closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI omega and rolex price hikes

FYI omega and rolex price hikes

FYI omega price increase happened yesterday in the uk at approximately 8% across the range, does anyone know if JLC etc will be following. I have heard also that there is another Rolex increase about to land as when ordering from suppliers i cant get a price for any watch to order which is a telling sign.

does anyone know any more news?

regards
    james

Journeyman

Re: FYI omega and rolex price hikes

Talk is 1st October for a 10% Rolex rise, it had been previous said it would be early September

yeah that would make sense, although calling our dealer on some GMTIIs he couldnt fix the price as rolex wouldnt give it him.

waiting on those is 10 on fresh orders weeks so i assume that would cross the increase line..

Quote Originally Posted by RO-LEX
    Talk is 1st October for a 10% Rolex rise, it had been previous said it would be early September
    So are we now talking £4620 for a 14060? £7777 for a DSSD?! That would make over £1000 on the retail of the 14060!

Does the Omega rise put the Speedy Pro up to £2900?

Grand Master

Omega and Rolex can charge what the hell they like for me; I`ve no intention of buying either again. I own a few nice ones, all bought second hand. Since the last 2 price rises I stopped looking in the shops because the prices have now gone crazy. 5 years ago buying a new (or nearly new) Rolex was an aspiration; nowadays I see it as an act of madness.

The term 'kings new clothes' is applicable to both Rolex and Omega; after all, how much should a mechanical wrist watch, albeit a very high quality one, cost?

A few years ago I could get pleasure out of wearing a nice £2.5K Rolex watch; now that the same item costs £5K I`m starting to feel embarassed in case anyone thinks I`m daft enough to have just bought it new :(

Basically, I`m out. I`m not even sure I want to keep wearing a Rolex anymore.

Paul

Master

The UK is just playing catchup with the rest of the world, still the one of the cheapest places to buy a new rolex. If you think its expensive now you have another thing coming...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    The UK is just playing catchup with the rest of the world, still the one of the cheapest places to buy a new rolex. If you think its expensive now you have another thing coming...
    Agreed, as I stated a few times before a price increase is due as the new EXPII model is being launched - the GMTIIc is a little more expensive in the product range in every other country - so it has to go up to cover that discrepancy.

The UK has been one of the cheapest places to buy for a long time - around 10 years ago South Africa was cheap - now it's the UK - but this next round of increases should even things up a little.

Out of interest what were the Omega prices for say:

Ploprof
    SMP300
    Planet Ocean
    Aqua-Terra

It is easy enough to work out the prices for the Rolex models - you just use any other countries prices and against their list price for the new 2011 Explorer II and add or subtract the percentage difference and you won't go too far wrong.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Omega and Rolex can charge what the hell they like for me; I`ve no intention of buying either again. I own a few nice ones, all bought second hand. Since the last 2 price rises I stopped looking in the shops because the prices have now gone crazy. 5 years ago buying a new (or nearly new) Rolex was an aspiration; nowadays I see it as an act of madness.

The term 'kings new clothes' is applicable to both Rolex and Omega; after all, how much should a mechanical wrist watch, albeit a very high quality one, cost?

A few years ago I could get pleasure out of wearing a nice £2.5K Rolex watch; now that the same item costs £5K I`m starting to feel embarassed in case anyone thinks I`m daft enough to have just bought it new :(

Paul
    I agree Paul, i've never been in a position to buy new anyway and to be honest don't think I would even if I could. 2nd hand offers much more value. I much prefer the SD over the DSSD anyway :lol:

The embarrassment factor is one of the reasons I wear my sub on a NATO, much more understated, that said if i'm spending time making my Sub understated, why not just buy a Steinhart?!

Paul
    I have to say that while the UK is playing catchup with the rest of the world (didn't know that) I too am out for buying new. I have in the past bought Chopard, Tag Heuer and iirc Omega brand new. I could afford them and loved the brand new shiny shiny make it better buzz. I had no intention of selling them of course. Then my circumstances changed (of course) and I sold them to keep me afloat. Now though even with a reserve of money I wouldn't buy them second hand or new. As the new price rises the used price follows suit (of course). I'm out on those brands for the moment at least. It's unlikely I accept but I'm waiting until the bubble bursts or at least makes a farting sound and deflates a little. How much for a brand new Tag Heuer? How much for an Omega Seamaster? I think not.

