closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should I buy an Autozilla?

Should I buy an Autozilla?

I've been going back and forth on this one, brilliant watch but I just can't get my head round the fact that they used the cheapo 8203 movement in a watch like that :twisted:

Then again, I look at it and think that maybe the movementt doesn't matter all that much :drunken:

(borrowed pic)

I'd appreciate it if owners posted their thoughts about the 'Zilla. Pics would be great too :D

Re: Should I buy an Autozilla?

Dont worry about the movement!

Look at it, i'd love one if i had bigger wrists!

I dont have an Auto-Zilla but i do have an Eco Drive version of that and i love it!

And i would buy an Auto-Zilla if i had chance LOL

If the movement works and fit for the job, why worry.

It's our knowledge that leads to our downfall at times :lol:

Yeah, get one.... I love mine, its big but not as heavy as it looks, get it on the Suppa adapters and enjoy strap options, I have mine on a thick 24mm Zulu and it looks super bad assed :lol:
    The bezel removal feature is cool too ....
    On leather:
    Cheers..
    Jase

I can't think of a good reason not to by one of these, a very good watch imo.

So long as the movement used is reliable, would a more expensive movement make any tangible difference to owning this watch?

Can't help with the Autozilla, but I did have an Ecozilla and they are brilliant VFM :)

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM
    Yeah, get one.... I love mine, its big but not as heavy as it looks, get it on the Suppa adapters and enjoy strap options, I have mine on a thick 24mm Zulu and it looks super bad assed :lol:
    On leather:

That looks just great!

It's a lot of watch at the right price.

Just remember - some v expensive brands pop in quartz :blackeye:
    It's just a matter of time...

Stern old boy I would have to be in the no camp I'm afraid, waaaaay to big and top heavy for me and based upon your current collection I think you may end up feeling the same IMHO :wink:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Oversized with all the bad and good that goes with it. As a tool watch to be used presumably for shortish periods of time I would have thought a reliable and robust movement was in keeping with the functional nature of the piece.

Craftsman

Nope, it's trying too hard to be a tool watch (and missing).

Thanks for your input gents, it's definitely big but maybe I ought to try one before I decide if it's too big. Not many 'zillas floating about in the shops though.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    Stern old boy I would have to be in the no camp I'm afraid, waaaaay to big and top heavy for me and based upon your current collection I think you may end up feeling the same IMHO :wink:
    In other words, Stern old boy, you're too much of a wimp to carry off a bad-ass diver like that. Cheers for that mate :lol: :D

Quote Originally Posted by steve1ramsey1
    Really? I would be interested in why you think this...
    I think its a great diving tool watch.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Agreed it is a very impressive Dive watch for sure! :)

...and I'm still waiting for that pic of your Zilla on the Zulu :D

Ultimate badass diver :D :P :D

So do I. Clear to read dial/hand combo, great lume and easy-to-adjust bezel: a good all-round package that sits comfortably on or off a wet-suit.

Looks good on a strap too (poor pic ):

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Great looking watch. Best get in the gym to build up some guns to be able to lug it about. Would love to see one on the wrist...

Had one for a while, an impressive thing for sure but just way too big for me so i moved it on, it's a real lump on the wrist

Master

I had one of the titanium Ecozillas that I wore on and off for about a year, I only had one wish, and that was that it was automatic. I would probably still have it if it was automatic, so i would say go for it

Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    So long as the movement used is reliable, would a more expensive movement make any tangible difference to owning this watch?

Resurrection of a thread...

Got one exactly 13 hours ago so this is a fresh opinion... I was afraid that it would prove huge, which it is - no denying that. However it wears much smaller than the numbers would suggest due to itīs relatively low weight and the fact that it sits snug on my wrist - not too tight, not too loose, just perfect. Mind that this is winter time, in summer I probably will need to wear it the next hole which might turn the situation as "slightly loose". Nevertheless this is easy to change with a bit of strapvaganza :lol:

I am positively surprised not just because itīs wears nice but because the finish is much better than I expected counting out two things: crown threads which, whilst they work superbly, are a bit anemic (read very fine and I could use a few finger turns more) compared to those on most Seiko divers and the fact that I dislike immensely all 60 click bezelīs. I am not sure whether some of these have nowadays 120 clicks, if so I would prefer such a specimen. Continuing on the bezel (and again I compare it to most Seikoīs here) I dont like the fact that there is not that much to grip it whilst turning it - yeah, the big "cigar" cutouts let you do it with no drama but I personally put a lot of weight on "tactile attributes" when appraising a watch - that is how it feels when operating on setting, bezel turning etc.

Verdict: this one, on a sense, feels to me bit like my former B&M Capeland S XXL - both it and the Autozilla have great specs and would probably do extremely well in actual diving. Still I feel that both of these watches share a trait that I could only describe as "look but donīt touch tool watch design" - they are rugged yet elegant on a macho way if you will. So, whilst the Autozilla goes way beyond the specs of your typical SKX007 it is my opinion than it, rather than the watch discussed herein, is the actual real world tool diver which operation, in feel, is shared with that of a fine socket wrench. This thing then, like the B&M Capeland S XXL, is first and foremost - IMHO - a cool show and tell piece that can actually deliver what itīs looks promise. More of a lover instead of a fighter yet one capable of mayhem in the very unlikely situation where s*it actually would hit the fan so to speak :lol:

If there ever were a television show entitled PIMP my dive watch I think something like the Autozilla would do excellently on the opening show 8)

Do I like it? Yeah. A lot. Itīs a super cool watch which, with the easily obtainable third party adaptors and straps, morphs almost endlessly not much different from PAMīs.

Would I choose it if I had to go harms way? No, but Iīd had a hard time passing the SKX007 if had to choose an automatic watch.

Thanks,

J.

The Autozilla on mesh is divine. As long as it runs reliably it doesn't matter about the movement.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Great follow up post, thanks...

I still need to take some bad assed Nato / Zulu photos , maybe you will beat me to it.. :)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Yes, it is a great watch, even if the movement is not the greatest the overall finish is also ALOT beter then the EcoZilla...

Go go it!

On leather:
    WOW, that combo look great!

chunky. great watch

I'm assuming you can also use it as an ashtray?
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by masterkiller
    Yes, it is a great watch, even if the movement is not the greatest the overall finish is also ALOT beter then the EcoZilla...

Go go it!
    Hi! In what way is the finish better?

Blog Entries

Stern,

It's a very ugly oversized lump of titanium, don't do it!!
    I couldn't live with that simple Miyota, as robust and reliable as it may be.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

The Eco would make sense if you're only going to wear it occasionally. It could sit on the windowsill the rest of the time and frighten the local cats...

Seriously, great watch - loads of character. (Looks good on leather too, as per earlier pic).

Quote Originally Posted by byterofta
    Quote Originally Posted by masterkiller

Go go it!
    Hi! In what way is the finish better?
    Hard to say, I owned the EcoZilla in the past and I have handled the AutoZilla and the AZ was superior in finsh to me anyway...

Here's an interesting thread showing how the autozilla looks disassembled (movement/case).
    http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/t ... #msg163203