closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why do people sell weeks old watches?

Master

Why do people sell weeks old watches?

This isn't a dig at anyone, I'm genuinely curious. Why do people put watches up for sale that have purportedly been owned for just a couple of weeks? There's been a few of them recently.

Why don't their owners just take them back for a refund rather than take a big drop on the price?

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Re: Why do people sell weeks old watches?

Impulse buys that dont live up to expectations at a gues ?

or

They are now skint ?

or

easily bored with them ?

Why would anyone accept them back into stock? SC is the only route. As for why they end up in that situation in the first place, I have no idea as it has not happened to me...yet. :lol:

Master

I fall in and out of love with my watches old and new all the time..

Thats why we collect them right ??

One for every day of the week / month :D :wink:

I purchased a brand new Rolex milgauss owned it for two weeks. It didn't live up to vintage Rolex sports models. So Then I sold it to a dealer after I had no takers on sc. Even though ur was £1300 cheaper than rrp! Crazy!

Are you legally entitled to a full refund if purchased in a shop, or just a credit note, or anything at all in fact, assuming the watch isn't defective ?

I know you have a cooling off period if purchased online though due to the distance selling act (I think it's 7 days minimum), which does entitle you to a full refund.

I think most of all they get bored or sometimes they are addictive to buying and selling :mrgreen:

I don't know, why don't you ask a few of the ones you've spotted?

I've certainly bought second hand, thought it's not for me and sold it quickly, at a loss, just to get something I do want.

Buying retail I've had a change of heart and taken it back for the "no quibble" refund too.
    Gray

I suspect that they forgot to take them off when they were unblocking the u-bend.

This would seem odd to me also as Goldsmiths and Ernest Jone both accept returns

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/information/returns

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...mer_returns.do

Mark

I was fortunate to buy a three day old DSSD earlier this year for a nice discount off the new price. The reason was simple, the dial on the DSSD isnt super large and the guy who sold it didnt realise that he wouldnt be able to see it as well as he would like..so he moved it on. Presumably in his case the return option didnt exist.

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...

There's also the scenario where a new watch is provided to cover an Insurance claim, or a heavily discounted 'new for old replacement' for discontinued models that can't be repaired - and the seller prefers to 'cash in'.

Mike 8)

I just sold a fantastic 1 month old Grand Seiko because I'm mental. And my wife found my watch box.

Grand Master

Numerous reasons for me, maybe a credit note I needed to use or took it as part of a deal with other watches or just impulsive buy and dont want to return to admit my fault and ask them to take it back
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird
    There's also the scenario where a new watch is provided to cover an Insurance claim, or a heavily discounted 'new for old replacement' for discontinued models that can't be repaired - and the seller prefers to 'cash in'.

Mike 8)

This, or;

1) The buyer took out 0% interest Finance on the Watch and wanted a cheap loan (omitting that the reduction in Purchase price vs Sales price is probably more than the interest on a standard loan anyway) - seen it happen.

2) The Buyer has Tesco Type vouchers and wishes to convert these into cash. They don't cost the person anything, so aren't actually losing by selling cheap.

3) People with more money than sense buying out of boredom!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I've done it.

You think you've found something that ticks every box.
    You think you've found exactly what you want.
    It's gorgeous in store.
    You try it on, you think yes.

You wear it a couple of weeks and think "balls".

You can only return if the watch is unworn. light marks on clasp etc will not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    This would seem odd to me also as Goldsmiths and Ernest Jone both accept returns

Mark
    they are only following the distance selling laws,not sure if the same rules would apply to their stores.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    I've done it.

You think you've found something that ticks every box.
    You think you've found exactly what you want.
    It's gorgeous in store.
    You try it on, you think yes.

You wear it a couple of weeks and think "balls".
    +2
    This happens to me just recently and it is just part and parcel of collecting watches.

Eric

Certainly if you're buying from a store, watches can look very different at home and in daylight compared with the very bright and reflective spotlights that jewellers tend to use. Some watches actually look a lot better out of the store (Breitling especially - they look far less flashy in more subtle lighting), others worse.

Other potential scenario is where a watch doesn't "sit" right on the wrist.

It does make it a bit of an expensive game though.

Could simply be good old fashioned buyers remorse ......

Craftsman

I did it in the summer. Id been looking for a discontinued watch for a while, then finally found one and bought it. But then i regretted it (because i thought my money would have been better spent buying 2nd hand) and wanted to sell it while it was still virtually new before it was just your average 2nd hand price.

I went to buy a Rolex once from an AD once. The watch was battered and was presented to me as a BNIB piece. So clearly, some ADs do take stock back from customers (big spenders?)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

^ not necessarily.. some of the battered BNIB stuff gets in that state by multiple try-ons.. not being handled properly by staff (slapped down on counter rather than pad etc).. and being clunked about in safes.

Quote Originally Posted by heuerkane
    You can only return if the watch is unworn. light marks on clasp etc will not do.
    Unless the specific non-online store has a returns policy, there is no right to return anything you have bought from the high street if you just change your mond about it.

Craftsman

Also some people have a very good relationship with an AD/source and get very good discounts on new watches so can sell on while losing very little/breaking even/making few quid, only looks a big lose against the RRP not against the actual buy price.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    I just sold a fantastic 1 month old Grand Seiko because I'm mental. And my wife found my watch box.
    Great answer! I keep my watch box visible in the bedroom...(glass lid) so my missus can tell if Im getting too OCD..the "real" ones are locked in the safe though..we pretend that they dont exist and that way what you cant see wont hurt you! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo
    Also some people have a very good relationship with an AD/source and get very good discounts on new watches so can sell on while losing very little/breaking even/making few quid, only looks a big lose against the RRP not against the actual buy price.
    Agreed. Sometimes if people have a private 'arrangement' with a friendly AD (even Rolex), they will buy a BNIB watch with perhaps a 20% discount (from RRP) and sell on to the public at a 10% discount say. This can be a nice little earner if they sell enough pieces across various watch forums.

There's many a former Rolex or Omega AD who have had their business taken away due to supplying the grey market in this way.

I bought a couple of Fortis new from an AD I know who was stopping stocking the brand, and at a good price. I liked them, but knew it was unlikely I would (be allowed to) keep them all.
    So I had them at home for a week or two, decided on the keeper and shifted the other on. I wasn't in a position to return them, and the heavy discount I got meant I knew I would be likely to move them quickly for very little loss.
    So, someone on SC got a good deal (which made me feel good too) - I got to choose and trial the watch I wanted out of a selection - and it only cost me a few quid to have that luxury (and those few quid lost were nicely off-set by the discount I got on the one I kept).

Plenty of legit reasons. But "buyer's remorse" and first credit card statements probably account for the majority! You only usually get 14 days for an unworn return for refund - and it can easily be a month before you decide that you and any watch just aren't going to get along. Happens to folks here all the time, new or old, cheap or expensive purchases (which is why SC remains such a thriving sub-forum!)

Make the most of it!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    Are you legally entitled to a full refund if purchased in a shop, or just a credit note, or anything at all in fact, assuming the watch isn't defective ?

I know you have a cooling off period if purchased online though due to the distance selling act (I think it's 7 days minimum), which does entitle you to a full refund.
    Maybe that is why a lot of brands don't sell on t'interweb :wink:

"people like buying and selling" (not an exact quote) is part of it. TZ-UK encourages the watch trade. People feel more comfortable in buying because they have a safe outlet for moving their purchases on if they don't "work". They also are part of a non-judgmental community where they can "bring" and often sell their buying "mistakes" so that they end up with something they really like. Thank goodness for this forum.
    Also by trading here the losses usually suffered after buying brand new from a retailer and then trading are minimised. Robbie

Well I bought and Sold My Steinhart..main reason it was a lot smaller that I thought and couldn't even read the date

Craftsman

I bought a SPORK in Earnest Jones Reading last year, took it home and just didn't bond with it, took it back to the shop a week later, full refund, no questions asked....if you don't try.....

Just from my own experience. I've done this twice. The first time was an Omega Speedmaster 3570.50. Bought it new. Loved it, had no other nice watches at the time. Then felt really guilty about spending so much ( it was "only" about £1000 back then ... ) on myself and sold it. So, simple buyer's remorse. Six months later, I bought a 3573, which I still own. So, seller's remorse too 8)

The second time, I bought a Doxa Searambler. The hands were terribly finished. At the time, the maker ( and the fan forum ) were of the opinion it was a feature of a rugged tool watch. I sold the watch, losing a reasonable sum. A year or more later, I read that the maker will now consider a refund for poorly finished hands, if they are visible "without using a loupe". Not quite sure why their QC couldn't pick this up, rather than the customer. They still wont say if their current hands are finished properly.

Somewhat soured my opinion, needless to say.

Paul

Master

There could allways be another reason too ??

I play golf and on Evil bay you get lots of "used once" clubs for sale 99%
    of them are fakes especially taylor-made im told...

Its a clever way to move them on....

Just a thought and not pointing the finger either :D

As to why; I have no real idea. I try to keep pieces for fair while, just in case any initial disappointment is a passing phase. It has been the case once or twice but, like everyone else I suspect my taste in watches changes with mood, exposure to ads and new models and the plain old desire to try something different.

I am glad folks do though. Please let it continue.

Grand Master

Can`t imagine doing this with a new watch....but I only buy second-hand. It takes me a minimum of 12 months to decide to sell a watch, even if I`ve gone off it or don`t wear it much. I hate the feeling of selling something then regretting it. I`ve bought watches I really wanted then been a bit disappointed when I get them, but I still don`t rush to sell them.

I`ve never regretted selling the majority of watches I`ve sold...and I've sold a few over the years. However, the 116200 Rolex Datejust I sold last year has been a regret and a 1930s cushion-case gold Waltham is another .

I`ve only ever sold one watch after 1 week; that was a newly-assembled Seamaster 300 on an 1171 bracelet which just didn`t do it for me.

In answer to the OPs question.......I don`t know, because it's the complete opposite of my behaviour.

Paul

Craftsman

I sold a panerai 249 when it first came out and hadn't had chance to see it in the shops , I purchased online from Europe when it was delivered I didn't really bond with it so I sold it as soon as I could to recoup my origional outlay.

James

Blog Entries

Because they are howling mad?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

It's not the destination, it's the journey that many watch hounds find enthralling. Often when they arrive at the journey's end there is no there - there!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roadkingrider
    It's not the destination, it's the journey that many watch hounds find enthralling. Often when they arrive at the journey's end there is no there - there!
    Very true...sometimes the thrill of the chase is most of the fun.

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jegger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky

Mark
    they are only following the distance selling laws,not sure if the same rules would apply to their stores.
    Unless something's changed, Goldsmiths will allow a full no quibble refund for up to 30 days I think (assuming the item is still in as new condition of course).

Hello,

Two related stories -

I sold a Cartier Santos 100 two tone after a few weeks as I preferred the steel version. I was originally convinced by my wife the the two tone was nicer, however after wearing it a while I realised it was a mistake.

I also hung on to a watch that I didn't like for a couple of years and ended losing out. I tried to convince myself that it was OK, but I really didn't enjoy wearing it. I would have been off selling it after a couple of weeks to cut my losses and buy something else I would have enjoyed more.

Dom

I'm doing this all the time. At the moment I'm selling a U1 which arrived in September.

Problem with me is that most watches look better in pics than on my wrist. I try to force myself to wear and after a while I see something else and sell it.

I switched around a dozen watches within 2 years and only found my Planet Ocean as a keeper.

Cheers,
    Catalin

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY
    Impulse buys that dont live up to expectations at a gues ?

or

They are now skint ?

or

easily bored with them ?

That's all summed up pretty accurately. Another point is that it may just not suit your taste after all.

We all like a bargain so why not pass that bargain on to other forum members.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jubbaa
    I sold a panerai 249 when it first came out and hadn't had chance to see it in the shops , I purchased online from Europe when it was delivered I didn't really bond with it so I sold it as soon as I could to recoup my origional outlay.

James
    You gotta be kicking yourself over that one now!
    RIAC

Master

Maybe some get a great deal and/or discount and make a quick buck by selling them as new under the retail price?

PPR - Post Purchase Remorse - or money laundering :?:

Be a bit careful with returns. Unless the watch is faulty you have no legal rights to make a return if you change your mind. So don't assume that you can return it. For example The Peter Jackson chain in the north of England, bizarrely for a gift shop, do not allow returns. But they don't make the policy explicit, you have to ask. Which I didn't, and got lumbered. Always, always, ask.

In a spectacular display of seller's remorse I've bought back my GS which I only bought for the first time last month :lol:

Told you I was mental.