing to learn but, I think there are elements of truth in my post(?).

I do confess that I certainly don't know everything and am always willing to learn but, I think there are elements of truth in my post(?).
    Elements...... certainly. :lol:

Don't worry mate I am only ribbing you. :wink:

I am of course right re the cheap Credors though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

[quote=Neil.C]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":lyovdmk5

Elements...... certainly. :lol:

Don't worry mate I am only ribbing you. :wink:

I am of course right re the cheap Credors though.[/quote:lyovdmk5]
    I saw your thread from watchuseek that you started asking if there had ever been any cheap Credors when you found the example you were originally unsure of and it seems that some of those that commented said there were some 'cheap-looking quartzes' during their history which isn't necessarily quite the same thing. Unless of course you mean cheap compared to the ridiculous price of the Credor Spring Drive. This is the ladies watch I found from 1985-1992.

I emailed Seiko Sonnerie to ask about its history. It carries a 2F-70 quartz movement and is finished in steel and 22K gold plate (I never understood why they would use 22k for plate but, there you go). It retailed in 1985 at 240,000 yen (about £1700). Lord knows why I bought it but, the finish is beautiful close-up. I think I should sell it as I'll obviously never be wearing a girl's watch. Luckily, as nobody seems to know an awful lot about them except for WISs, the earlier models can be had relatively cheaply or even for the throwaway £20 that you were offered a watch for. Personally, I think you should have bought it :)t

You wouldn't have liked the cheap Credor I found.

Thin gold plating and a nondescript quartz movement.

It was a Credor alright though with the logo and name which is the reason I originally enquired about it.

It was just a name that Seiko used and then went upmarket with it later.

Pete put me right and I have never met anyone more knowledgeable when it comes to all things Seiko.

Actually WISes are the best people to ask about Seikos as their own knowledge of their own history can be somewhat patchy.

According to Seiko this signature model that was mine didn't exist. :wink:

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Seiko galaxy had a similar looking logo to credor.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    Only a few Galaxys had that symbol IIRC Karl and while I agree it is very similar to Credor the one I am talking about was marked Credor on the dial.

I can see why people get confused with Seiko history. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    Only a few Galaxys had that symbol IIRC Karl and while I agree it is very similar to Credor the one I am talking about was marked Credor on the dial.

I can see why people get confused with Seiko history. :lol:
    :study: :geek: :lol:

Lasalle was just a strange collaboration with an American case manufacturer.

People around here might also confuse the medium-cost Seiko Majesta line with the higher-end Seiko Credor - the M from the first looks similar but NOT identical !!!

I bought this for the wife (although she is wearing nowadays my Explorer1). Not sure how expensive this was originally but at least it has a superquartz movement....

That credor hand wound is very nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin

People around here might also confuse the medium-cost Seiko Majesta line with the higher-end Seiko Credor - the M from the first looks similar but NOT identical !!!
    I'm afraid you are wrong there regarding Lassale being American.

Please read my earlier treatise to enlighten yourself. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=140421&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Se iko+Lassale
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Yes, it could be possible that the company might have been registered at some point (for tax reasons) in Switzerland - but I don't think I have seen any Lassale (from the 70s or 80s) sold outside US. And I certainly doubt the part where Piaget (which was one of the very few in-house makers of thin calibers) acquired something from a company which I believe was without any caliber manufacturing capabilities. :twisted:

Anyway, that is beside the point - we were talking Credor :roll:

Yes, it could be possible that the company might have been registered at some point (for tax reasons) in Switzerland - but I don't think I have seen any Lassale (from the 70s or 80s) sold outside US.
    Incorrect.

If you know anything about horological history I'm surprised you don't know Jean Lassale was a well known Swiss maker famous for its ultra thin watches and movements and nothing to do with the US.

And I certainly doubt the part where Piaget (which was one of the very few in-house makers of thin calibers) acquired something from a company which I believe was without any caliber manufacturing capabilities. :twisted:
    Here's the wiki entry about that very thing...

"In Septembre 79, Bouchet-Lassale SA met some financial difficulties, and the production was stopped. In December of the same year, Claude Burkhalter, then the director of Lemania-Lugrin SA, declares during an internal meeting that « Omega has the possibility to buy the Jean Lassale brand ». But Jean Lassale is bought by Seiko, while the technical documents and the patents are bought by Claude Burkhalter, at the same time as he creates the company « Nouvelle Lemania SA ». Founded in 1982, this company will continue the activities of Lemania-Lugrin SA, and it will produce from the beginning the successors of the calibers 1200 and 2000 : the calibers 1210 and 2010 Lemania. Those calibers will be sold exclusively to Piaget SA, as long as this company will stay independent. When Piaget went under the control of Cartier, this exclusivity was released, and Nouvelle Lemania SA could then sell the calibers to different watch companies, among them Vacheron Constantin."

Which is essentially what I wrote in my previous thread.

The whole story of Jean Lassalle can be found here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Lassale
    Cheers,
    Neil.