closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your thoughts about the Longines Legend Diver

Master

Re: What's your thoughts about the Longines Legend Diver

There is somethign quite appealing about an internal rotating bezel, the watch has decent dimensions, decetn movement, callos upon its heritage - as they say the old ones are the best, so it gets the thumbs up from me

Quote Originally Posted by Casper
    I had one of these and let it go recently to a forum member.

A very nice piece that drew much admiration and comment. Loved the weight and size of the dial and the engraved diver on the back is superb. I really hard to think long and hard of letting it go and changed my mind several times

Only (slight) criticism imo is the size of the hands as already mentioned, the dial is a bit "busy" and it was a bit shiny/glossy. I was always afraid of it scratching so easily.

Would I get another? - yout bet!! 8)
    Yeah well Casper, it ain't going "home" :lol: :wink: :lol:

I bought the date version but quickly passed it on as I didn't feel the date added anything to the design.

Fast forward a while and the no date made a welcome and permanent addition - cheers Casper :wink:

Although I don't agree at all with the minor critisisms I can appreciate why folks may find the hands small and flat (I like them as they are) the dial busy (it isn't) and the issued strap slight (it is but that's ok)

Some dodgy pics...

It lives on the shark.
    Gray

Look great IMO. Couple of Q's.... Is it a domed crystal/plexi? Is it crystal or plexi come to that? Also, any pics of one on a different strap? Maybe a toshi or similar?

I have the date version and I really wish I had opted for the non-date.

Build quality is excellent but the strap was a little disappointing (didnt help the watch 'sit' right on my wrist).

Craftsman

The LLD is good quality and very nice watches but IMHO buy pre-owned as they depreciate quite alot.

^^^^^Sapphire crystal, domed. Plenty of strap options Searchisyourfriendclickydalinky

^^^^^Depreciation is not as severe as many brands with used prices hanging around the £800 mark but, as with all brands, as the RRP rises this will creep up - if it hasn't already.

The box is huger than a huge thing and costs a fortune to ship.

Love the back :)

Gray

I have always like the super compressor design and the LLD but the only thing that put off instantly when I handled one was the indices on the internal bezel don't line up correctly with the dial indices which for me was the end of my LLD quest. It would be interesting to see if any owners out there have noted this and view it as a fault or design quirk or are not bothered?

^^^^^Do the bezel and hour indices look out of alignment on my pics above?
    Gray

I really want one, a ND version, but seeing that I currently want so many others as well its getting tricky!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by IJLBS survivor
    I have always like the super compressor design and the LLD but the only thing that put off instantly when I handled one was the indices on the internal bezel don't line up correctly with the dial indices which for me was the end of my LLD quest. It would be interesting to see if any owners out there have noted this and view it as a fault or design quirk or are not bothered?

The indices line up on mine, absolutely no issue there.

Well the one I handled in an AD would not line up properly - maybe I just had a 'lemon' - and if folks are happy with their watches then great...then again given my history of watches I seem to be a 'lemon watch' magnet...I cannot fault the design - it is a classy looking watch...

The LLD is a future classic, I will get my hands on one in the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by gray

A very nice piece that drew much admiration and comment. Loved the weight and size of the dial and the engraved diver on the back is superb. I really hard to think long and hard of letting it go and changed my mind several times

Only (slight) criticism imo is the size of the hands as already mentioned, the dial is a bit "busy" and it was a bit shiny/glossy. I was always afraid of it scratching so easily.

I bought the date version but quickly passed it on as I didn't feel the date added anything to the design.

Fast forward a while and the no date made a welcome and permanent addition - cheers Casper :wink:

Although I don't agree at all with the minor critisisms I can appreciate why folks may find the hands small and flat (I like them as they are) the dial busy (it isn't) and the issued strap slight (it is but that's ok)

Some dodgy pics...

It lives on the shark.
    Thanks for rubbing it in Graham :lol: Pleased its a keeper for you and You're wearing it as it should be worn and not left in a box in a loft :lol:

The inner rotating bezel should move around very smoothly and the markers should line up exactly. The one I had (Gray's one) certainly did.

I'm not sure if they're still in production?? I thought they weren't but I could be mistaken??

Casper

I picked a brand new one up yesterday from my local AD that I took as a makeweight in a deal for one of my watches. Not really my thing but I have to say that I was surprised by the quality feel and finish. And I've checked with a 10x loupe and the bezel markings line up perfectly with the dial markings, no issue at all.

Also, I think the date window is one of the most discreet and unobtrusive I've ever seen on a watch.

Have to agree about the box though, sleeps 4-6.

What's your thoughts about the Longines Legend Diver

Some dodgy pics...

It lives on the shark.
    Thanks for rubbing it in Graham :lol: Pleased its a keeper for you and You're wearing it as it should be worn and not left in a box in a loft :lol:

The inner rotating bezel should move around very smoothly and the markers should line up exactly. The one I had (Gray's one) certainly did.

I'm not sure if they're still in production?? I thought they weren't but I could be mistaken??

