closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Went for a job interview yesterday...

Master

Went for a job interview yesterday...

...and decided to wear my GSAR as since I bought some other watches it's been neglected for a month or two.

Well what do you know, the guy who interviewed me noticed it and complimented me on my 'nice and uncommon choice'. Turns out he owns a CSAR but was yesterday wearing a pretty nice-looking Omega Dynamic (wouldn't mind one of those myself).

I got the job... I wonder if it was due in part to my trusty GSAR :P

Re: Went for a job interview yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    ...and decided to wear my GSAR as since I bought some other watches it's been neglected for a month or two.

Well what do you know, the guy who interviewed me noticed it and complimented me on my 'nice and uncommon choice'. Turns out he owns a CSAR but was yesterday wearing a pretty nice-looking Omega Dynamic (wouldn't mind one of those myself).

You know it was, people employ people to whom they can relate. He congratulates himself on having bought a CSAR and in you he sees someone who shares his good (as perceived by himself) taste.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

It can't have hurt :)

Congratulations. A stroke of luck there :)

I would not wear such a watch to a job interview, for fear of people seeing a huge watch and just thinking me a right berk. I'd pick something rather subdued and simple. Then again, most people don't even notice watches.

Congratulations. He clearly recognised you as a man of taste and distinction (as he shares your taste!) due to your choice of watch. :lol:

Good one.

Nice choice of watch too.

Good thing, it was not the other way around; that you wore the CSAR and the other guy had just bought a GSAR :lol:

Count your blessings

Craftsman

Congratulations, you got lucky.

My last interview in January was a 5 hour affair with various managers, in turn, coming into the interview room to see me. Between the numerous waits I filled out the Telegraph crossword but kept it hidden under numerous other documents I had with me. Finally my future director came in, spotted the paper and we spent the next 15 minutes talking about Telegraph crosswords, his paper and crossword of choice; I got the job.

Craftsman

Both interview stories are the sort of thing that, if seen on TV, you'd put down to poetic licence. These things are very uplifting for me. Well done on the new job :thumbleft:

Congratulations on the new job - the watch clearly made him feel you were the right sort of chap :)
    Gray

Always a winner, like the masons but watches :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac

Congratulations. A stroke of luck there :)

I would not wear such a watch to a job interview, for fear of people seeing a huge watch and just thinking me a right berk. I'd pick something rather subdued and simple. Then again, most people don't even notice watches.
    Yes, congratualtions.

I don't think the GSAR is a huge watch. It was in 2002, but not 2011.
    41.1mm (without crown) x 13.9mm. Lug-Lug: 46.5mm

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

First, congratulations.

Second, just feel lucky the the guy interviewing you wasn't wearing a $25 quartz and felt anyone that spent money on mechanical watches, especially those priced over $150, was stupid and had fallen for the Swiss advertising machine.....

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    First, congratulations.

Second, just feel lucky the the guy interviewing you wasn't wearing a $25 quartz and felt anyone that spent money on mechanical watches, especially those priced over $150, was stupid and had fallen for the Swiss advertising machine.....
    True, but many of those people probably wouldn't be able to tell if the GSAR is a $150 watch or not :wink:

Master

Congratulations on the new job!

Did he mention the frogman suit at all?

Craftsman

Unless the watch is particularly imposing, I don't think anyone notices them apart from other watch aficionados. I never once noticed what people, even close friends and family, were wearing until I recently developed an interest in watches. Now I'm always glancing at other people's wrists! :)

Master

I recently resigned and (at 60) just to get an interview would be a result! :shock:
    Mike

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomsen
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    First, congratulations.

True, but many of those people probably wouldn't be able to tell if the GSAR is a $150 watch or not :wink:
    I don't know, some of those people are around here. :?

Journeyman

Explains why I've always had cr*p jobs, me and my Timex :roll:

Congrats!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    Unless the watch is particularly imposing, I don't think anyone notices them apart from other watch aficionados. I never once noticed what people, even close friends and family, were wearing until I recently developed an interest in watches. Now I'm always glancing at other people's wrists! :)
    +1!!!

Craftsman

Did you wear in on the Marathon bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by mel
    Explains why I've always had cr*p jobs, me and my Timex :roll:
    I had a Timex when they were still made in Dundee and Westclox made clocks. It kept good time. Someone nicked it. :( :x

It would seem a bit small now though. A £30 Citizen quartz seemed to do the job well 20 years ago. I wore that to interviews and it didn't seem to do any harm.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by marin
    Did you wear in on the Marathon bracelet?
    It's the only strap/bracelet I ever wear it on :)

Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    It's funny isn't it? When I got a Seiko sport 200 kinetic around 1995, a colleague said: "Is that a Rolex? You flash git!". :shock: Well obviously it wasn't but that didn't stop him and one of his pals from getting kinetics (at discount -jammy), as they fancied them as something that might pass for A Rolex for goodness sake. :lol: Oh dear. :lol:

Anothertime we had a visit from someone wearing a Brietling. Nobody else recognised it. The bloke acted suprised that I'd noticed the bloody big gold wings on the watch face...

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Did he mention the frogman suit at all?
    Were you interviewing for a job as a frogman?

Banned

Well done, the established view is that most interviews are decided from non-verbal things like common interests and your appearance/demeanour.