closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: an odd question maybe

Master

an odd question maybe

...but here it goes.

I' m about to start a new job in London, and for the first three months I' ll be staying in temporary accommodation (which I' m still sorting out if anyone's got a suggestion... :lol: ). So this means, living off a small suitcase between Monday and Friday, then back home for the weekend, then back to London for the working week...

So, I was wondering if anyone here has done this and if so any tips? I guess I' d have to travel light with a small suitcase/suit carrier, laptop bag etc.

What's the easiest way of doing this and feeling as less as a nomad as possible?

Opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

VA

:)

Re: an odd question maybe

I have done this a lot in reverse during my working life. I lived in London and travelled north, Newcastle, Aberdeen, Barrow etc. during the week. Travel as light as you dare. You only need to carry four shirts and four sets of underwear, you'll be wearing one. Along with a pair of jeans and a couple of tee shirts for the evenings and your toiletries, that should be enough. Remember you can always pop in M&S if you need something, dont carry it if you dont need it!!! Depending on where in London you will be working, dont try to live on top of work if downtown, too expensive. The transport system in London is really good, look to stay in the suburbs, a much cheaper option.

Grand Master

I've done this a few times, the best bet is to start off with essentials, and when i say essentials i mean stuff for work and stuff to keep you busy in the evenings, as that's the worst time.

I tended to head down with a couple of bags of stuff, and a laptop bag with the laptop, DVD's, etc to keep me busy in the evenings, you can then leave stuff there, or in your office space, so that you don't have to flit every week and in the end just need to bring clean clothes, etc (if you don't have access to washing machines/etc).

It starts off well though, you'll go down there, have a fresh working environment, stuff to do such as wandering round, cinema, etc and it'll be good for the first few weeks, but after that you'll get a bit jaded, so are you going to look at relocating, or suffer for a while?

Grand Master

Oh yeah, and in the first week about 40% of the stuff you take you won't use, you'll then mumble about how you had to drag it all down and it'll be a pain bringing it back, but that always happens :lol:

Master

I'd echo the above, although it does depend on the job/office in question.
    When I did this (Well Mon-Thurs) a few years ago I was working in a fairly laid back office in a fairly laid back country, Sweden.

4 shirts and 2 for evenings sounds about right.
    Try not to worry too much about the details you normally would, 1 belt, 1 watch, 1-2 ties is all fine.

I can recommend a Shirt Shuttle http://www.conranshop.co.uk/589864/SHIR ... LE/Product for the transport of your shirts. I have one and it is brilliant at keeping them increased during travel.

Craftsman

I'll try to answer the other half of your question - accommodation. I am all over the place all week and my company foots all hotels bills so my situation is different to yours but during one of my commutes there was a half hour radio programme on London weekly lets. A quick Google came up with mondaytofriday.com, spareroom.com and fivenights.com. It appears that weekly lets are quite the norm in London. Providing it is near a decent pub (food) and transport I think it could work quite well.

I tend to use Premier Inns a lot, not through any brand loyalty but because they are all over the place and you know what you are getting before you walk through the door. The one thing with them that massively pi$$es me off is their internet charge, £12/24hrs. To counter that I've just got myself a broadband dongle, £39.99 for 3 months unlimited access (but a fair play policy) that seems to work perfectly at the moment. You may want to consider adding one of those to your survival kit. Skype is a great way of staying in touch with home and it cost nothing once you are on the web.

My wife is quite used to me being away and accepts that while I may be in some exotic locations, Paris, Switerland, Wakefield or Wigan and eating out each night she realises it's all work and little fun so there are no issues there when I return home each week; others in my team are not so lucky in this area.

Good luck with the new role.

Master

Many thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of exactly the same lines. The new office location is at Tottenham Court Road, so fairly centrally. I' ve just put down a deposit for a flatshare for Mon to Fri.

Travel wise, I' ll travel light - suit, shirts and basic afternoon/casual wear - everything else will be included as and when needed. I have access to a washing machine so that will be a backup if needed mid-week, although I plan to take things back with me and do the laundry at home.

In any case this is meant to be temporary - for two months - while preparing for the full relocation to London so I don't worry about it too much.

So, thanks again for the comments and suggestions, I' ll let you know how it goes!

:)

VA

I've done this a couple times... one thing I liked to do was to also keep a few items at work in case I forgot to pack something. Don't bother with extra t-shirts, socks, toothpaste, etc. as those can be cheaply and easily purchased around town -- I'm thinking more of things like dress shoes, a tie, and a belt in one of your desk drawers.

Grand Master

Become an MP and claim for a second home and everything else the working man has to dip into his arse pocket and pay for that they get for sweet F.A.......

Hi VA - can you plesae drop me a line when you are in town

thanks

sam

Banned

I can highly recommend you double up all your toiletries, so you don't have to raid the bathroom each week. Just keep a toiletries bag in your travel bag with everything you need. Nothing worse than finding out you've left your toothbrush/deodorant at home.

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    ...double up all your toiletries, so you don't have to raid the bathroom each week. Just keep a toiletries bag in your travel bag with everything you need...
    Along similar lines I'd recommend getting the small travel sizes or those empty 100ml bottles they sell now for air travel.
    Top up at the weekend as required.

:D Alex