closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some nice boot sale finds....

Some nice boot sale finds....

JohnBaz asked me to put up some of my boot sale finds on my other thread but rather than cause a mishmash I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for anyone interested.

I expect Bong will want to join in.. :wink:

Anyway, I have picked up literally hundreds of interesting old watches over many years but here are some of the most memorable ones.

A fairly recent find was this rare Precista diver sans bezel that I bought for £1.

A mil collector prised it off of me in the end as/is for £500. :)

I think my favourite find of all was this lovely all original 1946 IWC calibre 88 but that was £3.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz

Do you still have that gorgeous Weems????

John :)
    Of course John.. :)

I never wear it of course.

It is the Longines version

I think I have found most makes of vintage watch at boot sales over many years, even a Rolex, well a Unicorn anyway. :wink:

The excitement of going out early morning hoping to unearth a gem is what keeps us foragers going and although good finds nowadays are becoming rarer and rarer (when I started there was no internet) an occasional find is all the sweeter.

It is much more involving than just clicking on something and paying IMO and of course you pick up a lot of information/education along the way.

Nearly forgot, this Autavia was found at a boot sale just before I got there.

I believe the finder paid somewhere between a fiver and £25 for it but a quickly brandished ton bought it into my possession. :wink:

Well there are some of my finds.

So let's see what you have found... :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Re: Some nice boot sale finds....

I found a 1975 Top of the Pops compilation album, half of what might have been a decent leather watch strap and an ugly toby jug which smells a bit odd. Nothing at our local car boot comes even close to your finds!

Good work, you put the time in so you deserve some luck.

Best thing I ever got from a boot sale was a freakin' hot dog :lol:

Master

Don't usually have much luck at carboot sales watch wise. All the watches I see are either overpriced, tat, or overpriced tat. But I do occasionally do quite well at flea markets and charity shops.

Flea market buys:

This 1970s Edox:

This 1960s Citizen Newmaster:

And lastly this 1970s Helvetia Prestige:

Charity shop buys:

1972 Bulova Ambassador:

1970s Buler Supernova:

Also, several miscellaneous ladies watches from various makers. But I can't be bothered to post them.

Nice finds Neil and as previously mentioned you put the time in therefore deserve the rewards.

That Autavia is a stunner regardless of what it cost!

:D

Master

I really like that IWC, Neil :thumbright:

My boot sale finds.......

Some nice finds there Smouty. :)

I've had a Bulova Ambassador and a Citizen Newmaster both good pieces.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Heeeeere's Johnny :twisted:

Best bootsale (well, watch anyway :wink: ) find among many over the years for me, was this 40's P478 Jeager LeCoultre on the left of the group shot....

£1, I kid you not :D Well, it did have a broken strap, as the seller so kindly pointed out. Reluctantly sold to a JLC collector, but embarasment prevents me from saying any more :wink:

Where's Foggy?

Where's Foggy?
    You called ? :lol:

I imagine everyone is very bored of my most famous find by now - a 1963 GMT-Master, bought for a score

Cheers

Foggy

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    I imagine everyone is very bored of my most famous find by now - a 1963 GMT-Master, bought for a score
    :love10:

Wow! Any predictions for the lottery numbers next weekend?

Where's Foggy?

Cheers

Foggy

Hang on - a score? I'm not sure what that is, but I suspect twenty pounds? For real?

Master

My god. You lot must have eye's like s*** house rats. Either that or I need to get my eyes checked.

Some brilliant finds.

This also came via a house clearance guy I met through the boot sales. Cost me low hundreds, including restoration, but well worth it.

Cheers

Foggy

ps yes, the GMT really was £20. On a table, mixed in with a load of quartz tat, and the odd manaual wind Vostok. On the original bracelet (broken). I can only think it came from a house clearance and the guy assumed it was a copy. When I bought it, I was 99% sure it was real in my heart but my head was saying it can't be, not for £20. The drive home, with the watch, waiting to get hold of my Rolex case opener, so I could check the movement, felt like the longest half an hour of my life.

ps yes, the GMT really was £20. On a table, mixed in with a load of quartz tat, and the odd manaual wind Vostok. On the original bracelet (broken). I can only think it came from a house clearance and the guy assumed it was a copy. When I bought it, I was 99% sure it was real in my heart but my head was saying it can't be, not for £20. The drive home, with the watch, waiting to get hold of my Rolex case opener, so I could check the movement, felt like the longest half an hour of my life.

Boot sale find of the century :D

Boot sale find of the century
    Thanks. I'll never benefit financially from the find, as it'll never be sold all the time I'm alive & kicking.

I'll tell you one thing though - money can't buy the grin I get everytime I wear this watch :lol:

It represents one of the reasons why I get up at 5am every weekend day of the year to hit the boot sales - the finds, whilst much thinner on the ground these days, are still out there.

Cheers

Foggy

Where's Foggy?

Cheers

Foggy
    Always make me smile Ian :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Foggy

that is amazing.

There used to be a great car boot sale near, i bought a Technics SLBD-22 turntable for £5- it was retailing for over £220 at the time! Unfortunately nothing watch related though.

Maestro....

Had a similar feeling with my JLC, but if it'd been that GMT I reckon I'd have just floated off :lol: Imagine if that green light had turned to red, a 30 second delay no matter how early you were would've had someone else's claw descend upon it for sure :shock: It was obviously fate, not to mention a bit of luck!

I for one won't tire of seeing this tale.

You are indeed....Legend :drunken: I prostrate myself.

Imagine if that green light had turned to red, a 30 second delay no matter how early you were would've had someone else's claw descend upon it for sure
    And that's another strange part of the tale. We'd all got there as usual, at 6am, and done the usual frantic early searches. We'd been round four or five times and picked up what seemed to be there. We'd had the normal chat around tea to share our finds - pretty slim pickings that day. It had got to about 9:30 and the group started to say their farewells and disappear home, as usual.

By now it was about 10am, and the sun was out, so I decided to do one last leisurely lap. By this stage, I wasn't even considering finding any watches, as they would have been hoovered up between us all by now. I was just in general browsing mode.

And then, on a table about 20 feet away, I caught glimpse of the pepsi bezel out of the corner of my eye.

The rest, as they say, is history................

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Where's Foggy?

Cheers

Foggy

Hang on - a score? I'm not sure what that is, but I suspect twenty pounds? For real?
    That is just brilliant, what a stroke of luck, wonder how many people looked at it before you and thought it was fake.

Where's Foggy?

Cheers

Foggy

Magnificent. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

That GMT is a wonderful find.

The best part for me is that it went to someone who enjoys it for the bargain it is, and not someone who immediately sold it for profit.

I think going to car boots might be a good use of my time.

Boot sale find of the century
    Thanks. I'll never benefit financially from the find, as it'll never be sold all the time I'm alive & kicking.

I'll tell you one thing though - money can't buy the grin I get everytime I wear this watch :lol:

It represents one of the reasons why I get up at 5am every weekend day of the year to hit the boot sales - the finds, whilst much thinner on the ground these days, are still out there.

Cheers

Foggy
    Yep, whilst I cannot compete with that amazing find the pleasure I get from wearing some of the bargins I do find is much greater than wearing some watches that I have spent loads of money on. Though objectively one watch may be superior to another but if I've overpaid for it's always in the back of my mind and spoils the pleasure a bit. But that's just me.

regards

siggy

Unbelievable that rolex... Load of old tat where I go...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    I found a 1975 Top of the Pops compilation album,
    Dont overlook these early Top of the Pops type LP's, some are collectable, as
    they feature unknown session singers, like Elton John, and Rod Stewart..... :lol:

I've picked up one or two nice items at the boot sales over the years. I think my best find to date has been this nice little ladies Zenith for £2. Lynn loves it. :)

My dad picked up this nice little camera for me for a similar figure too :) :)

Sadly most boot sales sellers seem to have discovered eBay and over the last year or so all I've seen has been complete tat that they can't get rid of on the bay. :x
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Bought this recently, here in Germany after another guy had put it back down, as it wasn´t working and the Lady wanted €7 for it.

I bought a Laco B Uhr in original box, unworn about 12 years ago, for 20 DM, which is about € 10 in today´s money. Still doesn´t beat foggy´s amazing find, but still brought a smile to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by siggy

... the pleasure I get from wearing some of the bargins I do find is much greater than wearing some watches that I have spent loads of money on. Though objectively one watch may be superior to another but if I've overpaid for it's always in the back of my mind and spoils the pleasure a bit. But that's just me.
    Agreed.

There is nothing like the pleasure of strutting around whilst wearing a quality watch that has cost you pennies.

It smells of victory! :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm glad to see you're still turning up gems after all these years Neil... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    Bought this recently, here in Germany after another guy had put it back down, as it wasn´t working and the Lady wanted €7 for it.

I bought a Laco B Uhr in original box, unworn about 12 years ago, for 20 DM, which is about € 10 in today´s money. Still doesn´t beat foggy´s amazing find, but still brought a smile to my face.
    Some great finds there Andy. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron
    I'm glad to see you're still turning up gems after all these years Neil... :)
    Thanks Kieron.

I have been at it a long time and it is much harder now than it was in the past so the occasional gem is all the more sweet.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hi Neil

Thanks for putting the post up- you didn't mention the Seiko single button '64 olympic games chrono- that was a stunner too 8) 8)

A few of my 'finds'...

£1 1950 Omega..

All these except the Citizen eco drive at the r/h side..

A fake Gshock that fooled me

Carronade (Valjeoux 7734) bullhead chrono, cost £2 if I reacll correctly..

These are all solid gold, most came from the bootsale, two of them I paid £20 each for all the rest were 50p or a quid!!

I sorted the non working ones last year whilst off work injured and weighed the cases in for around £350 (came in handy!!)..

There's actually way too many bootsale finds to list but this represents around half of what I have (the other half being crap of the lowest order :lol: ), Most came from bootsales/flea markets etc..

This one was a freebie though I did have to have the hands refitted and a new crystal fitted after it was dropped at some stage, it keeps excellent time though :wink:

I once bought a small suitcase for £40 that had quite a few Seiko LCD watches along with a load of straps/bracelets/expanders and other watches..
    In a bag I found 17 Omega lizard straps, all signed and with the Omega emblem on the buckles, I put 14 on fleabay two at a time (one gilt buckle and on stainless steel buckle), they returned £340 :shock:

I still have three put away somewhere (not sure where though :?: )

And then there's the Airguns, guitars and tools etc that I can't seem to resist

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Some nice finds there Smouty. :)

I've had a Bulova Ambassador and a Citizen Newmaster both good pieces.
    Thanks. They are nice, but not as nice as that IWC of yours. That is beautiful.

WOW :shock: Lucky find

Hi Neil

Thanks for putting the post up- you didn't mention the Seiko single button '64 olympic games chrono- that was a stunner too 8) 8)
    I'll put up a pic :wink:

A few of my 'finds'...

There's actually way too many bootsale finds to list but this represents around half of what I have (the other half being crap of the lowest order :lol: ), Most came from bootsales/flea markets etc..
    Blimey!

You are putting us to shame John. :lol:

This one was a freebie though I did have to have the hands refitted and a new crystal fitted after it was dropped at some stage, it keeps excellent time though :wink:
    A freebie Navitimer. :shock:

It doesn't get much better than that.

I once bought a small suitcase for £40 that had quite a few Seiko LCD watches along with a load of straps/bracelets/expanders and other watches..
    In a bag I found 17 Omega lizard straps, all signed and with the Omega emblem on the buckles, I put 14 on fleabay two at a time (one gilt buckle and on stainless steel buckle), they returned £340 :shock:
    I like your style, you know what you are looking at. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

John reminded me of one I forgot and in fact one of my favourite watches.

A Seiko 1964 one button chronograph.

Seiko's first wrist chronograph designed for the Tokyo Olympics.

I have had three of these but this is by far the best being almost mint.

It's a lovely thing. :D

Cheers,
    Neil.

OMG :shock:
    My wife would kill me, she already thinks I have a problem with 5!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shinzomaeda

A mere amateur I assure you.... :D

No, just kidding - quite a haul there. I should know - a decade of manic collecting left me with literally unmanageable quantities of watches that I am very slowly sorting and passing on to others...

The best I ever found at a boot-sale was a Technos Skydiver - the huge one in the Certina PH1000 divers case. I sold it on for £1200 and probably should have kept it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman

If this wasn't motivation to get up early I dont know what is...... will still sleep till the afternoon on saturday though

Craftsman

Neil,
    You must be like a monster buyer in boot sales..
    we don't have those here :cry:

Eric

Really enjoying this post - anybody else got some goodies they would like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana

No, just kidding - quite a haul there. I should know - a decade of manic collecting left me with literally unmanageable quantities of watches that I am very slowly sorting and passing on to others...

The best I ever found at a boot-sale was a Technos Skydiver - the huge one in the Certina PH1000 divers case. I sold it on for £1200 and probably should have kept it.
    That is one hell of a collection :shock: of boot sale finds.
    I do like a Banana sales post, I always check them as there is usually a high quotient of the weird and wonderful in them :lol:

Apprentice

Wow that's a serious amount of watches :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray
    I do like a Banana sales post, I always check them as there is usually a high quotient of the weird and wonderful in them :lol:
    I'm probably well overdue to sort out another, it's just that anything vintage, cheap and odd seems to really struggle on SC these days... which is a shame I think.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master

Wow, top finds and amazing stories and one of the best posts in ages. Nice one chaps! :)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana

That is one hell of a collection :shock: of boot sale finds.
    Hi Dutch

Not all of them were from the bootsale, probably 70%, others came from various forums, fleabay and antiques centres..

Here's a few more that were from the bootsales..

£2 Rotary..

Converted ladies silver Omega fob watch, £1, really gummed up now but was working when I bought it around twenty years ago..

Rotary Aquaplunge, £15 :shock: It too needs a service as the oils have thickened and stopped it..

Seiko World Timer, this was in the small suitcase with more Seiko digitals..

never had much luck with watches at car boots, basically because i have no idea what im looking for :roll: theres a few guys on the circuit who are fairly well tuned - yesterday one of them was wearing a flightmaster and another a 5513 - so i presume its them that hoover up all the quality leaving me to the casios and the like - though i did manage to get a nice bnib seiko quartz and a protrek yesterday both for a quid each -
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Not from a car boot sale, but last week's flea market. It's a Looping alarm clock from the 1950s, with a 15 jewel, 8 day movement. At only £2 I didn't want to leave it there:

I guess it depends where the boot sale is as well... round decent areas are going to be better for gems I guess.

Craftsman

Hi guys!

A bit off topic, but you could you please explain what a 'boot sale' is.

Thanks in advance