closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Your Spouse Interested in Watches?

Journeyman

Is Your Spouse Interested in Watches?

I learn interesting things about watches I own or lust after and want to share them with my wife. But it's not 30 seconds before her eyes start to glaze over. Sometimes I even get a polite, "No watch talk tonight." from her.

I just don't understand how watches can be dull to her! They are certainly more interesting than shoes, which she seems to be able to talk about :twisted:
    Is it just me, or is this a common issue? Any ideas to boost her interest?

Re: Is Your Spouse Interested in Watches?

No! :roll:

Blog Entries

I think the most appropriate phrase to describe Mrs Cain's attitude to my watch problem is "bemused, but tolerant". :)

No

Master

My wife is only interested in how much I'm spending. She has that 'eye-rolling' thing sorted..

Mine says she isnt interested, but now has a collection of 6!!

Her latest one was when she asked me about why I'd got a couple of G Shocks, so explained the term beater to her, and now she has her own Baby G!!

She definitely has more watches than I have bags.

malc

Apprentice

No chance
    she looks at it and says " It just tells the time" Sarcasticly

A usual reply when shown a photo of a possible grail is '...but isn't that very like the one you have on?' :-)

Only when she hands hers to me to change the time when the clocks go back and forth.

Not at all.

Typical immediate reaction when I show her a new watch: :roll:
    Followed by "how much did this one cost?". Reaction after my reply (which involves lying and cutting the actual price by 40 to 50%): :shock:
    But she usually forgives me quickly...

No. :albino:

I tried to get my ex interested, even bought her a couple but in all honesty she was just humouring
    me.

Should have just bought more for myself

My wife has no problem with watch talk, as long as the watch is for her!

My wife would be extremely interested if she knew how much I had spent on them.

Master

No, she thinks it's a bit weird and often says she thinks I love watches more than her. Which of course I do. I've tried to get her interested but to no avail :lol:

Gray

The only interaction with watches my girlfriend has is opening the door and accepting the package from the postman/delivery person!

I have no illusions about sharing my interest.

Mrs DC loves her Tag but frankly it wouldn't matter if it said Rolex or Timex to her, she just likes the look. She is largely tollerant of my dalliance but she prefers a one in one out scenario...

I think my Mrs is quite in to watches from a jewellery perspective, I thnk she has about 8 in various different styles and case designs and I bought her a Rolex for a 30th which she loves.

She also shows an interest in my watches she loves my Monaco and Sub and bought me my Speedmaster.

Fortunately she has the worlds smallest wrists so doesn't borrow any of mine!

Although she thinks I am watch obsessed and thinks a lot of my watches look the same.

my wife was interested when I told her she could wear my rolex but isn't interested now its broke and needs fixing. :evil:

to be fair I told her it was starting to play up and may not be long before it needed a repair.

Nope. Says I love watches more than her and says that TZ-UK is eventually going to cause a divorce! :shock:

Grand Master

the less interest she takes, the better! otherwise i'd be up against the wall double quick!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Its not just the ladies mate, you start going on about watches to your average Joe and you'll clear the room.

Craftsman

My girlfriend has little to no interest apart from complaining that I'm forever buying watches for myself but none for her. I relented last year and bought her the Omega, she now wants a Rolex. Hmm...

My mum still thinks I just have the one, I have to keep remembering to wear it when I see my parents but I don't think that'll last long with my 40th birthday party in a couple of weeks time and my present to myself hopefully turning up next week :)

just a "you spent what?" and that was for getting one serviced

My good lady is my watch barometer.
    Always check with her on the style - before a purchase.
    Seemingly right, as some good selections so far.

Journeyman

She is, but after 15 minutes of me talking about a model that I really want, she looses interest.
    :bounce:

Craftsman

She nods and smiles in all the right places...........BLESS HER!

But NO, no interest at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EdRonax
    Its not just the ladies mate, you start going on about watches to your average Joe and you'll clear the room.
    Don't even bother trying to talk to most of my mates about it, not interested. Best mate of 30+ years has never worn a watch !!!

Bought wife a nice Tag years ago before we were married. Still wears it all the time, offered to buy a replacement but she's not interested - tolerates my interest, just have to be a bit economical with the truth about costs sometimes. (Got one hidden in a drawer that she thinks I have traded ! )

Anyway they are all investments !!! :D

I got my wife a birth year (mens) datejust for her 40th, in the knowledge that she would love it, despite subtle hints revealing she was concerned it would be too big.

Since she has had it, it has drawn universal admiration for colleagues and friends, and it is one of her prized possessions.

She has no interest at all in complications, military-looking pieces and technical virtuosity (my EZM1 wins the title of Dave's most boring watch as far as she is concerned), but it has also made her appreciate my hobby, which is great.

Dave

Master

My wife bought this Gruen 14k solid gold recently for herself, so I guess you could say she was interested.

scooter

Master
    Blog Entries

My wife as started to take an interest of late so much so she has five pieces now :shock:

Craftsman

She likes watches but not to the same extent as myself. She does have a small little collection going though.

Craftsman

She's slowly started to become interested but unfortunately only with those starting in Rol or Ome. It won't be long until it comes to, 'one for me and one for you!'

Craftsman

My wife loves the Nomos Tangente I gave her last Christmas. But that's about it.

She freely admits that she couldn't tell a Seamaster from a Speedmaster, which is a blessing ;)

And when I was talking excitedly about the Grand Seiko Snowflake and the craftsmanship that goes into this watch the only comment was " it's a Seiko and the design looks old and boring" :)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B
    I tried to get my ex interested, even bought her a couple but in all honesty she was just humouring
    me.

Should have just bought more for myself
    This is true. I've bought Mrs. O. four.... Put those together and that's another nice watch for me! DRAT.

It was my Wife that actually got me interested in watches.
    She has always worn watches, albeit not expensive ones and i hadn't worn a watch since school.
    She mentioned that instead of a wedding ring when we got married i could get an expensive watch as i'm not really a ring wearer either.
    The rest, as they say, is history :lol:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    My wife bought this Gruen 14k solid gold recently for herself, so I guess you could say she was interested.

scooter
    And now you've done it! Hopefully your watch budget doesn't suffer. Very pretty watch however :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JWL940
    She's slowly started to become interested but unfortunately only with those starting in Rol or Ome. It won't be long until it comes to, 'one for me and one for you!'
    It's then opposite for me, my wife showed no interest in my watches starting with Rol and Ome. However, the battery went on her watch and whilst it was away being replaced (it was an Ome) I lent her a cwc g10 on a green NATO. She loved it and stated "I can see the attraction in watches now" :shock:

So the saying goes " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" next time she needs a new watch, it's a £65 g10 for her...the rest can be spent on me :wink:

I'm sure she'd feel different if the watch was for her ! :)

My wife is completely anti the whole watch addiction. Her interest extends only as far as turning my winder off as it keeps her awake. I have tried to convert her with several purchases over the years but the only one that she wears is a two tone Omega Constellation which I gave her after our eldest was born five years ago. It's now got to the stage where I have to get all my incoming watches delivered to work for fear of violent reprisals!

Blog Entries

Is Your Spouse Interested in Watches?

Not at all interested.

For years she wore a cheap Sekonda beater - common decency dictated a replacement was needed when all the plating wore off - duly replaced with the nearest looking model I could find (Timex).

She then inherited a no-brand MOP dial, manual wind model from her grandmother - which she wears occasionally (when she has mislaid the Timex).

Recently I bought her an Oris.
    This is her 'best watch' & consequently she never (well, hardly ever) wears it.

I think that's a no.

z
    (she thinks I've 'Lost control')

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec
    My wife would be extremely interested if she knew how much I had spent on them.
    :lol:

Fantastic!
    It's just a matter of time...

Last few girlfriends have got really interested in watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

interesting question....
    I cannot say she is interested, but she is fairly knowledgeable - I take that as a proof that she cares about me, listening and actually paying attention to my rambling about this watch or that watch.
    Have bought her two and she likes them - much more the quartz seamaster midsize that the automatic oris...

The disadvantage of all this is that I cannot sneak in one extra into the collection; she will notice for sure.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by markl
    Anyway they are all investments !!! :D
    Ha! Yes... investments!

You guys are correct about certain friends not "getting it" either. Upon showing off a new model to a group of friends, one proclaimed "A watch? Why?! That's like wearing a monacle," while showing me his smart phone.

Feh! Today's youth...

She borrowed my Breitling Colt, has become her daily wearer. Suppose its my comeuppance for making her look in every watch shop window we have ever passed :)

No, a watch is a watch, they all tell the time, I don't understand why you want more than one, blah blah blah. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by downer
    My wife is only interested in how much I'm spending. She has that 'eye-rolling' thing sorted..

Christ do they all do that then?!? :roll:

SWMBO wasn't interested in watches until I bought her a nice Tudor from SC. Now she is (a little) more interested, but is still of the eye rolling, yawning after 20 seconds, concerned about how much I spend and why I need more than 1 attitude that so many seem to have. Still, it means I get to go on my own when I trawl the local WoS etc! :D