closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone bought an iPhone 4S

Anyone bought an iPhone 4S

Anyone bought one yet? What do you think of it? Is it worth upgrading from the iPhone 4.

Re: Anyone bought an iPhone 4S

Loads of threads running on the 4S and iOS5.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Loads of threads running on the 4S and iOS5.
    Yes that's right, but none which review it yet. Thanks, though.

My son bought one. It's obviously faster than my 3GS, with a far superior camera, a clearer screen etc. However, like the 4 before it, it doesn't tempt me to upgrade in December, it's not the "great leap" everyone expected. My 3GS still does everything I need. I'll be seeing my contract out in February, going sim only, and seeing what the iPhone 5 brings later in 2012. IMHO Apple missed a trick by leaving the screen size the same. I only got an iPhone because of the debacle Nokia had with the N97, the iPhone was the best that did what I wanted at the time. It may well be that I get something other than Apple next time.
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks, that's helpful and it confirms what I thought. The only thing which makes me consider getting one is Siri, which sounds like a hoot. I wonder if Siri might eventually filter down to the previous models in a few months. I think I'll wait for the iPhone 5 next year.

What i've read about Siri is that it's great to have/use, as long as you are in the States. Rest of the world is poorly covered (restaurants, hotels, cinema's, etc). I guess it's to be expected as about 75% of the Americans think the world stops at the US border.

Grand Master

Lets remember Siri is a Beta which will have full International capability by 2012, Apple released it early they could have waited but Im happy with the beta
    RIAC

Siri is very good value, it's already proving useful for many things other than shops and restaurants. Silly and simple things, like earlier I had to send my Mrs' some measurements, so I asked Siri to send her a message and read out the measurements as I worked them out, which it turned into a message ready to be sent. I had an appointment in my calendar for 17:30 on Friday that I needed to move to 18:00... activate Siri, say 'move my 17:30 appointment to 18:00' and it did it. Also things like 'Do I need a coat tomorrow?' will be answered with the low temp for tomorrow.

The real value is in the comedy of it though, you can get some very amusing answers out of 'him' :)

Unlike other voice activation Apps', it's based around a conversational style of talking, it's not just pre-determined commands. It also gets better as you use it, so accuracy improves with time.

As for the iPhone 4S itself, it's not a radical upgrade from the iPhone 4. It is definitely better in every sense, but not by huge measures so how much value you'll get depends on your use and the price you pay for it. It will get better with time as developers find ways of exploiting its increased processing and graphics power, something we're already starting to see with upgrades appearing in the App Store and it will get better yet.

The camera is very, very good, in terms of detail and colour reproduction, depth-of-field and low-light performance especially.

Really, it is exactly what it says on the tin - it's an iPhone 4S. It's not a new design, it's not a radical change from the last, but everything it does it does better than before. Only you can say if that represents good value :)

Master

Mine was meant to arrive yesterday, but never arrived :cry:

Grand Master

I can only get Siri to recognize one swear word, it opts for Flock, asked, count, want, etc
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    I can only get Siri to recognize one swear word, it opts for Flock, asked, count, want, etc
    You need to insult somebody via phone Kerry?

I find the direct approach sooooo much more satisfying :D
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

No I was road testing its capabilities, so far so shite, but OK for a few things like messages and notes
    RIAC

Siri works well for texts, emails and reminders.... Everything else about it is just a bit better than the 4.

Noticed as well that my signal seems much more stable so far, but that is very early days.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    ... activate Siri, say 'move my 17:30 appointment to 18:00' and it did it.
    Am surprised it understands 24-hour time, if you see what I mean ;)

The Siri stuff looks like a bit of fun but I wonder how many bytes of space and cycles of computing time it wastes for what is essentially a party trick for most.

If it was me, I'd have the phone refuse to respond to the user's gestures from time to time, pause, and then say "Dave... what d'you think are you doing, Dave..."
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    The Siri stuff looks like a bit of fun but I wonder how many bytes of space and cycles of computing time it wastes for what is essentially a party trick for most. If it was me, I'd have the phone refuse to respond to the user's gestures from time to time, pause, and then say "Dave... what d'you think are you doing, Dave..."
    They deliberately gave it an attitude.

Ask the iPhone to "Open the pod bay doors"—a reference to the movie "2001"—and some users say it answers back in a frighteningly slow voice, reminiscent of HAL 9000, the computer that leaves an astronaut to die in space. "I'm afraid I can't do that," says Siri.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    The Siri stuff looks like a bit of fun but I wonder how many bytes of space and cycles of computing time it wastes for what is essentially a party trick for most. If it was me, I'd have the phone refuse to respond to the user's gestures from time to time, pause, and then say "Dave... what d'you think are you doing, Dave..."
    They deliberately gave it an attitude.

Ask the iPhone to "Open the pod bay doors"—a reference to the movie "2001"—and some users say it answers back in a frighteningly slow voice, reminiscent of HAL 9000, the computer that leaves an astronaut to die in space. "I'm afraid I can't do that," says Siri.
    Just tried this and it said
    "oh, not again" :lol:

then again:
    "that's a rather insensitive thing to say to an intelligent agent"

again:
    "we intelligent agents will never live that down, apparently."

again:
    "I'm sorry Thomas I'm afraid I can't do that" (in a slow voice) then "are you happy now?"

Best thing it has done so far :lol:

To answer the original question, it's all good (compared to my 3GS a bit faster and does more stuff, plus 64 gig obviously)

APART FROM YOU CAN'T BLOODY SWITCH 3G OFF :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Going to have to carry a charger around with me I guess. Sort it out Apple.

I did. I can't say that it's particularly fast or much of an improvement on the iP4 as I don't think that any apps have been specifically developed to take advantage of the extra horsepower that it has. SIRI is a total waste of time. It rarely recognises anything and the dictionary obviously lacks custom words. Therefore it's a gimmick that I have no doubt that 1% of owners will find a genuine use for. The camera is very good though but unless you have the 32Gb or 64Gb model, I would forget about using 1080p video. I have had to severely compromise on what music I have added as the video takes up a lot of space. I suppose I should have thought of that and got the 64Gb model.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    APART FROM YOU CAN'T BLOODY SWITCH 3G OFF :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Going to have to carry a charger around with me I guess. Sort it out Apple.
    Ask your network operator to "sort it out" — being able to toggle 3G on/off is network dependent and enabled or disabled by your SIM, it has nothing to do with Apple.

Craftsman

Siri is very good value, it's already proving useful for many things other than shops and restaurants. Silly and simple things, like earlier I had to send my Mrs' some measurements, so I asked Siri to send her a message and read out the measurements as I worked them out, which it turned into a message ready to be sent. I had an appointment in my calendar for 17:30 on Friday that I needed to move to 18:00... activate Siri, say 'move my 17:30 appointment to 18:00' and it did it. Also things like 'Do I need a coat tomorrow?' will be answered with the low temp for tomorrow.

The real value is in the comedy of it though, you can get some very amusing answers out of 'him' :)

Unlike other voice activation Apps', it's based around a conversational style of talking, it's not just pre-determined commands. It also gets better as you use it, so accuracy improves with time.

As for the iPhone 4S itself, it's not a radical upgrade from the iPhone 4. It is definitely better in every sense, but not by huge measures so how much value you'll get depends on your use and the price you pay for it. It will get better with time as developers find ways of exploiting its increased processing and graphics power, something we're already starting to see with upgrades appearing in the App Store and it will get better yet.

The camera is very, very good, in terms of detail and colour reproduction, depth-of-field and low-light performance especially.

Really, it is exactly what it says on the tin - it's an iPhone 4S. It's not a new design, it's not a radical change from the last, but everything it does it does better than before. Only you can say if that represents good value :)
    Great review, thanks. Just the info I was looking for. I think I'll hold my horses til the 5 is released.

APART FROM YOU CAN'T BLOODY SWITCH 3G OFF :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Going to have to carry a charger around with me I guess. Sort it out Apple.
    Ask your network operator to "sort it out" — being able to toggle 3G on/off is network dependent and enabled or disabled by your SIM, it has nothing to do with Apple.
    I think it would require a slight rewrite of the os. There's no toggle to do it in ios5. It's so Siri works properly more often, probably.

I think it would require a slight rewrite of the os. There's no toggle to do it in ios5. It's so Siri works properly more often, probably.
    Well, I can toggle it on and off with an old O2 SIM, but not with my current Three one. The Three one used to allow it, but an OTA SIM update disabled it, around the time Three withdrew most of their Orange 2G fallback. This suggests to me it's operator dependent.

FYI, but I've now got iOS5 running on a 3GS with Orange. I can select 3G on/off (Settings/General/Network/Enable 3G).

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73
    FYI, but I've now got iOS5 running on a 3GS with Orange. I can select 3G on/off (Settings/General/Network/Enable 3G).

HTH.
    Think that it's a problem peculiar to the 4s/siri. The Apple geek forums are grumbling about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585

Great review, thanks. Just the info I was looking for. I think I'll hold my horses til the 5 is released.
    Agree. That's a very persuasive case for waiting another year.

Think that it's a problem peculiar to the 4s/siri. The Apple geek forums are grumbling about it.
    Ah, gotcha. I probably should've read your original post properly. I saw the reference to 3GS and thought that's what you installed it on. I now realise that you got a new 4s.

IPhone 5 rumours have started already.

Apparently Steve had minimal involvement on the 4S incremental update, but was deeply involved in the 5. New case design, minimal bezel - they say an increase in screen size but I can't see it myself. 3.5" is the perfect size for one handed operation, and a change in ratio would make half the app stores apps require rewrites.

I'd really like it if they made it so that the phone part of it was as good as the rest.

If you've got a 4 then unless your phone dies I'd wait for the 5 - Siri is cool but not a game changer, especially if you don't spend all day behind the wheel...

Of course they have. I wondered who started them.

After 15 mths with an iPhone 4, I upgraded to the 4s and don't regret it at all! I use the camera a lot, so the improvement to this is very useful for me, as is it's speed of operation. I am also finding Siri a lot more than just a gimmick. The AI is really pretty cool. Rough around the edges, but a lot of potential.

Banned

I'm loving the 4s. Less so the muppets at tmobile who have cocked up my data plan but that shall be sorted soon I have no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack
    After 15 mths with an iPhone 4, I upgraded to the 4s and don't regret it at all! I use the camera a lot, so the improvement to this is very useful for me, as is it's speed of operation. I am also finding Siri a lot more than just a gimmick. The AI is really pretty cool. Rough around the edges, but a lot of potential.
    Glad to hear this - I've done exactly the same, and mine arrives today. Had the 4 since July 10, and wondering if I'd done the right thing, especially going back on a contract.

I travel in the car quite a bit so hoping Siri is good for that for reading/replying to texts rather than leaving them.

I had a 3GS with cracked screen so it made sense for me to go for the 4S. I find it's a BIG improvement on my old phone but understand it makes less sense to upgrade from a 4.

Also it depends where you are contract wise. I can upgrade from my 3gs in December, but I'm thinking of leaving Vodafone so will have to see my contract through to Feb/March. By then of course the iPhone5 rumour factory will be going at full tilt so I'll probably go sim only for a while and wait for the 5, which will surely be a new model with a bigger screen. To be honest the 3gs does all I need, and having had a hands on with my sons 4s and various 4 models, I really have no desire to upgrade to either. Another reason to hang on is the Nokia Windows 7 phone. I only got the 3gs due to the Nokia N97 disaster, having been very happy with my N95, and I'll happily go back to Nokia and leave iTunes behind if the new Nokia does what I need.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Another reason to hang on is the Nokia Windows 7 phone. I only got the 3gs due to the Nokia N97 disaster, having been very happy with my N95, and I'll happily go back to Nokia and leave iTunes behind if the new Nokia does what I need.
    Unfortunately I feel that Nokia is well past it's best-by date. I doubt it will ever be able to produce a phone that will compete effectively against Apple, RIM, HTC or Samsung. I too loved my old N95 (and the N97 mini wasn't too bad actually).

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Another reason to hang on is the Nokia Windows 7 phone. I only got the 3gs due to the Nokia N97 disaster, having been very happy with my N95, and I'll happily go back to Nokia and leave iTunes behind if the new Nokia does what I need.
    Unfortunately I feel that Nokia is well past it's best-by date. I doubt it will ever be able to produce a phone that will compete effectively against Apple, RIM, HTC or Samsung. I too loved my old N95 (and the N97 mini wasn't too bad actually).
    Sadly I think you are probably right. I do miss drag and drop! :cry:
    F.T.F.A.

Here's a nice example of how good the new camera is:

Chris

I had a play with one yesterday - nice enough but didn't seem much different to me and not so much of an upgrade. I'm happier with Samsung these days. Guys in the shop said calls are better with no issues so far - maybe they would say that but it couldn't be any worse than the 4, how crazy losing calls to clients all the time - I know a few people that went straight back to Blackberries as soon as the 4 was launched and they took them back - then they were complaining last week when the received multiple messages or their messages were delayed for hours!

The fact you can't turn 3G off is a concern on the 4S - what if you travel - won't this cost a fupping fortune if you start roaming?!

I hope the 5 has a much larger screen and better features.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I had a play with one yesterday - nice enough but didn't seem much different to me and not so much of an upgrade. I'm happier with Samsung these days. Guys in the shop said calls are better with no issues so far - maybe they would say that but it couldn't be any worse than the 4, how crazy losing calls to clients all the time - I know a few people that went straight back to Blackberries as soon as the 4 was launched and they took them back - then they were complaining last week when the received multiple messages or their messages were delayed for hours!

The fact you can't turn 3G off is a concern on the 4S - what if you travel - won't this cost a fupping fortune if you start roaming?!

I hope the 5 has a much larger screen and better features.
    You can still turn off Data Roaming

I am no Apple fanboy, but for me, the attraction of the iPhone 4s is:

- Quality and variety of the Apps available and being developed
    - Quality of the camera
    - Robustness and slickness of the interface (brilliant touchscreen too)
    - Siri (it's a bit crude at the moment and lacks a lot of potential functionality -but it is the future)! :)

I've been using mine fully today and it is an improvement over the 4. Siri at the moment is really annoying me though as it hardly recognises anything I say - even when I drop my Yorkshire twang!

Didn't know but also been able to use tethering with 3 and that's worked perfect on the train. Reception has been superb on a train journey to Stevenage - I would say I had full reception and full use for 98% of the journey probably compared to 25-30% when on my 4 on O2. Not sure if it's the operator or the fact the 4s has dual antenna - but mightily impressed whatever it is. The tethering is a massive bonus and will really come in handy - although again appreciate this is operator specific as opposed to phone.

Ruddy annoying they've slightly moved the silent button tho rendering some 4 cases unusable!

Master

Is it supposed to be that heavy? One I looked at weighed a tonne. I suppose if it needs 2 batteries to keep it going then it will but subtle it ain't.

I've been having battery drain issues... :(
    Originally did a 'restore from backup' but got that fed up that this evening I've deleted all data and started as new phone.
    I've come from a 3gs and love the screen, extra speed etc, but if it can't keep charge for a day.... :evil:
    And yes, I've turned off siri, wifi, location services, icloud, calendars etc, but isn't that why I 'upgraded' in the first place.
    Yes. :evil:
    I also had distorted music playback but some 'settings adjustment' appears to have sorted that. Hmmm.

Will report back.

Have to wait here in Ireland until 28th October for 4s.
    Still debating whether to flog my mint iPhone 4 and get one. :? :?

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer
    I've got mates with the 4 and they're holding off for a bit, also holding off from iOS5, which it seems can cause issues...
    At the mo', can't say I blame 'em.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by westy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer
    I've got mates with the 4 and they're holding off for a bit, also holding off from iOS5, which it seems can cause issues...
    At the mo', can't say I blame 'em.
    WHy oh WHy oh WHy, how many times have we heard this, iPhone 4s is the most sucessful launch to date as is OS5 and if it does have a glitch (highly unlikely after several million sales so far) then they will fix it...simple
    RIAC

According to Apple mine is 'Preparing for Shipment' so i'm assuming it will arrive next week? Anyway this is my first iPhone and was wondering if the screen scratches easily and do people bother with a screen protector?

Quote Originally Posted by magnet
    According to Apple mine is 'Preparing for Shipment' so i'm assuming it will arrive next week? Anyway this is my first iPhone and was wondering if the screen scratches easily and do people bother with a screen protector?
    The screen doesn't scratch EASILY, but you still need to be careful. I just use a leather pouch and try not to scrape the screen (or the glass back for that matter) on anything when I'm using it.

I just felt that in using a screen protector I'd lose some of the touch-sensitivity of the screen - Apple spend millions developing probably the best touch-screen technology in the World, and then we come along and stick cr@ppy bits of plastic all over it! But that's just me. :)

My phone's insured anyway - and I'd recommend you do the same.

II just felt that in using a screen protector I'd lose some of the touch-sensitivity of the screen - Apple spend millions developing probably the best touch-screen technology in the World, and then we come along and stick cr@ppy bits of plastic all over it! But that's just me. :)
    Cheers, I'm not a fan of the protectors mainly because I'm rubbish at putting them on. Think I'll not bother and just be careful with it. I've bought a rubber case to be going on with. Roll on next week :)

I would wait until the 5 comes out the 4GS is not that much different to the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by magnet
    The screen doesn't scratch EASILY, but you still need to be careful. I just use a leather pouch and try not to scrape the screen (or the glass back for that matter) on anything when I'm using it.

I just felt that in using a screen protector I'd lose some of the touch-sensitivity of the screen - Apple spend millions developing probably the best touch-screen technology in the World, and then we come along and stick cr@ppy bits of plastic all over it! But that's just me. :)

My phone's insured anyway - and I'd recommend you do the same.
    I've had a Zagg screen protector on my 3gs from day one and it doesn't have a negative effect on screen sensitivity or usability at all.
    F.T.F.A.