closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone on here do trackdays? Cars

Re: Anyone on here do trackdays? Cars

Quote Originally Posted by BenTaylor200
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    Very nice, is that a centrifugal clutch?
    Looks like a twin plate Quartermaster mated to a custom flywheel
    It was a quartermaster with twin sintered bronze plates, to brutal for road use really. The ring gear was actually a flex plate from an auto box and was only to get the car started, no flywheel, and old drag race trick to get the engine to spin up a bit quicker and free up a couple of HP.

Master

I did my one and only bit of drag racing at York a few years back. Much harder than it looks and very addictive trying to shave hundredths off your time. Best I managed that day was 13.06 at 116.97 and I was so annoyed that I didn't break in to the 12's.

Porsche 964RS Cup car - nearest the camera:

Favourite track is Spa, also enjoy Oulton, Donnington, Snetterton 300, Goodwood, Brands GP.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    I did my one and only bit of drag racing at York a few years back. Much harder than it looks and very addictive trying to shave hundredths off your time. Best I managed that day was 13.06 at 116.97 and I was so annoyed that I didn't break in to the 12's.

It's those hundredth's that cost the money. It was about six years ago when I was last there, managed to get down to low 12's but the tyres were the limitation, it was just spinning up the wheels for the first two gears. I was tempted to try it on slickery but that's when things start to break. In the Vette you were sitting virtually over the axle and if a driveshaft popped you would be likely to do your arse some damage.

:lol: :lol:

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../OpenPipes.mp4

I'll see how it goes for next summer, you never know what might find it's way under the "hood" of the old beemer. :D

Master

Lovely Vette 8) I've always like those.

Traction was terrible on the day but as you rightly say, at least that means the drivetrain doesn't get too much abuse :)

Craftsman

I've done a fair few firstly in my now sold 205 gti which was built simply for the track on slicks etc etc. Next i used the otherhalfs Ford racing puma which was frankly amazing even in full road trim.

I was thinking about taking the Tuscan on track though i dont think i would pass noise regs with my straight through cans on there! :twisted:

I've a mk1 focus RS , only done curbrough in her, deffinatly going on donnington next year! Lack of time seems to take over!

Master

Next year when I do Donington etc I will post up & see if anyone else wants to come along :wink:

Craftsman

Was at Donington on Sunday. :)
    Getting back to one of the original ideas on this thread.......
    It might be worth seeing if there is some sort of bulk buy discount at somewhere like bookatrack and see if we can get 10 TZ places or something like that at a good price, I've seen similar things done on other car based websites. ;)

Master

I'm up at Oulton on Friday if anyone fancies a few passenger laps.

Anyone on here do trackdays? Cars

Done quite a few in a Scoob, Alpha and others.

Just too expensive, 500 quid a pop at least

Master

Depends on the car and track day really.

Friday at Oulton is £75, fuel say £75, already got a trailer, using the same used slicks I bought 5 years ago for £100, still on the same race pads and discs too although just had to buy some new rear pads for £30. I'm lucky enough to live 30mins from the circuit so fuel to get there and back is maybe £30.

There is wear and tear on other components but so far I've been quite lucky. Mustn't forget to factor in £5 for a cooked breakfast though :)

I did a couple last year and loved it but felt the car needed some modifications to cope better, so decided this year to push the car to see what it could do,

3 track days later and 2 sets of front pads and over 300litres of fuel, sadly a £10 part called time and left me with a ruined bottom end and a £6.2k bill to get it going again

Don't get the bug and assume a road car will be sufficient, even with some tuning,

I'll be a little more circumspect next year......

yeah right, new engine has been built to cope with more extreme cornering and to cope with extended heat cycles and new bigger turbo too

So the bill is now the rebuild plus buying another car so I can still get to work on a Monday morning

in happier times

Depends on the weight of your car and the track, I used to put on a set of part worns on the Scoob and eat a set of pads, plus fuel and track insurance and you easily get to 500 quid

Master

For track days up here it's really just a choice Knockers or Knockers .

I was there last year at the end of the season on an "invite" . I got a bit bored as my car was so much quicker than any of the "school" cars so I handed it over to any of my host's guests who wanted a 4 lap "shottie"and it came back unscathed each time - mind you it's ridiculously easy to drive.

Costs - about 30 quid of fuel

I parted with it a couple of months ago, but the new owner has a chance of a car too good to miss so it's back up:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3454236.htm

Nothing to do with me now but if you want to have some serious fun* indeed on a track day you could do a lot worse for the money

Cheers
    JP

*oxymoron?

This is the only trackday car I've ever had :cry:

Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Jealous of you southern lot! Pretty thin on facilities up here :(

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya.
    Depends on the weight of your car and the track, I used to put on a set of part worns on the Scoob and eat a set of pads, plus fuel and track insurance and you easily get to 500 quid
    Speaking with owners on trackdays, Scoobys and Evos do seem pretty hard on tyres, brakes and fuel when pushed on the track.

This was my track day fun car that I actually used everyday for work for nearly 2 years.

Had decent Bilstein suspension, lowering springs, manifold and Group N exhaust when I got it. I then gradually stripped it out and turned it into this.... 4 point harnesses were fun for everyday use!

Which along with a set of these....

Made for a pretty rapid and fun track action!

Borrowed pic from Oulton Park

The car in all that time needed a couple of oil changes and a set of drop links and that was about it!! Cheap reliable track day fun!! I did Oulton and Aintree and had a brilliant laugh!!

I'd advise something along these lines to anyone looking to get into track days.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909
    I'm no expert, but those belts look like they're mounted awfully low - I thought you wanted them more or less horizontal from where they leave the seat to where they are mounted?

[quote=benny.c]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Daveya.":3egjesum
    Speaking with owners on trackdays, Scoobys and Evos do seem pretty hard on tyres, brakes and fuel when pushed on the track.[/quote:3egjesum]

Yep, heavy cars, they eat them.

The girls in Elise's don't have these problems

Quote Originally Posted by hotblack944
    Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909
    Photo removed to save me double quoting it
    I'm no expert, but those belts look like they're mounted awfully low - I thought you wanted them more or less horizontal from where they leave the seat to where they are mounted?
    In an ideal world, yes within 10 degrees of horizontal but the FIA allow up to 45 deg down which I prob wasn't far off...

As per this

The only way I could achieve the ideal would have been with a cage. I had someone lined up to install a full FIA spec weld in cage but due to an influx of points on my driving license (9 points to be precise!!) I decided to sell the car and get something boring with a view to getting a track only car in future that I can trailer to and from the track...

Master
    Blog Entries

Get youself an elise. Add the following.

Honda k20 engine and 6 speed box.
    Supercharger with a cooler and some other fancy bits. ( 350 bhp)
    Nitron suspension and some decent brake discs and pads.

They are pretty nippy and make a great road car too.

Bang for buck though radical will monster pretty much everything

Depends on the car and track day really.

Friday at Oulton is £75, fuel say £75, already got a trailer, using the same used slicks I bought 5 years ago for £100, still on the same race pads and discs too although just had to buy some new rear pads for £30. I'm lucky enough to live 30mins from the circuit so fuel to get there and back is maybe £30.

There is wear and tear on other components but so far I've been quite lucky. Mustn't forget to factor in £5 for a cooked breakfast though :)
    Car tyres used to last two or three meetings but this is after one day at Brands (and not the GP) on the bike;

Mark

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet
    For track days up here it's really just a choice Knockers or Knockers .

I was there last year at the end of the season on an "invite" . I got a bit bored as my car was so much quicker than any of the "school" cars so I handed it over to any of my host's guests who wanted a 4 lap "shottie"and it came back unscathed each time - mind you it's ridiculously easy to drive.

Costs - about 30 quid of fuel

I parted with it a couple of months ago, but the new owner has a chance of a car too good to miss so it's back up:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3454236.htm

Nothing to do with me now but if you want to have some serious fun* indeed on a track day you could do a lot worse for the money

Cheers
    JP

*oxymoron?

That is beyond awesome!!!

a few years back I took some sort of tuned STi Scooby (PPP?) to the track at Beford and it was rubbish on tyres and brakes. I also took an Elise there and while it was fine to drive I kept whacking my ankle whenever I changed down while braking. And the fixed seat gave me a bad back. If I was a bit more serious about track days I'd get some kind of R300 or similar. Did a couple of track days in an R300 and it was superb. Not good on straights though!
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Supprised as to how many on here enjoy trackdays 8)
    Will post up when & where I do them next yr so anyone else can sign up if they feel the urge :wink:

Craftsman

/\ Pics of your G40 please!

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve
    Supprised as to how many on here enjoy trackdays 8)
    Will post up when & where I do them next yr so anyone else can sign up if they feel the urge :wink:

http://www.apextrackdays.co.uk/

good set of blokes that run this! they had donnington last year, hopefully will have some again next year! they dont allow idiots so its all good!

Master

Starting the year off at Donington 11th March, Sunday.

It's with Focused Events, we have a GB on this so can get a good price.

Looking like Spa (24/25Mar) as the season opener for me. Though I will try to get to a UK day beforehand, perhaps Brands on Mar 1.

Ive got to make sure my brakes don't stick on after every application before i do a trackday :shock:

Master

Looking like Donny on the first weekend of March for me, would have started already but the weather has put paid to that.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Looking like Donny on the first weekend of March for me, would have started already but the weather has put paid to that.

We are at Dono on the Mar 11th Sun with focused events.
    Can get it for you for £125.10 :wink:

I head to the Nurburgring and then onto Spa for the Gold track event every year with a few mates. We also do Silverstone a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do any more at the meoment.

The annual Oulton Park Porsche RS day is my regular season opener - 9th of March this year.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

I may pop over and take a look. There's always some nice Pork about on the RS day.

There's always some nice Pork about on the RS day.
    Indeed - and my old banger
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

[quote=andy tims]
    Quote Originally Posted by "benny.c":272np2sf
    There's always some nice Pork about on the RS day.
    Indeed - and my old banger[/quote:272np2sf]
    Well, it's not air cooled, but it ain't all bad :wink:

Living in Scotland my only option is knockhill, good little circuit but heavy on the brakes.

Bedford aerodrome is my closest track - good place to start for beginners as it has nice wide run off areas.

Dont go so much now as i dont have a suitable car - started going now as a photographer though

Master

Donington next Sunday pop over if local :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

This a cheeky little all rounder for someone.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3707619.htm

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    a few years back I took some sort of tuned STi Scooby (PPP?) to the track at Beford and it was rubbish on tyres and brakes. I also took an Elise there and while it was fine to drive I kept whacking my ankle whenever I changed down while braking. And the fixed seat gave me a bad back. If I was a bit more serious about track days I'd get some kind of R300 or similar. Did a couple of track days in an R300 and it was superb. Not good on straights though!
    The standard S1 seats are not very comfy, easily sorted.

Head over to Oulton Park if you can next Friday (9th March) for one of the best T/days of the year.

The Annual Porsche RS Day.

Porsche only & mostly RS + GT3's driven by experienced trackdayers at quick pace.

I'll be there in my old banger (Silver Mk1 GT3 with black wheel centres). Bring a helmet (and a few quid for a charity donation) if you want a few brisk passenger laps from me or the others driving.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries

No track days this year due to the wedding, ballsed up there.