closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris - underrated and under priced?

Oris - underrated and under priced?

Just seen a bunch of watches in Manchester. Plenty of expensive stuff to see there - quite a few £50k+ Pateks, a lovely Grande Complication IWC at £22k etc

BUT, my eye was drawn to most of the Oris range.

From the divers range to the dress watches, so many looked (to me) absolutely perfectly designed - understated where necessary, bold features on the divers etc - and significantly cheaper than many other watches with fundamentally the same movements.

They seem fair value - almost 'underpriced' compared to some of the recent prices for Breitling, Omega and other ETA movement watches.

I assume they just don't yet have the brand awareness of those other marques yet.

Re: Oris - underrated and under priced?

Under-rated and fairly priced I would say! :)

They have suffered recently (along with Longines) I think in not really being sure who their target market is and therefore releasing models with a scattergun approach, with no real focus. Some nice pieces in the collections though.

Grand Master

they've been ramping their prices up quite a lot recently, but second hand they are excellent value imho.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

i like the oris divers range...as said second hand seem to be good bargains!

They“re trying to go up-market so prices are lately not as good as I“d wish... And 2011 new models were mostly disappointment.
    But it is true that second hand are perfect value. And their divers (not new aquis) are great, I like the unmistakable design.

Oris has an interesting history, from memory Brains in the original Thunderbirds wore one :D

... and still independetly owned i believe- not part of Swatch/LVMH/PPR/Pepsico

I think that they tend to suffer from being one of the more familiar watches on the High Street, so tend to get over looked by the WIS fraternity. Not unlike Longines.

But having seen Andy (Village)'s Oris (ooh, errr) at a recent GTG, they certainly seem to be well made, and good value. Especially second hand, as has been pointed out. They have some design quirks, but many of their designs are very attractive.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

I agree, understated works of art which are probably fairly priced. Its the likes of Omega,Rolex etc that are over priced.I hve an Oris 300m diver, love it.

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

I forgot about this and it did not sell at £400

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190589868659? ... 1423.l2649

The auction is dead so im allowed to post links right :? ?

Live or dead, post away.

This is TZUK.

We are still allowed to bark once in a while here.....

Oris is underrated, as is Glycine.

I like them both, but as the OP mentioned Oris, I will single out the old model Regulateur from that company. Nice watch.

theyre not underpriced, its just that alot of other stuff is overpriced.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

:lol:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i really have a soft spot for oris.. it was the brand that got me into watches in a big way.
    ive had about 10+ of them.. great VFM and very nicely built.

How about...

Oris - fairly popular and sensibly priced?

I think Oris make lovely watches, not every one is perfect, but compared with a leopardskin daytona they are :shock: . I think their range is excellent (diver, dress, gmt, worldtime etc) and still fairly sensible prices compared with the price hikes by others just recently.

I have 3 Oris now, and have had more in the past, not one of them a dud!

Cheers all

Tim

Master
    Blog Entries

Great value for money more so if you can pick a minty one second hand like I did. I think also they are the only watch maker who does not make a quartz movement

Here is my TT Diver

Craftsman

I agree that Oris watches are certainly underated. I have until recently owned 2 Oris Watches (a BC3 Day/Date and Formula 1 Day/Date). I thought the build quality was excellent and certainly a match for other supposedly more sought after brands.

In terms of value as well you can often find them greatly below their retail prices which in both of my cases meant that after years of ownership I was able to sell them for what I paid for them.

I'm trying to keep to the 3 watch rule but have a hankering to add an Oris back into my collection !

Great watches in my opinion !

Marc.

I've always wanted to have an Oris as the brand's image to me is pretty distinct. I've just never found a well-priced second-hand one though.

I'd like to try an Oris one day, a friend who has one of the divers swears by it and it does feel nicely put together. The thing that puts me off (and I accept its probably quite silly) is the finish of the movements that have display backs. I don't mean poorly finished in terms of loose metal shavings everywhere but rather the kind of matte treatment of the movement plates - just looks wrong to me after years of gazing and polished bits!

Master

I like 'em. The brand that got me into watches. Had a TT1 and flipped it.. wanting another one again now i'm thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    theyre not underpriced, its just that alot of other stuff is overpriced.
    :D

They must be well thought of, I was wearing my big crown complication the other day and someone asked me If it was real. :shock:
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

I have two and they are fantastic. I am a big fan of some of their models and some leave me cold (as with most other brands), and they are really well made. I considered replacing one of them with a B&R BR02, but after trying one on it felt flimsy in comparison to the Oris but at nearly twice the price using the same movement.

Their prices have been going up, but their models have also been getting more intricate and detailed as well utilising more complications and/or features.

Also, to the average man on the street wearing a £100 quartz, even the cheapest Oris will seem ludicrous.

I'd put them with Fortis as a brand I'd like to try. Looking on-line their prices do seem to have been hiked recently, but they do appear a bargain used; although what's put me off most of the used divers I've seen is scratched bezel inserts.

Journeyman

Under priced :? Good value for money ? Yes i think so !

Im at my 4 Oris at the moment ! 3xsmall second the last one was with Ceramic Bezel 47mm titan"C" and that must be my personal best value for money out there !

