closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Starting road cycling - advice please!

Starting road cycling - advice please!

I know there's a fair few experienced and knowledgeable cyclists amongst our community, so I'd appreciate tapping into that, if I may!

After years of struggling on the road with low-geared, knobbly-tyred mountain bikes, sense has prevailed and I've decided to buy a more appropriate road sports bike, and initially I'm budgeting around £500.00-£600.00 to get me started,

I realise that sort of money won't get me very far in terms of quality machinery in the cycle world, but I'm dipping my toe in the water here to see how I get on, then hopefully progress from there - possibly liken it to buying a Getat PAM homage to see if I should splash out on the real thing!

Now, I can trot off to 'CycleSuperMegaDiscountStore' and but a perfectly adequate British, mass-produced, tubular-framed Viking bike with reasonable ancillaries (discounted to £400.00 from £550.00) and have some dosh left over to upgrade a few bits/buy cycle gear, etc.... or, I can pay a visit to 'BicycleBoffinExpert' and invest £600.00 in a lovely hand-crafted, part box section, beautifully welded, entry level Specialized, with much the same ancillaries as the Viking.

Now, my instinct with most things is to buy the best I can afford at the time, but the question is - at my beginner's level, is it worth going straight for the Specialized which might well see me into phase two of my cycling progression, or just start out with the Viking and look to upgrade fairly soon into the higher end bracket, with a much more realistic budget?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Re: Starting road cycling - advice please!

Two equally valid answers.

1. Get the one that fits best
    2. Get the one that looks best

I'd be getting the specialized or upping my budget to the £1k mark where ther retailers make a huge effort to get within the cycle to work limit.

With road cycling you don't need a better bike as you get better. It's 98% you, 2% the bike. A good rider would whip you if he was on a 30 year old 10 speed racer and you were on a Pinarello Dogma. That said, I'd buy a quality bike. Best buy is a secondhand bike where that sort of money will get you a £1000 bike that somebody bought and rode about 6 times.

Grand Master

I ride Specialized exclusively and dont think youll get a better bang for buck, plus residuals are favourable also. Which ever bike you chose it will be fine, you dont need to spend a fortune but be prepared to accept that you get what you pay for and you will need to spend £600 - £1000 to have a substantial and capable machine which will be a pleasant ride and not fall apart and drive you mad in months.

Used is a very good option, I find most of the ones on ebay have been purchased by rich business types desperate to escape the office and think they will be Lance Armstrong in all the new lycra, 2-3 rides, one very sore arse and legs later and it sits in the garage till its sold a year later so nothing wrong with it. Also dont judge the age or prediucted milage for example, I ride for about an hour a day average over the year, I do so on 2-3 bikes, I ride hard and easy, but I also make sure the machine is finely tuned and serviced to death, another chap might ride twice a week very badly and never clean or service the bike!

Bit of a minefield but at least your thinking about getting out there, one less car is always welcome
    RIAC

Master

In your price range stick to Giant, Trek or Specialized, that bike should be good for a couple of years till you want something a little more exotic, then relegate the the old one to winter duties :wink:

Master

I was in exactly your position last year. I bought a Specialized Allez, which being the previous year's model, cost me £450 new. In fact it looks like you can still get the 2010 model for £450.

It performs perfectly, and will hold a decent amount of its value when you upgrade.

Pete

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    I was in exactly your position last year. I bought a Specialized Allez, which being the previous year's model, cost me £450 new. In fact it looks like you can still get the 2010 model for £450.

It performs perfectly, and will hold a decent amount of its value when you upgrade.

Pete
    For what its worth I dont go any faster on a £4500 Tarmac SL3 than I do on a Allez, but I would cry more if I dropped the Tarmac!
    RIAC

I recently bought a Specialized Cirrus. Roughly speaking, it's a road bike with flat bars. It's nicely put together, and all the controls work smoothly. It's a huge amount better than my 20 year old Raleigh 'mountain' bike, but by heavens it's a bone shaker. I suspect that's largely down to the 'Armadillo' tyres it came with. They are supposedly puncture resistant, which is nice, but it would also be nice to finish a ride with some of my fillings left. Apart from the tyres, the pedals are pretty crappy, but I understand that it's normal to get crap pedals (or none at all). I bought (in-store) from Evans Cycles at Lakeside, and was very impressed with the service and staff.

Anyway, I'd say it's worth spending a little more to get a recognized brand.

Magirus will be along shortly to recommend Kona bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey

Pete
    For what its worth I dont go any faster on a £4500 Tarmac SL3 than I do on a Allez, but I would cry more if I dropped the Tarmac!
    This is so true lol. My £1500 carbon bike (Focus) is no faster than my £400 titanium Dyna Tech that I bought 15 years ago. Well, it probably is, but you'd need a fine stopwatch to tell the difference. I also set my fastest time up Alpe D'Huez on the £400 bike, beating a friend on his £4000 Lance Armstrong replica :D

Second hand all the way, go and look at it before you buy tho!

I bought an Orbea Aqua from ebay, 8 months old and its mint!

Many thanks guys, lots of food for thought there!

Cycle to Work Scheme is a useful reminder, and checking out second-hand, or new last year's models are great tips. Interesting as to what's said about bike performance against your performance, regardless of the spec and cycle value! I'm really only hoping for a bit of extra mileage capability rather than outright speed and performance, but I've no doubt that'll be creeping up on my future agenda!

I think you're all correct, that I should stick to the better proven brands, perhaps upping my budget a bit, and secretly I guess that's what I wanted to be told. I've been advised that having carbon forks might be worth looking out for as they provide a modicum of suspension at the front - would that be important? Also, from what I've seen, 16-speed Shimano gears appear to be fairly standard at that price point - is that an adequate setup?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    I also set my fastest time up Alpe D'Huez on the £400 bike, beating a friend on his £4000 Lance Armstrong replica :D
    Was driving up the 21 bends the other year (on the way to do the megavalanche :wink: ), a road race was on at the same time, and I noticed one of the riders only had one leg and he wasn't going exactly slow either, respect due i'd say!

Can't really offer much advise (as i'm an mtb'er), other than get a mountainbike and ride it offroad, it's better :lol:

Ok then on a more serious note, get what fits you best. The correct fit on a road bike is very important more so than on an mtb... Also go second hand to get the best spec for your money, but make sure you have a ride on it before buying it :)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal
    Can't really offer much advise (as i'm an mtb'er), other than get a mountainbike and ride it offroad, it's better :lol:
    Bearing in mind the state of the roads round my way, a full suspension MTB might not be such a bad idea :D

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    I also set my fastest time up Alpe D'Huez on the £400 bike, beating a friend on his £4000 Lance Armstrong replica :D
    Was driving up the 21 bends the other year (on the way to do the megavalanche :wink: ), a road race was on at the same time, and I noticed one of the riders only had one leg and he wasn't going exactly slow either, respect due i'd say!
    Getting O/T here, but that would have been the Marmotte and that bloke has only one leg and one arm, he's a legend. 108 miles in a day, 5000m of ascent, 4 mountains, one arm, one leg :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull
    I've been advised that having carbon forks might be worth looking out for as they provide a modicum of suspension at the front - would that be important? Also, from what I've seen, 16-speed Shimano gears appear to be fairly standard at that price point - is that an adequate setup?
    Most of the bikes at your price point should have carbon forks and either 18 speed Sora/Tiagra, they work fine, don't settle for anything less!

Craftsman

Buying second hand is a great option if you are comfortable assessing a bikes condition - check in particular for any damage if the frame or forks are carbon. If it was me with this budget I'd be looking at all the local bike shops within easy distance to see if there is any older stock that fits you. Good luck in your search, you won't regret taking up road cycling I'm sure. The optimum gearing set up (8 speed vs 9 or 10 speed) will be dependent on the terrain you are riding in, in relatively flat areas you won't need as many gears as if you're in the hills. If you are in a super flat area and want to get fit quickly you could get a damn fine single speed for your budget.

Pete
    Been having a search online for these Pete, but most places are out of stock or listing as discontinued - shame!

I've sent a couple of enquiry emails, looking for the 16 or the Double.

If not Specialized, Trek and Giant have been mentioned - any recommendations as to models that would be equivalents?

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom
    Buying second hand is a great option if you are comfortable assessing a bikes condition - check in particular for any damage if the frame or forks are carbon. If it was me with this budget I'd be looking at all the local bike shops within easy distance to see if there is any older stock that fits you. Good luck in your search, you won't regret taking up road cycling I'm sure. The optimum gearing set up (8 speed vs 9 or 10 speed) will be dependent on the terrain you are riding in, in relatively flat areas you won't need as many gears as if you're in the hills. If you are in a super flat area and want to get fit quickly you could get a damn fine single speed for your budget.
    Thanks. Yep, I reckon the only problem with me buying second hand, is that I don't really know what I'm looking out for! However, I'll go out for a scout around the shops though, as there's probably a better chance of being sold something that's undamaged, than if I looked privately.

I'm up in the Cotswolds, so not much in the way of flat I'm afraid! It completely knackered me (literally!) and my running regime a few years ago when I moved a whole 12 miles up the road from more ahem, comfortable terrain! :lol:

Master

Pete
    Been having a search online for these Pete, but most places are out of stock or listing as discontinued - shame!

I've sent a couple of enquiry emails, looking for the 16 or the Double.

If not Specialized, Trek and Giant have been mentioned - any recommendations as to models that would be equivalents?
    Leisure Lakes seem to have them for £450, but only in the biggest size.

Pete

Leisure Lakes seem to have them for £450, but only in the biggest size.

Pete
    Clocked that thanks - pity I'm a bit short in the leg for that size! Think I'm an L at best...

Ricky

Not sure how hilly it is up your part of the Cotswolds - I used to live in Prestbury and did a lot of cycling around Bishops Cleeve, Prescott, Winchcombe etc on a 1.5" tyred MTB. Thought it was fairly hilly until I moved down to South Devon, where I now encounter more 20%+ gradients in one ride than I used to encounter in a whole month in Cheltenham.

Still on the old 1991 Kona Cinder Cone with slicks, but about to press the button on a Specialized Secteur Elite (2010 model @ £850). Main attraction was the triple chainset, which I'd say is a useful feature if you regularly ride big and / or long hills (unless you have legs like Chris Hoy). I'll probably swap out the 30t chainring for a 26t in due course to allow even smoother spinning up the 1 in 4's.

You might want to think about a triple too. Both the standard Secteur & Allez have a triple (27spd) option. Good luck!

Journeyman

I bought I viking and ended up selling 2 weeks later to get a second hand Giant for about £100 more.

So much easier to ride and all of the parts are of a much better quality!

I bought a second hand giant off ebay for about 300 a few years back. does the job nicely!

Do get SPD's (clipless pedals) though, they make a world of difference on the road. Be warned though, you may fall off a few times first! (i know i did)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richie-t
    Be warned though, you may fall off a few times first! (i know i did)
    We've all been there, set of traffic lights in Germany circa 1988!
    RIAC

Oops...

Many thanks one and all - 2010 Specialized Allez 16, now on order!

We'll see how the standard gear train (and me) copes with the Cotswold terrain, and I'll try with the toe clips to start with then perhaps advance to the SPDs!

Really looking forward to it, more so because of the invaluable feedback here!

Cheers
    Ricky

Journeyman

Sounds like a sound purchase, just moved onto SPD pedals myself after 2 months with the bike and they are a brilliant investment!

Hope you enjoy your new bike 8)

Quote Originally Posted by deex
    Sounds like a sound purchase, just moved onto SPD pedals myself after 2 months with the bike and they are a brilliant investment!

Hope you enjoy your new bike 8)
    Thanks! I'm sure I'll end up with SPD kit sooner than I think!

Appreciated your comment re. the Viking - that helped a lot with the decision too!

Cheers
    Ricky

Grand Master

My other top tip is get a small piece of vinyl wrap (they use it at signwriters or car graphics places) and place a strip on your crank arms, stops the marks from shoes rubbing!
    RIAC

My other top tip is get a small piece of vinyl wrap (they use it at signwriters or car graphics places) and place a strip on your crank arms, stops the marks from shoes rubbing!
    Excellent - thanks! :lol:

Mind you, I think the rubbing in other areas might not be so easy to cure! I suppose gel pants and talcum powder will be next on the shopping list.... :cry: :lol:

Grand Master

Excellent - thanks! :lol:

Mind you, I think the rubbing in other areas might not be so easy to cure! I suppose gel pants and talcum powder will be next on the shopping list.... :cry: :lol:
    Good shorts are always a welcome thing, if you have a £10 arse get some £10 shorts, personally I used Assos Uno's or Specialized BG, you might want a splash of Chamois creme in the early days too, your arse will still get sore but not as sore as
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Really, the first advise on the first page is most important: buy a bike that fits you! A proper bike store will have access to measuring software. This makes choosing the right bike for you much easier.
    Get yourself a proper pair of gloves! When riding your bike, the weight of a large part of your upper body weighs down on your hands. The palms of your hands get squashed after a few miles. Proper gloves with silicon gel are very comfortable.
    (Your shoulders wil ache too :D )

Menno

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Really, the first advise on the first page is most important: buy a bike that fits you! A proper bike store will have access to measuring software. This makes choosing the right bike for you much easier.
    Get yourself a proper pair of gloves! When riding your bike, the weight of a large part of your upper body weighs down on your hands. The palms of your hands get squashed after a few miles. Proper gloves with silicon gel are very comfortable.
    (Your shoulders wil ache too :D )

Menno
    Slight contradiction there, if it fits you shouldnt get any discomfort in your hands!
    RIAC

Blog Entries

No, not a contradiction. Even a finetuned / measured bike will give you some handpalm ache. It has to do with your position. If you are new to cycling (road) your upper body will be tilted (correct phrase here?) forward, arms stretched, hands on top of the steering bar, thus causing some pain. It will go away within a few days/weeks, when your body is used to the new position.
    I'm riding my Cannondale for more than 10 years now. (av. 7000 kms/y) Now, getting a little older, I notice that the seating position is becoming 'stretched'. Perhaps I'm shrinking, perhaps I can not bend forward enough anymore. So, the measurements are good, but the body changes? I've bought a thicker pair of gloves last year, I've changed the stem for a new one one, less horizontal.

Menno

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    No, not a contradiction. Even a finetuned / measured bike will give you some handpalm ache. It has to do with your position. If you are new to cycling (road) your upper body will be tilted (correct phrase here?) forward, arms stretched, hands on top of the steering bar, thus causing some pain. It will go away within a few days/weeks, when your body is used to the new position.
    I'm riding my Cannondale for more than 10 years now. (av. 7000 kms/y) Now, getting a little older, I notice that the seating position is becoming 'stretched'. Perhaps I'm shrinking, perhaps I can not bend forward enough anymore. So, the measurements are good, but the body changes? I've bought a thicker pair of gloves last year, I've changed the stem for a new one one, less horizontal.

Menno
    Umm, I never wear gloves on the road or mountain bike other than to protect from a bit of gravel rash!
    RIAC

Same here. Only wear gloves if it's cold or mitts if I'm racing.

Craftsman

If I'm looking for a cheap/beater road bike just to get from A-B are their any specific sites worth looking at? I had a scout around ebay and gumtree so far and will keep an eye on the local papers. Cheers.

Craftsman

We'll see how the standard gear train (and me) copes with the Cotswold terrain, and I'll try with the toe clips to start with then perhaps advance to the SPDs!

Really looking forward to it, more so because of the invaluable feedback here!

Cheers
    Ricky
    Well done on finding a bike you like Ricky. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 2010 bike from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy
    Well done on finding a bike you like Ricky. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 2010 bike from ?
    Thanks - but I'm afraid was a bit previous there!

I had contacted Leisure Wheels in Hemel to check that they had my size/colour choice in stock, as I saw it advertised on their website, so that I could go pick it up. That was before I posted, and unfortunately they confirmed to me post, er, post that they were out of stock and apologised for not having their website updated!

The 2010 bike was advertised at £449.00. They said they had the 2011 in stock at £559.00, but if I ordered straight away they'd give me a 10% discount - so I went for it!

I can now confirm that it's definitely on order!

Craftsman

Thanks - but I'm afraid was a bit previous there!

I had contacted Leisure Wheels in Hemel to check that they had my size/colour choice in stock, as I saw it advertised on their website, so that I could go pick it up. That was before I posted, and unfortunately they confirmed to me post, er, post that they were out of stock and apologised for not having their website updated!

The 2010 bike was advertised at £449.00. They said they had the 2011 in stock at £559.00, but if I ordered straight away they'd give me a 10% discount - so I went for it!

I can now confirm that it's definitely on order!
    Still not a bad deal then

Still not a bad deal then
    Very good deal I think. Haven't come across anyone else offering a discount!

You after something similar yourself?

Craftsman

I am looking for a tricross bike which is essentially a road bike but a bit tougher so it can be taken off-road as well (eg Specialized Tricross) but now I am thinking of going for a pure road bike (like the Allez) as I already have a mountain bike.

The reason I asked the question is that I also contacted Leisure Wheels about there 2010 Tricross bikes and got the same response to you - sold out but can do a 10% discount. Didn't take them up on the offer as my local bike shop also offered me a 10% discount on the Specialized if I wanted it.

That's great from your local dealer - they're all a bit cut-throat around me!

Hope you get what you're after, at a good price!

Congratulations on the bike. I have been riding road bikes and more recently mountain bikes for over 20years and would definately recommend gloves, fingerless for the road and full for MTB.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    If I'm looking for a cheap/beater road bike just to get from A-B are their any specific sites worth looking at? I had a scout around ebay and gumtree so far and will keep an eye on the local papers. Cheers.
    What do you mean by 'cheap'? I think you ought to state your price range, as some people's idea of a cheap bike might not be the same as your own. :D

Craftsman

I was thinking of a second hand road bike for around £100 but I realise it might be more hassle than its worth! Will keep my eyes open though.