closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REVIEW - Breitling B-1 SQ (2003)

Blog Entries

REVIEW - Breitling B-1 SQ (2003)

BREITLING B-1

Manufacture: Brietling
    Model: B-1 SuperQuartz
    Purchase Date: 2003 (I am the original owner)

The B-1 is definately a tool watch. It the following digital functions which use the two digital displays on the watch face:

• * Time of Day (Local Time)
      * Alarm Local Time, alarm repeats twice at intervals if not cancelled
      * Date with calender programmed to 2100 - displaying Day, Date, Month, Year which can be formated in US / UK formats
      * Chronograph with Split Second display counting up to 99d23h59m59s in 100th second dispayed increments
      * Count Down Timer is second intervals down from 99d23h59m59s down to --d--h--m01s with alarm that repeats twice at end
      * Second Time Zone
      * Second Time Zone Alarm, repeats if not cancelled
      * UTC time - independant of Local or Second Time Zone, adjustable by 15m intervals sychronised with seconds
      * Adjustable for ENG/ESP/FRA/DEU languages
      * Hour mark / Count down Hour mark / Audible tone on|off for pushers
      * End-of-life flashing display for battery
      * 'Sleep' mode that reduces battery load when off-wrist for extended periods
      * Backlit digital display (colour compatible with night vision googles)
      * Navitimer style slide-rule with various additional conversion functions built on the scales

Fig 0: The styling is functional rather than aesthetic - though personally I like the styling. The standard bracelet is the 'Fighter' bracelet with brushed central links

Figs 1 and 2 : Shows a close up of the crown of the B-1 and a detail of the scale of the Navitimer style slide-rule at the edge of the bezel.

Fig 3: The Bezel is brushed steel, the case is shiny steel which makes for a pleasing contrast. The second hand has a red tip and the applied breitling logo is gold. Apart from the red '60' and '10' markers on the slide rule the face is black and white.

Fig 4: Shows a close up of the echo chamber making up the back of the B-1 which enables it to have such a loud alarm. The alarm of the B-1 is only matched by the alarm on the Omega X-33 that has a similar echo chamber at the back of it's case, but not with the distinctive 'blade' finish of the B-1.

The 12,3,6,9 glow in the dark quite nicely after switching off the light, though after 6 hours later the glow is fairly dim. Of course the back light can be activated by depressing the crown if you need to read the time in that case. The second hand pauses while the ligh shines, "to conserve battery power".

Items that drain the battery most are: Light and Sound in that order.

In terms of accuracy. I kept a log of my SuperQuartz version when I purchased it at the beginning of December 2003. A graph shows the collected data of average variance by date. See Fig 5.

Fig 5: B-1 Average Variances, Data available from 01 Dec 2003 - 10 July 2004

Data was taken from 3 reference sources. 1) Time signal by telephone; 2) Time given by atomic synchronised clock; 3) Time given by UTC timezone and the variance from these points is shown in the graph.

Notice that so far the variance in 7 months is +2sec between Dec and July so that works out at an average of gaining less than:

+4sec/year

I think I can live with that!! SQ is meant to be +-15sec/year by Breitling standards so this watch is well within specification.

A few shots on different straps and bracelets. The B-1 works on quite a few different straps - though I'm quite happy with the OEM bracelet with it's double safety fastening clasp making it a safe option to keep it on ones wrist.

Other Features:
    Waterproof to 50m - so that makes it ok to shower with, maybe surface swimming depending on if you want to risk it. Personally I don't swim often with it, but I have swum in swimming pools in 40C in Eygpt with no ill effects. I wash it with soap and water and an old tooth brush from time to time.

It is built very solidly. Quite a large watch being 43.20mm Diameter, 16.50mm thick and weighing in at 95.70gr, though it fits comfortably on my 6 3/4" wrist. Some people find it's thickness takes a little getting used to, I find it fine.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th February 2015 at 23:26.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman

Re: REVIEW - Breitling B-1 SQ (2003)

Great write up, I am a big fan of these watches! I read somewhere that the caseback isn't from a mould, and in fact each 'blade' is individually welded in place!?

Excellent write up, need to get me one of those 8)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master

Excellent review, and your accuracy graph tells me that I'm just playing at this WIS lark really!! :)

I've owned two of these now, both SQ's, a blue face and now a slate grey face.

I regretted trading my blue one almost immediately it was gone, and got the grey one as a replacement pronto! That's not going anywhere now, by far my favourite watch.

Craftsman

Brilliant review and great pics.

Thanks, now I may have to hunt one of these out. :D

dg

Another great write up 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Journeyman

thanks Martyn for the excellent review , and definitely a keeper! :thumbup:
    I always found it strange Breitling stopped making these.
    Sometimes these pop up at very reasonable prices, for those who want one.
    Btw, I think the case diameter is 43,2 mm, but that's ok to me :)

Good review, I had always wondered about the water resistance of these. I've looked at a few but been put off by the WR. Worried about swimmimg and poolside diving in one. This may make me change my mind

Thanks for teh review and pictures. I've been looking for one just like yours for a little while now and can't wait to get one.

Let me know if you think about selling yours, or hear of someone else doing the same.

Great watch and pictures.

Master

Great watch....great pics.....great review.....no more to say really other than these are becoming a Breitling classic....and rightly so 8)

An excellent review and the new No1 on my list of must own one day watches.

A great review of a fantastic watch. Had mine for a year, and regret selling it - the complete non- diver IMHO. And loved the accuracy, bling, pick up and go, detailing....

Nice review :hello1:

Journeyman

Nice review I have the blue one but going to pass it on to fund an emergency

Great review for a "tool-watch".
    Everyone wants a watch like this in his collection.

i agree. a great beater. sold mine off for an emergency. the blade is what i really miss.

FMF

Realy good review thanks for posting.

Journeyman

Great write up, got to add one of these to my collection, really like the polished bracelets on these.

Andy

Journeyman

One of my all-time favourites. If anybody wants to sell.... Blue dial preferred... ;)

Journeyman

Great review. I want one!

Craftsman

Fantastic watch, still not beaten nu the Airwolf of Chronospace.

The only watch that is equal to the B1 is imho the Omega X33

Craftsman

Nah, X33 is better !!

Great I now want another watch ;)