Andy

Journeyman

this raise was discussed in some spanish forums, but the result ended to be that Rolex didn´t raise the 10% announced...but looks like they will

anyhow, i do not see a burst at all in the future, and i only see that if prices increase 10% each year...so will the secondhand prices, and so on...

this means that a Rolex with a retail price of 6,000 will cost Eur or GBP, doesn´t matter 10% is the same in both :lol:
    2012 6,600
    2013 7,320
    2014 8,050 .....stunning....

so who will be able to afford that? only in second hand...absolutely, or by greater discounts in jewelery Retail prices...

second hand is going to increase in the next couple of years, and of course, prices in second hand then will be sustainable in the future...

just my opinion....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by indejaus
    this raise was discussed in some spanish forums, but the result ended to be that Rolex didn´t raise the 10% announced...but looks like they will

anyhow, i do not see a burst at all in the future, and i only see that if prices increase 10% each year...so will the secondhand prices, and so on...

this means that a Rolex with a retail price of 6,000 will cost Eur or GBP, doesn´t matter 10% is the same in both :lol:
    2012 6,600
    2013 7,320
    2014 8,050 .....stunning....

so who will be able to afford that? only in second hand...absolutely, or by greater discounts in jewelery Retail prices...

second hand is going to increase in the next couple of years, and of course, prices in second hand then will be sustainable in the future...

just my opinion....
    Yours maths make sense, the dealers try to get people into watches offering great discounts and % free credit, but surprisingly people still buy brand new Rolex day in day out, but more interesting is how many buy a brand new £5-6K upwards watch only to flip them 6-7 months down the line, personal reasons dictate ownership of these expensive time pieces,

you then have to factor in disposable income, sustainability on a budget some people have realistically £10 per month spare, some have £1000 per month spare after bill's, getting a wedge of money to invest in a watch is not going to work if at some time you have to release it before it financially peaks , as always cash is King. be Liquid

Craftsman

Paul
    +1000

Although I still love the look and feel of the Sub and GMT, it's just become ridiculous (especially in light of my take home pay). And buying second hand isn't a panacea either considering the rise in cost of RSC work. All of the sudden I feel very poor. :(

Craftsman

So the price has doubled in 4 years?

Paul
    could not have said it better,I don't mind paying extra for increase in costs but when the increase is so clearly meant to only add a sense of prestige,it is like you say, getting to the point where I would be embarassed to be seem wearing one,glad I have gone for a vintage Omega.

so a ss daytona will cost over £8000 before xmas ? think 2 yrs ago they were £5700 approx,
    surely in 2013 they wont be over £10k ?? will they
    its getting crazy

andy

interesting what will happen to the prices if swiss franc rate go down let's say 10%?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds
    interesting what will happen to the prices if swiss franc rate go down let's say 10%?

Prices go up instantly, they do not come back down, what you will find is that they won't rise again for a while and allow inflation to catch up.

Once they increase it, that's it, i've never seen any watch come down in value from any of the bigger brands.

Prices will never go down :(
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977

Once they increase it, that's it, i've never seen any watch come down in value from any of the bigger brands.
    I was told at our local Zenith dealer, that Zenith dropped prices at the beginning of this year. Don't know whether it was local phenomenon or global.

I was told at our local Zenith dealer, that Zenith dropped prices at the beginning of this year. Don't know whether it was local phenomenon or global.
    They ain't Rolex - who never drop them.

As for Omega, they are trying to emulate.........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

Has anyone ever paid retail for a Zenith, you see the retail prices and then the secondhand prices, it's about a third :lol:

Girard Perregaux, Chopard, Zenith and a few others could drop their price by 40% without anyone really noticing, as that's usually the discount the AD would give to sell them.

