closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Help please

Omega Speedmaster Help please

Hi all.
    I have been offered this Omega Speedmaster.
    The owner is genuine (as far as my brother in law works with him)

The serial number can be read as 53520013
    Please excuse the pictures.

I'm not sure if they are any help.

What else should I be looking for.

No box.
    No papers.

He is asking £800?

I trust you guys to give me an honest view.

Re: Omega Speedmaster Help please

it is a Speedmaster automatic.
    Looks to be from about 1990, I'm not too up on the autos so can't comment too much.
    Looks ok I suppose, you need better scans and should open the snap back, a sharp knife will do it.
    You neede to check ALL the functions work and that it keeps good time
    I think 800 bangers is too expensive.

Good luck, Colin.

I have been following eBay to gauge values.
    But as I am unsure of the model I'm not sure which sales represent this model in terms of value.

Thank you for the response.

Not sure if eBay is the best place - ESP at this time of year - seems to be overinflated in the run up to Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by purdster
    Not sure if eBay is the best place - ESP at this time of year - seems to be overinflated in the run up to Christmas
    Ah yes true.
    Can anyone identify the Model?

Without being too rude, you'd have to be on drugs to buy that over a regular Speedmaster. I would spend a bit more and get a proper one.

sold the same watch a year ago for 600gbp with no papers

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack
    Without being too rude, you'd have to be on drugs to buy that over a regular Speedmaster. I would spend a bit more and get a proper one.
    You're not being rude.
    Why is this not a regular Speedmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by lovewatches
    sold the same watch a year ago for 600gbp with no papers
    Thanks, as good a valuation.

Quote Originally Posted by jem0911
    You're not being rude.
    A normal Speedmaster is the one with a black face. It's more discreet and classy, and with some history.
    Picture here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

The one shown in the original thread is an automatic model, 38mm case "mid sized"
    The "original" Speedmaster is a manual wind 42mm cased model, commonly described as the moonwatch.
    There are quite well known problems with the auto movements.
    Manual wind 321/861/1861 movements are bulletproof.
    Manual wind, full sized versions are more desirable and make more money.
    Horses for courses really, up to you.
    Once again I would not like to say whether the one in the pics is genuine or not.
    Colin.
    You're not being rude.
    A normal Speedmaster is the one with a black face. It's more discreet and classy, and with some history.
    Picture here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

Grand Master

You're not being rude.
    That's unhelpful TBH. A "normal Speedmaster" is an Omega Speedmaster. What you are talking about is a specific model these days, the Professional. It's not really the same as the original Speedmaster, either.

The OP's Speedmaster is a perfectly fine watch with a strong movement that's not horrible to service, but it is quite old already, so unless it's been well looked after and recently serviced, he'll have to factor in the cost of a service. The 19mm lugs are a bit limiting if you want to fit a strap but if it'll only ever stay on the bracelet, no problem.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

think I prefer the look of the classic speedmaster rather than this style - personal preference though

Grand Master

Not exactly comparing like with like...... :roll: ......I own a similar watch (bicolour version) and a Speedy reduced 3510.50. Both chosen by me because they suit a smaller wrist better than the full sized Speedy....and I`ve never taken drugs in my life.

Some people actually chose the smaller models for a good reason.

As for the OPs questions, the photos are really too poor to enable anyone to give a clear answer. The model dates from mid-90s to mid 2000s. Unable to comment about its condition because the pics are crap.

£800 isn`t a bad price......but it really does depend on the condition. If it needs refinishing and servicing there will be additional costs involved.

As for removing the back, these are v. difficult to get off and I would only attempt it with the correct tools.

My Speedy reduced has a 586....... serial number and the watch dates from mid 2004, so this one's definitely older.

Paul

I'm not convinced it's good value. For that price I'd want box and papers.

It is a Speedy Date- not a regular Speedy Pro.

You're not being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr
    Manual wind 321/861/1861 movements are bulletproof.
    I had two 1861s, from new, that were far from bullet proof.
    #1 Gained 5 minutes in 20 seconds after a full wind.
    #2 was +1 second an hour, so +24 a day or twice the spec'ed rate.

Despite really being attracted by the looks and history, those faults on new Speedies and appalling Omega service, did it for me with that watch and possibly the brand.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Thanks for all the responses and great detail.
    Its much appriciated.
    I will have the watch in the flesh this weekend and see how much work it needs.

Get an original is my vote.
    Go vintage aswell.
    Keep your eyes open and £1200 should get you a nice one.
    Possible option on birth year also..
    I have a 67 cal 321 which is my favourite watch..

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    That's unhelpful TBH. A "normal Speedmaster" is an Omega Speedmaster. What you are talking about is a specific model these days, the Professional. It's not really the same as the original Speedmaster, either.

The OP's Speedmaster is a perfectly fine watch with a strong movement that's not horrible to service, but it is quite old already, so unless it's been well looked after and recently serviced, he'll have to factor in the cost of a service. The 19mm lugs are a bit limiting if you want to fit a strap but if it'll only ever stay on the bracelet, no problem.
    I wasn't trying to be unhelpful, quite the opposite in fact. There are of course restrictions when viewing the forum on a phone, compared to a laptop on how easy it is to provide lots of info.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Not exactly comparing like with like...... :roll: ......I own a similar watch (bicolour version) and a Speedy reduced 3510.50. Both chosen by me because they suit a smaller wrist better than the full sized Speedy....and I`ve never taken drugs in my life.

Some people actually chose the smaller models for a good reason.

As for the OPs questions, the photos are really too poor to enable anyone to give a clear answer. The model dates from mid-90s to mid 2000s. Unable to comment about its condition because the pics are crap.

£800 isn`t a bad price......but it really does depend on the condition. If it needs refinishing and servicing there will be additional costs involved.

As for removing the back, these are v. difficult to get off and I would only attempt it with the correct tools.

My Speedy reduced has a 586....... serial number and the watch dates from mid 2004, so this one's definitely older.

Paul

Paul, you're taking my comment on drugs far too literally. I know it's difficult to portray sarcasm in written form, but come on, I didn't mean it. Maybe yours is sarcasm too :lol:

I have no problem with different versions of the speedmaster, I in fact own a Speedmaster reduced and a Broadarrow. I much prefer the reduced for looks and sentimental value. Most watch enthusiast will say about the Speedmaster reduced having an inferior movement etc etc, but I still love mine. Would I chose a reduced over a pro, no, and nor would most people with the price variation. I personally think the OP pictured version is awful, but that's my personal taste only.

If there is no service history with the watch I would factor that in and in any case £800 is too much.

£600 - £650 would be a realistic price asuming no issues with the condition which is dificult to tell from the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr
    There are quite well known problems with the auto movements.
    In the Speedmaster Reduced maybe, but this is a Speedmaster Date which has a 7750-based movement :wink: