closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 50p?? - latest 'grandad' sounding thread...

50p?? - latest 'grandad' sounding thread...

50p to fill up my tyres with air at shell this morning! someones having a giraffe
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Re: 50p?? - latest 'grandad' sounding thread...

You should have gone to the BP, there's usually plenty of hot air blowing around in there these days. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Buy a foot pump sir :wink:

If you've got a slow puncture, it'll be cost effective at that rate. Plus it'll burn some calories :lol:

Banned

Add the cost to the fact you need to do all four tyres at the speed of an olympic sprinter, discover you are missing two valve caps and no doubt dirty your Sunday pants and it makes for a right grand old five minutes out of your life :D

Our local village garage has old style values. And free air and water :thumbup:

In the words of Mr Burns:

"You there, fill it up with petroleum distillate, and re-vulcanize my tires, post-haste!" :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    Our local village garage has old style values. And free air and water :thumbup:

In the words of Mr Burns:

"You there, fill it up with petroleum distillate, and re-vulcanize my tires, post-haste!" :wink:
    my nearest filling station is attached to the village shop. its like arkwrights open all hours. they sell everything. from wellies to pies to whisky . even fork handles, that kind of thing. the petrol isnt self service. the attendant is getting on for 90, it takes him about 15 minutes to get onto the forecourt, find the right key for the padlock on the pumps etc. not one to do in a hurry.

Master

We have free air and water. Visitors are often surprised that they don't even need a token.

50p?? - latest 'grandad' sounding thread...

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    50p to fill up my tyres with air at shell this morning! someones having a giraffe
    Was only 20p last week as well.
    That's inflation for you...

Sorry.

Grand Master

Boom Tschh
    RIAC

Master

I went to buy one of those "real pucka" tyre inflators (not the Lidl ones from Taiwan) and they are almost fifty quid! My compressor was only just over the ton! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Add the cost to the fact you need to do all four tyres at the speed of an olympic sprinter, discover you are missing two valve caps and no doubt dirty your Sunday pants and it makes for a right grand old five minutes out of your life :D
    Its 20p at my local Texaco but your dead right with the speed thing.
    I've got it sussed at my local. I remove all valve caps first. Then I check the hose will reach around the car in my intended direction. Starting with the furthest away working back to the pump. When I've finished all four tyres then, and only then do I refit the valve caps. Using this method I have completed all the tyres with several seconds to spare. :)

Yeah... Can be .50-.75 cents here. :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10
    I've got it sussed at my local. I remove all valve caps first. Then I check the hose will reach around the car in my intended direction. Starting with the furthest away working back to the pump. When I've finished all four tyres then, and only then do I refit the valve caps. Using this method I have completed all the tyres with several seconds to spare. :)
    My method too. At our local Tescos, once the next driver managed to do his too, on my 20p :o

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    Quote Originally Posted by scrog10
    My method too. At our local Tescos, once the next driver managed to do his too, on my 20p :o
    +1, although I have got a foot pump now as its easier just to top things up on a fortnightly basis

Grand Master

Buy a decent foot pump and separate tyre gauge. Keep the pump in the car to deal with slow punctures .

Makes far more sense than messing around on a garage forcourt; you can check the tyres on the driveway when it's convenient.

Paul

Is it too late to suggest this as a sport for London 2012? What do you reckon, solo sport or a relay?

I'm with you on this one, there was a debate on the radio about things like this and one garage called in to say how much it cost them to maintain the air line and machine.

My Tesco air is free and thats were I go, I usually fill up with petrol at the same time so I guess once again like them or hate them Tesco have got is right. Free air means they dont take my 20p but they do get my £80 of petrol.

I find it easiest to wait at the garage for a couple of hours until someone else has used the machine.

When they back out leaving about 30 seconds on the machine I wheel screech into the bay, despact a child to each cap for removal duties. Wifey lifts hood for water. I charge F1 like around the car. Wifey fills washer tank with water. Kids replace caps behind me.

I am going for the world record next week - under 17 seconds.

It's becoming a weekend sport for the whole family. Friends and family are joining in, and it made the local paper.

Not really - just spend the fifty pence!!!
    Gray

Journeyman

One of my local stations makes you put in a euro coin to release the air pump (like a supermarket trolley).