Grand Master

Paul
    After a few glasses of wine and a couple of beers I`ve just re-read my own comments......and I still agree with every word!

Maybe I`m losing the plot, but I`m actually getting LESS pleasure out of wearing Rolex watches with every successive price rise. In the past, Rolex stood for a combination of prestige and good taste at a price that people could aspire to as a 'one-off' lifetime purchase; the price rises over the last 3 years have changed all that IMO.

Maybe I`ll wait a few months until the second-hand prices have risen in line with the new stuff, then I`ll put the lot on SC; 2 Datejusts, a 166610 Sub Date and an Explorer 1.

Paul

That's why I've ordered and fixed the prices on two Rolexes in the last week. :mrgreen:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    That's why I've ordered and fixed the prices on two Rolexes in the last week. :mrgreen:
    I bet your local AD is rubbing his hands!

There are beter things to do with the money thesedays; Rolex prices = madness.

Paul

I've just started wearing my Sub LV again, having experienced the same feelings of embarrassment mentioned by other posters. Sorry but £3k was too much when I bought it new 3.5 years ago, nice though it is. With the cost of replacement/service/repair I'd started wearing Seiko and Casio as I just couldn't see the point risking damage to such an expensive item. My kids jump on me all the time, and I work in a slightly dodgy environment for what now amounts to fancy jewellery!
    It I a relief that I find the new models completely hideous, lots of shiny surfaces and heavier bracelets, negligible 'improvements' to bezel inserts and clasps at massive expense seem to be the order of the day. I still like my Sub because it isn't particularly flash, and the knowledge that they don't make them any more means I've decided to keep it and wear it to death!
    However, I no longer peer I'm the windows of jewellers as I'm just not interested in what the new price is - it's just gone nuts and is sheer profiteering. You'll hear all this crap about 'they can sell every watch they make' but jeweller windows seem to be heaving with stock. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is, a Seiko monster is still £119 from creation and there are plenty of £100 Casio watches out there, plus good old Timefactors!

you know it's the wrong watch for you when, instead of wanting people to notice it,and say "nice watch" you go out of your way to hide it,it was like that for me,I would hide my wrist,not because I spent over 3k on a watch but because I spent over 3k on a watch that was no better than a watch I could have bought for 1k and that is what I would expect someone seeing me wearing one would think.at least they hold their value so not all bad,just don't damage it.

Paul
    Like what? I estimate I have made more money on my older Rolex collection than 90% of my investments in the last 3 years.

As for feeling embarrassed about wearing any brand of "decent" watch then :lol: get over it or sell up and buy what you like.

My first house cost oh what was it - oh yes less than a years current salary - but guess what, they cost more now - that is what is known as inflation. It may be a concept but it is real and it is happening, either accept it or try and get into an asylum or sign on for DHSS benefits.

I don't know why people get hung up about certain brands - anyone want to give me the price rises for Grand Seiko :D or anything else competing in a competitive manufacturing environment these days? I understand the most competitive Chinese electronics company made a huge multi-million loss over the last few years in efforts to secure future business whilst large numbers of their workers died on the job! I know where I'm happier spending my money - but hey be happy with your Iphone! :evil:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jegger
    you know it's the wrong watch for you when, instead of wanting people to notice it,and say "nice watch" you go out of your way to hide it,it was like that for me,I would hide my wrist,not because I spent over 3k on a watch but because I spent over 3k on a watch that was no better than a watch I could have bought for 1k and that is what I would expect someone seeing me wearing one would think.at least they hold their value so not all bad,just don't damage it.

the most important point for me about any watch i own is that i like it, sod everyone else. justification for wearing a £££ watch is nobody's business but the wearer, oh and the guy trying to steel it from under you.

Look for some a £3K watch is the norm, sorry to be blunt but hey ho

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger

the most important point for me about any watch i own is that i like it, sod everyone else. justification for wearing a £££ watch is nobody's business but the wearer, oh and the guy trying to steel it from under you.

Look for some a £3K watch is the norm, sorry to be blunt but hey ho

Mark
    the point I was making is I would prefer if someone saw I watch I was wearing I would want the comment to be nice watch rather than them only seeing 3-5k on my wrist,if I wanted nice watch comments I think we all know Rolex is not that watch,it might get "is that real" or "you paid how much" but not offen just "nice watch".

Master

I find it interesting how Rolex and Omega are getting bashed for their prices when the likes of Breitling, Cartier, PP, AP, GP, JLC, IWC, VC, Blancpain, Zenith blah blah make them look relatively cheap. Fact is that 'luxury' brands cost money. If you don't accept it then just stick to Seiko (normal ones- Credor and GS are just as expensive) and spend your money on other more important things.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I tend to agree with ichaice.

Prices of all luxury goods are increasing, mainly driven by the "new money" in emerging markets like China, India, Brazil, where new found wealth is buying all the "obvious" brands like louis Vuitton bags, BMW and Porsche, and Rolex!

5 years ago I could go to Hong Kong and get 10-15% on a steel sports Rolex, now they're 10-15% more expensive, because the Chinese are coming there and buying up everything, it is supply and demand. This bubble could potentially burst at some point, will it mean prices fall, unlikely that they will, maybe hold at best.

Bottom line is i love my rolex, surprisingly few people know what it is without looking really close and even then, peoples perception of rolex prices varies greatly, some have reckoned my watch was £8k!

It's a bit like fine art, if you like your watch the value of it shouldn't really matter...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    My first house cost oh what was it - oh yes less than a years current salary - but guess what, they cost more now - that is what is known as inflation.
    [...]
    I don't know why people get hung up about certain brands - anyone want to give me the price rises for Grand Seiko :D or anything else competing in a competitive manufacturing environment these days?
    I think the issue is that the rate of inflation of luxury watches (particularly from the hughest profile brands such as Rolex and Omega) is massively and ridiculously outpacing the rate of inflation in the economy at large. This makes them stand out; it makes them appear absurd to most people.

Sure, other manufacturers are doing it too but it is nevertheless Rolex and similar who stand out the most because they have the greatest popularity, recognition (in both WISs and non-WISs) and 'strength of desire'/aspirational qualitiies. It leads people, more than ever, to question: Are these watches worth the price tag?

Also I don't think it's true to say that luxury watches are competing in a "competitive manufacturing environment". Manufacturing and other production costs clearly have little to do with Rolex or other luxury brand retail prices. In fact it is clear that Rolex are competing solely in the 'prestige-through-price' market. They are using their high prices, historic image and perception of high quality to justify yet higher prices. Price is used to justify price.

Now then, I am not criticising any of this. It is quite right and proper that a manufacturer should charge what he market will bear, even if it appears absurd (in the context of local inflation and comparative prices) to some of its (former) customers and wouldbe customers! The fact is that even if not all Rolex stock is selling in the UK (which now appears to be the case), they can sell all they can ship to the far east at these prices (and higher to come). This won't last forever but they, Rolex, are enjoying it for now.

But none of this makes the retail prices and far-above-local-inflation prices rises any less absurd to the average man in the street (or even the average WIS) who might once have been able to afford a Rolex model (and might have bought one in the past) but who could not possibly afford that same model or equivalent now. It is this part in italics that really matters here: It is this change in relative circumstances that I think is causing people to comment as they are. It is quite reasonable for them to comment in this manner.

If you are a person who can still afford Rolex's retail prices, as many people can, then it might not seem worthy of complaint or comment but, due to the way above general inflation prices rises, an increasing number of people are in the position of being priced out of the market when they were previously in it and this is quite justifiably annoying and frustrating. Rolex will lose sales in the UK as a result of it. But I think they don't care because the far east mops up everything... for now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1
    I find it interesting how Rolex and Omega are getting bashed for their prices when the likes of Breitling, Cartier, PP, AP, GP, JLC, IWC, VC, Blancpain, Zenith blah blah make them look relatively cheap.
    It's not so surprising: In both non-WIS and WIS circles, Rolex have by far the highest recognition. Even amongst WISs, Rolex seems to be the number one aspiration brand. This is why they get the flak.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza
    Prices of all luxury goods are increasing, mainly driven by the "new money" in emerging markets like China, India, Brazil, where new found wealth is buying all the "obvious" brands like louis Vuitton bags, BMW and Porsche, and Rolex!
    Ah yes, I forgot Brazil.

