closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damasko's new chrono ?

Damasko's new chrono ?

Came across this elsewhere. It seems Konrad is producing a new chrono based on a Lemania 5100, which gives the chrono a full 60 min counter and the usual technology tweeks in the movement which Konrad likes to add. I'm not sure how accurate this information is but maybe Eddie has an idea ?

First impressions , a typical good looking damasko tool watch and having a full 60 min minute timer is a big bonus. Only downside for me is the choice of hand colour , if it was a normal red instead of a in your face fluorescent green/orange option , I'd be stocking up my watch piggy bank fund in anticipation but i might wait to see how it looks when it's finally released before making a final decision.

original text -

Der Fliegerchronograph Damasko DC 86 verfügt über einen zentralen 60-Minuten-Zähler, wie bei dem nicht mehr gebauten Lemania-Kaliber 5100. Konrad Damasko baut das Eta-Basiswerk 7750 selbst auf die neue Anzeigeform um. Zudem ersetzt er die konventionelle Hemmung und Spiralfeder durch leichtere und unmagnetische Teile aus Silizium und baut eine rückerfreie Feinregulierung ein. Diese Maßnahmen sollen für eine höhere Ganggenauigkeit und dank schmierfreier Hemmung auch für längere Wartungsintervalle sorgen.
    Zur besseren Ablesbarkeit sind die Chronographenzeiger in Grün oder Orange gekennzeichnet. Das Gehäuse besteht aus nickelfreiem Edelstahl und wurde eisgehärtet sowie besonders beschichtet. Dadurch wird es fast so kratzfest wie das Saphirdeckglas. Die DC 86 soll Anfang 2012 auf den Markt kommen; der Preis steht noch nicht fest. jk

google translated -

The Chronograph Damasko DC 86 has a central 60-minute counter, as in the not-built-caliber Lemania 5100th Konrad Damasko builds the base movement ETA 7750 self-adjusts to the new display form.He also replaces the conventional suspension and coil spring with lighter parts and non-magnetic silicon and builds a fine adjustment-free refund. These measures are intended to provide higher accuracy and also due to inhibition of free lubricant for longer service intervals.
    For better readability of the chronograph hands are in green or orange marked. The housing is made ??of nickel-free stainless steel and specialty steel and has been specially coated. This makes it almost as scratch resistant as sapphire glass cover. The DC 86 is the beginning of 2012 hit the market, the price is not fixed yet. jk

Damasko's new chrono ?

I think it's a winner. A great no-nonsense design and hi-tech materials. What's not to like?

Well, the price, most probably.

Edit: It's based on the 7750, not the Lemania.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Damasko's new chrono ?

I'm in 8) (subject to pricing, of course).

I really like that, doubt I'll like the price though.

:shock: :shock:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

that green doesn't work for me either, they should have stuck with using yellow or red.

the bigger issue that i have with the design choices is that i didn't think that the bezel pip or the 12 marker should be colored. it doesn't make the watch more legible or functional; those highlights are primarily ornamental...something which is out-of-place for a brand that prides itself on turning out technically correct and aesthetically functional timepieces.

Master

I'm a big fan of L5100 style (incl the quartz ETA 251.262 equivalent) centre sweep chrono minute hand movements. I particularly like the combination of the very readable chrono, with the 12 hour bezel - which should make it useful for business/travel when checking time offsets in other timezones. if they've managed to find a way to make the hour hand quickset, I'd say it was the perfect all-round watch.

Don't like the green chrono hands, though. Red/orange, and lumed would be good.

Funds permitting, I'd be up for one.

Blog Entries

Nasty :roll: that colour combo makes it look like a cheap,tacky 5100 wanabee,no doubt Mr Damasko will produce his usual fine engineering skills but needs a new design especially those hands :shock:
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Banned

Great idea, but why does he spoil the designs with green or red details. I agree that yellow would be great.

Master
    Blog Entries

According to a WUS post it will also be available with orange markers.

You need some colour contrast otherwise it would be so busy as to be unreadable. Green, being the colour of bogies, wouldn't be my top choice. I'd be interested in an orange one though.

Apart from the colour choice, that looks good. Hopefully it will be available in a less garish version.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Very interesting, it'll be interesting to see how this compares to the Sinn movement based on the 7750 which will also have a Lemania layout.

I like the design a lot, although I probably would not be able to live with the green option.
    Gray

I still cannot bring myself to buy a Damasko due to the lack of bracelet option.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s
    Very interesting, it'll be interesting to see how this compares to the Sinn movement based on the 7750 which will also have a Lemania layout.
    Very true, the 757 is a great compromise at present but these two options will be ery interesting.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx
    I still cannot bring myself to buy a Damasko due to the lack of bracelet option.
    +1
    I also agree that the green makes the watch look tacky and cheap. A solid red would have sufficed.

Master

:shock: Wow. At long last he seems to have taken on board the criticism of the flawed minute counter on their existing chronographs by replacing it with the optimum option of a central 60 minutes counter. For a watch that is supposed to be a properly usefull tool chronograph :salute: . The rest of it though, green its really awful. What was wrong with the way they already did running seconds ? I thought it was one of the nicest things on the Damasko chronos. Does anyone really want or nead the 24hr counter ? and it always looked better the way Omega did it originally with the little triangular pointer. In principle it only needs to indicate which 12hrs your'e in anyway.

Konrad if your'e going down this route just start from the layout used on the Tutima Commando and think long and hard about if it really needs anything more than that on the dial.

To sum up I would:
    1) No colour on the bezel, its not needed so has no place on a watch like this IMHO.
    2) Orange or Red chronograph hands.
    3) Running seconds in the style Damasko had already established.
    4) Replace the 24hr counter with a simple am/pm disk or similar minimalist display or consider not having it all.
    5) Please if this is supposed to be a pilots/tool/mil type thing give a countdown bezel option.

Master

That looks great, even with the green. I'd be interested to see the orange too. But the general design and layout make it one of the few chronos that take my fancy.

Banned

I like all Damasko models but that looks shyte .

I very recently bought a DC67. This announcement could well have made me very, very jealous. Luckily,it doesn't one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    I like all Damasko models but that looks shyte .
    Go on. Say what you really feel!

I just dont like that colour.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    5) Please if this is supposed to be a pilots/tool/mil type thing give a countdown bezel option.
    Why? In my current pilots training I find it better to have a count up bezel.

Master

Depends on what your'e doing I guess but most of the times I see in avionics are countdowns, simple example you fly out somewhere get on station and fuel burn calcs tell you you have X minutes to go before you have to return to get back. I guess bybandie your'e timing each leg to see if your'e on plan?

Anyways it would be nice to have both as options.

Master

8) like the green

I dont mind the green but the orangy red one on their website looks much better. I would like to see all counters and hands in white apart from the central minutes which should have the contrasting colour. Most important though is the central seconds, best readability for a chrono. 8) Bet I wont like the price though. :(

