closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prs-14 v Prs-3 - Anyone have both?

Craftsman

Prs-14 v Prs-3 - Anyone have both?

Been debating whether to get the Prs-14 or Prs-3 (non LE) for months now but as I have never handled either I'm wondering if anyone has or had both and could tell me which they prefered and why?

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Prs-14 v Prs-3 - Anyone have both?

I've got both :D .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The 14 is more 'historical' and the 3 more 'useful'. If I had to pick, I'd pick the 3. Bracelet and all that.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Have a 14 and wouldn't part with it. I believe it's a better looker. However, I want a 3 for the bracelet and date, as already mentioned. I don't believe that any really acceptable bracelet solution has been found for the 14, despite the many efforts. Perhaps ultimately one must have both.

If you really want a bracelet for the 14 try a shark mesh or buy yourself an omega 1171 bracelet with 633 endlinks.

PRS 14 all the way mate ;)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Had both and they are both exceptional quality, so here's my ( short ) list of possible reasons to prefer one over the other :

PRS-3:

+ The bracelet. It's a very good one. The rubber strap looks good and works well too.

+ The case, lugs and crown stem are pleasingly chunky. It feels a heavier duty piece than the 14.

+ It has a date.

+ Dial colour and bezel combinations to choose from.

- I think I prefer 3 o'clock dates

- It's 22mm lug width so if you don't care for bracelets and have a heap of 20mm straps already, the 14 might be better.

PRS-14:

+ The design of the case, crystal and dial is beautiful. It looks and feels like a very expensive watch that has somehow been transported from 40 years in the past in immaculate condition.

+ Full magnetic shielding

+ Double o-ring on the case back

- no date but with a date movement, so you have a unnecessary date-set position with the crown.

That's about it. The minus points I see are just my personal view point. I'd happily own either or both again. They are both very well thought through, very well executed pieces - honest options and well priced in an ocean of diver-style horological junk. Choice probably comes down to size, bracelet and what else you already have.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    Had both and they are both exceptional quality, so here's my ( short ) list of possible reasons to prefer one over the other :

PRS-3:

+ The bracelet. It's a very good one. The rubber strap looks good and works well too.

+ The case, lugs and crown stem are pleasingly chunky. It feels a heavier duty piece than the 14.

+ It has a date.

+ Dial colour and bezel combinations to choose from.

- I think I prefer 3 o'clock dates

- It's 22mm lug width so if you don't care for bracelets and have a heap of 20mm straps already, the 14 might be better.

PRS-14:

+ The design of the case, crystal and dial is beautiful. It looks and feels like a very expensive watch that has somehow been transported from 40 years in the past in immaculate condition.

+ Full magnetic shielding

+ Double o-ring on the case back

- no date but with a date movement, so you have a unnecessary date-set position with the crown.

That's about it. The minus points I see are just my personal view point. I'd happily own either or both again. They are both very well thought through, very well executed pieces - honest options and well priced in an ocean of diver-style horological junk. Choice probably comes down to size, bracelet and what else you already have.

Paul
    Thanks, that is an informative post. I've been looking at both and am leaning towards the 14. Something about the case I find more attractive. In pictures anyhow...

I had a similar dilemma not long ago and opted for the PRS-14. I preferred the slightly smaller case size, the acrylic bezel, and the overall look I felt was a little bit classier. The watch has hardly been off my wrist since I got it!

I still have a hankering for the PRS-3LE Orange, though :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I've got both :D .

Eddie
    :lol: :lol:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman

I had always wanted a prs-14 and bought the prs-3 (LE) as a substitute before the 14's were back in stock.
    The 3 is larger, heavier, has sapphire crystal and IMO more robust for daily wear. My 3 has had a hard life being bandged and dropped and survived very well.
    I prefer the size of the 3 and the date feature, it's large without being uncomfortable and has a great profile.

I keep the 14 as a dress watch. The crown on the 14 is quite fiddly while the rolex style crown on the 3 engages very surely and I imaging would be hard to strip. The lume on both lasts through the night but is not bright. Choice would depend on what you want it for but I’m glad I have both.

The 3 is now my most worn watch but i would never part with the 14 as it is quite special.

Here's some comparison pics that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by armatus

We've got ourselves a notch-master. What is going on? Can't you find the right size straps? :roll:

On a serious note I've tried kevlar (of the correct size :P ) on the PRS-18 but it looks like the strap is wearing the watch. Your 22mm must be a hoot. Give us a wristshot. :blackeye:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    We've got ourselves a notch-master. What is going on? Can't you find the right size straps? :roll:

On a serious note I've tried kevlar (of the correct size :P ) on the PRS-18 but it looks like the strap is wearing the watch. Your 22mm must be a hoot. Give us a wristshot. :blackeye:

john
    What are you the strap police? :wink:

You might be right about the 18, I haven't worn it for awhile. It is on the smaller side so it needs a zulu or larger strap to bulk it up a bit.
    I actually prefer a 22mm on the 14 as it balances the top heavy weight better and looks better on my wrist IMHO, especially since the elite is so supple.
    (I also wear a 24mm elite on my prs-3 so you can :roll: at that too!).

I made the leather straps pictured above and one factor is that I don't have any 20mm pre-v buckles...

but i don't think it looks so bad

Maybe you prefer this combo on the 18?

