closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most pointless and/or useless watch related item out there?

Re: Most pointless and/or useless watch related item out there?

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc
    To all those who don't like watch winders, how about a manually wound watch winder?

Yes, it's a manually wound watch winder for manually wound watches :idea:

http://www.luxist.com/2009/05/07/irony- ... wn-winder/

We have a winner !!
    Can't top that.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.

I have actually seem one of these in the flesh. I actually know the ex chief R&D man that developed this phone whilst he was working for UN. I'm not sure in if its the phone I'd pick for myself, but it is actually very very nice in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan
    I would love to have a cool-looking pen like that.

On the other hand, I found a pretty useful watch related item:
    A smartphone by Ulysse Nardin: http://www.luxurylaunches.com/gadgets/u ... luxury.php

Quote Originally Posted by EdRonax

Can't top that.

How about, if it's put in a box? :P

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markl
    Quote Originally Posted by halfscrew
    Rolex anchor. In reality just another bit of tat.
    + 1

Tell you what- if either of you can find a Rolex 660m/2000ft Anchor for less than £300 please let me know (finders fee available 10%) - that how useless/worthless they are :wink:

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    + 1

Tell you what- if either of you can find a Rolex 660m/2000ft Anchor for less than £300 please let me know (finders fee available 10%) - that how useless/worthless they are :wink:

Andy
    It's like anything that can be cast as "another bit of tat" by the unknowing and that includes many small antique items.

They sometimes have surprisingly high values. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

I was after a notebook and saw a plain A Lange Sohne selling for £20, then found a Patek notebook but this was selling for £120 so I got a Mulberry one instead for less than half the price.

[quote=Richie_101]

Quote Originally Posted by "Omega Blurb":1na8eg8o
    "Like the watch, the fragrance conveys the essence of the wearer’s personality. Just as there is a subtle complicity between the watch and its owner, there is an understated bond between a man and the fragrance he chooses.

Like the watch, the fragrance is in direct contact with his skin. His watch is the first accessory he puts on in the morning and the last one he takes off at night (if, indeed, he takes it off). He also puts his fragrance on before he leaves the house in the morning and it will be an intimate expression of his personality throughout the day.

Like the watch, the fragrance is made in Switzerland.

Master perfumer Alberto Morillas, the legendary “nose” behind some of the world’s most successful perfumes for women and men, was asked to create a fragrance which would express the essence of OMEGA: authenticity, substance and innovation. It also needed to project the qualities which characterize OMEGA’s customers: courage, self-confidence and independence."
    Sorry, but... :bs:[/quote:1na8eg8o]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All fragrance blurb is total guff, it would be much simpler if they just said something like - "Omega after-shave. It smells nice. A bit lemony."

The same b*ll***s is used for wines "Bold and nutty with a hint of almonds suffused with wild berries and a smoky aftertaste, it dances on the palette and reveals a complex fusion of traditional oak and peach." Does it? Really? Clever given it is made of grapes and has never been near nuts, berries or anything else.

Total nonsense.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana

The same b*ll***s is used for wines "Bold and nutty with a hint of almonds suffused with wild berries and a smoky aftertaste, it dances on the palette and reveals a complex fusion of traditional oak and peach." Does it? Really? Clever given it is made of grapes and has never been near nuts, berries or anything else.

Total nonsense.
    Except an oak cask. And in the case of whisky, a cask previously used to age sherry, which is why good whisky is said to taste of fruitcake.

Journeyman

A bugatti veyron?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Your watch will still be ready for you, regardless of you not using it for a couple of days. you just need to set it :lol:

Winders are indeed pointless and put needless wear on your watch.
    Well not really, if your automatic watch is in rotation with others and has a screw-down crown, then unscrewing and screwing the crown every time you wear it is going to put a lot of wear on the crown and tube; and believe me they will need replacing - a new crown and tube on my Air King cost 100 quid.

And as for pointless, perhaps for a Seiko 007 or Vostok Amphibia (apart from the problem of crown wear), but for a perpetual calender I imagine resetting the day, date, month, year, moonphase, sidereal time and leapyear must be a pig - and perhaps even requires the watch to be sent back to the factory.

Not many of the latter amongst us mere forum mortals :lol:

Feel free to buy a winder for yours of course, Simon :P

Craftsman

Most pointless and/or useless watch related item out there?

Your watch will still be ready for you, regardless of you not using it for a couple of days. you just need to set it :lol:

IWC recommend their use in several of their magazine and web site articles. Why would a winder that's set to come on an hour or two a day to maintain winding wear out a watch? Do people who move their hands more wear out watches demonstrably quicker? Do you invalidate a warranty if you have fast typing skills, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonG156

IWC recommend their use in several of their magazine and web site articles. Why would a winder that's set to come on an hour or two a day to maintain winding wear out a watch? Do people who move their hands more wear out watches demonstrably quicker? Do you invalidate a warranty if you have fast typing skills, for example?
    For which purpose do they recommend them?

It will not "wear out" a watch, there will be wear - because the watch is being wound and running - which is unnecessary if you are not wearing it. It is not about the way winders wind the watch.

+ 1

Andy
    Ahh, but the OP said "pointless and/or useless" items. The silly anchor certainly is both :mrgreen:

I fail to see the sense in it being thus, but I have no doubt, that they represent quite a value in a market gone mad for Rolex tidbits.

Again it is a matter of "to each his own." What I find silly is another mans treasure. I have no doubt, that some of the items, that I treasue, will be utterly pointless/useless/worthless to some.

how about this :lol: :lol:

Seems you shaved your wrist, are you from Malta? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by straighttea
    how about this
    This is not good :roll:

I got that pic from the internet guys! just in case if anyone thought its on me :blackeye: :blackeye:

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure ... !

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

+ 1

Andy
    Wow, that's a lot!