closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Matrix/Digital on the wrist - The Horror, The Horror!

Active Matrix/Digital on the wrist - The Horror, The Horror!

A digital watch; abomination to some......but certainly not to me.

Funny how it goes. Buying and selling.
    I know, I know, this is not unusual. we have seen it with so many members before.
    Like a lot of people here, I started out buying and buying many many watches.
    It was several years, several thousands of watches and several thousands posts, before I even contemplated selling even one watch (at least, that is how I remember it and I am sticking to it).
    At first I bought cheap and middle of the road watches and then it escaleted into Anonimo Polluce, PAM, Rolex watches and one of my absolute favourites - the beautifully made Girard Perregaux SeaHawk/Golden Gate Yacht Club.
    In between there were (too many) mods, Certina DS3, SAR, JSAR, TSAR, CSAR, vintage watches galore, many russian watches, Zinex non-pirate GMT, 4 PRS-20, Doxa, Seiko MM, a Glycine Lagunare Big9 and many many more.
    Now the vast majority are gone. I guess an often seen WIS cycle, that many will reqognize.

Anyway, as much as I have enjoyed winding a manual watch in the morning (I like the ritual of winding a watch in the morning, the rest of the day is all downhill from there), I bought a 40£ Casio GW5600 a while ago.
    I bought it mainly for kayaking, because I had bought a DW many years ago and knew it could take some abuse.
    Though I had not worn the DW for years, I found myself liking the GW more and more. Just the sheer lack of complication with the watch; always on time, no worry.
    No, I do not NEED to know the exact time. At least, that is how I used to think of it. I guess, I still do not need the exact on the second time. It is just very very nice to not have to bother with the watch. Or worry for that matter. The G can take pretty much anything one hurls at it ... literally.
    To my horror, I found myself wearing the GW in public, at work, going to town. On an orange MaraTac to boot *SIGH* :roll: (The horror).
    Some time ago a Seiko with e-ink display was posted here on the forum and I instantly knew, that I had to have it (I blame Petrus :twisted: ).
    Well anyway, here it is - the Seiko SDGA003 with EPD (Electrophoretic Display)/e-ink.
    So legible, it is almost unbelievable!
    With an ordinary digital watch, like my Casio GW5600, you are unable to read the display at even a slight angle.
    On the Seiko, the display is perfectly legible as you slowly turn the watch away from you. It is more a matter of the case blocking the view of the display, before the angle makes it impossible to read the time on the display.
    Watch is Solar/Atomic, so no worry about neither battery nor setting the time (for the foreseeable future).
    I used to have a RC MEGA1000 and liked it a lot. I was just not in a digital phase back then, so sold it for peanuts. The MEGA had a VERY broad bracelet, which housed the antenna. It wore well in spite of the large bracelet, but one was limitied to wearing Junghans straps/bracelets because of the antenna being housed in the strap + there was still a battery to be changed at regular intervals
    The Seiko wears even better than the MEGA and it houses the antenna in the case, so one could make a strap for the watch, should one be so inclined (I am so inclined).
    The bracelet seems skimpy compared to some other bracelets/straps, that I have worn over the years (UTS mesh, 24/26mm PAM straps etc), but it wears very well.
    I quite like the finish too.I travel a bit, so find the "world time" function quite useful.

So gentlemen, be brutally honest. None of that "Stunning" BS. Tell me your honest opinion - I can take it and am already prepared for the opinion of those not liking it :mrgreen:
    I am a believer and nothing will change my mind about this watch.
    I have worn it daily for a while now. I still keep a few manuals, but can not see them get much use in the immediate future.

Overview:
    - Caliber Number: S770
    - Active Matrix EPD (with 5 different display modes)
    - Solar Charging
    - Power saving function
    - Stainless steel case
    - Sapphire glass (with reflection reduction coating)
    - LED light
    - Waterproof to 10bar
    - Atomic RadioWave Control reception (Auto or Manual):
    [Japan]: JJY frequency, 40kHz/60kHz (Fukushima/Kyushu)
    [North America]: WWVB frequency, 60kHz
    [Europe]: MSF/DCF77 frequency, 60kHz/77.5kHz
    - Alarm
    - Full Auto Calendar
    - Date and day of week display
    - World time (32 cities)
    - Dual time function
    - Thickness: 9.5mm

Seiko more or less invented the formal digital watch in the late 1970s. You know, decent looking metal case and bracelet matched with and LCD display? Everyone else was "cheapening" watches by placing them in cheaper, plastic cases. Seiko offered most of the "nicer" digital watches that I know of. Fashion conscious and the luxury aware moved away from digital and quartz watches when it became clear that everyone could have one. As such, analog and mechanical luxury watches came back into style. And here we are at the status quo. Then Seiko started playing around with a fun little technology called e-ink. They offered a few limited edition e-ink watches (for women) several years ago, but those didn't really excited gadget lovers enough to pony up several thousand bucks for a lady's timepiece. But the technology was great, and showed a lot of promise. Enter the second generation of Seiko e-ink watches. For a while I have been expecting Seiko to release another e-ink watch, and I finally saw it in March. It doesn't have a proper name yet, being known as the "Seiko Active Matrix EPD" watch. EPD is their preferred method of using e-ink technology and it stands for "Electrophoretic display." Unlike other e-ink watches, the Seiko EPD watch uses an active matrix display. This allows the screen to refresh itself "actively," as is necessary in e-ink watches (as they are basically composed of light and dark particle that are either "on" or "off." This is how they display information all the time without draining battery power. The battery is only used when changing the display.

http://www.ablogtoread.com/seiko-active ... -in-style/

Looks good, but not too keen on the negative display....

....so most often use this when not travelling

I really like, that the the "World Time" display shows both "home" and "away/local" time at the same time/on the same display. The GW5600 does not (as opposed to the DW5600), which is REALLY annoying

Still legible at a glance - niiice!

NOT your dads digital watch! :lol:

Re: Active Matrix/Digital on the wrist - The Horror, The Horror!

id love to give one of those a go
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

(barely audible sound in your ear) Do it, do it!!! :lol:

Have fancied these since I first saw a photograph of one earlier this year, my preference would be for the SDGA001 though.

:shock: jesus just seen the price of these, think ill stick to me g shock :D

Quote Originally Posted by EdRonax
    Have fancied these since I first saw a photograph of one earlier this year, my preference would be for the SDGA001 though.
    I was torn about the two, I must admit.

Opted for the SDGA003 in the end, as I wanted a departure from the shiny SS look of the 001.
    The finish reminded me of "retro" digitals and also of the good looking MEGA1000, but I had been there, tried that hence went for the black SDGA003.

Caseback of the SDGA003 is a (to me) beautiful non-shiny black and with all the mods, I have gone through, I already gave it some thought to have the watch brushed. Not likely to happen though. It still looks good as is.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    Yes, who would have thought it; if anybody had told me a year ago, that I would shell out this kind of dosh for a digital (any kind of digital AND wear it too), I would have laughed and thought them nuts.

Quite a bit more than I paid for the ASDA GW5600

That card display thing is terribly daft. Apparently they just did it to show what they can do. Meanwhile, they seem to have omitted any kind of analog representation of time - could have been done easily, it would be exactly as good a showoff of the display's capabilities, plus it would have a practical use.

The watch itself seems not to be bad, but I don't like the look of the 3 buttons on the front, I'd prefer a case without the pvd coating, and the other one they're doing (with conventional LCD, SBPG001) has a much nicer looking case, they should have done something like that.

I think I'll wait until the prices go down and they have managed to improve the contrast a bit. I dislike the faded appearance of e-ink displays.

Master

:thumbright: I like it lots, a very cool watch 8) regards price, not that bad is it? what other watches use this tech?

Cool looking watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    :thumbright: I like it lots, a very cool watch 8) regards price, not that bad is it? what other watches use this tech?
    Thanks.
    $1K - when leaving Japan

Master
    Blog Entries

Like the display, but I'd go for the non-black case finish.

Very nice you can switch between normal and negative display.

Can you see the current time and chronograph at the same time?

As already said, analogue display of time would be nice. A simulation of the Seiko displays used in the 1970s would be nice, e.g. the "snake" seconds display of the watch used in Octopussy.

Not a "stunning" watch, but I'd be happy to wear one.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Thanks.
    $1K - when leaving Japan
    Oh yes I know :) i meant In the crazy world of overpriced watches IMO it's not that bad a price for what your getting, in a imagine what panerai for example would charge if they made such a thing kinda way :shock: :lol:

Thanks.
    $1K - when leaving Japan
    Oh yes I know :) i meant In the crazy world of overpriced watches IMO it's not that bad a price for what your getting, in a imagine what panerai for example would charge if they made such a thing kinda way :shock: :lol:
    dont you start... :albino:

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Like the display, but I'd go for the non-black case finish.