I had always wanted a prs-14 and bought the prs-3 (LE) as a substitute before the 14's were back in stock.
    The 3 is larger, heavier, has sapphire crystal and IMO more robust for daily wear. My 3 has had a hard life being bandged and dropped and survived very well.
    I prefer the size of the 3 and the date feature, it's large without being uncomfortable and has a great profile.

I keep the 14 as a dress watch. The crown on the 14 is quite fiddly while the rolex style crown on the 3 engages very surely and I imaging would be hard to strip. The lume on both lasts through the night but is not bright. Choice would depend on what you want it for but I’m glad I have both.

The 3 is now my most worn watch but i would never part with the 14 as it is quite special.

Here's some comparison pics that might help.

nice comparison! i had a 14 and unfortunately sold it. it was a very nice watch. i'm really wanting to check out the 3 though. i love that date at the "6" and the hands are sweet looking!

Maybe you prefer this combo on the 18?

That is a really nice combination, the tan goes well with the 18 - I must get one for my 14. The other thing which I didn't spot before was that the 18 has drilled lugs, which is always a bonus. I'm looking forward to the next batch coming in; only question then is whether to go for the Q or the A.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I have the PRS14 and had the PRS3, and despite having similar dimensions on paper(apart from lug width at 20 and 22mm)they are beauty and the beast in comparison.

The 14 is elegant, with classic 3-6-9 styling, solid, lumed bezel and a discreetly domed acrylic crystal. It also has by far the worst screw down crown I've experienced; way too small and very difficult to engage.

The 3 is solid and chunky, with a great crown, sapphire and decent bracelet (which also adds to its weight), but its Achilles is its bezel, which is very weak and tinny.

Both have fantastic lume, with the 3 just shading it for ferocity.The seconds hand is illuminating the 9 in the bottom shot.

Overall if you can put up with the crown and live without a date, I think the 14 offers a better everyday option.

I have both, prefer the classic looks of the 14 but prefer the bracelet and easy to use crown on the 3. They are both brilliant and I would be unable to choose between them hence why I have both. :D

Apprentice

I was torn between the PRS-14 and the PRS-18. Now I'm torn between those and the PRS-3!

Quote Originally Posted by 12 bar
    I was torn between the PRS-14 and the PRS-18. Now I'm torn between those and the PRS-3!
    I've had the 18 too. Fairly similar, although I prefer the sword hands of the other two. It also has quite a tall bezel which gets easily knocked out of place.

Overall, the 14 on looks. I agree with the summaries listed above which give a more reasoned approach to your dilemma. The suggestion to aquire both if you can is a good one, especially when you consider you may well end up with two very well made watches for the price of one alternative divers watch from another brand.

Bottom line cannot go wrong with either providing you have a big enough wrist, however the 14 is marginally smaller for the more "elegantly limbed" amongst us.

I have two PRS-14s and three PRS-3LEs, prefer the '14 for looks and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    I have two PRS-14s and three PRS-3LEs, prefer the '14 for looks and comfort.
    What on earth would you want so many duplicates for?!

They're not exactly duplicates. I have a SS and a PVD PRS-14, a black LE and a blue LE. I have one blue LE I acquired in a trade that I need to flog - just haven't got around to it yet Other than the two blue LEs, they are very different watches IMO. YMMV.

Apprentice

Does that mean you might want to sell one of the blue LEs? If yes feel free to PM me. Don't have enough posts yet to post in the WTB yet or to view the SC. Slowly working on it.

Nalu, pray tell: YMMV means what?

^^^^^^

'Your mileage may vary' ie. you may not agree.

I have the original PRS-3 (well it's the auto PVD version in Orange) and the PRS-14.
    The '14 is taller with more heft, the '3 more everyday.

I have a blue PRS3 LE and can whole heartedly recommend it!!!!!!!. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
    Its superb in specification, quality and price.
    Now I have it on a sinn rubber strap (off a U1) its even better, the sinn strap pushes the watch into a different league it fits the case and lugs perfectly and looks as thou the strap was made for the watch, and although I do like the weighty bracelet it came with. I prefer it on sinn rubber.

Blog Entries

I really like my PRS-14 - I had a bit of a tough time choosing between that and the PRS-3, and after some thought (and a little help from Mr Platts) went for the 14. The design is wonderfully "period"; I particularly like the bezel which has lovely deep crenellations (I'm sure there's a technical term) so is very easy to use underwater. I find the crown a little fiddly but that is probably more to do with my sausage fingers than an intrinsic design issue... I was worried about the acrylic crystal (as opposed to sapphire) but have found the occasional scratches it's sustained are easy enough to polish out. I feel this is a price worth paying given that the domed, slightly edge-distorting crystal "makes" the 14's retro look to my eyes.

Interestingly I haven't found it too tall on the wrist, despite its being thicker than pretty much everything else in my watch box. I have also recently determined that it looks good on a NATO but better on one of Eddie's deployment rubber straps. 8)

Master

Get the PRS14 and put the Omega bracelet on it. Easy to do and looks like the dogs danglies

All of them are great!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Have a 14 and wouldn't part with it. I believe it's a better looker. However, I want a 3 for the bracelet and date, as already mentioned. I don't believe that any really acceptable bracelet solution has been found for the 14, despite the many efforts. Perhaps ultimately one must have both.
    I wlll be using this argument on the wife. Wish me luck :wink:

Having worn the 14 for a month now I'd say it wins. It's so easy to wear, and has had some compliments too. Just wear it every day, so you don't have to deal with the crown.