I wonder if, when China fades as it must surely do in time, India and Brazil will continue to keep the pace of sustainable proces rises going such that we in the UK (and most of the rest of the 'west') are increasingly priced out.

Master

All of the price hikes have a knock on effect on the second hand ones of course.

Paul
    Like what? I estimate I have made more money on my older Rolex collection than 90% of my investments in the last 3 years.

As for feeling embarrassed about wearing any brand of "decent" watch then :lol: get over it or sell up and buy what you like.

My first house cost oh what was it - oh yes less than a years current salary - but guess what, they cost more now - that is what is known as inflation. It may be a concept but it is real and it is happening, either accept it or try and get into an asylum or sign on for DHSS benefits.

I don't know why people get hung up about certain brands - anyone want to give me the price rises for Grand Seiko :D or anything else competing in a competitive manufacturing environment these days? I understand the most competitive Chinese electronics company made a huge multi-million loss over the last few years in efforts to secure future business whilst large numbers of their workers died on the job! I know where I'm happier spending my money - but hey be happy with your Iphone! :evil:
    Spot on

Paul
    After a few glasses of wine and a couple of beers I`ve just re-read my own comments......and I still agree with every word!

Maybe I`m losing the plot, but I`m actually getting LESS pleasure out of wearing Rolex watches with every successive price rise. In the past, Rolex stood for a combination of prestige and good taste at a price that people could aspire to as a 'one-off' lifetime purchase; the price rises over the last 3 years have changed all that IMO.

Maybe I`ll wait a few months until the second-hand prices have risen in line with the new stuff, then I`ll put the lot on SC; 2 Datejusts, a 166610 Sub Date and an Explorer 1.

Paul
    I think it depends on the wearer rather than the watch as I feel the opposite. Having said that I always wear a watch that I feel is suitable for the occasion and location. I mostly wear a GMT but sometimes dress up with a day date or dress down to a beater or even nothing at all.

I am never embarrassed to wear any watch but I do take into account other peoples feelings and the security aspect.

Master

The Great Swiss Watch Swindle! What a joke but the UK isn't the key market anymore anyway and so no doubt the prices will just keep going up. We all have a choice, work hard and can spend our money as we please but I for one don't buy it!

Master

we all new it was comming gents but 10% :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    10% on what?

My AD's SMP300's were only £2400 - I thought they were £2300 the other month and the PO was £2700, I thought they were £2650 last month?

PP was £5800 on rubber though :twisted:

I've read all the comments with interest, there's lots of comment in regard to 'prices paid in China' but I'm not living in China so as a Londoner I don't give a monkeys! all I know is that when I started buying Rolex say 15 years ago, sports models were always hard to find at AD's, and the prices seemed to only really increase every year or 18 months by a very small percentage. It was fun buying and selling and I owned pretty much every model over the years and always broke even or made a bit of profit each time. This isn't about how rich you are, but there comes a point when a company is blatantly taking the piss which is why I won't be buying another new Rolex. It's also hard to get excited about new models when the window of your local AD will be stacked high with them within a year of launch. I don't care how much you earn, most people (unless buying something purely as an in your face status symbol) like to get value for money and the spiralling price of luxury watches in general - at least in the UK - is becoming ludicrous IMHO. Let's just say that if I won the lottery I'd still baulk at the prices being asked!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    and the prices seemed to only really increase every year or 18 months by a very small percentage. It was fun buying and selling and I owned pretty much every model over the years and always broke even or made a bit of profit each time.

Did you think this would last forever? Sorry but as has been said before, the UK is still one of the cheapest places to acquire a new Rolex in the world.

If you want to make money, bet on something else.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    10% on what?

My AD's SMP300's were only £2400 - I thought they were £2300 the other month and the PO was £2700, I thought they were £2650 last month?

PP was £5800 on rubber though :twisted:
    I went to lakeside shopping centre today and prices had not gone up yet.

[/quote]I went to lakeside shopping centre today and prices had not gone up yet.[/quote]
    Ditto in Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    and the prices seemed to only really increase every year or 18 months by a very small percentage. It was fun buying and selling and I owned pretty much every model over the years and always broke even or made a bit of profit each time.

Did you think this would last forever? Sorry but as has been said before, the UK is still one of the cheapest places to acquire a new Rolex in the world.

If you want to make money, bet on something else.
    I never did it to make money, it was a fun hobby. It is too expensive now so I will keep what I have and move on. Bit of a shame though but there you go.

Master

Pre credit crunch GBP/CHF = 2.5
    current GBP/CHF = 1.28

Do people expect Rolex to sell their watches for a loss? The CHF has appreciated by a ridiculous amount over the last 4 years, hence all the price rises. Simples!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye
    Pre credit crunch GBP/CHF = 2.5
    current GBP/CHF = 1.28

Do people expect Rolex to sell their watches for a loss? The CHF has appreciated by a ridiculous amount over the last 4 years, hence all the price rises. Simples!
    From time to time I've seen Omega Speedmasters and the occasional DJ (since the thread refers to those two brands) on the wrists of people who don't earn huge amounts of money. To buy either of those now, the average income earner now needs to spend well over a month's salary, if not two. Will people keep extending their personal credit en masse, indebting themselves still further, or will the buying eventually slow down?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Personally I would say anyone who borrows money to buy an expensive watch is a little on the daft side anyway so I expect they will carry on doing it regardless of price.

I've just started wearing my Sub LV again, having experienced the same feelings of embarrassment mentioned by other posters. Sorry but £3k was too much when I bought it new 3.5 years ago, nice though it is. With the cost of replacement/service/repair I'd started wearing Seiko and Casio as I just couldn't see the point risking damage to such an expensive item. My kids jump on me all the time, and I work in a slightly dodgy environment for what now amounts to fancy jewellery!
    It I a relief that I find the new models completely hideous, lots of shiny surfaces and heavier bracelets, negligible 'improvements' to bezel inserts and clasps at massive expense seem to be the order of the day. I still like my Sub because it isn't particularly flash, and the knowledge that they don't make them any more means I've decided to keep it and wear it to death!
    However, I no longer peer I'm the windows of jewellers as I'm just not interested in what the new price is - it's just gone nuts and is sheer profiteering. You'll hear all this crap about 'they can sell every watch they make' but jeweller windows seem to be heaving with stock. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is, a Seiko monster is still £119 from creation and there are plenty of £100 Casio watches out there, plus good old Timefactors!
    I must be RobDad's doppelgänger - same watch (non LV), same period of ownership, same dislike of new Rolex models, same disinterest in another new purchase and increasingly wearing TimeFactors' watches. I now "save" wearing the Sub for special occasions, such as tonight's Fireworks Concert at Edinburgh's Castle.

However the only thing I do disagree about is that Rolex and Omega will continue to sell regardless of price increases. They are aspirational brands, rewards for achievement, markers of life's important milestones and there are many who see spending £6-9K as easy to cope with as others have no difficulty buying their weekly shop from Tesco.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Some good points - the exchange rate again being the most obvious.

The issue for most is these are aspirational items - they are luxuries - they are not the "now the average man in the street can't afford one" type things that we should ever worry about - if the average man in the street bought most of these items people would not have bought them - the brands would not have developed as they have etc.

While I see a lot of people of here with expensive watches etc. this is not my average walk round the supermarket - or night out in a pub/restaurant etc.

Most people would never have paid the prices of these watches when they were at prices we look back on as bargains (and of course they and most of us never did either!).

They cost what they cost - buy them are don't - I like them and if they launch a model I like then I guess it is possibly I will aspire to own it.

A new watch purchase for me would be a treat/recognition for something - but a lot of my used purchases are because I simply love the watch and believe the price is good/good enough.

I would never feel embarrassed by owning/'wearing any of my watches.