closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is Seiko 5 about

What is Seiko 5 about

I've just come across a Seiko 5 watch on the net and it really reminds me of the Seiko my dad has, maybe from the 70s or even earlier. A nice gold number. Looking a bit more in to it I found out the 5 stands for the 5 element a 5 watch must have:
    1. Automatic
    2. Water Proof
    3. Shock Proof
    4. Date
    5. Day
    So is the Seiko 5 a vintage thing or a retro thing or just a Seiko budget thing as at sub £100 for a automatic Seiko sound pretty good value to me. I get the impression the ones you can buy of the net now are made in Korea not Japan and the movement has changed from 7009 to a 7S26 from the earlier ones.
    Does anyone know more about the Seiko 5 collection, when did it first get introduced?

Re: What is Seiko 5 about

To me, a Seiko 5 is an inexpensive automatic watch that can be suited for many different tasks. I've always had the urge to buy one for fun, but something always stopped me.

Yeah inexpensive is the impression I get. But still as a budget but nice looking dress watch with everyday uses, that is an auto I thought it had potential as a new additional.

Craftsman

Seiko 5's are all about excellent value for money. There are a huge number of variations not many are retro styled. Exactly the same watch can be a J or a K version depending on where they are made. I don't think there is anything to choose between the versions quality wise but the J versions are more expensive both new and second hand.

Robust and sufficient quality at the price point to give very good value for money. I would guess that the price point is only possible due to economies of scale. Seem to be very well regarded by a large number of people.

Both retro and current really...
    You obviously already know about the meaning of the 5.
    Introduced in the 70s, there are hundreds of them around.
    Modern Seiko 5 also use the 7S36 caliber

So does anyone know how the modern 7S26 compares to the old 7009 movements?

Not sure how they compare, but from what I understand the 7s26 is quite a decent movement, the 7s36 is better yet

Quote Originally Posted by MBUK
    Yeah inexpensive is the impression I get. But still as a budget but nice looking dress watch with everyday uses, that is an auto I thought it had potential as a new additional.
    You could be paying as much as 500 GBP for some JDM 5s. It all depends in what kind of case they are in. But yes in general they are at the inexpensive end.

john
    Every watch a story.

So does anyone know how the modern 7S26 compares to the old 7009 movements?
    According to my watch maker the main difference is that the 7S26 uses more plastic parts and so is cheaper to produce. He prefers the 700x series.

Blog Entries

just a Seiko budget thing as at sub £100 for a automatic Seiko sound pretty good value to me.
    That's it, they are a budget range. But very good value for money.

There's a huge range of 5s, most of which are never seen in the UK. I found a website (focussing on south east Asia and perhaps China) a little while ago with a vast range of them (sorry, can't find the site now) and I was surprised how many were homages to the likes of JLC, Blancpain, etc. Most intriguing.

Seiko 5 is a throwback to pre-quartz days, when "cooking" watches had to be mechanical. Designed for simple robustness and functionality, without geneva stripes or ornamentation of the movement.

For me the 5 range is hard to beat for an 'everyday' mechanical watch at an entry level price.
    Compared to the offerings in say H Samuel's window at the same price I'd go with the Seiko every time.

I've never heard a bad word spoken about the seiko mosters that also share the 7S36 with the seiko '5's. Interested in reports on accuracy for this movement. Non hacking or winding appears to be shortfalls but acceptable at the price point.

I've had a Seiko 5 for about six years, still working nicely not massively accurate now though, gains about five minutes a week.

Grand Master

I've just come across a Seiko 5 watch on the net and it really reminds me of the Seiko my dad has, maybe from the 70s or even earlier. A nice gold number. Looking a bit more in to it I found out the 5 stands for the 5 element a 5 watch must have:
    1. Automatic
    2. Water Proof
    3. Shock Proof
    4. Date
    5. Day
    So is the Seiko 5 a vintage thing or a retro thing
    it's just a "Seiko 5"; in constant production since the mid 1960s. They look completely different and are powered by different movements than the first ones, but share a sub-brand and identity. A "budget thing" if you like although you can pay many hundreds for the best ones.

Models ending in a J, or Jx where x is a low number, and are Japan-made although the cases might have been cast in China or elsewhere. The rest have Japan movements but are assembled in places like Malaysia, China, Singapore (the K on the end does not necessarily signify Korea).

Movements are both 7s26 and 7s36, as said. The 7009 disappeared 15 years ago or more, although I read somewhere that it still soldiers on in various Orients.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Cheap and cheerful. Me and Mrs S both have a cheap 5 to use on hols

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    I've never heard a bad word spoken about the seiko mosters that also share the 7S36 with the seiko '5's. Interested in reports on accuracy for this movement. Non hacking or winding appears to be shortfalls but acceptable at the price point.

I have an Orange Monster which is about 9 months old.....currently gains about a minute every two or three days.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev

I have an Orange Monster which is about 9 months old.....currently gains about a minute every two or three days.
    Similar with a Seiko 5 "seaurchin" I have had for about 2 years, possibly slightly better.

+ 15-20 seconds is definitely not abnormal for the 7S26. You can have it regulated better or try yourself.

Master

I love the Seiko 5's. I just wish they had a handwinding option so that I don't have to reset it when I wear another watch for a couple of days but hey-ho that's autos for you! :roll:

Cheers eveyone for the brilliant feedback. Reckon I need to have a good search at what 5s are for sell both old and new.
    Very interesting that the 7009 movements might be used in some Orient watches.

I have been wearing a Seiko 5 sports for work, for the last couple of years. I wanted a cheap auto to wear as a beater and as you can see from the picture it does take a beating!

It's a Japan model with the 7S36 movement that loses around 10 to 12 secs a day. Which is pretty damn good for a hundred quid watch that takes more knocks and bangs in a week than most would take in a life time.*

The only thing that let's it down is the lack of hand winding which means I have to stand in the bedroom on a Monday morning doing a rather conspicuous hand movement! But at that price what do you expect.*

Quote Originally Posted by lencoth

+ 15-20 seconds is definitely not abnormal for the 7S26. You can have it regulated better or try yourself.

To be honest it doesn't bother me enough to get it regulated....I tend to wear my watches for about 2 or 3 days at a time, so when it goes a few minutes astray it's seems like a good opportunity to crank up one of my others rather than reset it.

so when it goes a few minutes astray it's seems like a good opportunity to crank up one of my others rather than reset it.
    That's the spirit :)

Master

I'm very fond of my old 5 although I hardly ever wear it. Had it since new in 1990.

Keeps time well (when I do put it on!) and I think it's got a rather pleasant understated feel to it.

Journeyman

The Seiko 5s represent excellent value for money and seem to go on for years Ive a few early ones and they are still going strong and keeping good time , can't beat them really imho

I got one about 9 months ago, just use it for messing about in. Keeps good time and takes a bit of stick when playing with kids.

Scuse the quick Iphone pic

Malc

I used to have a lovely carbon effect 5, which I stupidly sold (the only watch I've ever sold, doh!)

Journeyman

I love Seiko 5's, they're great reliable watches made in an incredible variety of styles. I own them from early ones to my current daily beater which is only a year old.

One of my earlier ones, a mid 60's Sportsmatic Deluxe...

And my everyday beater that puts up with a lot punishment in work.....