closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Egypt for a holiday?

Master

Egypt for a holiday?

Thinking of going to Sharm for a holiday in late March. I'm fully aware of the troubles in Egypt but Sharm appears to be free of the issues. Just the usual terrorist attack threats......

Any other reasons not to go there????

Craftsman

Re: Egypt for a holiday?

Sharm's great. No worries there. The divings fantastic.

What we are seeing on the news right now is not representative of what's happening elsewhere in Egypt. Having said that, there is concern about the protests spreading further afield as the population are getting restless over the speed - or lack - of progress. The elections will take place later this month, but there is unlikely to be much immediate change after that and the people, having finally stood up to the oppression, want things to happen now.......

But a bigger challenge to a holiday in Sharm would perhaps be actually getting there: Astraeus Airlines have just gone into receivership and there is concern of course over Thomas Cook/Thompson, who package heavily to the Red Sea. Have you decided on Sharm based on previous visit(s) or would you consider another resort out there?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Thomas Cook has some great deals at the moment :)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

But a bigger challenge to a holiday in Sharm would perhaps be actually getting there: Astraeus Airlines have just gone into receivership and there is concern of course over Thomas Cook/Thompson, who package heavily to the Red Sea. Have you decided on Sharm based on previous visit(s) or would you consider another resort out there?
    R
    No problems at Thomsons(TUI) flights a plenty to Sharm and our accountants will not be holding back on releasing 2011 figures ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phibes

R
    No problems at Thomsons(TUI) flights a plenty to Sharm and our accountants will not be holding back on releasing 2011 figures ;)
    That's reassuring to hear: I've got flights booked with them throughout the first half of 2012.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

I've been to sharm a few times we were there when the first trouble started last year ,the only reason we knew something was going on was because peoples mobile phones started going down and just before they were getting messages and we couldn't get any media news on the t v ,which was fine before it kicked off,the most daunting though was the news blackout .
    as i said the holiday went on as if nothing was wrong and we only found out the extent of what had really gone on about 9 days later when we got home.

I even wanted to go to israel we booked the trip but missed it because the guy who booked it for us gave us the wrong pick up time wether it was a blessing i don't know,
    we certainly did not see any trouble while we there ,but as raplh say's it could be case of getting someone to fly you there now if it gets any worse ,i usually use thomson mainly because i like to book a couple of weeks before i go .

if you do book make your sure insured in case of cancellation and supplier failure although a few travel agents normally include this with your booking.

would i go back this jan/feb most definatly yes, if i can get a flight.

We received two updates today from the Foreign Office and neither indicated any concerns re Sharm. In addition our resort teams have not advised of any problems as of yet.

Fingers crossed for no snow/ash related issues when you are due to travel.

Astraeus Airlines have just gone into receivership
    Were you a frequent Iron Maiden flyer?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Astraeus Airlines have just gone into receivership
    Were you a frequent Iron Maiden flyer?
    I was on one of his flights - but didn't make the connection between the captains announcement and his other life! It was only on a subsequent flight that I read an article in the in-flight mag.

R

Master

Never been to Sharm, but have been a number of times slightly further north on the Sinai at Taba, very close to the Israeli border at the Hilton - very nice indeed and we booked through Longwood Holidays 8)

Quote Originally Posted by genesos
    Thomas Cook has some great deals at the moment :)
    Hopefully Thomas Cook will still exist by March :lol:

Master

The Norfolk Broads are lovely at this time of year - no drunken university louts! :lol: plenty of mummies here - from the drunken university louts summer exploits! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Sharm's great. No worries there. The divings fantastic.
    I went last year before the uprising, it was OK but there was some unease. My wife and I decided not to go back this year because of the trouble. The people are persecuted by this regime, so when you chat to the locals they are very disenchanted.
    I used to dive in Sharm years ago the local situation did not really figure, but last year it was a beach holiday so we came into contact with the locals much more.
    I can’t visit countries where the population are being repressed, Tenerife for me and Mrs W this year. :)

we went to Taba last year and I was a bit underwhlemed to be honest. However i have heard that Sharm is better

Master

Egypt for a holiday?

Will this be an all inclusive type at a resort or are hi actual planning on sightseeing,,,,?