closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The GOAL POSTS have moved!

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: The GOAL POSTS have moved!

I wonder if with a smaller audience of buyers this might mean prices on SC fall a little (he says, rubbing his hands with glee... Until I have something to sell, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by montrehomme1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumex
    I can see why this was done, but might this not backfire slightly and encourage more 'nice watch' or 'welcome to the forum' posts?
    This is the POINT I sorry ONE was trying to make, the reason my post count is lower than it might be, is the resistance of
    saying something BANAL when it is not constructive.

I like to welcome NEWBIES as much as the next man, but, there are time constraints. :?
    You are missing the point. Participating IS the point. It is supposed to take (up some of your) time.

You are supposed to disregard other activities for the sake of spending (unhealthy amounts of) time on TZ-UK!

It is only "BANAL" if you are not genuinely interested in watches.
    :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PS
    In one short thread you have already learned to get the hang of the quote function!
    Participating in the WT forum IS beneficial for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well that's the 'sales corner is my free ebay' newbies dealt with.

Now what about the members who have been here 3 or 4 years, have a couple of hundred posts, never ever post in any forum but seem to swoop on every freebie or bargain with a 'yes please, I'll take it' 5 seconds after the announcement appears?

Quote Originally Posted by divekent
    This is my thirteenth post in just over three years. Thought I'd better post now, to keep my curve up. I look forward to posting in SC in 2132, when my Casio 5600e should be up for 56 gazillion euro dollars (pm me for pictures).
    Steady now :wink:

I confess to going for long periods just lurking and never really feeling much like contributing, but that's part of the appeal to me. It's like a drop in centre for watch junkies :blackeye:
    Gray

I can see why this was done, but might this not backfire slightly and encourage more 'nice watch' or 'welcome to the forum' posts?
    A software glitch tends to deal with that "problem."

We do not know how.

We do not know, who is behind the glitch.

We only know him as "The Cleaner."

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain
    [quote:2kfcnk31]...and, if i'm honest, the reason I joined...
    Then you joined for the wrong reason.
    What do you consider to be the "right reason", out of interest? I mean, I sort of stumbled in here after being pointed to Precista from a thread on another forum, and enjoyed window-shopping in Sales Corner as well.
    There's a sign above the door. It reads "a friendly place to discuss watches". Not to punt them. Sorry and all that.[/quote:2kfcnk31]

So why have a sales corner?

Not trying to be obtuse, it's a genuine question, you can't hang it out there and expect no one to bite!, a lot of us are genuinely into watches, maybe even more so than some of the long serving members here, and some of us stumbled or were directed here, because of our fascination.

To be a collector, you must have a collection!, we are constantly warned away from Ebay, Fleabay, whatever, BY MEMBERS of this forum, and advised to buy, or sell to, or from, a TRUSTED TZ member!

The post system is a very good system, to sort the wheat from the chaff, but when GENUINE enthusiasts cannot gain access, it is a little unfortunate.

No, I don't have the answer about how to keep the SPEEDPOSTERS out, and can see the reasoning behind the post count change, but please, don't PUT DOWN those people who would like to buy, or sell a watch, especially in a FRIENDLY forum like TZ.

Grand Master

when our master gets too much hassle related to sc, it is often known to vanish completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain
    [quote:6nph1i5z]...and, if i'm honest, the reason I joined...
    Then you joined for the wrong reason.
    What do you consider to be the "right reason", out of interest? I mean, I sort of stumbled in here after being pointed to Precista from a thread on another forum, and enjoyed window-shopping in Sales Corner as well.
    There's a sign above the door. It reads "a friendly place to discuss watches". Not to punt them. Sorry and all that.
    So why have a sales corner?

Not trying to be obtuse, it's a genuine question, you can't hang it out there and expect no one to bite!, a lot of us are genuinely into watches, maybe even more so than some of the long serving members here, and some of us stumbled or were directed here, because of our fascination.

To be a collector, you must have a collection!, we are constantly warned away from Ebay, Fleabay, whatever, BY MEMBERS of this forum, and advised to buy, or sell to, or from, a TRUSTED TZ member!

The post system is a very good system, to sort the wheat from the chaff, but when GENUINE enthusiasts cannot gain access, it is a little unfortunate.

