closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Price Rise (maybe) coming!

Master

Rolex Price Rise (maybe) coming!

Just had the call for the new EXPII and despite being originally told it was going to cost £5,170 it's now going to be £5,530! This says to me that an across the range rise is coming as the EXPII will not be priced higher than a GMTIIc or Subc but a bit below it.

Re: Rolex Price Rise (maybe) coming!

I was under the impression that £5530 is the current list price for the new explorer.

The sun sets, the sun rises. Rolex prices go up almost at the same frequency.
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries

:sleepy2:

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

Daddel.
    Exactly the same response when I hear about the latest five-grand limited-edition Omega [s:1dkfkgq3]Yawnm[/s:1dkfkgq3]Speedmaster ;). A price rise for a watch that has barely hit the UK's shores and after the Swiss franc has just nosedived, isn't surprising; it's inevitable.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Well if it is £5500 then I am in two minds whether or not to go pick mine up - may well just say thanks but no thanks - they did the same with the Deep Sea! maybe my AD will sort something out for me - but I suspect he will sell to the next person lined up :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

Daddel.
    Exactly the same response when I hear about the latest five-grand limited-edition Omega [s:dj475fhp]Yawnm[/s:dj475fhp]Speedmaster ;). A price rise for a watch that has barely hit the UK's shores and after the Swiss franc has just nosedived, isn't surprising; it's inevitable.
    He He :evil: !

Leave my five grand limited edition Speedy out of it.......... :D

Daddel.

Master

Rolex really do not align their prices with inflation - their cost index must be from another planet!!! :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Shakir Khaja
    Rolex really do not align their prices with inflation - their cost index must be from another planet!!! :evil:
    I have no problem with the price rises - it just makes some other models stand out as the bargains they have been for a while.

I'm past the point of caring now

All the luxury brands are just plain crazy.

Master

How much ! I have my name down for one of these, but these price rises are taking the P...

John

Still, always a good long term investment!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10
    How much ! I have my name down for one of these, but these price rises are taking the P...
    There is a topic on here about brand image and reality.

Rolex has the image of an exclusive watch for the wealthy who made it.
    In reality it is for misers who drool over re-sale value and moan about price rises.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakir Khaja
    I have no problem with the price rises - it just makes some other models stand out as the bargains they have been for a while.
    Which ones are they then?

I'm glad I bought mine when I did. No way I could have afforded one now :(

Try as I might, on hearing this rumour (together with the COMEX auction thread) I now can't get rid of a mental image of a certain Mr. Woods - he of TOWS; dressed all in black, sat in front of a map of the world, with certain cities all lit-up, stroking a white cat, laughing manically :roll:
    Guess it must be the drugs I'm on? :shock:
    Regards M.

yeah; prices are just crazy

tried on a Navitimer yesterday that was north of £5k !!! for a leather strapped Navi..... 4 years ago it was about £2,400

i suppose if you had bought in 2007 it was like investing in Swiss Francs ....... not sure you can say the same thing in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    May I add that also goes for every other brand! :evil:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Guz

Yep... and it gives me the oppurtunity to try more of the micro brand watches. Not easy being a student and having luxury brand watches :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093
    May I add that also goes for every other brand! :evil:
    I don't disagree, but Rolex rises appear to cause the most angst & indeed schadenfreude, probably
    because they are the yardstick by which others are judged on this board.
    ______

​Jim.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Only by a minority hardcore that just happens to be ´loudly´ present.

If they would be a more broadly used yardstick instead of just for their own game quite a few other brands would sell big holes into the Rolex presence here.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

If they would be a more broadly used yardstick instead of just for their own game quite a few other brands would sell big holes into the Rolex presence here.
    I've written before that Rolex sports models are grossly over-represented on TZ-UK compared to the "real world". But it is a watch forum & perhaps
    that should be expected.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master

I agree, the only reason the SD have increased in price is the hysteria that a few have created, it was never a highly sought after piece until someone perceived it might gain value meaning that they are buying and owning for one of the worst reasons
    RIAC

Master

Meh... I have gone past the point of caring. I will not stop me from buying the one I want.

Im pretty sure I'm done with Rolex for the rest of 2011.... Let's see what mr Rolex brings out at Basel 2012 :lol:

Craftsman

If they bring out a 42mm new sub or Sd next year at Basel alot of us will be running to the AD to put a deposit down no matter what the price, its just the way of the world :lol:

Master

I've written before that Rolex sports models are grossly over-represented on TZ-UK compared to the "real world". But it is a watch forum & perhaps
    that should be expected.
    I think thats a bit strong and i know i m a big Rolex fan but just look at the prices of what Rolex S/S Sports are fetching on ebay and what some dealers are asking and getting for subs and Sea Dwellers and the like ,fact of the matter is that dealers are asking north of £4k on Sea Dwellers and they re not lasting more than a couple of days maybe a week .

I m no expert but surely the Explorers are good value at the minute and i ve never been a big fan i admit but after owning one they really are a nice piece at sensible money at the moment (you have been warned :roll: )

Craftsman

Wont be long till the ExpIIs are 3k, as soon as everyone gets their new models and post pics all over the net everyone will love the look and want to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by marksh
    ...<snip>I think thats a bit strong...<snip>
    What is? It's not clear whether you're referring to something I wrote or to something Huertecilla posted.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master

We haven`t had a 'Rolex price rise coming' thread for at least 3 weeks....started thinking that maybe it won`t happen.

Don`t forget that the Swiss Franc has effectively been devalued recently; thus removing some of the pressure for an increase.....I think.