Casper
    No date is out of production. Date is still going strong

Next time you get your "secret" purchases from the loft think twice before selling :-)
    Gray

Master

Quote Originally Posted by grosby
    Quote Originally Posted by IJLBS survivor

The indices line up on mine, absolutely no issue there.
    Mine don't line up perfectly, but it isn't enough to put me off the watch. Curiously, there are times when they do seem to line up and times when they don't :?

I'm a big fan of Longines and will probably try the Legend at some stage. I think the strap is it's weak point, so would probably source a Tropic for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    I'm a big fan of Longines and will probably try the Legend at some stage. I think the strap is it's weak point, so would probably source a Tropic for it.
    I think you are so right about the strap.

I've always loved the compressor case style...this is the one I wish I could afford!!!

really like it, but i would rather spend money on omega po

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    Yes, a tropic would really suit this watch.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a worldwide shortage of black 22mm tropics.... :|

Unfortunately, there seems to be a worldwide shortage of black 22mm tropics.... :|
    Yep, Modena say they're out of stock till the new year. Mine's on a Di-Modell Jumbo which is ok, but the pics on here of the Tropic look great. To me (narrow wrists, I guess) the lug tips stick out unless the strap is thick at the lug end.

I tried a Bradystraps sailcloth, but it's too thin for me. PM me if you want to try one at reasonable cost without waiting for the delivery from the US.

Love mine (would have preferred no date but, hey, I was impatient!)

Here's mine when it was on a wapro rallye...

Quote Originally Posted by Draygo

Great pic, almost as cool as your animated avitar 8)
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Draygo
    Yep, Modena say they're out of stock till the new year. Mine's on a Di-Modell Jumbo which is ok, but the pics on here of the Tropic look great. To me (narrow wrists, I guess) the lug tips stick out unless the strap is thick at the lug end.

I tried a Bradystraps sailcloth, but it's too thin for me. PM me if you want to try one at reasonable cost without waiting for the delivery from the US.

You can get genuine (rather than Modena) 22mm Tropic straps from Squinky, but be prepared to pay £100+

I have owned my LLD since Feb 2009.
    The strap is weak.
    The watch is awesome.
    I have found my perfect strap now and its a Hirsch Carbon. Black with white stitch.
    V Similar to the original strap but better made.
    I am biased but this watch is cool, classy and robust and very retro.
    Plus very faithful to the original. Really well priced.
    I will never sell mine. Unlike a lot of my other purchases.....
    It has faults.
    Skinny hands, not enough lume.
    But then don't we all.
    Trying to find a good quality shark mesh now..
    Cheers,
    Oh I prefer the ND version.

longines have a soul i love them especially the older ones

Craftsman

I love the watch too. What are the lug to lug size?

Master

The dial is just far too busy - main offender are those, too long, minute marks :(

^^^No it isn't :P

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman
    I love the watch too. What are the lug to lug size?
    52mm - or 22mm depending on which way :wink:

The lugs curve down and taper so it doesn't seem that long on the wrist.
    Gray

Journeyman

I've just seen the size of the box for one of these. A family of four could live in one.

:shock:

Great pic, almost as cool as your animated avitar 8)
    Cheers mate. Quite a compliment coming from the owner of the wandering fly signature. :)

Beautiful, great value for money, very underrated and surprised it doesn't get a lot more love. I bought mine a couple of years ago when they first came out.

Master

Like many here I am beginning to warm to Longines having recently tried on the Moonphase from the Master Collection.

scooter

Craftsman

Sold mine recently (after 1 years ownership), nice watch but the crown action - both the screwing down and finding the position for time setting without hitting the date change position (mine was the non-date variety) eventually set me against it unfortunately.

Also agree with comments re the finishing of the hands.

I like the style though so if I could find something similar with industrial strength crowns I'd snap it up.

I had to sell mine and miss it terribly. At times I was unsure. I had mine on the OEM sailcloth strap and a Hirsch Ascent which was extremely comfortable and suited it down to the ground. I would have it back like a shot and keep it as an everday all rounder its a beautiful watch and oozes class.

I had the date version, they are around £1400 new or £1100 from Tn1 Heathrow. I got mine from Dan, DE30M, thanks mate hope all well, they pop up from time to time. The presentation box is massive.

Good Luck with the search. If you get one and provided you like it don't ever sell.

Regards

Ben
    Ps Unless its to me, dirt cheap ;)

Master

Mine won a weekend's wear in the Friday night fight. It conquered some pretty well regarded and exotic contenders with fearsome reputations and equally fearsome price tags. :lol:

Stupid box.
    Crap strap and buckle
    Great watch.
    Would be happy to have one again

Did have a substitute for a short while but found it a little bit too small for my 7.5" wrist

ive got the LLD date version, i like it. Prefer it to the non date, personally.

sometimes when i look at it at a certain angle i think the bezel marks dont line up, but to me its a bit of an optical illsion- they do- at least on mine!!

nice piece of kit i find the strap comfy too as well, albeit i think i might try some of the combos suggested earlier- for variety

t

Just bought one without the date just under 12 months old, arriving tomorrow :)
    I payed around £850 from a swedish seller which feels more than ok.

Hopefully this will be a keeper, i have had my eyes on one for a long time.
    I'm thinking about changing the strap though...
    Anyone know where to buy tropical straps of good quality?

/V