closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apache Helicopter Circling London

Apache Helicopter Circling London

Standing on the platform at Charing Cross last night and saw an Apache Helicopter circling.

iPhone not the best to capture it but you get the idea. Now you don't see that every day.

Martin

Banned

Re: Apache Helicopter Circling London

Often see an apache doing the exact same thing up here in Newcastle upon Tyne, usually spot it at around 5pm'ish.

I saw one from the A40 last night, circling around Uxbridge area - around quarter to six/six o'clock. I figured it was going to/from Northolt.

Banned

Last year a Military chopper (Lynx?) was hovering very close (100-200 meters) above our office in Cambridge.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Apaches are cool. On my shopping list if I win Euromillions :D
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Much less common to see them now in Northern Ireland but it wasn't that long ago our hometown looked like a warzone. Was fairly common to see a couple of Chinooks accompanied by Lynx and Gazelle formations.

Love the Apaches though, it's the only one i've never seen in the flesh.

They quite often circle above my house. They are surprisingly big when you see them on the ground.

Banned

They are a very cool menacing looking machine. They must be pretty old now, I remember seeing on on display at an airshow when I was a kid.

I live 3 miles from RAF Wattisham. All manner of kit flies alarmingly low over my garden - quite often at night. Bloody noisy.

I particularly hate it when some excercise involving the slinging of a Land Rover beneath is going on. One of these days someone'll drop one...

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71
    I live 3 miles from RAF Wattisham. All manner of kit flies alarmingly low over my garden - quite often at night. Bloody noisy.

I particularly hate it when some excercise involving the slinging of a Land Rover beneath is going on. One of these days someone'll drop one...

if you discover a '90 in your back yard in the morning is it finders keepers :?: :wink:

Slightly off topic :D
    Where I work I watched a Range Rover drive into our car park,there were 4 people in the back,one of them with a laptop.
    The other 3 got out and came into the store,they all had ear pieces in,they wandered round for a few minutes whilst the person left in the car waved some sort of aerial out of the window.
    Then they were gone.
    Very odd.
    I have also seen some sort of military air craft at height going round where I live in Worcester.
    There was an on going saga with someone trying to find out what it was doing.
    It turned out to be this

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/416 ... r__drone_/

Blog Entries

Scary bloody things helicopters, at least with an aeroplane you have the option of gliding. Autorotation doesn't look like fun. We use the coastguard chopper a fair bit for time critical and difficult to get to patients, have been offered a ride a few times but.have always declined!

Quote Originally Posted by andy6430
    Scary bloody things helicopters, at least with an aeroplane you have the option of gliding. Autorotation doesn't look like fun. We use the coastguard chopper a fair bit for time critical and difficult to get to patients, have been offered a ride a few times but.have always declined!

Ahhh, ignorance is bliss. :wink:

Aircraft want to fly, where as helicopters need to be wrestled into the air kicking and screaming, and if you don't pay them enough attention will simply kill you!!

So real pilots want to fly helicopters!

They are regularly seen above Canary Wharf/Olympic Park.

Maybe it's the UK's very own Blue Thunder program?

That'll stop those rioters!

Just makes me grin every time I see them. They are awesome machines. I am one of the lucky ones who have seen them in action.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71

I would rather have that dropped than an ISO or armoured troop carrier from a chinook.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge45
    Just makes me grin every time I see them. They are awesome machines. I am one of the lucky ones who have seen them in action.
    I imagine a few unlucky people have seen them too.

Master
    Blog Entries

Most people that have been on the wrong end won't even see them.

Reminds me of this old joke...

Alex

They've been a menace over our way, just as you get off to sleep another one blats over. Not sure about budget cuts, the army are spending a fortune on training on salisbury plain at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by garethh
    They've been a menace over our way, just as you get off to sleep another one blats over. Not sure about budget cuts, the army are spending a fortune on training on salisbury plain at the moment.
    Yep, haven't you heard? There's a war on... :roll:

Master

I live close to Credenhill, all manner of funny flights! :roll:

Master
    Blog Entries

Nice to see the public backing the military :roll:

In the early summer this year I saw 2 Chinooks land in what looked like the grounds of Birminghams QE Hospital .... Noisy buggers....
    Cheers..
    Jase

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley
    Apaches are cool. On my shopping list if I win Euromillions :D
    Trust me, you don't want one. I use to work on those..."things".

