closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The ubiquitous 5600

The ubiquitous 5600

I picked up the DW-5600 a couple of days ago - it's my third or fourth 5600, in fact, but somehow it feels like the one to have. Not solar, not atomic - just proper retro goodness that does the job.

Thoughts?

Re: The ubiquitous 5600

no point not having the solar atomic if you can. amazing level of functionality. if youre going to get sentimental, save it for the autos.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman

The ubiquitous 5600

A great watch for sure... but for me, half the job my G does is to look after itself so I don't ever worry if its timekeeping has drifted, so I prefer the GW version. Not so bothered about the solar bit.

The other part is a mixture of retro good looks, legibility, lightness on the wrist and rugged dependability for a cheap price, which all the 5600s do in spades!

Well, this one has a 10 year battery life, and is accurate enough for 99.99999% of people anyway. The design also seems far more reminiscent of the originals without unnecessary info/colours all over the place. I much prefer it 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    ...it feels like the one to have.

Thoughts?
    Didn't you say that about the 5000 DLC jobbie? :D

"The one to have" as far as I'm concerned is a Spike Lee. The 5600 is too flimsy/lightweight/naff feeling for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    ...it feels like the one to have.

Thoughts?
    Didn't you say that about the 5000 DLC jobbie? :D

"The one to have" as far as I'm concerned is a Spike Lee. The 5600 is too flimsy/lightweight/naff feeling for me.
    Forty five quid plays two hundred and something ;)

Master

Eighty-odd quid.
    Spike Lee.
    Job Jobbed.

8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Eighty-odd quid.
    Spike Lee.
    Job Jobbed.

8)
    Aside from the nasty backlight logo, you mean?

Master

It only lights up when you press it. :)

Bought a 5600, quickly flipped a 5600! It might be iconic, but it felt like a child's watch. Sorry Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl
    Bought a 5600, quickly flipped a 5600! It might be iconic, but it felt like a child's watch. Sorry Tony.
    No need to apologise :lol:

TBH, I've had about a dozen, and always flipped them on pretty quickly. Now, though, this is all I have that isn't vintage so it has a place in the collection. I also like it.

Craftsman

Wanted to buy a cheap DW5600E-1V but couldn't find one cheap in the UK so I got a deal on a GW-M5600 (solar, atomic and go faster stripe) instead. Would have preferred the DW5600 for it's simpler less cluttered looks and it's 24 hour countdown timer.

I must admit, I quite like the extra functionality of the solar atomic stuff, but I do see the appeal of the basic G. I agree about the colours, though, which is why my GW-M5600 got a bit of a mod to look like this:

Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

If I were going to get one*, I'd take a DW290 for old time's sake. First dive watch I ever bought. But somehow, "Electro-luminescence" never sounded as cool again...

*I know it's not technically a G-Shock, but it was a forerunner of sorts.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TimD
    Wanted to buy a cheap DW5600E-1V but couldn't find one cheap in the UK so I got a deal on a GW-M5600 (solar, atomic and go faster stripe) instead. Would have preferred the DW5600 for it's simpler less cluttered looks and it's 24 hour countdown timer.
    With seconds and auto-repeat function.

I picked up the DW-5600 a couple of days ago - it's my third or fourth 5600, in fact, but somehow it feels like the one to have. Not solar, not atomic - just proper retro goodness that does the job.
    Funny, as I decided I need to have a G-Shock, I also concluded the 5600 was the one to have. However, mine is atomic/solar. Looks almost the same except for a bit more print and colour on it. I think it is the better and more appropriate choice, as it is even more packed with gadgetry than the normal one, and frankly a digital like that is supposed to be full of gadgets, including stuff you react to with "why the hell would anyone need this?". Five alarms, hell yeah!

I adore 5600s, any form, but the funny thing is I never wear mine. I notice it, immediately want to wear it, put it on and am quite happy with how it looks like. Couple of hours later I'm reaching for something else. The longest I wore it was when I was away from home a couple of days, I could not wait to get home and once there made a beeline towards the Sinn. Strange. I want to wear it right now.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries

Like it, but prefer solar atomic function tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac
    Funny, as I decided I need to have a G-Shock, I also concluded the 5600 was the one to have. However, mine is atomic/solar. Looks almost the same except for a bit more print and colour on it. I think it is the better and more appropriate choice, as it is even more packed with gadgetry than the normal one, and frankly a digital like that is supposed to be full of gadgets, including stuff you react to with "why the hell would anyone need this?". Five alarms, hell yeah!