Quote Originally Posted by zippy

original text -

Der Fliegerchronograph Damasko DC 86 verfügt über einen zentralen 60-Minuten-Zähler, wie bei dem nicht mehr gebauten Lemania-Kaliber 5100. Konrad Damasko baut das Eta-Basiswerk 7750 selbst auf die neue Anzeigeform um. Zudem ersetzt er die konventionelle Hemmung und Spiralfeder durch leichtere und unmagnetische Teile aus Silizium und baut eine rückerfreie Feinregulierung ein. Diese Maßnahmen sollen für eine höhere Ganggenauigkeit und dank schmierfreier Hemmung auch für längere Wartungsintervalle sorgen.
    Zur besseren Ablesbarkeit sind die Chronographenzeiger in Grün oder Orange gekennzeichnet. Das Gehäuse besteht aus nickelfreiem Edelstahl und wurde eisgehärtet sowie besonders beschichtet. Dadurch wird es fast so kratzfest wie das Saphirdeckglas. Die DC 86 soll Anfang 2012 auf den Markt kommen; der Preis steht noch nicht fest. jk
    Human-translated: The aviation chronograph Damasko DC86 has a central 60-minutes counter like the out-of-production Lemania-calibre 5100. Konrad Damasko is converting the ETA movement 7750 to the new display layout himself. Additionally he is replacing the conventional balance and hairspring with lighter and non-magnetic parts made from silicium, and he is installing a fine regulator without regulator finger. These mesures should provide better accuracy and thanks to the lubrication-free escapement also longer service intervals.
    For better readability the chronograph hands are painted green or orange. The case is made from nickel-free stainless steel, which has been ice-hardened and specially coated resulting in a case almost as scratch-resistant as sapphire. DC86 should be available from 2012, the pricing is not yet announced.

For my part, I wonder how the chrono minute counter has been designed. Merely connecting the normal minute subdial to the center minute counter seems a bit adventurous, I'm not sure that the click-spring will be able to hold the big hand in place when shaken.

The balance seems yummy - I can't really recognise from the original text if it is just some kind of screw-regulation (with a normal regulator, like the 5100), or if it is a freesprung balance (the weights I have seen on it elsewhere seem to suggest this).

I don't think I'd go for it quite yet, at least not until it has been on the market for a while and it is certain that it really works as it should.

As much as I'm a Damasko fan, I couldn't live with that green.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned

Depends on what your'e doing I guess but most of the times I see in avionics are countdowns, simple example you fly out somewhere get on station and fuel burn calcs tell you you have X minutes to go before you have to return to get back. I guess bybandie your'e timing each leg to see if your'e on plan?

Anyways it would be nice to have both as options.
    I can understand the use for divers, but what you're talking about is catered for using a stopwatch though certainly in the RAF. I use the bezel to time takeoff time, and the chrono is used to time anything else. That may well change as I progress, but for a normal pilot I don't see the need as much I would if I were a diver. That may be the reason why elapsed time bezels are predominant in pilots chronos?

Master

Like I said in avionics a lot of the times of interest are countdowns, same for distance. Of course you can time either way that is a given. I honestly don't know why you have picked an argument on this, look at any Nav system and you see countdowns. Its the job of the aircrafts nav avionics to tell the crew if they can make the plan, get back to base etc. or neither. Breitling tend to use countdown bezels on watches such as the B-1, skyracer as well I believe.

Like I said it would be nice to see the option, maybe its not of interest to you on your PPL but hell what do I know, sat in the office each week working on aircraft avionics for a living :roll: .

Banned

Like I said in avionics a lot of the times of interest are countdowns, same for distance. Of course you can time either way that is a given. I honestly don't know why you have picked an argument on this, look at any Nav system and you see countdowns. Its the job of the aircrafts nav avionics to tell the crew if they can make the plan, get back to base etc. or neither. Breitling tend to use countdown bezels on watches such as the B-1, skyracer as well I believe.

Like I said it would be nice to see the option, maybe its not of interest to you on your PPL but hell what do I know, sat in the office each week working on aircraft avionics for a living :roll: .
    I'm genuinely not picking an argument, I just can't see the necessity and I've seen a few different threads on different fora bemoan the lack of countdown bezels with no real justification on the web for them.

As I said, it may well be the case that I see the need for them later on in private flight. It may well also be the case that it's required for most pilot activities, and I've not seen it yet; therefore yes I may bemoan the lack of it. Sounds like a great excuse for another watch either way though! ;)

Master

On the rare occasions that I fly cross country, the CD bezel would be useful to calculate time to turning points; the chrono does elapsed times...

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac

For my part, I wonder how the chrono minute counter has been designed. Merely connecting the normal minute subdial to the center minute counter seems a bit adventurous, I'm not sure that the click-spring will be able to hold the big hand in place when shaken.
    When you think about it, all you have to do is have a system of locking the minute chrono hand to the normal minute hand plus a method of disengagment and return. It will be interesting to see how they have done it. In the Lemania it is directly driven, one of the reasons for its reputed robustness.

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac

When you think about it, all you have to do is have a system of locking the minute chrono hand to the normal minute hand plus a method of disengagment and return. It will be interesting to see how they have done it. In the Lemania it is directly driven, one of the reasons for its reputed robustness.
    Quite, that's how it should be, however that would involve quite a bit of modification. I never had a proper look into 7750, but I could imagine that there's hardly any room for a clutch, reset cam and hammer (which would probably also need to be routed through somehow). Kudos if that's how they did it, but it's so great a modification that I suspect they might have picked the easier (and possibly not quite adequate) way. If anyone has any info on this, I'd appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Silence from Eddie............ :)
    That new movement is a winner, the test in a German magazine was very positive, only minus (if you can call it a minus in a tool-watch) was the lack of some decoration.
    The tri-compax lay-out is IMHO more pleasing for the eye, and I suspect the final product will look slightly different (read better).

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    That new movement is a winner, the test in a German magazine was very positive, only minus (if you can call it a minus in a tool-watch) was the lack of some decoration.
    The tri-compax lay-out is IMHO more pleasing for the eye, and I suspect the final product will look slightly different (read better).

Daddel.
    Daddel, are you referring to the A35 movement in the new 3 hand model (DK10)?

:(

Is this article online?

I would not consider that a minus. In fact, since it is so easy to buy a highly decorated pile of, I'd prefer only decoration to be the traces of some precision machining (like you get on vintage Seikos, I'm getting hooked here).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phil h

Daddel.
    Daddel, are you referring to the A35 movement in the new 3 hand model (DK10)?
    No, it was the chrono they tested.
    And, Horrovac, I don't think it's on-line, it's still the current edition I believe.

I'm quite happy with my five (easy :D ) pieces as it is, but I'd love to try that new three-hand movement.
    So if the black version ever turns-up, I'd like to strike a deal ans test it.
    The timekeeping of both these movements seems to be remarkable!

Daddel.

Daddel, it would be kind to update the thread if and when the reviews are online.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Daddel, it would be kind to update the thread if and when the reviews are online.

Cheers.
    Damasko DC 66 Si
    Dieses Heft ist bis zum 26.08.2011 am Kiosk erhältlich. „Vorzüge: kratzfestes Gehäuse; innovative Spiralfeder und Hemmung aus Silizium; gutes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis.
    Nachteile: scharfkantiger Drehring; kaum verziertes Werk.“

:D :D

You have to buy it, it isn't on-line I'm afraid.

Daddel.

Ahhh, Vielen dank anyway!

Hi

Normally reserved with any negative comments, but agree with most of the comments:

Cheap and nasty looking
    No bracelet

Regardless of the inner tweaks and case hardening etc... its still a lemon.

Thanks
    deano

Master

Highlights in yellow or orange and on a black rubber strap with deployment I think it would look fantastic......and it's black :)

Saw these pics over on WUS of the orange version. I could just about live with it on the hands but on the dial as well , no thanks. Pity, looks like potentially a really good tool chrono is going to be wasted by a few OTT colours.

Craftsman

not something I'd usually go for but I honestly really like it, even with that green. I'd buy either which I've never considered of Damasko before but I think the only thing holding me back will be the lack of a bracelet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    Saw these pics over on WUS of the orange version. I could just about live with it on the hands but on the dial as well , no thanks. Pity, looks like potentially a really good tool chrono is going to be wasted by a few OTT colours.

I really REALLY like that.........I'll start saving :D

Other central minute chronos without the Lemania:

A Montblanc (who would have thought):

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 8997&rid=0

And Habring, an Austrian watchmaker...

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.