"option of gliding" :wink:

Yes, ignorance is bliss….

I drive through Odiham every day to get to work and see all sorts of kit flying above. Chinooks mostly.

most nights in London I have one over my flat - 3 am is the perfect time to go for a fly it seems!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markblack
    most nights in London I have one over my flat - 3 am is the perfect time to go for a fly it seems!!!!
    probably live underneath one on the heli lanes

Apache Helicopter Circling London

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM
    In the early summer this year I saw 2 Chinooks land in what looked like the grounds of Birminghams QE Hospital .... Noisy buggers....
    I think if two of them are landing at the QE then they are bringing some patients that deserve respect and attention

Quote Originally Posted by Middo

Nice to see the public backing the military :roll:
    Tongue was firmly on cheek :lol: :lol: Mostly the activity is pretty exciting, ran past a tent full of afghans the other day, however low flying helis at 2am over the village when they've got the whole of the plain to play on is a bit of a ball ache

Over the village at 2am, surely you mean within earshot of the village at 2am

Chinooks are becoming a weekly occurrence here in Bournemouth. No complaints at all, their rotors sound like they're beating ten shades of s**t out of the air 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73
    Yep, haven't you heard? There's a war on... :roll:
    Blimey, i'll better put my tin hat on, i didn't realise the front line was that near. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Madness
    Nope over the house, Apache / Chinooks / something else too, often get the Hercs too, practicing out of Upavon, can almost see the wart on the end of the pilot's nose!

Nope over the house, Apache / Chinooks / something else too, often get the Hercs too, practicing out of Upavon, can almost see the wart on the end of the pilot's nose!

If you live in a village you are not going to be directly overflown, if you live in an isolated/scattered house then maybe but no one deliberately overflies villages at low level. Too much hassle.

They use Gruffalo as pilots??? :shock:
    Cheers..
    Jase

Looks like the end is nie...

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii

Not only is there no (attractive) option, even if happens to be able to glide, but aren't many of those fly-by-wire, stealthy, fixed wing, fast mover, jobbies pretty unstable without constant computer corrections? I.e., aren't they are incapable of gliding at all?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by markblack
    Where I lived, there was one out most night, circling the Harrow Road area with its spotlight on all the time. Generally, the scream of cop-car sirens could always be heard whenever the helicopters were out; they used them not so much against stolen cars and scooters (although they were plenty of those), but against gang warfare, muggings and knife/gun crime in West London.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii

Not only is there no (attractive) option, even if happens to be able to glide, but aren't many of those fly-by-wire, stealthy, fixed wing, fast mover, jobbies pretty unstable without constant computer corrections? I.e., aren't they are incapable of gliding at all?

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Oh, anything will glide given enough airspeed, look and the wingless lifting bodies, they were unpowered for all but about 10 to 15 seconds of their flight, it's maintaining the airspeed (and control) that's the trick. Similarly, with helicopters it's maintaining a survivable rate of descent during auto-rotation that's the trick.

In either case, if you don't have altitude, it's not going to be pretty....

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon
    I live close to Credenhill, all manner of funny flights! :roll:
    Yes you will do, but comes with the area. :wink: I am in the area from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM
    They use Gruffalo as pilots??? :shock:
    No it wasn't poisonous, just an ordinary wart.

If you live in a village you are not going to be directly overflown, if you live in an isolated/scattered house then maybe but no one deliberately overflies villages at low level. Too much hassle.
    Alright it's not very big but we call it a village, and it's got a pub! and it's got low flying choppers, and the windows rattle when they use the big guns, and the tanks are bloody scary if they come over the hill when your out mountain biking!

30mil and Hellfire, bit extreme to stop joyriders!

Don't joke about it they've been known to put the heli up to catch the boys playing on enduro bikes, don't think they have used an live ammo though!