Very nice you can switch between normal and negative display.

Can you see the current time and chronograph at the same time?

As already said, analogue display of time would be nice. A simulation of the Seiko displays used in the 1970s would be nice, e.g. the "snake" seconds display of the watch used in Octopussy.

Not a "stunning" watch, but I'd be happy to wear one.
    I looked at the SS case, as mentioned, but wanted a departure from that look.

Nifty, that one can change between negative and normal display, yes. But like the cards, it is a bit of a gimmick IMO. I know some here like the negative display on the Casios, but personally, I am not a fan. Give it time though; it might grow on me.
    I have even startet to like the playing cards. I dislike the binary watches and the playing card time function is almost as weird, but I occasionally use the playing card time function. Not often, but every once in a while. Just for fun and for the change of pace.

Time and chrono at the same time? You mean the display showing the seconds? That is the time - just with seconds. I find the changing seconds distracting though + prefer the clean look of just the hour and the minutes.

I have no use for an analogue display at all and do not miss it.
    Sort of a contradiction to have a digital watch showing analogue time and a bit silly to boot IMO. I did not even factor that one in. Had it had that function, I do not think, I would have bought the watch to be honest. Just my opinion of course. Maybe because I once had a digital watch with that function and it looked horrible. Might be a different matter with the SDGA003, as the display is of course crystal clear and incredibly sharp. Not fuzzy like some digitals.

I agree, not a stunning watch at all :mrgreen:
    In fact, nobody outside a few WIS geeks will know what it is. Very understated and under the radar.
    That is how I like it.
    :P

Thanks.
    $1K - when leaving Japan
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After the Brooklyn Bridge PAM debacle, nothing will surprise me any more! :mrgreen:

And I like PAM watches :P

Thanks.
    $1K - when leaving Japan
    dont you start... :albino:
    :blackeye:

Is that a hornets nest I see in the distance!?

:mrgreen:

Craftsman

Its probably one of the most innovative watches I've seen lately, love to see it in person. Enjoy it.

Thanks. It wears very nice to boot. Not many of these around in Ireland yet....or in Europe for that matter. But they will eventually be more common .... and also cheaper.

Banned

Hey J,

I've really, really liked this since Petrus brought it to our attention. It's a shame though as his often OTT ramblings can somewhat put you off, so I'm pleased you've got your hands on one and thanks for the mini re-review 8)

I have the Junghans Mega and find the concept of a posh RC very cool. This is leaps and bounds ahead of the Junghans. I just wish I could stretch to one.

Very jealous 8)

Craftsman

Your title cracks me up :lol:
    a nice read though but I don't know much about matrix/digital not my forte I say..

Eric

With an ordinary digital watch, like my Casio GW5600, you are unable to read the display at even a slight angle.
    Apologies for going slightly OT, but has anyone else noticed that this seems to be worse with modern casio displays? The 691 module stays legible at a smaller angle than a modern module.

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac
    That card display thing is terribly daft. Apparently they just did it to show what they can do. Meanwhile, they seem to have omitted any kind of analog representation of time - could have been done easily, it would be exactly as good a showoff of the display's capabilities, plus it would have a practical use.

The watch itself seems not to be bad, but I don't like the look of the 3 buttons on the front, I'd prefer a case without the pvd coating, and the other one they're doing (with conventional LCD, SBPG001) has a much nicer looking case, they should have done something like that.

I think I'll wait until the prices go down and they have managed to improve the contrast a bit. I dislike the faded appearance of e-ink displays.
    The pictures are good, but perhaps don't show the display off at its best. I don't know if you've had a chance to look at one outside, but the contrast improves with the available light.
    While you think the card display is daft, it can also be seen as a good showoff of the display's capabilities too and it does have a practical use (to tell the time). Also, with the way the screen refreshses I don't think they could have implemented an analogue display. Imagine an invisible box drawn around the minute digit that is to be refreshed - only that area is updated. With the analogue display I think they would have to ditch the second hand and even then refresh large parts of the screen every minute.

I recal a post from Petrus where he said the buttons are on the front for historical continuity with an earlier model. The menu navigation is dependant on those buttons at the moment, so if they do go for a cleaner look in a later model they'll need to reconsider the menu.

Funny enough, I just saw the 001 model in a watch shop here in Luxembourg. I was puzzled and a bit shocked by the price ( around 900€ :shock:
    I had a look at it, and I have to underline the quality of the watch and strap. The display is incredibly crisp and I liked the positive time better than the negative or the supersized time mode. The 3 buttons set up is geeky but as I understand that there is a historical background, I guess it is alright.
    It's not my kind of style , but I have a friend who is really fund of the Mega1000 (he has 4), and I will show this to him...

Blog Entries

When Heurty bought one I didn't like it.
    Your's is a beauty though.......... :D

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I like it a lot- the case shape and bracklet looks great and the basic numerical display with helevetica-ish text is excellent. Two main reasons I haven't gone for one:
    -Synching issues I had with the SBPG001 were frustrating.
    -I'm unconvinced of diashield.

Cool watch, real cool. We all just have to wait a while and such will cost 10p a dozen, but then nobody will want'em :(

Wot he said ! :lol:

Like the design and the functionality but can't stomach it at that cost.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Hey J,

I've really, really liked this since Petrus brought it to our attention. It's a shame though as his often OTT ramblings can somewhat put you off, so I'm pleased you've got your hands on one and thanks for the mini re-review 8)

I have the Junghans Mega and find the concept of a posh RC very cool. This is leaps and bounds ahead of the Junghans. I just wish I could stretch to one.

Very jealous 8)
    Thanks for the kind words :P

I welcome Petrus as a breath of fresh air. We do not agree on all subjects, but he brings up some subjects, which are interesting. Also loads of interesting watches, amongst them some of which are new (to me). Regarding this thread, I might also mention, that I find him extremely knowledgeable about digital watches, these Seikos amongst them. He will have forgotten more about these, than I will ever know.
    Unfortunately (,surprisingly and regretfully), Petrus has rubbed some of my most favourite TZ'ers against the grain and this has meant some harsh words as a result.

I would not sell the quality Junghans MEGA 1000 short. I had a beautiful example of that watch and liked it very much. Unfortunately, I did not wear it much. I further more did not even use it as a reference against my other watches, so eventually sold it. Now I wish I had not. It really is a beautiful well made watch in its own right.
    The only thing, that makes me not want to buy another MEGA is the fact, that it does not have the solar function of the Seiko (and some cheap and not so cheap Casios). I really like, that I do not have to change the battery for a foreseeable future.

The MEGA is a striking watch. Much more in-your-face than the SDGA003 for lack of better words.
    The SDGA003 is much more low profile. Not only does it have a not so wide (but well made) bracelet, it also looks far more like an ordnary digi watch (apart from the ink technology of course). Case shape is pretty much standard looking.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    I just wish I could stretch to one.
    I hear that you could have bought quite a few for the price of the PP! :lol:

Talk about jealousy ... :?
    :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy
    Your title cracks me up :lol:
    a nice read though but I don't know much about matrix/digital not my forte I say..

Eric
    :lol:

Thanks.

You not knowing about Active Matrix/digi watches should not stand in your way of buying one.

Several TZ'ers know far more than I about these.

I just knew, I had to have a SDGA, when first I saw one here.

The appearence of the SDGA on the forum coincided with my new-found interest in digital watches, so I was doomed! ....DOOMED, I tell you! :lol:

Imagine, all my years of disdain for digis & the years of buying and posting about various manual watches and now my reputation is shot in one fell swoop!

Grevious......

......but then I look at the SDGA and all is well :mrgreen:

I am of course just kidding, but still peculiar to think, that I would never have considered buying a digi a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Apologies for going slightly OT, but has anyone else noticed that this seems to be worse with modern casio displays? The 691 module stays legible at a smaller angle than a modern module.
    No need for an apology at all IMO.

Your post raises a valid point.

The superior legibility/clarity of the active matrix/e-ink display is after all what it is all about and a unique selling point IMO.

When I get home I will take a look and report on the difference (if any) between my old DW5600 and much more recent GW5600 (if that is what you meant).

Active Matrix/Digital on the wrist - The Horror, The Horror!

The superior legibility/clarity of the active matrix/e-ink display is after all what it is all about and a unique selling point IMO.

