closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: attack of the trip advisors

attack of the trip advisors

anyone watching this? on channel 4 now. Some interesting characters on it to say the least, feel sorry for the places these people visit.

Grand Master

Re: attack of the trip advisors

I am watching it, Im all for a review but theres an element of nstyness or half empty to the reviews and writers
    RIAC

I've never seen a more petty, irritating bunch of people in my life. The worst was that complete moron with a 'skin complaint' that holidayed with his old mum. Nasty, nasty people. :evil:

Felt very sorry for those hotel owners.

Banned

^

even his mum thinks he's a cretin.

:lol:

Now I'm getting irritated by the stuck up cow. If anyone deserved chefs special sauce in her food it would be her.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    I've never seen a more petty, irritating bunch of people in my life. The worst was that complete moron with a 'skin complaint' that holidayed with his old mum. :evil:

Felt very sorry for those hotel owners.

I will go with a +1 as i'm speechless by these twats

Yes, my mother in law runs a B&B, had a really nasty untrue review on trip advisor, bookings were definately impacted.

One of the B&B owners has commented that people want boutique experience at B&B prices, which certainly seems true of some of the muppets on this programme.

Life is good again though...there was a Planet Ocean advert to calm me down. :lol:

Banned

The fawlty towers esque b&b with the eccentric owner, I think it's the elstree looks like a great place to stay IMHO.

Everyone is a critic (expert) these days :(

I started watching it but gave up when I realised they were just a bunch of unpaid and unwanted vigilantes. Surprising as one was an ex policeman. I remember talking to someone who had a number of holiday homes in Devon. It seems that some people try and blackmail them by saying they will give a bad review unless they get such and such.

The only way that sites like Trip Advisor and Amazon work is if lots of people leave reviews. That way the odd strange review is just that.

I also have different expectations of a hotel that costs £500 a night compared to a £50 per night B&B.

Very uncomfortable viewing, never heard of trip advisor before.

Strikes me the reviewers could do with finding something more constructive to do rather than picking holes in others livelihood.

Seemed to be a bunch of petty minded morons.

I feel very bad for the owners. The only legitimate qualm was the flickering light outside the window. I wonder if the guy with the skin condition changes his sheets every day at home?

The omega advert was a pleasant surprise, though. I don't think I've ever seen a televised ad for a watch before

Master

I watched it and I'm pretty saddened by how petty people are, especially that douchebag who made the blue dot on the hem of the sheets.

I'm a very avid user of Tripadvisor (and very occasional reviewer, generally when I've stayed somewhere totally ace) and even before watching this I thought that half of these 'reviewers' are the very ones who should stick to holidaying at Pontins.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Still watching on +1 but the words "opinionated twats" springs to mind.
    Funnily enough I've only looked at TA twice and it's just funny to read how dumb half of the write ups are.

:lol:
    i often use TA to pick hotels etc - the extreme reviews are easily spotted as are the owners' own "anonymous" self-reviews. Constant themes are telling (esp.the "noisy" / "dirty" assessments) - but extreme detail is a dead cert indicator of the psycho reviewer.

My parents were in the hotel trade and it's phenomenally hard work - also theres a hardcore of customers who can find fault in perfection. There's also a significant proportion of hoteliers who are temperamentally unsuited to any form of service industry, let alone one that will expose their shortcomings in such clear relief. I could never watch Fawlty Towers back in the day, as it was much too close to the truth.

On balance, Trip advisor is a very positive force for good IMHO

Blog Entries

I watched the programme and then had to open a bottle of red to calm myself down. People like those "reviewers" ought to be banned from the Internet. Or possibly just cleansed from society entirely... :twisted: I stopped using tripadvisor ages ago because it seemed to me that many of the reviews were written by pernickety, over-precious arses (frequently Americans from places like Rustbucket, Idaho). This appearance appears to have been borne out, on the strength of the programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    Agreed.

Let's not forget this was a shock show highlighting the 0.01% of idiot reviews.

We have a similar muppet ratio here on TZ-UK :lol:

Master

seem to be power mad pricks, I wonder if they are able to get an idea of how they came across to the general public, maybe the boot is then on the other foot.

Journeyman

The "Nana" in their was spot on in her views.....

Gives some losers the feeling of power over people they would never normally have this over in life generally.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    Agreed.

Let's not forget this was a shock show highlighting the 0.01% of idiot reviews.

We have a similar muppet ratio here on TZ-UK :lol:
    I always wondered how many Aberdonians there were her, now I know :lol:

I know it was shot as controversial but even so!

The reviewers featured were awful!

There were three male 'couples' of which only one was 'out of the closet' ,a guy and his Nan ( who thought he was compensating for being bullied) and a displaced Oz woman who was trying to channel Germaine Greer :shock:

But more than one of them seemed to think it was their 'job' to highlight inadequacies via Tripadvisor, but without bringing them to the notice of the establishment beforehand.

I know we use Tripadvisor to review prospective destinations, and have for a long time ignored the American Prima-Donnas, but after seeing this I think we'll start being much more objective in our use of TA.

The one thing that struck me is that these people will think nothing of leaving scathing comments on Trip Advisor but if their experiences were bad then how many of them actually had the guts to say something when they were there!
    I use Trip Advisor and it's proved very useful. Unfortunately the documentary didn't really provide much in the way of a balance, focusing on keyboard warriors who saw themselves as peoples champions or were just merely attention seekers. Even the Nan of the guy with the skin condition asked him why he thought it necessary to review about getting tonic instead of lemonade with his Vodka!
    That said, the guy from the seafood restaurant seemed to be incapable of accepting constructive criticism and if Trip Advisor has, for example, 50 reviews and 80% of them are not very good then there is clearly something that needs to be improved, a point I doubt the guy would struggle to accept.
    Shame that the documentary makers didn't involve get any comments from Trip Advisor either.

Grand Master

In my inspired moment this morning I thought about setting up a website called 'Guest Advisor' where hoteliers etc can post reviews of the guests that stay and include details like:-

'left a monster log in my nice clean toilet'

'judging by the sheer volume of sticky tissues in the bin he has failed to score in St Ives'

etc
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    The one thing that struck me is that these people will think nothing of leaving scathing comments on Trip Advisor but if their experiences were bad then how many of them actually had the guts to say something when they were there!
    The pinnacle of 'keyboard warriorism'

I did have a look at a couple of the B&B's on Tripadvisor, most of the ones in the show have very good reviews and a couple of 1 stars. The seafood restaurant looks brilliant, even if it is run by Jeremy Clarkson in flip flops

Grand Master

Best way to discount the extremist moanings of these spiteful retards is to stop using the bloody internet to make every decision in your life for you. I know people who would rather use the rantings of crazies on the internet to decide which hotel to use than ask the advice of friends and colleagues. Well, f*** 'em.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

I find a quick look at the b and b's site, followed by how they talk to you over the phone is a better guide that trip advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by taz417
    ^

even his mum thinks he's a cretin.
    because he is maybe ?

Craftsman

Along with a few other people i own a restaurant in Sheffield and i have to admit it can be a little scary when we get a new revue.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    In my inspired moment this morning I thought about setting up a website called 'Guest Advisor' where hoteliers etc can post reviews of the guests that stay and include details like:-

'left a monster log in my nice clean toilet'

'judging by the sheer volume of sticky tissues in the bin he has failed to score in St Ives'

etc
    I was thinking something along the same lines but trying to mirror TA . Then the Hoteliers could have their rant about the guests and post the twats full names and addresses :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mffw
    Along with a few other people i own a restaurant in Sheffield and i have to admit it can be a little scary when we get a new revue.
    Where's that if you don't mind me asking?

Always looking for somewhere new to try. Promise I'll write a good review :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foulkes

It is called " Kitchen " 762 Ecclesall Road Sheffield and we are number 5 in Sheffield on the dreaded Trip Advisor.

Master

Is this programme repeated again? Forgot it was on :(

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foulkes

It is called " Kitchen " 762 Ecclesall Road Sheffield and we are number 5 in Sheffield on the dreaded Trip Advisor.
    Nice place. I only live round the corner from there. We've been in once but it was a while back. Remember the wine being good!

attack of the trip advisors

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam
    Is this programme repeated again? Forgot it was on :(
    I just watched the repeat on 4 OD online.

I use TA a lot and also contribute. IMO, useful reviews are usually short and to the point, don't involve extreme scores like 1 and 5, and are from people who have contributed a handful of reviews (not friggin hundreds) on the site.

Master

My wife watched it and was so incensed that she spent an hour typing to the said establishments offering sympathies for the cretins involved.

I saw this on catch up, and most of the reviewers seem like muppets...
    ie She brought me the wrong drink....
    HELLO!!

Although I thought the guy with the taxidermy was a bit up himself, and same with the couple who invited the lady back for lunch after she wrote a bad review.

I do look at tripadvisor, but these people take it too far...

Maybe the B+Bs should be allowed to block 5% of reviews.. this way taking out the silly people, but still getting an overall feel of the hotel...

As bad hotels generally get bad reviews from lots of people, whereas some good places get the odd bad review..

I mean they cant all be wrong about their experiences....