closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Doxa - are they worth the money

Blog Entries

Doxa - are they worth the money

I'm currently looking for a nice (near) new watch. And Doxa crossed my minds. A long time ago I decided never to buy a new Doxa: I don't like the sales policy of that company (they decided what the euro - dollar exchange rate is...), but I like the look of their watches. So, are they any good when buying a pre owned? Worth the money etc. Do's and don'ts.

In a short: please educate me.

Menno

Re: Doxa - are they worth the money

As you seem to already be "in-know" about DOXA and the policy and so forth - and if you are okay with that - I see no probem buying one. Especially not pre-owned.

Quality seems fine.

I hunted an orange dial DOXA for the longest time and finally got one. After years of searching for the right used one, I was underwhelmed when I finally got it. I never wore and ended up selling it.

That how ever does not change, that the quality seemed quite okay.

If you want one, go for it. You can always deceide later whether or not to keep it. They seem to shift easy enough.

Had two and liked them both a lot, they just didn't turn out to be keepers. Very well built, but I think they're a much better bet pre-owned (but so much is).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Cushion shape case is so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Doxa crossed my minds. A long time ago I decided never to buy a new Doxa: I don't like the sales policy of that company
    The DOXA representative does not take kindly to discussions about the DOXA sales policy .... :mrgreen:

On a more serious note: I am not in the market for a DOXA myself (again) and though one can keep the horrible DOXA debacle in mind, I must say, that truth be told, there are far worse watches out there.

If you like DOXAs, get one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i had one and really liked it.
    built like a tank.

I had a 1000T & now have a 750 GMT - very good s/h buys.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries

I think they are superb and there is there is a very fine example on SC right now. :lol:
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman

Only if you're a Fanboy or turning Chinese!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeL_GHzLg74

I own a french military almost pre doxa divingstar. And I love it!

Yaffle

As a cussler fan I'm obliged to like Doxa - currently own a quartz aquaman in the mandatory orange, but would like to swap it for an auto eventually :)

Master

Hi Menno

I just got my first Doxa a 1200T Pro with the lovely orange dial and I have to say I am so impressed with the quality of this watch. It is built to last and I love the retro design with the fat minute hand, thin hour hand and that square on the end of the seconds hand they are worth the money. I had a Seiko MM300 which I loved but I had to sell it and get my wife Linda a new iMac for her work as hers was old, the MM always felt slightly top heavy and for that reason I wouldn't get another but the Doxa feels so right and for me I much prefer it :) so go for it but they are hard to find outside of the States.

I was informed indirectly from IWW's Jack try best not to get the super vintage ones as parts are difficult to procure in the event when you need to get repairs. Perhaps a seventies one would be good. Do not quite fancy the new ones myself, seems like those new cars with the same model, a little additional to the curvy lights and they call it new generation.... :?

Master

emstudio

You are wrong about the new ones I have a 1200 and it is based on the old 300 in size dimension etc it looks so similar and the quality is rock solid you would change your opinion if you handle one in the flesh they are superb watches.

Blog Entries

I had a close look at the one for sale at the SC. A really fine looking watch. But when I found out what the dimensions are, I really think it's a little too large for my wrist (45mm). I have to find out if the others are similar sized. Someone posted a 750 GMT on the Dutch watchforum earlier today. Now, that looks nice too.

Menno

Master

Menno

I have the 1200 it is 42mm I have a 6.5" wrist and the size is perfect :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    I had a close look at the one for sale at the SC. A really fine looking watch. But when I found out what the dimensions are, I really think it's a little too large for my wrist (45mm). I have to find out if the others are similar sized. Someone posted a 750 GMT on the Dutch watchforum earlier today. Now, that looks nice too.

Menno
    it wears a LOT smaller than its written dimensions suggest because of the cushion case and the dial size.

I have a couple of non sub doxa's. - both dress watches - one vintage, one modern but the modern one has been worn daily for 3 years (mostly). Have to say I like them and would have a sub

Since you asked - you should buy a watch based on what you think, not others. Nevertheless, overpriced Chinese watches with rabid proponents and uncouth employees. And they are on the ugly side. :)
    Worth the money as in feel good when wearing or resale value?

Blog Entries

I've also been wondering about the quality. I love the looks, but quality needs an owners opinion. What do you mean by the sales problem? Just price or costumer service?

Master

yonsson,

I would ignore the comment above as it is only his opinion. Ugly :shock: Hmmm I think not, but we all like different things but to come on here and post totally negative comments when you don't really know that much about Doxa watches or their history is a little irritating! and uncouth employees :shock: You are talking about the moderators on WUS not the people you deal with direct at Doxa, the moderators don't have a great reputation I agree, but deal direct with Doxa or even their live chat and they are very good indeed. It is all down to personal preference but for me I have recently got my first Doxa and I can tell you it is far from ugly, the quality is really superb, it is so well made and the watch feels real quality and in the flesh it is stunning. I had a seiko MM300 which I sold recently as I needed the money for something at home, I loved the MM300 but this Doxa to me is a nicer watch with that lovely retro cushion case it sits so comfy on the wrist whereas the MM300 always felt slightly top heavy. The MM300 was a quality watch and for me quality wise the Doxa is up there with it, and it has a better bracelet as I felt the MMs bracelet felt a bit tinny for a watch of that price point, but you pay your money and take your choice but you won't regret getting a Doxa they are a little different :)

I had a Doxa 750T Searambler for a while. Beautiful watch and very well made. I liked its 60s design and overall quality a lot, it felt very solid. When the time came, I could trade it in an instant. It also ran within COSC-norm, although it was not a chronometer.

Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage
    yonsson,

I would ignore the comment above as it is only his opinion. Ugly :shock: Hmmm I think not, but we all like different things but to come on here and post totally negative comments when you don't really know that much about Doxa watches or their history is a little irritating! and uncouth employees :shock: You are talking about the moderators on WUS not the people you deal with direct at Doxa, the moderators don't have a great reputation I agree, but deal direct with Doxa or even their live chat and they are very good indeed. It is all down to personal preference but for me I have recently got my first Doxa and I can tell you it is far from ugly, the quality is really superb, it is so well made and the watch feels real quality and in the flesh it is stunning. I had a seiko MM300 which I sold recently as I needed the money for something at home, I loved the MM300 but this Doxa to me is a nicer watch with that lovely retro cushion case it sits so comfy on the wrist whereas the MM300 always felt slightly top heavy. The MM300 was a quality watch and for me quality wise the Doxa is up there with it, and it has a better bracelet as I felt the MMs bracelet felt a bit tinny for a watch of that price point, but you pay your money and take your choice but you won't regret getting a Doxa they are a little different :)
    Bwahahaha - drink any kool-aid recently, JMHO of course? :mrgreen: I've had dealings with uncouth Doxa employees and I do believe one was on the WUS forum as a moderator not too long ago, hence my opinion, which is what was asked for. I do think they are ugly, which goes back to my comment that he shouldn't buy if he's looking for opinions to put him over the edge. I think they're ugly, you don't and OP doesn't know. But then you bought a MM300 which I find one of the most overrated shiny watches of this decade. :D

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

You're buying the watch.
    Doxa watches these days are built like tanks. The tired Chinese jokes about their origins have been debunked so that can be counted as not much more than wind and p*ss from detractors.
    Personal taste is personal business so if YOU like them, that's what really counts. Opinion is divided of course, so picking between people's opinions who have had ownership experience and people's opinions who rely on trashing and insult, is entirely up to you. :)

Master

I would love a Sub 1200T,it's a unique watch,but these days a little too expensive new,when you add in import taxes etc.
    I had a Sub 1000T,and regret flipping it.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    The tired Chinese jokes about their origins have been debunked so that can be counted as not much more than wind and p*ss from detractors.
    Debunk this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZQ_IBKV ... re=related

Quote Originally Posted by roadkingrider
    The tired Chinese jokes about their origins have been debunked so that can be counted as not much more than wind and p*ss from detractors.
    You debunk it
    Gray

I don't know much about them but personally love the look of them. Probably get one eventually as I need another orange divers for the collection.

Craftsman

I dont speak any form of chinese, but to me that looked like they were marketing the brand to young wealthy chinese, probably Rolex do something similar all the time.

did doxa used to make their own movements in the olders 70s versions or have they always used movements from others ?

they do look good but i've never handled one in the flesh.

lots of other things I would rather spend my money on before one though.

Master

This was one I (briefly) owned:

Case shape was really nice and comfy:

PVD finish was OK, got worn in the usual places so no real drama there:

Dial finish was a bit uneven in places, it had a glossy dial that showed up every slight imperfection.

I am no Doxa expert and don't know the history of the company but it was OK, didn't leave me wanting another though, unlike other watches which I have flipped and then bought, twice and even thrice over.

Blog Entries

yonsson...
    Thanks!!

And who cares if they have a Chinese connection? I don't buy things because of it's origin. Businesses gets bought for the brand name and history all the time...
    If I cared about the origin, I wouldn't be rocking a ipad and iphone. :mrgreen: , I would only buy swedish stuff like Volvo, ericsson and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    yonsson...
    Thanks!!

And who cares if they have a Chinese connection? I don't buy things because of it's origin. Businesses gets bought for the brand name and history all the time...
    If I cared about the origin, I wouldn't be rocking a ipad and iphone. :mrgreen: , I would only buy swedish stuff like Volvo, ericsson and IKEA.
    Volvo is owned by the Chinese :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries

[quote=Chris_in_the_UK]
    Quote Originally Posted by "andy armitage":25z3c34t
    yonsson...
    Thanks!!

Volvo is owned by the Chinese :lol:[/quote:25z3c34t]
    Blasphemy! Volvo is Swedish, but one part is owned by the Americans (Ford), and Volvos are even made in my hometown. The truck department is still owned 100% by Volvo.

[quote=yonsson][quote=Chris_in_the_UK][quote=yonsson][quote="andy armitage":3f64fosk]yonsson...[/quote]
    Thanks!!

If I cared about the origin, I wouldn't be rocking a ipad and iphone. :mrgreen: , I would only buy swedish stuff like Volvo, ericsson and IKEA.[/quote]

Volvo is owned by the Chinese :lol:[/quote]
    Blasphemy! Volvo is Swedish, but one part is owned by the Americans (Ford), and Volvos are even made in my hometown. The truck department is still owned 100% by Volvo.[/quote:3f64fosk]

Really ? :lol:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars[/url] :wink:

Blog Entries

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

You want me to debunk a launch and what looks like a new ambassador?

I will as soon as I've finished spreading the word that Tudor is made by Tiger Woods.

Is this the Doxa icon? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    It's a new model line Chris called the orangatang, well that's how Doxa are spelling it anyway :wink:

Cheers,
    Gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    He is their test pilot for sub 1000m. :drunken:

Craftsman

You debunk it or perhaps ask Mr. Jenny to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1NFx1y ... re=related