No, I don't have the answer about how to keep the SPEEDPOSTERS out, and can see the reasoning behind the post count change, but please, don't PUT DOWN those people who would like to buy, or sell a watch, especially in a FRIENDLY forum like TZ.[/quote:6nph1i5z]
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

MH1
    Are you for real?
    :shock: :roll: :lol:

I repeat, a GENUINE watch enthusiast/WIS/HOG would see that as a detail and instead concentrate on WT

Craftsman

PS
    In one short thread you have already learned to get the hang of the quote function!
    Participating in the WT forum IS beneficial for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Can't argue with that :mrgreen: a very enjoyable experience, and a burnt supper

SORRY, screwed that quote up!!!!! :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    when our master gets too much hassle related to sc, it is often known to vanish completely.
    :twisted: :lol: :D

Apprentice

Can we not have a "you can look but not touch" policy in the SC
    Keep the 50 post count but you can go into SC but not post in it.

(one more closer for me :D )

Journeyman

I have the luxury of not needing to sell anything but am working on a modest collection. A large post count before you can sell would suit me but I miss window shopping!

Good move imo.

And why do some feel the 'need' to speed-post? How about taking a forum in the spirit in which it is intended? Contribute, learn something but also offer something back - if you feel your knowledge is not up to scratch , how about starting a thread with an inspiring question that gets discussion going? Personally, I find it a bit mean-spirited to see people who have been members for years but have tiny postcounts - it shows you have been slow to truly participate -it's selfish. If you are a true watch enthusiast and not just an internet trader, then you will have no problems with the thresholds.

I certainly didn't join this place for SC - in fact, I only discovered it gradually..and probably bought my first after 5 or 600 posts. I wouldn't mind if the threshold to both (even just to view) is set at 250..that will start to filter out the ones who are valuable members. And people who speed-post banal remarks, just to up their post-count are quickly spotted by the eagle-eyed folks on here..and mostly dealt with appropriately!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    MH1
    Are you for real?
    :shock: :roll: :lol:

I repeat, a GENUINE watch enthusiast/WIS/HOG would see that as a detail and instead concentrate on WT

I am for real!, I just make the suggestion that if you are prepared to meet the minimum post requirement, by engaging in the forum, then hopefully, you have a genuine interest.

I get the point though, that there will be those who abuse the post system.

I PROMISE to spend more time on Watch Talk, and to contribute more. I currently have two vintage Bulova Snorkels in bits on my workbench, so GENUINE? you better believe it :mrgreen:

Journeyman

I really wanted to comment on a beautifull DUCATI in the SC, but found out I could't.
    So I get what you feel.
    Anyway, in a hundred and fourty or so I will :)!

Sorry if I've missed this but will SC still be visible on elite deal seeker? If so I'd expect even more people speedposting rubbish to get to 50 posts to see details of what has been advertised there.

I actually see no problem with new members being able to see and buy stuff from SC - it is a valuable information resource in itself and adds to the fun of the forum. I'm sure that it generates a large amount of traffic for TF too.

Agree on the 250 post requirement to sell though, definitely.

I'm a bit gutted about this myself. I've bought two watches off SC, from some stand-up guys, and was thinking about using the facilities to sell my six month old 14060M at some point.

I've always been a lurker on the internet, and I'm not really a joiner as you can tell be the fact I've only made 60-odd posts during the last nine months. With that in mind I do really enjoy the forum and do find some of posts most entertaining and informative. It's just a pity that the speed-posters have ruined it a little for those of us who are not full-on members.

I think it's the right move to be honest.

Journeyman

hmm, I'm now in the weird position of having an ad on the SC, but not being able to post in it :?

Thomas Reid

About the title of this thread. I didn't even know that the goal was supposed to be to get access to the sales corner.

Best wishes,
    Bob

When first I became a member here, I actively took part in the forum conversations and wrote many posts. The way it is supposed to be, as it is primarily a watch forum.

I then started buying many, many, many, many watches.

It was not until several thousands of posts and (I think) several years of membership, that I finally sold a watch (could not be arsed to check, as I like to pretend I have a life).

It was never my intention to sell any watches at all.
    did my recent comment about having a life upset some members..... :lol:

will this new rule send the speedposters into overdrive ?

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    Sorry if I've missed this but will SC still be visible on elite deal seeker? If so I'd expect even more people speedposting rubbish to get to 50 posts to see details of what has been advertised there.

I actually see no problem with new members being able to see and buy stuff from SC - it is a valuable information resource in itself and adds to the fun of the forum. I'm sure that it generates a large amount of traffic for TF too.

I wondered when somebody would let the cat out of the bag :wink:

Digger

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by dtc2
    When first I became a member here, I actively took part in the forum conversations and wrote many posts. The way it is supposed to be, as it is primarily a watch forum.

It was not until several thousands of posts and (I think) several years of membership, that I finally sold a watch (could not be arsed to check, as I like to pretend I have a life).

I think that I still haven't sold anything.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    About the title of this thread. I didn't even know that the goal was supposed to be to get access to the sales corner.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Apologies!, It does sound like that's what I meant

It's like walking on eggshells in here :mrgreen: :wink: I simply wondered why the terms had changed

Blog Entries

Should be 500 ...or even a 1000 posts. One should contribute to the forums - not just dump stuff on SC. This is a forum with SC attached to it, not the other way around.
    +1. Been saying this all along.
    Right on.
    Exactly. To me the SC on here is the only sales forum I know where it's mainly between "friends" and not purely a money making platform. Plus, I had only pleasant experiences so far, which is also something special about this place :-)

Master

The GOAL POSTS have moved!

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake

I wondered when somebody would let the cat out of the bag :wink:

Digger
    Oh man. That's like classified overdose!

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by beem
    ...... but the sales section is a pretty intrinsic part of the forum and, if i'm honest, the reason I joined ...

<echo of gunshot as beem limps of,smoking revolver in hand,bullet hole in right foot>

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Quote Originally Posted by beem
    ...... but the sales section is a pretty intrinsic part of the forum and, if i'm honest, the reason I joined ...

<echo of gunshot as beem limps of,smoking revolver in hand,bullet hole in right foot>

It was a bit of a HOME GOAL that one :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by dtc2

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Embarrasing I know, but I must admit, that I can not recall having ever read one of your posts

Do not think I was even upset today either. Again, not quite sure what you refer to :scratch:

I might have and I might even have commented on one of your posts, but with so many noobs here....it is difficult to keep track. Especially as a forum software glitch sometimes consume them.

I do not know which post/comment you refer to.

As for the "pretend to have a life" bit, that is something members go on about (and have been going on about sice waaay before you became a member :twisted: ), as we are painfully aware, that we spend many hours here (WT not only SC) - and if we were not aware of that, our spouses would certainly make us aware of it.

As for speedposters going into overdrive - see below (quote from else where in the thread (if you had paid attention :D :D :D )

A software glitch tends to deal with that "problem."

We do not know how.

We do not know, who is behind the glitch.

We only know him as "The Cleaner."

Right, lets have a vote :-

Hands up all the 251+ post guys who think it should be a minimum of 250 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 501+ post guys who think it should be a minimum of 500 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 1,001+ post guys who think it should be a minimum of 1,000 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 2,501+ post guys who think it should be a minimum of 2,500 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 5,001+ post guys who think it should be a minimum of 5,000 posts to post on SC ?

Yeh thought so :lol:

Digger

By the way I'm mostly here for the craic :wink: mostly

village wrote:
    beem wrote:

maybe

I should have added that I meant join as in not lurking anymore. I know it's not 'the point' of the forum and could have claimed i was sucked in by a tourbillion but I'm sure i'm not the first one who's signed up as a result of seeing a beautiful watch in SC. Though i may be the last...

Anyway, if it's not intrinsic then i guess you can just get rid of it and save all this hassle.

B.

I sense a software glitch ...

Master
    Blog Entries

Not going to be selling nothing for a while yet, I have my perfect trio so will build my posts gradually. Agree with the new rule though

Craftsman

Hands up all the 251+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 250 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 501+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 500 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 1,001+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 1,000 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 2,501+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 2,500 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 5,001+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 5,000 posts to post on SC ?

Digger

now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

you GET IT! we all agree with the principles, but it's not easy being an insignificant little NEWBIE, I salute you sir!

Hands up all the 8,315+ post guys who think it should be a minimuN of 8,315 posts to post on SC ?

Also a joke BTW :D

Digger

Hands up all the 251+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 250 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 501+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 500 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 1,001+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 1,000 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 2,501+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 2,500 posts to post on SC ?
    Hands up all the 5,001+ post guys who think it should be a minimun of 5,000 posts to post on SC ?

Digger

now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

you GET IT! we all agree with the principles, but it's not easy being an insignificant little NEWBIE, I salute you sir!
    Woohaa MH1, easy on the "E"

Hands up -those who wonder, how it is possible to spell "minimum" wrong five times in a row :twisted:

That was a joke BTW! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries

Hands up all the 8,315+ post guys who think it should be a minimuN of 8,315 posts to post on SC ?

Also a joke BTW :D

Digger
    I think a mimimumimim of 5240 would be just perfect :lol:

Craftsman

Digger

A bit of a simplification, but a fair amout of truth in it. Some people seem to forget that the forum belongs to Eddie and he makes the rules.

I have put watches on ebay because I was not allowed to because the rules of the forum didn't allow me to. Shortlly after I found a thread where that had people complaining that it wasn't fair and they should have been offered on the forum first. There is always something to complain about.

Sorry montrehomme1 you quoted me before I fixed my typo.