When I get home I will take a look and report on the difference (if any) between my old DW5600 and much more recent GW5600 (if that is what you meant).
    I've noticed the same thing. In fact, the GWM5600 display is crisper at an angle than the GWM6900. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad

I've noticed the same thing. In fact, the GWM5600 display is crisper at an angle than the GWM6900. Weird.
    Thinking about it some more, and without anything in front of me to check, I think the older module faded off when rotated left/right instead of front/back. Or maybe I imagined it.

Now you are just messing with me! :twisted:

.... checking now .... :lol: :wink:

Okay, when worn on the wrist and tilted away from wearer, it seems to me that my old DW5600 is legible just a tad longer/at a more extreme angle than my recent GW5600.

Just a tad, mind you ... or it might be my imagination.

In the words of Fox Mulder; "I WANT to believe!" :lol:

Never noticed the difference before, I must admit.

The SDGA is of course way ahead of both Casios in that department.

Only time, the display of the Casios have presented a "problem," is when I go kayaking and want to read the time on a watch, that might have slipped on the wrist presenting the face of the watch at an angle.

Depending on the currents/waves, one might not aways have the chance/be able to adjust the position of the watch.

In case of bad weather, I tend to keep a white-knuckle grip on my paddle with both hands :lol:

Anyway, not much of a problem per se.

The pictures are good, but perhaps don't show the display off at its best. I don't know if you've had a chance to look at one outside, but the contrast improves with the available light.
    No, I never saw one live, but it is going to be similar to other e-ink devices - even the best of those look slightly faded. I'm sure this does not impair the practical use of it, I just don't like how it looks.

While you think the card display is daft, it can also be seen as a good showoff of the display's capabilities too and it does have a practical use (to tell the time). Also, with the way the screen refreshses I don't think they could have implemented an analogue display. Imagine an invisible box drawn around the minute digit that is to be refreshed - only that area is updated. With the analogue display I think they would have to ditch the second hand and even then refresh large parts of the screen every minute.
    I don't think that is how it works, in almost any device the screen is updated as a whole, but with this type of display you probably only see one little change (and the bit that remains the same possibly doesn't cost you any energy). An animated second hand would probably cause the display to use too much energy, but they could have omitted the seconds display, or displayed it in digital form.

I assume this is rather due to hardware limitations. It should be no problem to store the daft cards in memory and just swap them out when needed, but to display analog time you probably need too many images or some geometrical functions which they didn't manage to put in. Makes me assume they had rushed this one out in order to be the first or among the first to use the technology, despite not having developed it properly. So for all the technological excellence it might still be a stop-gap soon to be replaced by a fully developed one.

I wonder how the display works in extreme conditions like cold, heat etc. and whether the display has a limited lifetime?

Journeyman

Very nice and unique.

Okay, when worn on the wrist and tilted away from wearer, it seems to me that my old DW5600 is legible just a tad longer/at a more extreme angle than my recent GW5600.

Just a tad, mind you ... or it might be my imagination.
    I don't think you can just compare it like that, the LCD uses polarisation to display characters, and the environment light might be polarised itself, thus influencing the contrast you see depending on the type of light and orientation. So it might not be imagination but actually bad measurement.

The G-Shocks have rather good displays, much better than the earlier LCD watches, the viewing angle causes a rather minimal change in contrast.

No, I never saw one live, but it is going to be similar to other e-ink devices - even the best of those look slightly faded. I'm sure this does not impair the practical use of it, I just don't like how it looks.
    I have no doubt, that you have not seen one "in the steel," because in that case you would of course not have made that comment (that the SDGA display looks "faded" :lol: ).

That was in fact my first thought, when reading your comment (before going "tut-tut" and shrugging).

I did not comment, as your comment pretty much says it all (further more, I do not need to put on my floppy shrink hat to know, why you said it :lol: :wink: ).

You shot off your mouth without thinking, because other reasons overrode your common sense, but that is alright, we are all human :lol:

The whole concept of the SDGA is of course, that the display is crystal clear.

When in the service, we got some good advice for communicating under pressure - Think, press, talk i.e. think, then press the button (of the intercom), then talk (preferably in that order) :mrgreen:

I recal a post from Petrus where he said the buttons are on the front for historical continuity with an earlier model. The menu navigation is dependant on those buttons at the moment, so if they do go for a cleaner look in a later model they'll need to reconsider the menu.
    Pics were snapped really fast with a cheap Canon Ixus and using the "Sepia" mode.
    So might not show the watch as well as pics taken with a better camera under optimal light conditions (I was in a room with horrid lights) and in another mode.