Seems to stop any passing scum pointlessly interfering with it or just plain wrecking it

At least you get the coin back when finished though.

It all depends on the attitude of the retailer. Waitrose don't charge and I often go there even if their fuel is 1p/2p higher than a filling station nearby. Others charge top end for fuel and then charge for air as well - that probably explains why their forecourts are relatively empty

I use one of these, it's so much easier and comfortable doing it at home in your garage, and more accurate. The gauges on garage forecourts tend to be out of calibration with all the bashing they take.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Buy a decent foot pump and separate tyre gauge. Keep the pump in the car to deal with slow punctures .

Makes far more sense than messing around on a garage forcourt; you can check the tyres on the driveway when it's convenient.

Paul
    Call this penny-pinching if you wish....but it makes sense on a few levels:

Tyres can be checked weekly, rather than every trip to the filling station.

Never have to wait to use the pump.

Can always be done in dry weather

Tyres can be checked cold

My gauge has been checked against the local tyre fitter's gauge....so I know it's error.

A slow puncture can be dealt with without swapping the wheel in an inconvenient place

Finally....I save money. A pump costs around £15.

No-brainer IMO. A bit like paying to use car washes.... :roll: .....when you've got a hosepipe, bucket & sponge at home.

Good financial habits learnt when I had nowt.

Paul

This thread has made me just nip out and check my tyres - so very useful :wink:

Master

I use the compressor I bought from Aldi years ago, used it when changing motocross tyres, bike tyres etc a lot less messing about and I prefer to be self sufficient where possible!

Can't fault you there, I do the same. I have a n old stirrup pump (now called track pump, I believe) in the boot, along with a "back-up" double barrel Halfords foot pump which was half price in Halfords last month. The advantage of being able to inflate to your cold tyre pressure when your tyres are actually cold, is worth the the investment alone.

Paul
    Call this penny-pinching if you wish....but it makes sense on a few levels:

Tyres can be checked weekly, rather than every trip to the filling station.

Never have to wait to use the pump.

Can always be done in dry weather

Tyres can be checked cold

My gauge has been checked against the local tyre fitter's gauge....so I know it's error.

A slow puncture can be dealt with without swapping the wheel in an inconvenient place

Finally....I save money. A pump costs around £15.

No-brainer IMO. A bit like paying to use car washes.... :roll: .....when you've got a hosepipe, bucket & sponge at home.

Good financial habits learnt when I had nowt.

Paul

50p to fill up my tyres with air at shell this morning!
    Yep, you take it for granted when it`s free, but soon notice when it costs, even 20p.

My local Esso used to offer free plastic gloves for the diesel pump and had a dispenser for free paper wipes. Must check that they still do when I fill up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemanjim
    Yep, you take it for granted when it`s free, but soon notice when it costs, even 20p.

My local Esso used to offer free plastic gloves for the diesel pump and had a dispenser for free paper wipes. Must check that they still do when I fill up tomorrow.
    It's a legal requirement to have free plastic gloves at the diesel pump.

I wheel screech into the bay, despact a child to each cap for removal duties. Wifey lifts hood for water. I charge F1 like around the car. Wifey fills washer tank with water. Kids replace caps behind me.

I am going for the world record next week - under 17 seconds.

It's becoming a weekend sport for the whole family. Friends and family are joining in,
    Good story Gray; but you`d better watch out, I`m sure they`ll demand payment soon :lol:

Good point Sancho. I think the same holds good for tyre pressures, it`s a legal requirement to maintain your tyre pressures at the manufacturers settings.

I read that the police can carry out checks of tyre pressures following an accident, and if not correct, it won`t look good on the charge sheet.

still free over here in spain

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza

I filled up once (and not since) at tesco who had a sign up on the pump saying that plastic gloves were available from the cashier. Pi55 take!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza

I filled up once (and not since) at tesco who had a sign up on the pump saying that plastic gloves were available from the cashier. Pi55 take!
    I've come across this before as well. When I asked the cashier why they weren't on the forecourt she claimed that kids stole them!

my nearest filling station is attached to the village shop. its like arkwrights open all hours. they sell everything. from wellies to pies to whisky . even fork handles, that kind of thing.
    I can't work out why they only sell four candles. :roll:

(Sorry )