I can't help it but at least I put the sex in dyslexsic :lol:

Gidder

Journeyman

My tuppence worth. Ive now read the thread! :)

To say that you have to want to talk about watches and have thousands of posts to be into watches is nonsense. Everyone on here will like and collect watches for different reasons.

I like watches as much as anyone on here. Do I have the technical knowledge of all the different movements and what have you? No. Do i want to? Not really.

I like watches for their looks and build quality. If a watch I have has some fantastic, well regarded movement then so be it. Icing on the cake as far as Im concerned.

Im just pee'd off as I was going to flog some gear on ebay to try and buy a watch if it was still around. Looks like Ill just have to pay the little extra to buy one off ebay. Im sure the seller on here will be happy. He's having no luck on SC after 3 price reductions!

Presume a bit of common sense will prevail on anyone with less than 250 posts.

If I see something I like, I'll pm the seller, then they can check out any references on H&V, see what my posts are and make their own minds up. Always told to buy the seller, but now just have to buy the buyer.

Malc

Journeyman

I totally agree with the 250 posts to sell but it would be nice to be able to browse and PM whilst logged in. Im quite sure the seller can make his own mind up whether he finds you trustworthy as a buyer. This after all is risk free part of the process. Wait till you have the cash before you post the watch. Not much can go wrong if you stick to bank transfers.

A couple of points.

I honestly don't know how many posts I have, but I do know it is quite a few as I have a lot of free time which enables me to spend a lot of time on my 3 fave forums.

I also dont have a life, I was hoping I could buy one on SC

I have only sold one watch on SC and swapped a AVO meter for a watch

Also, in response to a previous post where the seller has reduced his price 3 times, that says to me it was overpriced in the first place.

So, in summary, dont worry how many posts you have or how many posts you need, contribute to the threads you can and people on here will hopefully) get to 'know' you and trust you. I can promise you it is worth it.

I'm a long time lurker too. Have never sold anything in the SC but get a lot of pleasure looking around in the salescorner. I'm afraid the only thing that will happen is that there will be a tsunami of posts of people that have to reach the 50 post limit.

For selling I higher amount of posts is useful, for lurking in the salescorner I doubt if it helps anything..

Ah, now I realise where Sales Corner has gone...

At my current rate of posting it should be about 3 years before I can see SC again... Mind you, as I can never quite persuade myself to have a clearout that is probably about the right timescale...

I do wonder about the moving goalposts though; with those who mainly post on SC, wont this be a bit self-perpetuating?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn
    A couple of points.

I honestly don't know how many posts I have, but I do know it is quite a few as I have a lot of free time which enables me to spend a lot of time on my 3 fave forums.

I also dont have a life, I was hoping I could buy one on SC

I have only sold one watch on SC and swapped a AVO meter for a watch

Also, in response to a previous post where the seller has reduced his price 3 times, that says to me it was overpriced in the first place.

So, in summary, dont worry how many posts you have or how many posts you need, contribute to the threads you can and people on here will hopefully) get to 'know' you and trust you. I can promise you it is worth it.
    While I am happy to post and contribute when I can, I dont feel qualified to post on many. In my opinion, part of being into watches is to buy them. Along with that goes selling them. I am happy that you have to have been around to sell, but as Ive said, selling is almost risk free to the seller if done correctly. No paypal etc.

Buying and getting feedback is also one way to 'make a name' for yourself and become a trusted member. For example, I have feedback in the H&V section because I bought from SC. To me that feedback is worth 1000 posts of 'nice watch' or 'what strap should I get for my.....'

In summary I think buying should be OK from the off but selling should be off limits for 250 posts. I do realise this may not be possible to implement, but its just my opinion.

The GOAL POSTS have moved!

I need a few more to buy again, luckily for me as I'm skint. Sadly not so good for Jimp as id buy his Nite otherwise

Journeyman

I've just had a look at my watch box and my previous posts and I reckon I must have spent in the region of £2000 on the SC in the last six months buying various pens/watches/clothes and I have only 30 odd posts.

I think Eddie has made the changes for the right reasons but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little dissapointed as I had no intention of selling as soon as I could as it's taken me the best part of 2 years to reach my current post count!

I genuinely only try and add quality content for the most part to the forum which is why my post count is so low also I'm a litle shy ;-) looks like I'm gonna have to enter the brave new world and engage rather than waiting on the sidelines if I want to get back on the SC :-) only 13 posts to go....:-) (kidding)

Just discovered this thread, what fun! If we're not careful the magic 250 will be reached by many through posting/complaining all about trying to get to 250, if they can keep it going long enough! Start some watch related threads you lot. Watch Talk innit! :lol: If you're stuck for ideas just start a thread with 'Rolex' in the title: works wonders.

Craftsman

I wonder if anyone will try to speed post up to 250 in one day :)