You are absolutely right; the Active Matrix/e-ink does not lend itself to rapidly changing displays.

The first (not you BTW) to raise the (non-)issue about a analogue display on the SDGA would have been far better served to have read the link in my OP - all would have been revealed there, but he was in a hurry, I guess :lol:

There is a reason, why it does not have a chrono (same reason :roll: )

Why anybody would want ana display on a digi is beyond me, as mentioned.
    If I want analogue, I would have stuck to my manual watches.
    Nothing more hideous than ana display on a digi watch (well, maybe any moon phase watch, but that is for another thread :lol: let us try to stick to the SDGA)

Lay-out: I like the look of the watch/case A LOT. Very discreet and low-key/low profile.

To be honest, the three buttons blends in with the black surface and does not get noted at all.

That might just be a feature of the black version, I do not know.

I do know, that I prefer this version. the black contrasts quite nicely with the display in normal mode and the watch is even nore low profile with black case and negative display.

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi
    Funny enough, I just saw the 001 model in a watch shop here in Luxembourg. I was puzzled and a bit shocked by the price ( around 900€ :shock:
    I had a look at it, and I have to underline the quality of the watch and strap. The display is incredibly crisp and I liked the positive time better than the negative or the supersized time mode. The 3 buttons set up is geeky but as I understand that there is a historical background, I guess it is alright.
    It's not my kind of style , but I have a friend who is really fund of the Mega1000 (he has 4), and I will show this to him...
    Yes, quality of both case and bracelet is very good - though after the MEGA1000, the bracelet of the SDGA at first seemed skimpy and fragile compared to more hefty bracelets. It is in fact very nice. The watch is not too heavy and not too light weight. The bracelet in combination with the watch case makes for a very nice wearing watch. In fact, I some times forget, that I am wearing it. I have fallen asleep with this one on the wrist ... and I very seldom forget to take off my watch at night :lol:

Yes, right now, I prefer the "normal" display over the negative one. I occasionally try out the other displays though - also the negative display. It might grow on me.

Look forward to hearing your friends reaction to the Seiko. Though he might be severely underwhelmed, if he is not WIS geeky enough to appreciate the Active Matrix/e-ink technology + the MEGA is that much more striking in appearence than the SDGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    When Heurty bought one I didn't like it.
    Your's is a beauty though.......... :D

Daddel.
    Deep down inside, I know you have a soft spot for Petrus :lol: :wink:

Thanks for the kind words about the watch (I assume you were referring to the watch1 :lol: )

I must admit, that I liked the SDGA from the very outset (well, from learning about it here on the forum not too long ago). You might know the feeling; some watches, you just have to have no matter what :P
    I like it more and more.
    Strange, that one has "evolved" into liking such a watch as the SDGA after all those fine manual watches.

Some might consider it de-evolution in a WIS-sense! Obviously, I do not belong in that cathegory with those sentiments :P :lol:

I don't think that is how it works, in almost any device the screen is updated as a whole, but with this type of display you probably only see one little change (and the bit that remains the same possibly doesn't cost you any energy). An animated second hand would probably cause the display to use too much energy, but they could have omitted the seconds display, or displayed it in digital form.

I assume this is rather due to hardware limitations. It should be no problem to store the daft cards in memory and just swap them out when needed, but to display analog time you probably need too many images or some geometrical functions which they didn't manage to put in. Makes me assume they had rushed this one out in order to be the first or among the first to use the technology, despite not having developed it properly. So for all the technological excellence it might still be a stop-gap soon to be replaced by a fully developed one.

I wonder how the display works in extreme conditions like cold, heat etc. and whether the display has a limited lifetime?
    I'll admit that I don't know how it works exactly, but that box effect does seem to be there and is more easily noticed when it is white on black than vice-versa. There is an interim phase where the digit is blanked, for want of a better phrase, until then re-written as new. This would be very noticeable if the whole screen was refreshed. I'm not sure why the whole screen would need to be refreshed though, it doesn't have to be wholly a raster type display. And doing it by discrete area would save power. With an e-reader there's a whole refresh, but then the whole page is expected to change.
    w.r.t whacking out the cards/images quick enough - I think the limit could be the screen itself and not the processing power of the watch. E-readers are not quick when it comes to this either.

