closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sheffield Steel - Bicycle related

Sheffield Steel - Bicycle related

Given there are a fair few cyclists on here I though I'd put up some pics of my new bicycle. It uses a Reynolds 531 steel frame made by JF Wilson Cycles, Sheffield.

Ben

Master
    Nice. Would look (and be) so much better with (at least) Chorus on board... ;)

Re: Sheffield Steel - Bicycle related

Stunning, and I thought my Orbea was nice....

Craftsman

I must admit I do prefer the look of a traditional non compact steel frame to the bulked up look of an aluminium or carbon fibre.

I still use an 1992 Orbit America with a nice spearpoint lugged frame in Reynolds 531C, unfortunately it has a 90's sparkly paint job in blue an silver, not quite as nice as the more traditional look of yours.

Don't you have a few spokes missing? :lol:

regards
    grant

Quote Originally Posted by GRK

regards
    grant
    I must admit, that's exactly what I thought......

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon

regards
    grant
    I must admit, that's exactly what I thought......
    16 spokes at the front and 20 in the rear. Maybe not the best for the terrible quality roads in Sheffield!

Ben

Master

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Nice. Would look (and be) so much better with (at least) Chorus on board... ;)
    perhaps he does not want clunking great gear changes , maybe he is the smooth silent type ?

I think it looks great - the steel frame with a modern groupset to bring it bang up to date.. The head tube and spacers make it look very large, what size is it and how tall are you ?

Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon
    I think it looks great - the steel frame with a modern groupset to bring it bang up to date.. The head tube and spacers make it look very large, what size is it and how tall are you ?
    I can't be certain, but I think the frame is 23" or 23.5". I am approx 6 foot 1.5", but with quite long limbs.

Ben

Master

ah - thought it looked like a large size.. Does look very nice indeed - hope it serves you well :)

That's a very pretty bike. There is definitely something about a skinny steel framed road bike

Master
    [P]erhaps he does not want [s:2ic7mdro]clunking[/s:2ic7mdro] great gear changes.
    Fixed that for you. ;)

I'll get my coat.

Great to see a new handbuilt steel frame. Not heard of this shop - did they actually braze it up, or did they use another established frame maker and add their own decals? Either way, top choice, I still ride my 531 Pro race frame from 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb
    That's a very pretty bike. There is definitely something about a skinny steel framed road bike
    Agreed, quill stem man myself, but that's still a lovely bike.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist
    Great to see a new handbuilt steel frame. Not heard of this shop - did they actually braze it up, or did they use another established frame maker and add their own decals? Either way, top choice, I still ride my 531 Pro race frame from 25 years ago.
    Nigel Wilson does all the brazing himself. He hadn't been using Reynolds 531 for a while (he was using some of the later greades, as they no longer made 531) until I approached him. The shop has been going since 1948, so Reynolds agreed to supply him with some. I think that 531 is back in production for bikes like the Pashley Guv'nor. Here is something I put together on Reynolds 531 tubing:
    http://yorkshireferret.blogspot.com/...nolds-531.html

Ben

Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by joepotts7
    I can't be certain, but I think the frame is 33" or 33.5". I am approx 6 foot 1.5", but with quite long limbs.

Ben

You're 6 ft 1.5 and you have a 33 inch frame!? :shock: Centre to centre? :shock: And yet you still have 3ft of seatpost showing and all those spacers!? :shock:

I use a 22.5 inch frame and I'm a long legged 6ft :)

Looking at the geometry 33 inches HAS to be a typo!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Looking at the geometry 33 inches HAS to be a typo!! :lol:
    Yes, sorry it is 23".

Thomas Reid

I must admit I do prefer the look of a traditional non compact steel frame to the bulked up look of an aluminium or carbon fibre.

I still use an 1992 Orbit America with a nice spearpoint lugged frame in Reynolds 531C, unfortunately it has a 90's sparkly paint job in blue an silver, not quite as nice as the more traditional look of yours.

regards
    grant
    I still use a 1979 Rodriquez (R&E Cycles Seattle) 531 frame. Although, it now has carbon fibre forks, one of the tubes has been replaced (725 or 631, I think), it has been stripped and repainted about 6 times, and it doesn't have any of the original components. (Is it still the same bicycle? My students' views diverge on this :) .)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS My second bicycle is also Sheffield Steel.
    RLF

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I still use a 1979 Rodriquez (R&E Cycles Seattle) 531 frame. Although, it now has carbon fibre forks, one of the tubes has been replaced (725 or 631, I think), it has been stripped and repainted about 6 times, and it doesn't have any of the original components. (Is it still the same bicycle? My students' views diverge on this :) .)
    It's what I'd call trigger's broom :P

Great looking bike, is the shop on City Road still open?