I adore 5600s, any form, but the funny thing is I never wear mine. I notice it, immediately want to wear it, put it on and am quite happy with how it looks like. Couple of hours later I'm reaching for something else. The longest I wore it was when I was away from home a couple of days, I could not wait to get home and once there made a beeline towards the Sinn. Strange. I want to wear it right now
    Ditto :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl
    I would agree, the DW-5600E can feel this way.

You should all give these DW-5600E with plated backs a wide berth and have a try of the DW-5600C.

The solid steel case and screwback of the 'C is where it's at :wink:

Personally i wouldn't waste my time on the DW-5600E, unless it's got 'Japan' stamped on the back, and it was released in LImited quantities 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    If I were going to get one*, I'd take a DW290 for old time's sake. First dive watch I ever bought. But somehow, "Electro-luminescence" never sounded as cool again...

*I know it's not technically a G-Shock, but it was a forerunner of sorts.
    I had a few of the DW270s back in the day (late 80s IIRC). Sold this one here the other year after dusting it down - much as I love the look, and it's position as the forerunner to the Gs, I now found it too small.

I have a bit of a 5600 fetish - with a DW5600, 2 x GW5600s and a DW5000.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 5600 is, in its own way, as iconic a watch as the Sub or the Speedy.

I agree the 5600 is an iconic piece, but I sold all of mine for one reason - sure, they made me think of the 80's in a nostalgic wave, but on my wrist it just looked like the 'weapon of choice' for a 10 year old with a Raleigh Grifter. Fine if you're 10, but just looked naff on my wrist

I far prefer the 6900, especially in solar/atomic guise - big metal buttons I can get to with my adult fingers, the useful light switch on the front, and a 'classic' chunky feel which is a bit more wearable - kind of the cool kid with a BMX and a Fila tracksuit compared to the 5600's 'specs and Raleigh Shopper vibe

I think I need a lie down, can you still buy Spangles?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    no point not having the solar atomic if you can. amazing level of functionality. if youre going to get sentimental, save it for the autos.
    Agreed .. I really do think the solar / atomic functions are great to have on these. And considering it doesn't add to the cost significantly or compromise the looks, I feel there's something missing if you don't have them. Sold my Spike Lee and bought one of the Argos solar / atomic Gs and I'm much happier and more content with the latter.

Master

I notice it, immediately want to wear it, put it on and am quite happy with how it looks like. Couple of hours later I'm reaching for something else.
    I'm like that with every watch I own.

I do understand the comments regarding the solar/atomic options, but I have to say that it's neither here nor there to me in reality. The battery on my watch has a 10 year life. Does it matter if it needs changing after that period of time? No, of course not - and it's far less irritating that seeing a solar power meter on the face that's permanently on "medium" as a consequence of the watch being in my box half the time! As for the atomic timekeeping... let's be serious. Nice to have, perhaps, but if anyone's suggesting that standard quartz accuracy is insufficient for their needs I'd like to know what they're up to! Seriously, a reset once every few weeks/months is all that's required, which takes all on one minute.

The fact is that the design of the DW is cleaner, simpler, clearer and closer to the original. That FAR outweighs the other issues in my opinion :)

I adore 5600s, any form, but the funny thing is I never wear mine. I notice it, immediately want to wear it, put it on and am quite happy with how it looks like. Couple of hours later I'm reaching for something else. The longest I wore it was when I was away from home a couple of days, I could not wait to get home and once there made a beeline towards the Sinn. Strange. I want to wear it right now.
    Ditto :lol:
    Same here. I sold my first one last year because I never wear it, but then bought another one recently and still don't wear that one. I took it on holiday recently as a back-up (what a wierd, WIS concept that is, a backup watch) and wore it out one day, but couldn't wait to change back to my real holiday watch, an SKX007.

It might come into its own next time we decorate and there is paint everywhere, but possibly not, I might then end up wearing a £20 Seiko 5 from ebay.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

The fact is that the design of the DW is cleaner, simpler, clearer and closer to the original. That FAR outweighs the other issues in my opinion :)
    The DW-5600E is like the Speedy Pro with the hesalite crystal. There are countless more expensive variations on the theme, but there's only one original.

Master

I was given a 5600 (non-solar, non-atomic) a couple of years ago by a friend and it was the first digital watch I'd owned since I was about 5. I was initially somewhat disgusted by it but as time went on I really came to appreciate it, and it was worn not only as a 'beater' but actually because I liked it.

Since then I've gone on to own about ten more G-Shocks (but have pared the collection back to four now). It started my appreciation of Gs but no matter the models I own, I always favour the 5600s I have. I really think they're great.