closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need advice please on Firefly watches in UK

Apprentice

Need advice please on Firefly watches in UK

Anyone have prior experience with this business.

2 weeks ago I bought a Oriosa Vintage Dive watch from them on the bay.

I have not left feedback yet nor have I contacted them yet (That is my next step)

I'm in the states and recieved watch less than a week ago.

I understood when I purchased it that I was buying a vintage watch with no warranty.

They seemed repitable and have 99.8% positive feedback.

I noticed the watch had some condensation under the crystal I have not taking it swimming/diving it was worn once in the shower. I've had condensation in a watch before no big deal. They said they cleaned it so I was thinking maybee the screw on back was loose or a gasket was worn. I accept that no problem so I took it to local watchmaker (who is a very nice and knowledgable Romania gentilmen).

He calls me and says the the crown and stem had been replaced recently and it was not a screw down crown in fact it wasn't even a dust proof crown no gasket at all.

He said it was a plain metal tube that looked like it had been filed to get the crown to fit on it.

He said he the watch was already rusting inside and would need to be cleaned again.

He said he could fix it and put in a screw in stem and crown with gasket, clean it and water test it for $200.

He thought the shop that sold it should have caught this.

Either they missed it or ignored it or they did a terrible job replacing the crown.......

I feel they mis-represented the condition of the watch.

I accept the fact that I bought a used watch in used condition with out a warranty.

I expected to possibly need to have it cleaned or have gaskets replaced ect. But again feel it was not as advertised.

Should I email them? And see how the respond?
    I could leave negative feedback and file a claim with PayPal.

Or should I just accept the fact that I bought a used watch that has risk and caulk it up to experience?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/290613221819?ss ... 595wt_1111

Thanks for you inputs.

Re: Need advice please on Firefly watches in UK

They misrepresented it in my opinion. Nowhere on the auction does it state that the crown had been replaced. I'd ask for my money back.

Should I email them? And see how the respond?
    I could leave negative feedback and file a claim with PayPal.
    seems the obvious route

Apprentice

My watchmaker did say it has a good solid ETA and is otherwise an ok watch that would probably last along time.

I have emailed Firefly and asked for either a $100 refund to split cost of repair (as stated I expected to at least have it cleaned and lubed and possibly replace a gasket)

Or for a complete refund.

We shall see.....

Firefly has been discussed before, they have done some shoddy stuff: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191407
    And loads of stuff documented on SCWF, start here for example: http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/t ... 943.0.html

Similar seller as 'Beejoo' it seems.

Apprentice

Thanks. I should have done a google serch on them before I bought it. Most recent post here on TZ-UK was on the Oct 3 rd unfortunately I bought on the 2 nd.

I mistakenly thought a 99.8% positive feedback ment something......

Apprentice

Actually she has responded favorably looks like they re trying to do the right thing.

Dear briaboy,

Hi first let me apologies as I was totally unaware this was the case, I thought it was original !
    So I'm really sorry about this, if you return I I will give you a complete refund and of course pay you postage.
    As you can imagine, I sell quite a few watches, I didn't inspect the crown tube quite as close as you did do I never realized it had work done to it.
    Apologies for that.
    Please return to us at the address at the bottom of the advert and I will give you a full refund including costs.
    This is rather embarrassing for me as I always try and make sure things are right, :-/
    Sorry I missed this.
    Kind Regards
    Julie

Need advice please on Firefly watches in UK

I nearly bought a watch from them but luckily I read a thread on T-Z re there antics hope you get it sorted they take low light photos and describe everything as huge or massive good luck and don't give in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well sounds like a result, a pain in the backside but a result.

Decent outcome however does anyone believe for a second she didn't know it was a frankenwatch?

Have a look at all her other listings. All "rare" and "original" watches shot in poor light.

If they were open about it I wouldn't mind but it's blatant misrepresentation.

Quote Originally Posted by schmy
    Decent outcome however does anyone believe for a second she didn't know it was a frankenwatch?

Have a look at all her other listings. All "rare" and "original" watches shot in poor light.

If they were open about it I wouldn't mind but it's blatant misrepresentation.
    and here lies the problem with ebay!!

looks trustworthy but it aint!

Quote Originally Posted by 12 bar
    Actually she has responded favorably looks like they re trying to do the right thing.

Dear briaboy,

Hi first let me apologies as I was totally unaware this was the case, I thought it was original !
    So I'm really sorry about this, if you return I I will give you a complete refund and of course pay you postage.
    As you can imagine, I sell quite a few watches, I didn't inspect the crown tube quite as close as you did do I never realized it had work done to it.
    Apologies for that.
    Please return to us at the address at the bottom of the advert and I will give you a full refund including costs.
    This is rather embarrassing for me as I always try and make sure things are right, :-/
    Sorry I missed this.
    Kind Regards
    Julie
    Cant say fairer than that IMO. I have bought from Julie before and have been very pleased with the watches i have bought from her. As she said the volume that they deal in will always incur a few problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 bar

Dear briaboy,

Apologies for that.
    Sorry I missed this.
    Kind Regards
    Julie
    Good to see they are doing the decent thing on this one...

Apprentice

In all fairness to them, they have contacted me twice confirming that I am returning the watch, appoligizing for the situation and have assured me a refund once they recieve the watch.

Considering it is a vintage watch bought without a warranty I feel they are being more than fair.

Can't comment on others experiences with them but in my case their customer service and follow through seems genuine.

Cheers,

Earl

Apprentice

Wanted to post some follow up. They recieved the watch back and a full refund was issued.

All in all I 'm impressed with their follow up and customer service and I would buy from them again!

Thank you Julie.

Regarding eBay in general. I know there are some scammers out there but I have to say I have had good experiences in just about everything I have purchased/sold and have made a few friends along the way.

I have bought 4 guitars, 2 amps, several guitar cases, a lot of wood used to build a few guitars, guitar parts, tools, a few watches and have never really had a bad experience.

Cheers all

Earl