Now I have a ProDiver Col Moschin Limited Edition and its really really nice! Perfekt between material and funktion, colour and size !

You will allways find a oris in my house !

I've owned a Fullsteel, XXL Chronograph, 300m Diver, Diver Big Date, Date Pointer, a dressy time and date (now with my Dad) and a couple of vintage, but I am not a fan.
    Gray

I particularly like the divers range- the small seconds being my favourite. Despite being large watches they wear well. They have a strong following in some circles.

They do make some very nice pieces, in the middle price wise I'd say.

I really like these two, both offer a lot of quality watch for the money & IMHO will not date quickly if at all. I'm not a fan of all their current range, but the ones i like i really like.

Nice watches and good value but the integral bracelet design on many of the range does put me off. Shops tend to stock the rubber strap versions but many are available on a bracelet. I own one and have one lined up to buy but they are getting expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10
    Great value for money more so if you can pick a minty one second hand like I did. I think also they are the only watch maker who does not make a quartz movement

Here is my TT Diver
    Nice watch, But if I want a new look, it is unable to change from bracelet to leather strap.

Master

As I have mentioned before on Oris topics, I do respect the brand a lot, I own three of 'em. Good solid, reliable pieces that seem to have that fusty air of ''traditional Swiss timepieces'' that existed in the good old days when there were shedfulls of independent brands, that today no longer exist. Not too keen on the current catalogue of watches, prefer the 70's/80's/90's offerings, but lovely watches nontheless.
    I have an Oris Rectangular pointer date, a Big Crown PD, & my favourite, although gets almost zero wrist-time, a Big Crown Diver.

Would like to own a BC chrono' with screw down pushers one day.

Seems I am not the only fan then.

Definitely will need to have one or two of these...

Master

That is a good value watch

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oman009

Here is my TT Diver
    Nice watch, But if I want a new look, it i am unable to change from bracelet to leather strap.
    I agree, the ONLY setback is, you can't put another strap on it to change the look etc other than an Oris rubber or bracelet. However, this is a stonking watch. I use this at my dive club and in open water dives. It is made for divers, easy to read dial underwater thanks to the clean hands and sapphire crystal, good clean looks. I love it. I keep my dressy divers for the 'Meal out' this is the one I use when actually diving, all my mates at the club love this one as it's so unusual to the usual citizen pro's etc.The time keeping is superb and it looks good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oman009

Here is my TT Diver
    Nice watch, But if I want a new look, it is unable to change from bracelet to leather strap.
    Google - or eBay 'Custom Leather Strap Oris'

Quite a few options to chose from - for a similar price to Oris OEM rubber

Or this

http://www.jrartesania.com/Serie%20Coris.htm

z

Oris - underrated and under priced?

I'd say under rated and overpriced I'm afraid. I owned a big crown with a sub seconds dial a few years back, £350 new with a guilloche dial and a nice display back. Nobody knew who Oris were back then (say 1998) but it was definitely nicer and more solid than the modern version, which I imagine are now nearly a grand?

In my read, there is no under priced Swiss watch today, but there is a lot over priced.

Craftsman

Some nice pieces for sure. Personally I've always had the problem of thinking, yeah it's nice, but for a little more I could get something like a longines. Excellent value second hand though, as has been pointed out.

Craftsman

I have the 47mm LE titanium 100m diver and love it. Granted i have tree trunks for wrists but a really nice and solid watch. Don't see myself parting with it for some time !!!!

Niall

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    I'd say under rated and overpriced I'm afraid. I owned a big crown with a sub seconds dial a few years back, £350 new with a guilloche dial and a nice display back. Nobody knew who Oris were back then (say 1998) but it was definitely nicer and more solid than the modern version, which I imagine are now nearly a grand?
    Yes - £980, or £890, something like that.

Underrated - no, rated quite fairly I think. When enough people rate a watch, and Oris rates pretty well on the internet and out there in the real world - it's no longer "under-rated". Underpriced - no chance.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Good to hear all this love for Oris.

I'd love and want one of these very soon http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Oris%20TT1 ... ulator.htm

Oris TT1 Professional Divers Regulator 1000m....

Does anyone know what sort of price I'm looking at paying for a mint condition 2nd hand one??

Journeyman

Hi Everyone,

As an avid ORIS fan, especially of the pointer-date models - I've got and wear two on a regular basis already, and always on the look-out for more when funds and SWMBO allow - I've always thought they offer real quality at very good value-for-money.

I'd recommend them to anyone afflicted with the disease we all have on this forum and who wants to start collecting some quality watches :) :) :)

Lloydie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Good to hear all this love for Oris.
    I do like those big crown date pointers. There is something really 'satisfying' about them.

I really like Oris, well apart from the very latest huge watches.
    Here's my classic, and at around 42mm and pretty thin, makes a great dress watch that also works with jeans. Super accurate and reasonably priced.

Ian.

My father was always a big fan of Oris, a trait I inherited as well. One of my favorite watches of all time must be the Oris Pointer Date .I've had it for nearly 10 years, never once has it hiccuped.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

This is my favourite oris that I ever had. I regret selling as have never seen one since.