closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rachel's Organic Greek Style Yoghurt

Rachel's Organic Greek Style Yoghurt

I usually get it with honey, but this time I went for ginger instead. It's yummy.

Re: Rachel's Organic Greek Style Yoghurt

i like the coconut one... but then i add extra honey :D

Yogurt discuss mode ON

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    Have you tried the Yeo Valley Greek Style with honey? Much punchier to my taste than the Rachael's which I always have to add more honey too as well. :thumbleft:

Yoghurt mode OFF

jeff

Yes I have- none of the yoghurts have enough honey and when they do its not very nice honey. Hence I tend to take Rachels' or Yeo Valley and add my own Orange Blossom, or if i can find it, Greek Pine honey.

This is one of those things its not worth knowing this much about isn't it?

Master

Error 403: The First Rule of Yoghurt Club is that you do not talk about Yoghurt Club.

rachels is the biz. nice choice. used to be a yeo valley man but then they stopped supplying the small shops that were at the forefront of the organic movement in favour of the big boys.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

It should be good if it's Greek style yoghurt, the company probably borrowed £20, put £5 worth of ingredients in it, siphoned off £16 and charged you £1 for it.

Yes I have- none of the yoghurts have enough honey and when they do its not very nice honey. Hence I tend to take Rachels' or Yeo Valley and add my own Orange Blossom, or if i can find it, Greek Pine honey.

This is one of those things its not worth knowing this much about isn't it?
    On the contrary... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Error 403: The First Rule of Yoghurt Club is that you do not talk about Yoghurt Club.
    If the entry criteria are tougher than Cheese Club, I'm not applying.

Are you saying you've passed selection for cheese club?!! :shock:

jeff

We "make" our own yoghurt, thanks to a TSV on QVC about a year ago.

http://www.easiyo.com/index.html
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Are you saying you've passed selection for cheese club?!! :shock:

jeff

I love this place. :lol:

Anyway. Rachel's yoghurts (450g) seem to be on a permanent "2 for £3" at whichever supermarket I use, which either means that

1/ Sales are slow
    or
    2/ The Great Yoghurt War of 2011 is about to break out, and Ski and Activia execs are mounting the barricades and preparing their spreadsheets for what can only be expected to end up in dairy-based carnage.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

They're nice..but still plenty of sugar in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    I love this place. :lol:

Anyway. Rachel's yoghurts (450g) seem to be on a permanent "2 for £3" at whichever supermarket I use, which either means that

1/ Sales are slow
    or
    2/ The Great Yoghurt War of 2011 is about to break out, and Ski and Activia execs are mounting the barricades and preparing their spreadsheets for what can only be expected to end up in dairy-based carnage.
    Don't joke . I remember the Yoghurt wars of 1990s
    ... Ski??? get with it daddio. Its all Muller vs Danone these days and Danone will probabaly win. Interestingly yoghurt is one of ther few industries Nestle (who own Ski) haven't pushed hard for a while. Although its a minnow compared to Danone, Yeo Valley's a klarge company now and Rachels will have to compete on price in the supermarkets. And there's there's the the horrid Total with their 0%fat yoghurt never mind Dr Oetker, Yoplait and others!

i really really really shouldnt be interested in this.

Craftsman

......And there's there's the the horrid Total with their 0%fat yoghurt
    Proper Total (not the low fat) is the only one my Greek Cypriot wife buys, so I am siding with her as being the "proper" one. Certainly makes blinding tzatziki.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave
    Certainly makes blinding tzatziki.
    Use less home-made Gin in the next batch, should sort out that problem.

Master

Is it just me that thinks Greek Style yoghurt sounds dodgy?

Sometimes make my own. Really simple - boil up some milk, cool to 50C, stir in pot of real yoghurt. Put in containers and leave warm overnight. I put in our oven which has 'dough proving' setting - about 45C - but can be in a thermos flask. Cool and that's it.

Master

Love the innocence of Greek Style refering to yoghurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper
    Sometimes make my own. Really simple - boil up some milk, cool to 50C, stir in pot of real yoghurt. Put in containers and leave warm overnight. I put in our oven which has 'dough proving' setting - about 45C - but can be in a thermos flask. Cool and that's it.
    Interesting. When you say "real yoghurt", what counts as real yoghurt?

Can you use skimmed milk as a base or does it have to be full fat?
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

I used to do this when I lived overseas, we kept a live culture just for the purpose. Simplicity itself and when in India it was also the base for making paneer.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint

'real' refers to the fact it has a live culture present. if you need to know more try asking the guys over at the yoghourt forum, http://www.man-yogurt.com .

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath

'real' refers to the fact it has a live culture present. if you need to know more try asking the guys over at the yoghourt forum, http://www.man-yogurt.com .
    I see, so something bio presumably. I'll get a thermometer and give it a go.

man-yoghurt.com seems to be down at the moment. When it comes back up I'll grab one of the regulars and see what I can get out of him.

I make my own also and have done for a few years - far better than any shop bought yoghurt. I use a yoghurt maker to do mine. Mix milk with one of the yoghurts from the previous batch (or buy a quality natural yogurt for the first batch you make and mix it in) and then leave in the machine for 8-9 hours. Very easy indeed. This is the machine I use:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230872052/Product.aspx

Ben

As others have suggested, "real yoghurt" is just a plain natural yoghurt (and they virtually all contain live cultures). Not sure whether using a greek style yoghurt or not will influence the result but worth experimenting.

I've used semi-skimmed milk but not sure about low-fat. I think commercial low-fat yoghurts have something like gelatine or cornflour as a thickening agent so may not work well.

Used to make it in a set of small glasses with a spoon of jam in first which the children would love.

Now this is tasty:

Made a few miles form us on the same farm as the herd, fresh organic whole-fat milk. :drunken:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Sorry guys, I just tried some coconut flavour Rachaels Greek style yoghurt tonight and I don't see the big attraction! Tastes like plain yoghurt with bits of coconut in!

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909
    Sorry guys, I just tried some coconut flavour Rachaels Greek style yoghurt tonight and I don't see the big attraction! Tastes like plain yoghurt with bits of coconut in!
    which is exactly what it is . what were you expecting :lol: :lol: :lol:
    what we call 'greek yogurt' is just normal yogurt that has been strained and therefore a bit thicker

what we call 'greek yogurt' is just normal yogurt that has been strained and therefore a bit thicker
    I'm not sure that was a good choice of flavour to start with, either. The ginger's gorgeous ;)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    I'm not sure that was a good choice of flavour to start with, either. The ginger's gorgeous ;)
    :lol: ok, I asked for that! I think I was expecting a stronger coconut flavour (like the ice cream you get in curry houses!)

Tony, I very nearly got the Ginger too! :evil: ended up getting a honey and a coconut as it was 2 for £3....

May go back tomorrow and get a Ginger one!

:lol: ok, I asked for that! I think I was expecting a stronger coconut flavour (like the ice cream you get in curry houses!)

Tony, I very nearly got the Ginger too! :evil: ended up getting a honey and a coconut as it was 2 for £3....

Do it, Andy - you won't be sorry, matey ;)

dammit don't you kids listen? you gotta mix some extra honey into the coconut one!

I also make my own ... but essential to sterilise the pots in which the boiled and cooled (to blood heat) milk is poured ... and then just add some live yoghurt to the pot(s) , cover , and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight to multiply and set before chilling in the fridge. Serve with fresh fruit, honey and spices according to personal preferences. Use homogenised milk to prevent it separating into curds and whey. If you don't sterilise the pots there is a risk of culturing up any nasties that were in the pots ...in addition to culturing the added yoghurt.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

dammit don't you kids listen? you gotta mix some extra honey into the coconut one!

I shall try some orange blossom honey on your recommendation.

I've had a yoghurt revalation!!

Tried the honey one today, and it was a lot nicer. Then tried the honey one with figs.....Awesome!

Then the coconut one with strawberries..... Even better!!

I'm converted! Time to post off my application to join "yoghurt club"!!

Has anyone tried Twekkelo Apple and Cinnamon yoghurt?

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Tw ... t/37129011 ... check the reviews ... IMO it is the best tasting yoghurt available. Sainsbury, Waitrose and Tesco sell it. Rachels is good too but I was unprepared for just how tasty a yoghurt can be until trying Twekkelo Apple & Cinnamon.

dunk

Am gutted - looked at that Rachel's Greek Yoghurt with Ginger today for a minute, but didn't get in the end - will have to go back :-( On the flip-side, having tried many, will say that M&S Greek Yoghurt can hold its own against any others :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cici
    Am gutted - looked at that Rachel's Greek Yoghurt with Ginger today for a minute, but didn't get in the end - will have to go back :-( On the flip-side, having tried many, will say that M&S Greek Yoghurt can hold its own against any others :-)
    Just finished half a pot today, making it one ginger and one honey this week. Yum!

Craftsman

There is a really nice yoghurt that I have only found in Morrisons with apple and cinnamon, cant remember who makes it though, an independent farm brand, check it out if you find it!

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89
    There is a really nice yoghurt that I have only found in Morrisons with apple and cinnamon, cant remember who makes it though, an independent farm brand, check it out if you find it!
    Morrisons stock Twekkelo and it is a Dutch farm brand so maybe it is the one you tried? Did yours have the fruit at the botton of the tub? If so, it probably was Twekkelo Apple and Cinnamon.

dunk

Craftsman

Not a big fan of ginger (the flavour, to avoid any possible offence :wink: ) - but I had the honey variant which is fantastic!

Good choice.

For other fans of Yoghurt and Honey try the Yeo Valley Yoghurt and Honey Ice Cream! (Note: I take no responsibility for any weight gain associated with this post)

Master

+ 1 but hold the honey. Don't want any angry bears.

Man my tastes buds are going crazy I put Ginger in nearly everything I eat Have I got Gingavitis :lol:

Master

I had some nice yoghurt today. Strangely enough it was in a milk carton at the back of the fridge but once I'd stirred the green topping in it tasted lovely!

Serious 'Respect!' to Tony for the recommendation of Rachel's Greek Yoghurt with Ginger - finally tracked it down today - incredible! Going back tomorrow to stock up (in case it's a seasonal special) :drunken:

Lots of sugar but lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Cici
    Serious 'Respect!' to Tony for the recommendation of Rachel's Greek Yoghurt with Ginger - finally tracked it down today - incredible! Going back tomorrow to stock up (in case it's a seasonal special) :drunken:
    Glad to be of service :thumbright:

Rachel's yoghurts are on special offer in Waitrose this week.

dunk

I don't agree with ginger and yogurt going together.....but then I haven't tried it. I look forward to buying some next time at the supermarket!

My usual preference is full fat total yogurt with a tea spoon of manuka honey.

And for a very cooling summer drink, whizz up 500ml of yogurt with 100ml of ice cold water, 4 heaped tea spoons demerara and ice cubes. Very very refreshing!