closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about buying a TV

Teach me about buying a TV

Ok i'm in the market for a new TV, but dont have a clue what makes a good one? I know with a computer you look at Ram, speed, memory etc but what makes a good TV?
    I am looking at about £750 and 37" to 47", what makes are good and what features make them good?

All i really want to do is pug in Sky HD and watch it not really looking for 3D or any other features other than a good picture and sound.

I know there are some AV buffs on here so any advice welcome please.

Re: Teach me about buying a TV

I was in the same dilema a few weeks ago, took some advice from here and ended up going 42" LCD Panasonic, Freeview and HD. From John Lewis I got a free 5 year warranty too. It was about £650 - can't find it in stock now.

The picture quality is the best I've ever seen bar none. It arrived, I plugged it in, selected channels and sat down to watch TV :)

Then went out and bought a Panasonic combined Blu Ray/DVD/etc player for about £80.

Next a Panasonic home cinema kit :)
    Gray

Personally I'd go for a Panasonic Plasma TV as well if I were you - much better than LCD TVs :twisted:

Deeper blacks, faster response times and none of that backlit rubbish.

And if anybody mentions Image Retention I'll brand NO on their forehead with my trusty laser pen.

You probably couldn't go too far wrong with this Panasonic from John Lewis

Pansonic 46" Plasma 3D TV

Reviewed Here

Right, that's that can of worms opened :)

Prices seem to go up the more whizzy features you have eg internet connectable, 3d, etc. I would try and find a shop with a good selection to actually look at. John Lewis is always good for the 5 year warranty and the possibility of price matching. Also, sales assistants tend to have at least a clue about the products they are selling (unlike the currys/comet stores).

Big fan of Amazon, loads of choice, loads of reviews and best of all the used like new options. Recently bought a 46" Sony internet TV for £500 delivered. Only thing wrong was a few tiny hairline scratches on the piano black surround. This price was £170 cheaper than the cheapest I could find on the net and £300 pound cheaper than the "brand new" version from Amazon

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jbrazier
    And if anybody mentions Image Retention
    I will then. I recently bought the latest 50GT30B Panasonic Plasma TV and in less than two months it developed image retention (Sky News logo). Fortunately I did buy it from John Lewis and they allowed me to exchange it.

Be warned though that both the Panasonic and John Lewis guarantees specifically exclude problems arising out of image retention.

Personally I'd go for a Panasonic Plasma TV as well if I were you - much better than LCD TVs :twisted:

Not in my house Mr :wink:

LCD rules :P
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack
    I will then. I recently bought the latest 50GT30B Panasonic Plasma TV and in less than two months it developed image retention (Sky News logo). Fortunately I did buy it from John Lewis and they allowed me to exchange it.

Be warned though that both the Panasonic and John Lewis guarantees specifically exclude problems arising out of image retention.
    If you leave your TV on for many hours at time with a static symbol that image will be retained. My three-year-old expensive Dell LCD monitor does it but if there are ways to fix it. My 20-month old 50" Panasonic plasma shows no image retention. Because I'm aware of it I don't allow station idents to be on screen too long. I simply switch channels for a while.

... and in less than two months it developed image retention (Sky News logo)...
    So, out of interest, how long did you leave it tuned into Sky News for the logo to burn into the screen - presumably permanently if you exchanged it?

These sets are designed so that the individual pixels flicker so that the image isn't burned in. And even if you do get some image retention switching to another channel without the logo is supposed to clear it anyway.

I can safely say that having had mine for over 2 years now I've never suffered from image retention.

A big factor seems to be the size of the room, and at what point the image is resolved to the point where it doesn't matter what you are watching, they will all look the same, I have never been a fan of Samsung tellys but their new full LCD thin ones with browsers are very nice, From memory it's the 7000 and 9000 range, if mine goes bang I'll be buying one.

Master
    Blog Entries

We bought a new TV 2 years back, quite depressing as too much choice...

Found it easier to decide on the make [Panasonic, as old TV was and HDR is] then the technology [Plasma] - then go for screen size [based on room size and how far away you sit] then get best version in your price range.

I'm happy with our choice, glad I talked the wife up from 42" to 46".

Master

Our plasmas at work are on 24/7 with no image retention. At least no one talks about plasma gas escaping nowadays !

Had the same problem a while back, researched on the web & found this :shock: an independant knowledgable forum, with just x6 drop down menus, automatically selects your best tv for you based on your own values & then finds the best price :D
    I also used it to download a patch which then upgraded my Samsung LCD to German specs, thereby significantly improving performance.
    Regards M.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/selector.php

I would recommend reading the latest issue of a couple of the Home Cinema magazines and then choosing from their No.1 TV (and then searching the web for the best price).

Go for the largest screen size your room (and SWMBO) allows as you'll get used to the size pretty quickly and probably wish you'd gone bigger! :)

Master

... and in less than two months it developed image retention (Sky News logo)...
    So, out of interest, how long did you leave it tuned into Sky News for the logo to burn into the screen - presumably permanently if you exchanged it?

These sets are designed so that the individual pixels flicker so that the image isn't burned in. And even if you do get some image retention switching to another channel without the logo is supposed to clear it anyway.

I can safely say that having had mine for over 2 years now I've never suffered from image retention.
    In all honesty I don't know as it was being watched whilst I was out at work. Indeed the pixel orbiter can only be set to on or auto, and not off, however clearly it is not foolproof. I also tried clearing the IR with the scrolling bar and playing analogue interference overnight and nothing.

Needless to say 24hr news channels are now banned from the replacement set, albeit only for extended periods, but isn't having to resort to this a bit crap?

Yes, but it's the nature of the current tech. The tech itself is little short of miraculous when you see under the microscope what it actually is.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide ... splay.html

i think im right in saying Panasonic aquired the R&D amongst other things from the now defunct Pioneer TV arm to use in their current plasma models

if you want to see what a brilliant TV picutre should be like then hunt down a pioneer and have a gander.

as for me i have 2 panasonic plasma's in the house one for gaming and sports upstairs (42inch g10) and the down stairs family TV that is a 42inch GT30 both from JL.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp
    i think im right in saying Panasonic aquired the R&D amongst other things from the now defunct Pioneer TV arm to use in their current plasma models

if you want to see what a brilliant TV picutre should be like then hunt down a pioneer and have a gander.

as for me i have 2 panasonic plasma's in the house one for gaming and sports upstairs (42inch g10) and the down stairs family TV that is a 42inch GT30 both from JL.
    Pretty much correct, the current Panasonics use Pioneer's PDP Black panel tech, so no need to hunt down that Pioneer as the current Vieras have the same tech in them (plus Panasonic's video processing, which was better than Pioneer's)

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    A big factor seems to be the size of the room, and at what point the image is resolved to the point where it doesn't matter what you are watching, they will all look the same, I have never been a fan of Samsung tellys but their new full LCD thin ones with browsers are very nice, From memory it's the 7000 and 9000 range, if mine goes bang I'll be buying one.
    Series 8 I think is the one to go for LED with super thin picture fram surround, not only looks fantastic but the picture is one of the best I have ever seen - hooks up to iplayer, skype with camera on the frame and lots of other nice little touches 8)
    It's just a matter of time...

Panasonic 42 Plasma - about 4 years old - no image rentention - the doggies

Sony 32 Internet LED TV - about 6 months old - OK - not as good as the Plasma. Internet usless because bandwidth issues.

Toshiba 26" LED/LCD (for my study) - about 32 months - great picture however the response time on the remote is so slow its actually quicker to stand-up cross the room to change channel

Plasma all the way for me. Focus on the picture and sound quality and bin all the fancy add-ons.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I think, if I understood correctly from the Pioneer bloke in Japan, that it was the other way around. Pioneer used Panasonic panels ( as Panasonic are the only ones who actually make plasma panels ) and were usually a generation or two behind the Panasonic current panel, as naturally Panasonic kept their most recent tech for themselves. Pioneer then used their own screen coating, which was, simply, blacker than Panasonic's. This created the much lauded Pioneer Kuro ( which just means "black" in Japanese ) and a legend was born. Legends once born tend to perpetuate themselves in internet land, as people who have never seen a "Kuro" would still wax lyrical about it's "deepest blacks" 8)

The Panasonic gent I talked to later said, perhaps a little huffily, that Panasonic preferred their own screen coating. I saw both in dedicated-room setups, and both .. were awesome. The newer Panasonic panels had greater native contrast, with a less dramatic screen coating, so it was a wash as far as black level went. But as Pioneer had given up on the market, I bought the Panasonic. I've had it a year or so. No trouble with burn in. It is a phenomenal picture. The lights do dim momentarily when I switch it on though :shock:

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    I think, if I understood correctly from the Pioneer bloke in Japan, that it was the other way around. Pioneer used Panasonic panels ( as Panasonic are the only ones who actually make plasma panels )
    Paul
    Samsung are the largest manufacturer of both panel technologies

^ Ah yes, my information was doubtless regarding "Japan" producers, sorry. Korea's electronics industry is often, err, overlooked here :wink: . The point being made was that Pioneer's Kuro sets of any given year were said to have used Panasonic panels of a previous generation, with a blacker screen coating - but both looked tremendous.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    ^ Ah yes, my information was doubtless regarding "Japan" producers, sorry. Korea's electronics industry is often, err, overlooked here :wink: . The point being made was that Pioneer's Kuro sets of any given year used Panasonic panels of a previous generation, with a blacker screen coating.

Paul

Don't a lot of AV people say that the Pioneer 5090 is the best telly ever made?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    Don't a lot of AV people say that the Pioneer 5090 is the best telly ever made?
    I wonder how many of those AV people had actually seen one, though ? I thought the Kuro and the Panasonic ( same model year, but with a more recent Panasonic PDP than the Kuro ) both looked flawless in person. Lots of armchair experts on the 'net though will repeat other people's observations and these things sort of perpetuate themselves. Pioneer went for, and succeeded, in taking the "high end" mindshare for plasma TVs, with a limited range of very high spec models. They used a dark screen coating that increased their black level, and named their range "Black", and people noticed, yes, how deep the blacks were :-). This for a while became the way AV people, especially those on forums, judged plasma TVs. Panasonic must have regretted not naming their top range "Shadow Detail" :-)

Then the cheaper LCD tech pulled the rug out from under Pioneer. They didn't play in the budget arena and having to pay for Panasonic's old panels probably didn't help their economics either. Panasonic were still increasing native contrast ratios in their PDPs long after Pioneer gave up trying to sell Kuro, but they never really actively sought the "high end" market above the mass market, as their range was much broader. As a manufacturer of panels, they had more skin in the game to continue too.

Anyway, to the OP, try and view whatever you want to buy, with a Blu-Ray and with the TV in a "normal" lighted room, not the fluorescent aircraft hangar showroom, and the "demo" display mode switched off, if poss. Look from an angle as well as straight on. Try some fast-moving sports or action films if that is your thing. The "demo" disks manufacturers give shops to play often miss out such tricky things as sideways panning, and smooth gradient skies, which do not always look too good on all sets. The specs for both plasma and LCD are bewildering and largely marketing nonsense. If you can tell the difference, great, if not ... don't pay for it, even if a mag says the "600Hz refresh and SmoovMotion LED backlight tech is incredible...etc.". Get a decent guarantee, though, whatever.

Paul

Teach me about buying a TV

I'd say Samsung smart tvs are possibly the best in the market at the moment. Simply outstanding.

Deeper blacks, faster response times and none of that backlit rubbish.

And if anybody mentions Image Retention I'll brand NO on their forehead with my trusty laser pen.

You probably couldn't go too far wrong with this Panasonic from John Lewis

Pansonic 46" Plasma 3D TV

Reviewed Here

+1

I have a Pioneer 5090 is the picture is pretty fantastic. If you are thinking of a large sized TV then I would alway recommend a plasma. Unless you are sitting directly infront of a LCD the colour dilutes. ie if you look at teh side red becomes pink. No such problem with a plamsa. I personally prefer the picture from a plasma as they seem more natural and less processed.

Master

We're probably be buying a LCD/plasma early next year, so I'm going through the same process now, in anticipation.

I've enjoyed playing around with the Sony tool. Print off a test card on A4 paper, stick it where you want the telly, take a photo of your living room from the couch, upload to the website and hey presto, a TV is in your room and you can try different TV sizes.

http://www.sony.co.uk/article/tv-size-guide

I've always assumed that I'd just get a Panasonic plasma of around 42". But I was talking to a chap in Sevenoaks who reckoned that LCDs are better because they're brighter and so are less affected by light through windows etc. They sell both plasmas and LCDs, so I don't know if he was talking rubbish. Any experts on here have an opinion on that?

Grand Master

My experience with an LCD TV hasn`t been good. I bought a 40" Samsung in 2007 when the prices were much higher; I paid around £800.

2.5 yrs later it developed a fault due to capacitor failure in its power supply....nothing to do with the screen technology, simply a case of poor quality components (or assembly). 3 months later another fault had to be fixed, giving a total outlay of £100 on repairs (local shop, good rates :) ) Hopefully it'll last a year or 2 longer.

I thought I`d been unlucky, but I`m told that modern TVs are less reliable than the last CRT models. OK, the prices are cheap, but there's a big question over quality.

I`m not a fan of extended warranties but I`d definitely consider it for a TV. I reckon we've gone backwards by 30 yrs in terms of reliability.

I'm told that Panasonic are the best quality within their price range; as for the LCD vs Plasma I prefer Plasma for watching sports etc. and I sometimes wish I`d bought one.

Re. size, I would buy the biggest that will sensibly suit the room; no point in getting one too small but equally unwise to get one that's too big. Sound quality tends to be better on the bigger (and more expensive) sets, a point which gets overlooked.

Finally, don`t skimp on aerial leads. Use the best quality satellite-grade co-ax cable to minimise problems with digital transmissions.....I learnt this lesson the hard way :( .

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gray

Not in my house Mr :wink:

LCD rules :P

+1 my LCD competes with any plasma I've seen (I'm a Panasonic TV dealer too ) and plasma still suffers from image burn too as well as banging up your electric bill.

Rod

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    +1 my LCD competes with any plasma I've seen (I'm a Panasonic TV dealer too ) and plasma still suffers from image burn too as well as banging up your electric bill.

Rod
    Can you tell me why, please? Since you're a dealer you will have had loads of experience of different sets, so why do you choose the TV you have?

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.

Rod
    Can you tell me why, please? Since you're a dealer you will have had loads of experience of different sets, so why do you choose the TV you have?
    Generally if your looking for a tv up to 42" LCD is a better bet. One time you could say that the 'black' detail was better on a plasma but LCD has caught up now. LCD offers better resolution too and the better quality panels are more viewable from acute viewing angles than they used to be.
    The power consumption is a lot lower too so is more eco friendly. They also weigh less than plasmas.
    However if your looking for 46-50" screens your options are more for plasma.
    As far as I'm concerned I've had most makes through my hands and Panasonic are top of the tree and the most reliable.

Rod

Master

Anyone seen the Moth-Eye filter TVs from Phillips and Sharp (I think)?

Thomas Reid

Don't do it!

Best wishes,
    Bob

I posed the very same question back in December 2009 when my 10 year old CRT Sony went pop:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102468

In the end I went with the Panasonic TXP42X10. 42" plasma. It's been great, especially since I upgraded to Sky HD. I only paid £499, but you can get them for just £449 which has to be a bargain...great reviews too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... ewpoints=1

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.

Rod
    Generally if your looking for a tv up to 42" LCD is a better bet. One time you could say that the 'black' detail was better on a plasma but LCD has caught up now. LCD offers better resolution too and the better quality panels are more viewable from acute viewing angles than they used to be.
    The power consumption is a lot lower too so is more eco friendly. They also weigh less than plasmas.
    However if your looking for 46-50" screens your options are more for plasma.
    As far as I'm concerned I've had most makes through my hands and Panasonic are top of the tree and the most reliable.

Rod
    Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e
    I'd say Samsung smart tvs are possibly the best in the market at the moment. Simply outstanding.
    Why? Tell me more.

I'm also looking for a new TV and I'm attracted to the Samsung Smarts because of their connectivity and possible future link-ups with my Android phone.

(By the way, I currently watch a Toshiba CRT TV bought in 1993. It cost a grand at the time.)

I too went for a Panasonic plasma (42"), and am very happy with it. There are lots of recommendations on here and on Pistonheads for it, they are there for a reason! :)

Especially now we have our own resident Samsung engineer :D

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Why? Tell me more.

I'm also looking for a new TV and I'm attracted to the Samsung Smarts because of their connectivity and possible future link-ups with my Android phone.

(By the way, I currently watch a Toshiba CRT TV bought in 1993. It cost a grand at the time.)
    Hi, I went through the process of choosing a new TV in June. I did a lot of research and read a myriad of reviews, comparisons, reports etc. I ended up choosing a large Samsung Smart TV (8000, I think) based on my research. It's a few months ago, so I can't remember all the details... What I do remember is that: (1) it has, according to my sources, the best 3D technology out there, (2) it has almost no frame/bezel around the screen, which is really impressive, (3) it's super thin, (4) it's got every connection you can think of, even a built-in satellite decoder, which appealed to me, (5) its internet-based stuff is pretty impressive and I use it all the time, (6) the picture quality, brightness, contrast, blacks are outstanding, (7) you can do amazing things when you get a Galaxy S2 as a remote control, including streaming the picture from the TV to the remote control... you know, for when you really have to go to the loo and don't want to miss any part of the game! ;)... That's all that comes to mind.

The only thing I'm not impressed by is the sound quality of the built-in speakers, which is understandable in such a flat TV. But I use an external sound system, so that's no problem.

By the way, just the other day I picked up a specialist magazine at the airport and they had just crowned the Samsung Smart TV 8000 the TV of the year, just ahead, if I remember correctly, of some Philips TV, the Sony Bravia and Toshiba Regza.

Thanks.

Not sure the 55"/3D/2 grand thing is for me but I'll certainly be looking hard at cheaper and smaller versions.

We bought a TV back in 2007 - a Pioneer Kuro 42". It was the best tv for under £2k at the time and by some distance. I think we paid about £1700 at the time.

Unfortunately, Pioneer were losing so much money on the TV, they stopped making it. However, if you can find a used kuro on ebay or anywhere else, I would highly recommend it.

Same dilema recently wet for a 46" Panasonic with Viera Cast for wathing stuff on my media server - been very please with it.

Went plasma - side by side comparision in store with a few movies of my choice I just preferred the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Thanks.

Not sure the 55"/3D/2 grand thing is for me but I'll certainly be looking hard at cheaper and smaller versions.
    They make smaller models, just as good. Just make sure it's part of the Smart TV series. Samsung is great value for money too. Cheers.

Panasonic Plasma's are very good don't go for an LCD the picture is nowhere near as good

Quote Originally Posted by NickB
    Panasonic Plasma's are very good don't go for an LCD the picture is nowhere near as good
    Sorry but that's absolute rubbish.

Rod

Master

Rod
    I agree with Rod here. A good LCD is absolutely comparable and actually have many advantages.

Master

I asked earlier in this thread if anyone had been lucky enough to have seen the upcoming Phillips 3-D TV equipped with the Moth Eye filer. Since then I spoke to someone who has seen one in action at a trade show and he tells me it was simply astounding and heralds a new benchmark in quality with amazing contrast and black levels. Won't be cheap though but still comparable with the top Samsungs. Over £2k for the 46 inch model. Plus it has the new Ambilight system. Should be interesting. There is a bit of info on the web if anyone is interested.

Re: Re: Teach me about buying a TV

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor

Rod
    I agree with Rod here. A good LCD is absolutely comparable and actually have many advantages.
    +1

Lcd is the way to go these days.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk