closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Size Is Relative - Sinn 356

Master

Size Is Relative - Sinn 356

I've always loved the look of the Sinn 356, but have dismissed it time and time again due to it's relatively small case diameter of 38.5mm. I tend to wear 40-42mm and I've previously owned but sold a Speedbird 3 as I thought it was a touch too small at 39mm for my 7.5" wrist. However, every time I see a 356 come up for sale the urge gets stronger and stronger to buy one.

Last week I saw another on the Sales Corner and finally cracked. My thinking was it's a popular watch so I'll just flip it when the inevitable happens and I realise that it's too small. Anyway, it arrived Saturday morning, I opened the box and immediately though, "yep, it's tiny just as I imagined it would be". I put it on and although it still looked small, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The 14mm thick case with the domed acrylic crystal really gives it some wrist presence and it has bags of character.

So I've worn it continually for the last four days and all of sudden it doesn't feel small at all. When I place it next to my other, larger watches it does look a little petite, but wearing it with no other size reference it looks and feels perfect. Very comfortable too. This morning a Di-Modell Chronissimo landed from ebay and apart from looking great (in my humble opinion) it also gives the watch even more wrist presence. Not bad for a "tiny" watch and it goes to show that until you try it, you'll never know.

I don't like using the term "keeper" but you wont be seeing this one up for sale any time soon ;)

Re: Size Is Relative - Sinn 356

Nice catch. I have the copper dialled version, and you're right about the size - they wear much bigger than you might expect.

regards,
    Nick

I normally wear a larger watch but bought a 39 mm Speedmasteron here recently and it has not left my wrist since!

Is there an internet echo.......

Mark

the best sinn...

Interesting point. I am like you in that I favoured 40mm+ watches, with the majority of my pieces being 42mm. Then the MKII Vantage came back up on SC and I went for it. At 39mm, I was expecting to have to force myself to like it but it provided a welcome alternative to my larger pieces. In fact, I have a 45mm piece that I haven't worn for close on a year. Oh wait, it is because it is a quartz, not because of the size. 8)

I like the look of that 356 and suspect the dial size relative to the bezel makes it 'wear' larger. Thanks for showing.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Nice catch. I have the copper dialled version, and you're right about the size - they wear much bigger than you might expect.
    I love the copper dialed ones from the photos I have seen. Never seen one in the flesh but I imagine it is stunning and changes a fair bit in different lights.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    At 39mm, I was expecting to have to force myself to like it but it provided a welcome alternative to my larger pieces.
    Exactly. I think I did have to force myself to like it for the first hour or so if I'm honest. Glad I stuck with it though.

All dial, and all that. You can also try putting the 356 on an aviator strap with a bund pad. That helps to bulk it up a little. It's a great watch - I've had two. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    I love the copper dialed ones from the photos I have seen. Never seen one in the flesh but I imagine it is stunning and changes a fair bit in different lights.
    The copper dial is difficult to capture properly in photos, but here's my attempt.

regards,
    Nick

Journeyman

39mm is a great size. Nothing over 40mm for me.

Craftsman

Ultimately all watch chemistry is abit funny...
    You never know till you try it on if you know what I mean.
    I got a 32mm dia omega that I find small but looks all right on my wrist but was skeptical the first time I bought it.

Eric

Craftsman

I wear my mid size seamaster more than anything else, so I get it....runs off to look again at 356

Journeyman

Very nice watch indeed- but 39mm is a bit to small...for my taste.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by avinci1461
    And mine....until this weekend :)

Quote Originally Posted by avinci1461
    Well, there no accounting for taste :)

Personally, I'm not that parochial about size. Some watches are bigger than others. And this a very nice example of a smaller watch, congrats.

Believe the dial works very harmoniously with the size of the underlying movement. Nothing bugs me more than i.e. >= 47mm watches that are completely out of proportion because they are build around a Valjoux 7750.

Craftsman

Nice watch - and well proportioned on the wrist. Congratulations

Give it 5 years and I'm sure we'll all be wearing watches slightly smaller than now anyway.

Master

It might just be my office, but in artificial light the copper dial just seems to wash out; get it out into the wild though and stunning is certainly the word.

39 and 40mm watches without a bezelwear like a 42/43 mm watch with a bezel in my experience. perfect size for a nice dress watch ect imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaat
    39mm is a great size. Nothing over 40mm for me.
    Me too. I can see myself inevitably getting one of these at some point.

There's just something "right" about the 356.

But not the ginger one, though. In my very humble opinion, of course. We're all entitled to one.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin
    You can also try putting the 356 on an aviator strap with a bund pad. That helps to bulk it up a little.
    Like this...

-flugzeit

The 356 looks great on it's own. Please stop huminiliating it on the cuban heel bund, it's not necessary :lol:
    Gray

Its a really lovely watch, I too had to try it, unfortunately the size was an issue for me.