I had read up on the SDGA before buying and was prepared for the ... "quirkyness" of the technology :lol:

I must admit, that I quite like the "lazy" shifting of the display.

The time of course changes "on time," as one would expect form an RC watch, but sometimes I glance at the display and notice the display changing. I quite like that.

The watch is just such a sleek and radical departure from other digi watches, that I have worn.

Card display? No Solitaire? Tsk... :D

I'll admit that I don't know how it works exactly, but that box effect does seem to be there and is more easily noticed when it is white on black than vice-versa. There is an interim phase where the digit is blanked, for want of a better phrase, until then re-written as new. This would be very noticeable if the whole screen was refreshed. I'm not sure why the whole screen would need to be refreshed though, it doesn't have to be wholly a raster type display. And doing it by discrete area would save power. With an e-reader there's a whole refresh, but then the whole page is expected to change.
    w.r.t whacking out the cards/images quick enough - I think the limit could be the screen itself and not the processing power of the watch. E-readers are not quick when it comes to this either.
    I watched a couple of videos of it now but can't really catch the time change operation - in all videos the people are constantly fiddling with the watch and I can only see the complete screen being updated (it appears to flicker between negative and positive display) but this could also be a kind of visual acknowledgement of a click. You could be right of course and they might have implemented a display control which segments the display into areas which could be implemented separately, but this would be rather complicated. Updating the whole display at a time would make for a simpler and more manageable interface to it. As far as I'm aware all graphical displays work this way.

I must say that neither the videos nor the images I have seen until now convince me that the contrast is good - it still looks washed out and faded to me. The display is also slower than I expected, no wonder it does not display seconds as this would not be possible at all. It looks interesting and very impressive, but I'm afraid the technology isn't there yet, so I wouldn't be getting one - especially at that price - until they manage to do it properly.

I watched a couple of videos of it now but can't really catch the time change operation - in all videos the people are constantly fiddling with the watch and I can only see the complete screen being updated (it appears to flicker between negative and positive display) but this could also be a kind of visual acknowledgement of a click. You could be right of course and they might have implemented a display control which segments the display into areas which could be implemented separately, but this would be rather complicated. Updating the whole display at a time would make for a simpler and more manageable interface to it. As far as I'm aware all graphical displays work this way.

I must say that neither the videos nor the images I have seen until now convince me that the contrast is good - it still looks washed out and faded to me. The display is also slower than I expected, no wonder it does not display seconds as this would not be possible at all. It looks interesting and very impressive, but I'm afraid the technology isn't there yet, so I wouldn't be getting one - especially at that price - until they manage to do it properly.
    :roll: As mentioned before, Horrobaby, you really might want to read the OP including the link contained in that post before you start posting without the facts :roll:

Your comments/complaints are answered within.

I deliberately ignored your first post in this thread (it being the ONLY post I deliberately did not answer to), as mentioned, because I immediately knew you could not have handled the watch, which you later admitted.

Also ignored it, because you clearly have a problem. I simply shrugged and went on my way, in the (vain) hope, that you had had your say, was satisfied with lashing out against me and would go else where. Then and there it would have been forgotten. Alas you persist.

You are basically shooting from the hip without the facts. Before you step further into somehting warm and brown, do your research, please.

I do understand, that your pointless grudge against me makes you lash out blindly, but could you please try to keep your animosity apart from the WIS talk, that the rest of us are trying to have....you know, like the adults do.

Maybe go play somewhere else. Right now you are basically peeing on my thread in your impotent hatred. You are being a forum-nazi. Quit it, please.

For the record; I welcome any and all comments from well balanced members with an opinion about the horrid digi, that I have bought - be they positive or negative :mrgreen: I am well aware, that there are respected members of this forum (members whose opinions I well and truly respect) who will NOT like this watch because it is a dang digi. I still like the dang thing a lot :wink:
    But just do not write pointless, senseless, infantile drivel stemming from other sources than truly pure WIS motives (sound of bugles heard in the distance :mrgreen: )

As for the watch being incapable of displaying seconds. First pic in the OP :roll:

The seconds change seamlessly without any flickering between negative/normal display every ....dare I say it... every second :roll:

Jesus wept.....

Master

Horrocac, Theres you tube links showing seconds in the very good review Petrus did of this watch. Review section :albino:

Horrocac
    :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly, he is beyond reason now. This is personal for him. Sad.

Bad form. Not in the forum spirit ... but then what is these days :roll: