closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you spot a fake Rolex?

How do you spot a fake Rolex?

I own a 16610 so I know what one looks like but recently an acquaintance offered me a fake which I couldn't tell apart from mine. :shock:

It had the hologram, the crown engraved on the crystal at 6 o'clock and Rolex engraved on the chapter ring.

I was so good that I had to be very careful not to mix it up with mine.

So how do you spot a fake? :?
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Re: How do you spot a fake Rolex?

If it's a very good fake you wont

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by luddite
    ...the crown engraved on the crystal at 6 o'clock...
    I think the crown engraving on fakes are, well, looks fake :) They're quite bigger than the original.

EDIT: Quick google image search:

Original

Fake

Blog Entries

What, and where, is the hologram? Never knew there was one on a Rolex

Do they live anywhere within the greater Manchester area? :shock: :shock:
    Regards M.

I look at it the other way around.
    Only fakes wear rolex ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nesima
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to see you are still a watch numpty :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Open it if you have the tools, or get it checked out by a watchmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by TooTall
    Do they live anywhere within the greater Manchester area? :shock: :shock:
    Regards M.
    hee hee

If you come across a "modded Noobmariner", you won't be able to tell the difference unless you open the case. I went to a get together last year and handled one in the flesh. It was scary. :shock:

I read recently that now the factory that produces these "Noob" watches also produces a Rolex 3135 movement that looks identical to the genuine. This came directly from a Rolex AD representative. :shock: :shock:

Where does it end? Or... does it?

If you have owned a genuine one, then you will know.

If not, then............ :roll:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'm guessing that a fake won't have an instant date change mech, but I don't know. Never seen a good fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    If you have owned a genuine one, then you will know.

If not, then............ :roll:
    I have and I couldn't tell the difference.

Here, have this back -> :roll:

Dude, they do have an instant date change, very clever those oriental gentlemen. :mrgreen:
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Journeyman

At the risk of getting shot down in flames......

First let me say I do not agree with fakes in any shape or form but.....

Does it not concern you that a , lets say £100 fake, is so similar in looks and feel to a £4000 watch to be almost indistinguishable?

Makes you wonder why Rolex and others charge so much when it can be done for much less.

Now if were talking reliabilty and longevity, it would be interesting to know how long a fake would last with every day wear and tear. Perhaps a couple fo years?

Again I am not condoning fakes, but surely its only a matter of time, before there is reputable watch companies producing watches ,with the same quality of finish of Rolex et all for under £500? Or is this being done already?

Master

I read recently that now the factory that produces these "Noob" watches also produces a Rolex 3135 movement that looks identical to the genuine. This came directly from a Rolex AD representative.
    I'm not 100% sure as although I do have a look on the fake forums, I do it rarely, but the movements I've seen are just ETA clones with a couple of red wheels thrown in and a modified bridge for the balance - they look superficially similar but that's it. Having said that, I'm not an expert on fakes by any stretch and things may have moved on...

Journeyman

rolex have a typical sound, i can hear that :mrgreen:

serieus !!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Quote Originally Posted by nesima
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to see you are still a watch numpty :)
    ha ha, he doesn't change does he? :D

I think most ETA movements have a clockwise crown to anti-clockwise hand adjustment, while Rolex are clockwise to clockwise.

If the bracelet feels cheap and rubbish and light - it's probably the real one Boom! Boom!

Look at the owner...

I believe they only brought in the engraved crystal at the time they removed and no longer had the hologram on the back. Therefore to have them both on a watch must be it is a Sexton

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg81
    At the risk of getting shot down in flames......

First let me say I do not agree with fakes in any shape or form but.....

Does it not concern you that a , lets say £100 fake, is so similar in looks and feel to a £4000 watch to be almost indistinguishable?

Makes you wonder why Rolex and others charge so much when it can be done for much less.
    But you don't need to consider replica watches for that argument; look at the Kemmner sub-a-likes for example. Yes they cost more than £100 - but a lot less than the several thousand a new Rolex GMT or Sub will cost. They aren't quite as nice, but then neither is a £100 rep. It's hard to tell from photos sometimes but comparing them to a real one by close examination and feel will always give the game away.

Now if were talking reliabilty and longevity, it would be interesting to know how long a fake would last with every day wear and tear. Perhaps a couple fo years?
    Some have genuine ETAs; some have Asian ETA copies that would probably last longer than a couple of years even if worn every day.

Quote Originally Posted by earlsy

Look at the owner...
    You, my sir, don't have a clue

Cross-reference the original papers / guarantee with the model / serial number.

When you unscrew the crown & pul out the fake ones tend to wobble - real ones don't (or shouldn't).

Otherwise, damn difficult...

Mark

Yes bairdyboy, I do have a clue...

Master

Take it to an AD!!!! The fakes these days are soooo good that even AD's have to be careful.

Fakes are so good these days you really have to look at the movement to notice. Otherwise when considering a watch take a gen version with you (of the same supposed serial) and compare details with a loupe.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by earlsy
    Yes bairdyboy, I do have a clue...
    I'm sure you do. But your earlier post was a bit unwise; for example people who own both genuine and replica Rolexes (or Omegas, or whatever) won't work with that test. A person in jeans and trainers might well be wearing a genuine Rolex; someone in a nice suit could well be wearing a noobmariner.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt
    I believe they only brought in the engraved crystal at the time they removed and no longer had the hologram on the back. Therefore to have them both on a watch must be it is a Sexton

What's a Sexton???

Quote Originally Posted by DS3R
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt

What's a Sexton???
    Sexton Blake = fake

Don't you just love rhyming slang?

The problem will only go away when China starts to respect Intellectual Property rights and Copyright.

I know the authorities say that China has laws to prohibit copying the "look and feel" of another company without permission but they don't seem to worried about it until the victim is the size of Apple and then hey are very quick to shut them down.

Maybe Rolex could threaten to withdraw from the Chinese market unless they crack down on the watch factories.

To just look at it and tell it's a fake is hard, you really want to open it to be certain (never seen these fake movements though). But if can't open it i've noticed that the finish, i.e. braclet edges is sharp on fakes comparing to my real oyster braclet which is smoother. Another tell, if you can't open up the watch is to listen at the movement. You can hear the difference between a high beat movement and ones with less bpm.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk
    The problem will only go away when China starts to respect Intellectual Property rights and Copyright.
    That won't happen any time soon.

Patent infringement case in Jilin province last week, cast iron copying of a well protected internationally known product. Question number one from the Judge, "how many people does your company employ here?"

We had 4000 less than them. That was enough.

Wow!

There really is no hope of change any time soon with attitudes like that...

Journeyman

Dont rely on taking it to an AD, even they have been known to take a fake in as an exchange , and they had it in their Rolex Display
    until someone who was really up to date on the latest fakes saw it . ( Not in Leicester but only about 20 miles away from here ) The
    AD allowed £2000.00 (Submariner) sold it to the chap who pointed it out for £200.00 and he sold it on for £500.00. So there was
    three pretty devious sellers , ( including the AD who should have destroyed it or sent it the Rolex ) and I wonder where it is now,
    maybe on one of the forum members wrist .

Quote Originally Posted by RO-LEX
    Dont rely on taking it to an AD, even they have been known to take a fake in as an exchange , and they had it in their Rolex Display
    until someone who was really up to date on the latest fakes saw it . ( Not in Leicester but only about 20 miles away from here ) The
    AD allowed £2000.00 (Submariner) sold it to the chap who pointed it out for £200.00 and he sold it on for £500.00. So there was
    three pretty devious sellers , ( including the AD who should have destroyed it or sent it the Rolex ) and I wonder where it is now,
    maybe on one of the forum members wrist .
    So the AD sold it on for £200? Glad I am not in your neck of the woods as that is one AD I would not want to happen upon. The question that arises though is how many fakes are currently residing on ADs shelves across the country?

It does seem amazing when even experts can't spot the fake. Surely there's a better way of marking the real ones though? A hologram seems a bit last century. There's all the smart water systems they use on cars and bikes that make treated items unique and traceable, is there not a solution along those lines. Admittedly you need a smartwater reader for it to work but it would be a worthwhile investment for the dealer. As for folks in the street, I still can't believe there's not a better solution? Surely a serial that you could check on a central data base that listed the current owners address or something would be cheap and easy?

B.

Master

The AD allowed £2000.00 (Submariner) sold it to the chap who pointed it out for £200.00
    The AD was happy to run the risk of destroying his business and reputation for 200 quid?

The fake spell Rolex with two L :lol:

Journeyman

Sorry but I feel the need to chime in again.

Some say that it's easy to tell the difference if you handle them and some say that it's near impossible unless you take the back off?

If the latter is in fact correc,t do any of you not have an issue with the pricing of these high end watches?

While I wouldn't expect the Rolex to be 40 times better, I would still expect it to be substantially better.

I am not a Rolex hater btw. I wish I had the cash for a Pepsi GMT, but it is sounding like it may be quite hard to justify the price. Before I started hearing about all these excellent fakes, I always though there must be something special about them that they commanded such a high price.

As an avid watch collector and one that has owned a 16610 twice, I can tell you that unless you take the back off of one of these ultra good replicas, you will not be able to tell the difference. The one I handled had been modified and had a genuine crystal/cyclops, crown guards had been altered (shaved?), genuine crown and was re-lumed. These watches accept genuine Rolex parts! :shock:

I was stunned.

One has to get out of the notion that just when buying Rolex watches one has to consider the possibility it might be a fake. Truth is, many watch brands and models are 'repped' to a very high standard nowadays. Let's not make this just about Rolex as one could let their guard down looking at other watches - Omega PO's, even some rare Panerai's are repped to near identical (the Panerai 288, Ferrari models etc that I've seen knocking about the internet will fool a lot of people).

Some say that it's easy to tell the difference if you handle them and some say that it's near impossible unless you take the back off?

If the latter is in fact correc,t do any of you not have an issue with the pricing of these high end watches?

While I wouldn't expect the Rolex to be 40 times better, I would still expect it to be substantially better.

I am not a Rolex hater btw. I wish I had the cash for a Pepsi GMT, but it is sounding like it may be quite hard to justify the price. Before I started hearing about all these excellent fakes, I always though there must be something special about them that they commanded such a high price.
    That my friend is a very poignant remark and the main reason that i will never own a Rolex.

The difference is in the r&d, marketing, overheads and employment costs that Rolex need to recoup. Paying pittance to cheap Chinese labour compared to designing and making watches in one of the most expensive countries in the world is many leagues apart.

There are fakes out there that are so close to perfect it's scary. Sometimes trust is more valuable than saving a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I read recently that now the factory that produces these "Noob" watches also produces a Rolex 3135 movement that looks identical to the genuine. This came directly from a Rolex AD representative.
    I'm not 100% sure as although I do have a look on the fake forums, I do it rarely, but the movements I've seen are just ETA clones with a couple of red wheels thrown in and a modified bridge for the balance - they look superficially similar but that's it. Having said that, I'm not an expert on fakes by any stretch and things may have moved on...
    Here's (what I understand to be) the rep version of the 3135, which can be compared with the real deal here : http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/andr ... lex05b.jpg

Not quite what I'd call identical

They've moved on from that, search for SA3135 Asian Super 3135 Clone. They watermark images so I'm not about to advertise for them. It's not just the look of the 3135 clone, it's that it takes genuine dials and hands without any modifications and fits inside genuine cases.

Compare it with a picture including the rotor.

Craftsman

To be 100% sure you need to open the caseback!

Theoretically, there might be differences in terms of longevity, reliability, accuracy, waterproof-ness (is that a word?), etc. However, these differences, if present, might take a long while to become apparent to the owner.

Master

The super reps do feel very close to the gen but a gen's feel and build quality is slightly different. However are pams, subs and POs worth the 3 or 4 grand premium over these 95% accurate reps - no.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Theoretically, there might be differences in terms of longevity, reliability, accuracy, waterproof-ness (is that a word?), etc. However, these differences, if present, might take a long while to become apparent to the owner.
    A lot of the top fakes use genuine ETA movements, no reason to doubt the longevity or accuracy of those tbh. The water resistance (WR) is the major failing. There's little or no quality control and the design of components is simply to mimic the look of the original. That doesn't guarantee the fit or size of mating parts and seals. Basically they leak.