closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should every man own a watch?

Re: Should every man own a watch?

It is really rare for a man doesn't own a watch.

Master

if he has a penis.

Craftsman

I couldn;t get by without a watch, but a cheap quartz would do the job perfectly. If we're honest then almost all the watches seen on here are unecessary, but we still love them! The jewellery element is an interesting point - watches are one of the only bits of jewellery that many men wear so why not have something nice.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    Yes, TZers..this is going to hurt but I've met people who do not only not wear a watch, but don't own one at all. :shock:

Are these real men?

Have they just not grown up yet?
    I think this needs qualification; I've seen 'men' wearing these things:

And worse, these :shock: :

Clearly not 'real watches' as worn by 'real men' :albino:

Why is the question about men owning watches? What about women? Is a watch supposed to be a symbol of masculinity? Or are men meant to be into gadgets in order to be real men?

Definitely yes, I work with a bloke that doesn't have one or a phone either and he is constantly asking the time from everybody else, gets really annoying after a while. :D

Yes! I leave mu multiple blackberrys at home when out with wife and kids

Master

Yes.

I feel naked without one at any time ,even including in bed at night & reckon if i left home without one i would have to buy one on the way to work rather than go the day without!

This is whilst carrying a phone + blackberry, which it would probably not even occur to me to use as a time reading device because that is what my wrist is for! Also like those above these devices are ditched at every opportunity as i only want to be connected to work during certain hours, otherwise it's my time.

I, as others, find it very odd that a grown man (who has to be anywhere/do anything) can live a life without a watch. I do get the carefree hippy approach of not caring or being beholden to time, but don't see my heading down that route anytime soon.

Had the same watch on 24/7 for thirty years or more, when it went for service it was like going out and forgetting to put your socks on, but then some men do that deliberately !!!!

Journeyman

At work (scinetific field) very few people show interest for watches and many do not wear a watch at all. Not the same status as for bankers for example

Craftsman

If he wants to!
    I love watches but still do not wear one all the time; sometimes I don't want to know the time, sometimes I don't need to know the time and sometimes I cannot avoid seeing the time allaround me.
    For me there are 3 reasons to have a watch:
    1. To tell the time;
    2. As a piece of jewelry to make you feel good or impress others;
    3. Because you love watches as great pieces of art/engineering.

Whether you wear one and when surely depends on a blend of the three points above.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy4life
    At work (scinetific field)
    I'm sure it's some kind of field :lol:

I think that generally those who don't wear watches are those who don't have to work to deadlines, fucking hippies.

For me my watches are a way to show my taste/personality (no that anyone notices them :roll:) but I understand that a lot of men don't feel this way about watches. So I really can't be bothered if they don't wear any, for instance because they simply don't like wearing anything on the wrist. Live and let live...

By the way: I think I'm (or we are) the abnormal one, not they! :D

Master

I believe that watches were invented purely as a means to tell the time. Not everyone wants to be able to tell the time while out & about, many of those who do have a mobile phone as already pointed out, and are happy with the timekeeping provided by that. So - no. Not every man (or woman) should own a watch.

Of course watches transcended their original purpose a long time ago and are accessories. But like ties and cufflinks, they aren't usually a necessary accessory.

Personally, I wouldn't go out without one on. But those who choose not to because they have other means for timekeeping are at least, in a sense, honouring the wristwatch in its original purpose.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    A man without a watch is like a mixer without scotch.

john
    I don't know what to make of this. Are you seriously mixing things into your whisky?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Not every man (or woman) should own a watch.
    This is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    But those who choose not to because they have other means for timekeeping are at least, in a sense, honouring the wristwatch in its original purpose.
    Well put sir.

I'd like to think it could be compulsory, but I try to accept that people are different.

no discussion, every man needs to have a watch

My watch make me feel good!

We all love watches, thats why we spend most of our waking hours on forums such as this.

Not everyone shares our passion so dont be too harsh on those that feel a watch isnt a vital part of their wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    There's worse than that about. I've heard of folk who only own one watch..........
    Surely that's better?

Yes, if only to add a greater number and variety of watches to the pre owned market.