Rolex ADs love to keep the 'imminent price rise' rumour running......can`t think why :)

I certainly won`t be rushing out to buy one!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    I agree, the only reason the SD have increased in price is the hysteria that a few have created, it was never a highly sought after piece until someone perceived it might gain value meaning that they are buying and owning for one of the worst reasons
    I would only disagree slightly with this - but the SD used to have a 2 year waiting list on average in the UK. Whereas a sub could usually be had within 6 months - so it was always sought after by quite a few people but the amounts sold weren't that high compared to Subs, which use the same movement, so I guess it made sense to sell a cheaper watch and make roughly the same amount of money/profit - or offer a much more expensive Deep Sea.

The funny thing is 5 years or so ago not many people could buy an SD for less the RRP - now they are selling for less than their last RRP, which I believe was back in 2008!

that should be expected.
    Firstly and foremost, what gets stated on here and other fora has jack $hit influence on any watch manufacturer's marketing and pricing strategy!

Secondly, I do not believe or endorse that they are any yardstick by 'loud' people or any others. The Rolex brand relies not one bit on what 'watch enthusiasts' think, want or believe - 'we' are the 'given' few, get over it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I had the call today about my new Exp II and questioned the price rise as it has gone up from the original price before there is any UK stock. At the new level it is similar to the current price for the GMT IIC and people have said that it should be cheaper.
    This did happen a year or so ago when the price of a newly released piece seemed high but then the price rose for all of the others soon after and the new piece settled into the new pricing structure.
    Also, the new watch will not be available to me for 2-3 weeks which once again tallies with the fact that the prices are going up very shortly for other models.

Peter

Grand Master

Rolex will raise prices to their maximum potential, that's just capitalism, have a product, sell it at the optimum price, and unfortunately, people are still paying up for them, hell i bought the new Sub LV at full RRP because i'm weak and the green was calling me, plenty more are doing this

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    Im pretty sure I'm done with Rolex for the rest of 2011....

You mean you're gonna go all of three months without buying a new Rolex Eric? :shock:

I'll have a tenner with you that you don't make it..... :wink:

Craftsman

on watches.co.uk the new exp II is listed at £5895 :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by 146edward
    on watches.co.uk the new exp II is listed at £5895 :shock:
    The Black one they had sold at £6295 :shock:

FWIW, I don't think prices are going up again this year. The Swiss Franc has weakened and there have been two 'rises' this year, albeit one co-inciding with V.A.T going to 20%.

Guess we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. :)

Blog Entries

Precisely! I will never buy another new Rolex or JLC as the opportunistic and galactic greed of high-end watch manufacturers has passed all reasonable boundaries. I know that they can only charge what buyers are prepared to pay but mark my words, buyers will one day 'turn' and bite the manufacturers in their asses and the sooner the better! :evil:

it is not just the top end manufacturers though, for example the Omega Planet Ocean at a whopping £4,400!!! It only has a modified ETA 2892-A2 movement FFS! :o

Master

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav

Precisely! I will never buy another new Rolex or JLC as the opportunistic and galactic greed of high-end watch manufacturers has passed all reasonable boundaries. I know that they can only charge what buyers are prepared to pay but mark my words, buyers will one day 'turn' and bite the manufacturers in their asses and the sooner the better! :evil:

it is not just the top end manufacturers though, for example the Omega Planet Ocean at a whopping £4,400!!! It only has a modified ETA 2892-A2 movement FFS! :o
    Exactly and well said!!! It's a load of shite, a con and a swindle. As has already been said, we, the esteemed WIS community, are a tiny percentage and have no bearing on what the greedy Suisse want to charge. It also means that the opportunity of a second hand "bargain" has now long gone. I love a nice Rolex but come on............

^^^

Agreed :wink:

But I certainly would not rubbish the ETA 2892-A2 movement. It's rated very highly by watch making professional, which has been highlighted before.

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html

I don't think the prices can be justified by ANY of the so called Luxury brands. I can't afford them now, but I have give up caring.

However, win the PR war and you can get away with just about anything :shock:

I though the new Planet ocean had a completly new in house movement.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by spuds
    Quote Originally Posted by esm
    Im pretty sure I'm done with Rolex for the rest of 2011....

You mean you're gonna go all of three months without buying a new Rolex Eric? :shock:

I'll have a tenner with you that you don't make it..... :wink:
    you are on Dan!!! :)

Anyone know what the current list on the Milgauss GV is? £5.2k?

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    exactly how I feel.

Wish I had bought one 10 years ago when I had the opportunity

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awright101
    The old ETA is in house too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awright101

It does, and if A rolex is worth it's money, the new PO is worth what they are asking as well.

I'm not bothering with watches in that price-range anymore.
    No shortage of money, but I can't be arsed to pay that much for a watch anymore :) .

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

that should be expected.
    Firstly and foremost, what gets stated on here and other fora has jack $hit influence on any watch manufacturer's marketing and pricing strategy!
    I slightly disagree with that. You can go from Panerai & the PAM360 (design cues from Paneristi mods) to any number of boutique divers with a page
    on WUS who have asked for input.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Secondly, I do not believe or endorse that they are any yardstick by 'loud' people or any others. The Rolex brand relies not one bit on what 'watch enthusiasts' think, want or believe - 'we' are the 'given' few, get over it.
    Perhaps I should have written "benchmark by which others are judged on this board" rather than "yardstick" (although they mean the same to me!). You're right, Rolex don't seem to want to have a relationship with the WIS market, but I suppose the WIS market for new Rolex is a tiny part of their annual sales. Most WIS will buy on the secondary market, I assume, which doesn't profit the manufacturer directly.
    ______

​Jim.