closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dornbluth - new face - crime?

Dornbluth - new face - crime?

I have written before about how happy and lucky I was to acquire a nearly impossible to find Dornbluth 04.0 mid-size in December last year. This is what it looked like.

I love the watch and wear it with great pleasure (and so far in good health, to coin a phrase). However, I've also acquired a couple of nice alternative "dressy" watches for work. So I thought I would try to upgrade my watch to make it slightly different ("sportier" / "portugueser"?) from the others. I decided to go for applique (sorry can't do accents) numbers, in the same material as the hands. One short exchange with Dirk about the issue and the watch was sent back to base for its new face.

It came back (with the usual amazing Dornbluth customer care experience) promptly and in a lovely state as follows (sorry crap photos):

However, it's taking me a bit of time to get used to the beauty's new face...the numerals are smaller and a different font. The cutouts have gone and I slightly miss them (perhaps the thread the other week about how the cutouts creaste a sort of longing to work out where the missing piece has gone has triggered that). I also miss the supersize "old fashioned" printed numbers which gave the watch a new vintage kind of feel.

What do you lot think? Actually looking at these photos now, I quite like the fact that the new applique numbers are the same material as the hands and the same font as the subdial seconds.

It's growing on me, but I can't work out if I've committed a crime in getting this work done.

Re: Dornbluth - new face - crime?

I prefer the first incarnation to be honest. Better looking numbers (size and font).

Maybe its just a matter of getting used to it, I actually prefere the original, sorry.

No crime as far as I can see. The applique numbers make it look a touch more classy (if that's possible with a Dornbluth!) They add a touch of quality over and above printed numerals, I think. I really don't like cutaway numerals.

That's a gorgeous watch and in my opinion you've made it gorgeouser :D

W.

Them new ones look too small for the dial

Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    I guess you can't get much bigger without then doing Portugese nibbled applique 5 and 7s.

I think the original numerals are too big....and the replacements too small

Banned

The thing about the alterations is that it can be done and so readily.

How good is it that you can send it back to the manufacturer for custom tailoring so to speak 8)

Personally I think applied numerals are a must on a DB.

Master

Works for me. Prefer the latest incarnation. Classy piece.

Perhaps it's just the pictures, but I prefer the original also.

Much nicer (second one I mean)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Sorry, but...................first dial nicer for me, by a long way.
    F.T.F.A.

Prefer the original I am afraid. "Crime" putting it strongly. Responses show just how subjective the question is.

I'm not usually in favour of altering a watch in any way, but I think you made the right move there. Those appliqué numerals look classy 8)

I had raised numbers on my Dornbluth 99.1 dial and their size was a little larger than this option on your 4.0. The numbers on your dial are a little too small for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    I guess you can't get much bigger without then doing Portugese nibbled applique 5 and 7s.

I think the original numerals are too big....and the replacements too small
    I agree ... neither dial is perfect ... so it's difficult to decide which is more pleasing to the eye.

I have a 99.1 which has an 'applied' numerals upgrade and I still have the original printed dial.

Here's the two dials just Q&D'd using the ceiling light hence colour is a bit off ... but note the numerals are both the same size ... I prefer the 'applied' ...

Could you take a similar side by side pic. if you still have the old dial?

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Man that looks ace...

Very good. ;)

'a crime' would be sticking a small picture of Lisa tarbucks face on the dial. That is actually quite nice.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I'm sure the new face is the same as my 99.0 i'll have to check, I think it looks nice

Craftsman

Actually, I think the new dial looks dressier. Maybe not the result you were going for...

That said, I like it better than the original.

I prefer the new dial by a mile.

Lovely watch.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

I wholeheartedly prefer the new dial; the proportions IMO are bang on, as the hour hand more precisely touches rather than overlaps the numerals, and the minute hand is hitting the minute track precisely as well. I also echo others' thoughts that the 5 and 7 are much improved, and overall I think that applied numerals are far more elegant than printed ones.

Much prefernstyle number 2. A lot classierand a cleaner look as well. But all that matters is if you like it or not.

Master

The new dial looks great, and I expect it looks even better in the flesh - but... if the numbers could have been slightly bigger, then it would have been absolutely perfect.

Blog Entries

Applied for me, definitely! I think they add 'zone' to the dial. :)

I like them both. It's only when you compare them side by side that the different numeral size stands out.

regards,
    Nick

The important thing is that YOU like the dial.

I prefer the first dial, but would not label the second one a "crime" by any stretch of the imagination.

Hi,

I prefer the second dial. Great upgrade.
    But as said before wht makes u happy is all that matters

I prefer the first dial for looks and balance.

The second dial for applied, matching indices - not a crime, but certainly a dilema.

Life must be tough with so much to worry about :lol: :wink: :lol:
    Gray

Journeyman

New dial for me.
    Would be great if the numbers are just a wee bit bigger.

Master

The new dial looks good, if you don't look at the original!

I like the raised numbers on the second dial, but as others have said, the numbers look a little small.

Applied numbers the same size as the original would look better I think.

Still a treat to look at though, in either incarnation! :)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. If only this was the most pressing dilemma in my life, I'd be a happy man!

I really appreciate the comments. I think the numbers could have been slightly bigger, but then Dirk would have faced the "cutout problem". The new 5 and 7 are bang on the edge of the small dial. I really appreciate the observation about how the hour hand actually now just reaches the edge of the numbers as the minute hand just overlaps the minute track.

Don't worry - I do have my own view on my own watch and am not using this as an opinion poll as to what to do next. My first reaction on seeing it was that it was a mistake. However, that may well have been because I was so used to the old watch and now, after less than a week, it really is growing on me. The watch is "calmer", with the unity of font and colour. There is a lot of white space on the watch, which is actually quite refreshing compared with tons of the "COSC Superlative Automtiks" out there. The depth of the new numbers adds interest, particularly when viewed from an angle. I took a risk with the upgrade but am very happy with the result - but it's also really interesting to see the reactions from you nutters out there.

I will do a side by side with the old face at some stage - as someone pointed out, the photo of the old dial is a nicer photo which shows the warmth of the texture better. Lots of you successful sellers out there knew it already, but the quality of the photo makes a huge difference.

The good news is, if I ever am in any serious doubt, that Dirk (from what I hear, unlike some other mass manufacturers) of course returned the original dial to me and I'm sure would be happy to fit it back in if I wanted. That really is one thing that makes owning a Dornbluth a different experience from one of the big names.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Master

Switch it back to the original, IMO it looks a lot better.

I prefer the heavier look of the original dial, the lighter blanced new looks dressier in my eyes.
    It's a grail for me and a beautiful watch with either dial.
    Currently have a 90.0 I dont wear enought due to wrist size. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf
    My first reaction on seeing it was that it was a mistake. However, that may well have been because I was so used to the old watch and now, after less than a week, it really is growing on me. comment.
    That is how it often is - at least for me.

I was never a fan of lume dials - until I got one. After a while I became a really big fan.

Same thing with Cali dial. Like many here, I was never a big fan, until I wore a Cali dial watch for a while and grew to like it a lot.

First for me.

Master

Whilst I don''t like (and don't use) the expression 'grail watch' I have always lusted after the Dornbluth 99.1 on a tan croc strap. Now, dammit I have to get two - a standard watch and one with applied numbers thanks to you!

However I have no idea what they cost, although I did once see a used one for sale and it was going for Rolex money - I can only assume that as the new prices are not quoted on the Dornbluth site it's a case of "if you have to ask you can't afford it". However a bloke can dream..

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    I prefer the first incarnation to be honest. Better looking numbers (size and font).
    Same. The former seem more elegant and in keeping with the character of the piece.

Certainly not a crime.

But respectfully and to my eye it is a miss. As you know, I've installed a similar dial with silver numerals on my "stealth" 04.0. Perhaps it's the lack of contrast which, IMHO, makes it a hit:

8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I do love the appliques, but the numerals on the new dial are IMHO just a wee bit too small. The 99.1 is that little bit bigger, making the proportions of larger numerals more in keeping with the dial's overall layout without the need for cut-outs. Would cut-out appliques look daft?

I can foresee a "Show us your Dornblüth" thread on TZ UK ... there appear to be several Dornblüth enthusiasts here.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    I can foresee a "Show us your Dornblüth" thread on TZ UK ... there appear to be several Dornblüth enthusiasts here.

dunk
    Don't get me started....